• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STANTON to the Yanks.:gaah:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees are giving up Starlin Castro and good, but not top prospects for Stanton.

It looks like the Yankees will not have a place for Bryce Harper a year from now.

Yankees, Marlins Reach Deal For Stanton; Still Awaiting His Approval

Well Marlins showed their hand early and Stsnton was vetoing likely better returns. Yanks then had all the leverage.

IMO the GM work here was terrible.

Yanks took on a big contract although he could opt out but they did not give up there best as you said and Castro and others on the market as MarlinS continue to shred.

This putting a bad team out there is just something MLB should not reward.

So much politics on this industry. SMH

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking that we need to develop a #1, #3 and #4 over the next 2 years or so in order to get back to the level of WS contender. Then we have to be able to sign a #2 at some point. Even if we developed all of those guys it would take a year or two in the big leagues before they were ready to reach their potential.

At least by that time we will know if we need to replace Odor and we should hopefully be able to find a catcher in that time as well. In the mean time we need to draft well in case we have to trade some prospects in a few years to finish out our team.

That is going to take a lot of skilled development and a good amount of luck.

It always takes some luck. And maybe Odor can develop. Gallo did much better than predicted so lightning could strike twice.

Really hard to predict the future but we have some good arms at lower levels

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It always takes some luck. And maybe Odor can develop. Gallo did much better than predicted so lightning could strike twice.

Really hard to predict the future but we have some good arms at lower levels
I don't think Gallo has performed as well as predicted yet. He did better in 20017 than many on here thought he would do at this time last year. He has a ways to go before he becomes what we all thought a couple of years ago he could eventually become. I still think he will though.

The luck we will need to be highly successful within a few years is a whole lot more luck than we have had in the past in that kind of time frame.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another SS prospect. We keep stockpiling those and so far the only one that has panned out is one we traded for in Elvis.

Young SS prospects and NL starting pitchers are JD's two favorite kind of acquisitions.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another SS prospect. We keep stockpiling those and so far the only one that has panned out is one we traded for in Elvis.

Young SS prospects and NL starting pitchers are JD's two favorite kind of acquisitions.

From what I read SS and pitchers ar the most players drafted by all. Thinkin it is the athleticism. Thinking many change positions. Re NL pitchers...give it a rest. Guess many are bummed about strange turn of events.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Gallo has performed as well as predicted yet. He did better in 20017 than many on here thought he would do at this time last year. He has a ways to go before he becomes what we all thought a couple of years ago he could eventually become. I still think he will though.

The luck we will need to be highly successful within a few years is a whole lot more luck than we have had in the past in that kind of time frame.

Yes will need a lot of things to go right to compete this year To get over the top. HUGE luck. Gallo should improve.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see us competing this year.

Can't see how even the most optimistic of us can disagree with this.

When was the last time JD did something in the winter meetings. It's been awhile. Don't see him doing much in this one either.

This year, the lack of moves/acquisitions, may be part of the design though, and I'm not sure that's an all bad thing either.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees print money, so I get their desire to get Stanton. But I sure am happy the Rangers didn't attempt to get involved with this.

The mere thought of owing a guy around $270 million who's had the injury problems he's had would scare me to death, regardless of what minor assets I had to give up to get him.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees print money, so I get their desire to get Stanton. But I sure am happy the Rangers didn't attempt to get involved with this.

The mere thought of owing a guy around $270 million who's had the injury problems he's had would scare me to death, regardless of what minor assets I had to give up to get him.

Word is some Yank fans would have rather spent money on pitching. They are probably not done but LAD did not offer as much due to luxury tax penalties.

Still those short fences will bring a lot of homers but there should be an increase in strikeouts.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time JD did something in the winter meetings. It's been awhile. Don't see him doing much in this one either.

I would expect some money spent on the international market. We need a splash or two to find real optimism.

The Ohtani signing is a gut punch. Just can't see why he would want to share DH with Albert P. Sounds just like he like LA area and proximity to AZ where he trained. He really toyed with clubs. Not a fan of this process. Also the luxury of a yanks makes me sick as well. So we should get young controllable pieces that we can flip if we don't make any playoff noise.

So yes this was a pretty bad last few days for Ranger baseball and their fans especially these fans here who live out baseball 12 months a year. Personally trying to keep the faith but at a pretty low point.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect some money spent on the international market. We need a splash or two to find real optimism.

The Ohtani signing is a gut punch. Just can't see why he would want to share DH with Albert P. Sounds just like he like LA area and proximity to AZ where he trained. He really toyed with clubs. Not a fan of this process. Also the luxury of a yanks makes me sick as well. So we should get young controllable pieces that we can flip if we don't make any playoff noise.

So yes this was a pretty bad last few days for Ranger baseball and their fans especially these fans here who live out baseball 12 months a year. Personally trying to keep the faith but at a pretty low point.
You have plenty of company.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see how even the most optimistic of us can disagree with this.

This year, the lack of moves/acquisitions, may be part of the design though, and I'm not sure that's an all bad thing either.
i'm afraid it's time to trade some our veterans and start a rebuild.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo must go. Not easy to do but he is blocking players that need to be playing 2018. In addition, hope we trade Hamel as well. How do you guys feel about trading Beltre. Could we get a decent return considering his age?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo must go. Not easy to do but he is blocking players that need to be playing 2018. In addition, hope we trade Hamel as well. How do you guys feel about trading Beltre. Could we get a decent return considering his age?

Yes this is exactly how I feel about Choo. He is blocking others.

I hate to trade others just yet but Hamels maybe at the break. We are just so short on pitching. Would have to be pitching for pitching. Beltre may have to make the request which I think he might if we don't land another pitcher. If going further there then you consider Elvis due to his opt out. I don think we make these types of dumps though just yet.

The minus on losing Hamels and Beltre is the mentoring they provide for the young guys coming up.