• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are going to try Bush as a starter then they need to go all in on it. That includes picking up a good reliever to take his place via free agency. Then if he doesn't cut it in ST they will have an extra reliever.

He is likely learning another secondary pitch and hope is FB has more movement. To me they is the deal breaker in everything

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like every year our brain trust takes a good reliever out of the pen, tries to make him a starter, he sucks at starting, he goes back to the pen, and now sucks in the pen.

I wish they would try to actually develop starters at the lower levels, but that either doesn’t appear to be a priority or they just have no idea how to do it.

Might need to take a closer look at the minor league coaches who are responsible for bringing these kids along.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having to put guys like Nick Martinez in the conversation as a possible rotation member is just another sign that this team is a long ways from where it needs to be to be a WS contender. We can stay a wildcard contender with guys like him in the conversation, but that is about all you can hope for.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O(h)tani will not find a home until after the new year, thanks to the paperwork and whatnot involved with the posting process.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get minor leaguer Hunter Cole as the PTBNL for Dyson. He looks to be a spare part with not much of a chance to play in the big leagues. 25 years old and has played parts of three seasons at AA. He doesn't hit for power and this year he didn't hit for average. He also lacks in the speed department. He plays RF.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having to put guys like Nick Martinez in the conversation as a possible rotation member is just another sign that this team is a long ways from where it needs to be to be a WS contender. We can stay a wildcard contender with guys like him in the conversation, but that is about all you can hope for.
If we go into the season with 3 of them, Hamels and Perez the only thing we will be fighting for is the basement in the AL West.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we go into the season with 3 of them, Hamels and Perez the only thing we will be fighting for is the basement in the AL West.
I think we will get one good pitcher and fill in for the rest. Maybe Micolas is one of those fill ins and he does well. There are some pitchers who we might get in a trade that would classify as a fill in to me as well. Ian Kennedy was mentioned the other day and I think I woudl just as soon have Martinez.

I just hope we go after Darvish and not Arietta.

Otani is a wildcard. Who knows if we get him or not. If we do that definitely shortens up our return to prominence.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will get one good pitcher and fill in for the rest. Maybe Micolas is one of those fill ins and he does well. There are some pitchers who we might get in a trade that would classify as a fill in to me as well. Ian Kennedy was mentioned the other day and I think I woudl just as soon have Martinez.

I just hope we go after Darvish and not Arietta.

Otani is a wildcard. Who knows if we get him or not. If we do that definitely shortens up our return to prominence.

Our “ return to prominence” also depends on what the Astros do.

How is their core? Are Correa and altuve going to get max deals soon? Keuchel?

I figured some of those guys are still playing on the cheap.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, if they don't max out the three mentioned then they'll be suiting up elsewhere when their time comes. And I'd put Springer & Bergman in this category as well. And all of these guys are playing WAY BELOW their market value.

So the Astros are going to have some "growing pains" semi-shortly.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am more interested in us improving to a level higher than where the Astros are now than in them backing up to us.