• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are still well ahead of the other six clubs among the chosen when it comes to money available to sign Otani if that means much of anything to him.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would need around 5,639.84$ in Seattle, WA to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,000.00$ in Dallas, TX (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax).

Indices Difference
Consumer Prices in Seattle, WA are 33.29% higher than in Dallas, TX

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Seattle, WA are 41.00% higher than in Dallas, TX

Rent Prices in Seattle, WA are 53.87% higher than in Dallas, TX

Restaurant Prices in Seattle, WA are 24.16% higher than in Dallas, TX

Groceries Prices in Seattle, WA are 44.54% higher than in Dallas, TX

Local Purchasing Power in Seattle, WA is 27.04% lower than in Dallas, TX

Cost of Living Comparison Between Dallas, TX, United States And Seattle, WA, United States

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone hear about who we might spend our slot money on if we fail to land Otani?

I do remember there being another Cuban player who defected a few weeks back.

Thinking Juan Pablo Martinez... Is that it Bennie?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raffy is wanting to make a comeback at 53 years-old.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would need around 5,639.84$ in Seattle, WA to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,000.00$ in Dallas, TX (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax).

Indices Difference
Consumer Prices in Seattle, WA are 33.29% higher than in Dallas, TX

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Seattle, WA are 41.00% higher than in Dallas, TX

Rent Prices in Seattle, WA are 53.87% higher than in Dallas, TX

Restaurant Prices in Seattle, WA are 24.16% higher than in Dallas, TX

Groceries Prices in Seattle, WA are 44.54% higher than in Dallas, TX

Local Purchasing Power in Seattle, WA is 27.04% lower than in Dallas, TX

Cost of Living Comparison Between Dallas, TX, United States And Seattle, WA, United States

That’s interesting...... and I know it’s not necessarily baseball related, but I always wonder when we will see the cost of living rise here. It’s an unfortunate side effect of all the Californians, New Yorkers, and illegals pouring into Texas.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of days ago I thought we would have seen Otani reach a decision by now. With the Mariners adding to their slot amount I am wondering if this has turned into a mini bidding war. I am starting to wonder if this thing is going to take every team in the running maxing out their slot amount before we can see a decision.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Ranger Rafael Palmeiro has 'no doubt in my mind' he can make MLB comeback

Former Ranger Rafael Palmeiro played 20 years in MLB and finished his career with more than 569 home runs and 3,020 hits. He reportedly wants to add to those totals.

The 53 year old told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal there is "no doubt in my mind" that he could come back and play at the major league level. There's one more interesting aspect of Palmeiro's desire to make a comeback:

"Palmeiro says he would tutor younger players, too, citing one of his former teams, the Texas Rangers, as an example of a club he could help not simply as a player, but also as a mentor," Rosenthal said. "Carlos Beltran, who recently announced his retirement, played a similar role for the World Series champion Houston Astros last season. Beltran had little left as a hitter. And at 40, he was 13 years younger than Palmeiro."

The former Ranger had two separate stints with Texas during his career that spanned two decades. The first was from 1989-1993 and the second from 1999-2003. His final stats with the Rangers: 1,573 games (second in franchise history), 1,692 hits (third), 321 home runs (second) and 1,039 RBIs (second).

He hit his 500th home run with the Rangers on May 11, 2003.

And, of course, there was his 2005 positive steroid test, just months after he appeared before Congress wagging his finger and saying he had never taken steroids.

Palmeiro isn't the only former Rangers who, in his 50s, has said he has wanted to play again at the major league level. In 2014, when he was 55, Julio Franco joined the Fort Worth Cats of the independent United League as a player-coach and said he wanted "back" in MLB.

At 49, Franco was the oldest active player in the majors when he played his last game for the Atlanta Braves in 2007. He has played professionally in five different decades, starting in the minors in 1978 at age 19. He's also the oldest player to homer in MLB at age 47.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of days ago I thought we would have seen Otani reach a decision by now. With the Mariners adding to their slot amount I am wondering if this has turned into a mini bidding war. I am starting to wonder if this thing is going to take every team in the running maxing out their slot amount before we can see a decision.

Evan Grant had a good point about this: if money mattered at all, then why were the Padres, Cubs, and Dodgers considered? They can only offer a max of 300k.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant had a good point about this: if money mattered at all, then why were the Padres, Cubs, and Dodgers considered? They can only offer a max of 300k.
personally i think that Seattle is not confident in their presentation to Ohtani and in a panic is now trying to convince him with money. if money was the controlling factor in his plan he would have waited 2 years when he could have got max money from anyone. he wants to showcase his talent now and money isn't important.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe at first is wasn't as much about money, but now since the teams he considers the front runners can add money they are asking for more from those teams. Just a thought. A thought that could be as far away from what is really going on as it could be. Scotty could be right, the Mariners could be getting nervous and are in panic mode.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to JD and staff for making a great effort to get Otani. It just didn't work out.

I think getting him would have shortened our quest for return to prominence. I think at this point we are probably 3 to 5 years away at least.