• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for we experts to guess again. Hopefully we get Yu at least and another big fish or two.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here is our guy. Tough miss on Ohtani

Still trying to figure out ABs for him although AP is often on DL. 1B. LMHO

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Yu and would welcome him back, but I just don't see where that gets us without another TORP to pair with him. I just don't see Hamels as being more than a #3 on a WS contender.

Then of course there is the unknown as far as Fister and Minor are concerned.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we now have to sign at least 2 TOR starters or just hang it up. a rotation of Hamels, Minor, Fister, Perez and Bush(?) ain't going to cut it

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think i would rather have both
I doubt they can afford both, but even if they could I am not sure that would be enough pitching talent near the top of the rotation.

One guy I don't want is Arrieta.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking that we need to develop a #1, #3 and #4 over the next 2 years or so in order to get back to the level of WS contender. Then we have to be able to sign a #2 at some point. Even if we developed all of those guys it would take a year or two in the big leagues before they were ready to reach their potential.

At least by that time we will know if we need to replace Odor and we should hopefully be able to find a catcher in that time as well. In the mean time we need to draft well in case we have to trade some prospects in a few years to finish out our team.

That is going to take a lot of skilled development and a good amount of luck.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking that we need to develop a #1, #3 and #4 over the next 2 years or so in order to get back to the level of WS contender. Then we have to be able to sign a #2 at some point. Even if we developed all of those guys it would take a year or two in the big leagues before they were ready to reach their potential.

At least by that time we will know if we need to replace Odor and we should hopefully be able to find a catcher in that time as well. In the mean time we need to draft well in case we have to trade some prospects in a few years to finish out our team.

Good luck with the Rangers developing their starting pitching. All they have lately is Perez.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with the Rangers developing their starting pitching. All they have lately is Perez.
It would definitely take a lot better job than they have done since Harrison, Holland and Feliz came up. Two of them they had to trade for and that might be the key now, that is if JD could ever be convinced to trade away present talent for the future like he did when we acquired Harrison and Feliz.

Our future doesn't look too rosy right now.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the problem i have with that plan is twofold: first we haven't done a good job of developing TORP so to expect us to do it now within a 2 or 3 year period and to do it with a #1much less a #2 & #3 is totally unrealistic; and second what does the team do over those 5+ years while they wait for them to develop? we lose Hamels after 2018 so bring a couple of TORP now, hope Minors comes back to form and provides a #3 and fit Jarado, Ragans or which ever pitcher is ready in our minor league system behind them. then as they reach TORP levevel move them up

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we now have to sign at least 2 TOR starters or just hang it up. a rotation of Hamels, Minor, Fister, Perez and Bush(?) ain't going to cut it
The only thing that rotation would do would be to secure a top 3 draft pick

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem i have with that plan is twofold: first we haven't done a good job of developing TORP so to expect us to do it now within a 2 or 3 year period and to do it with a #1much less a #2 & #3 is totally unrealistic; and second what does the team do over those 5+ years while they wait for them to develop? we lose Hamels after 2018 so bring a couple of TORP now, hope Minors comes back to form and provides a #3 and fit Jarado, Ragans or which ever pitcher is ready in our minor league system behind them. then as they reach TORP levevel move them up
That is why I added that last sentence.

Signing two TORP is even more unrealistic as we have never signed any through regular free agency. In other words, we are in sad shape for awhile.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually said a #1, #3, and #4, but I definitely understand what you are getting at.