• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might play a few games before a smell check perhaps? Trading at the break is quite different from throwing up flag before pitchers and catchers report and in the midst of numerous unsigned FAs
Yes, there is a big difference.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We might play a few games before a smell check perhaps? Trading at the break is quite different from throwing up flag before pitchers and catchers report and in the midst of numerous unsigned FAs
the level of the team hasn't changed from late last season, if anything the pitching has gotten worse, and we stunk then. with Hamels, Beltre, Choo and Andrus we aren't going to improve this coming season so why not making the moves now and give their replacements a full year of experience instead of waiting until the trade deadline to bring them up?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the level of the team hasn't changed from late last season, if anything the pitching has gotten worse, and we stunk then. with Hamels, Beltre, Choo and Andrus we aren't going to improve this coming season so why not making the moves now and give their replacements a full year of experience instead of waiting until the trade deadline to bring them up?

This has been addressed but
1. Some young guys should and will improve. Gallo, Mazara, DeShields, Calhoun erc
2. Trading guys right now has proven tough without w trade partner. So maybe Philly has shown interest in Cole but his value is at a low. Likely will be higher midseason. I really think they have tried to move Choo. I.e. Geinke rebuff
3. Offseason is not over
4. Reported 9-10 teams are moving all assets so we are to go ahead of them? Astros tanked multiple years in a row. The MLB team revenue sharing is now being looked at closely. The owners get money even if team puts a AAA team on field. I expect this to be addressed
5. IMO it sets a bad standard to play for a team that decides it does not want to compete this season to get #1 draft choice. Of course getting prospects for assets is another thing but still

Of course what Bogar did not letting your guys play when we were way out of contention is not something I agree with conversely. It cost us a shortstop likely Bregman.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a tough decision for an organization, but sometimes doing what is tough to do is the best road to take. I hate having the second wildcard because it gives to much false hope to teams in our position.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a tough decision for an organization, but sometimes doing what is tough to do is the best road to take. I hate having the second wildcard because it gives to much false hope to teams in our position.

Heard that said many times right before the board of education came calling.:gaah::gaah:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard that said many times right before the board of education came calling.:gaah::gaah:

Did that board get applied in your younger days DT? Must have been a wild child Ha

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saw this the other day. Political correctness jab. Hahahaha

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ain't one word of this I don't agree with.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Marlins have two World Series titles and zero Division titles that offer a pretty strong counterpoint.
Nope. Not at all.

There was only wildcard spot available when they won.

Of all the teams that thought they had a chance at the second wildcard birth since it was added in 2012 the vast majority of them really had no real hope to make it to the WS.

It is fool's gold for the most part. Of course, if a lot of team's pursue the fool's gold and you have a GM smart enough to take advantage of them then the second wildcard can work to your advantage in that it gives you more buyers to work with and less competition on the selling end. You just have to be wise enough to not take the cheese.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is still only one wildcard spot available in the postseason. Only difference is, two teams have a shot at it now.
You can't see that that makes a significant difference?

It does make a significant difference in the amount of teams that consider themselves still in contention. Even a small difference can be significant in those circumstances.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't see that that makes a significant difference?

It does make a significant difference in the amount of teams that consider themselves still in contention. Even a small difference can be significant in those circumstances.

And how is that a bad thing?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how is that a bad thing?
It is a great thing if you are a GM who takes advantage of the GMs who fool themselves into thinking they have a chance at a WS.

It is a bad thing if you are a fan of one of the team's GMs who are part of the faction chasing fool's gold.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a great thing if you are a GM who takes advantage of the GMs who fool themselves into thinking they have a chance at a WS.

It is a bad thing if you are a fan of one of the team's GMs who are part of the faction chasing fool's gold.

Your conclusion is dependent on a GM being a fool in the first place. Thankfully, us Rangers fans don't have to worry about that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your conclusion is dependent on a GM being a fool in the first place. Thankfully, us Rangers fans don't have to worry about that.
Everyone can be fooled at times. That doesn't mean they should be considered a fool though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following is how the LSB community of readers voted for how they feel the Rangers prospects should be ordered. My biggest disagreement with their order is that I would rank Seise much higher. I have a lot more hope for Whatley than many of them seem to have as well. My top 10 would be Calhoun, Taveras, Ragans, Crouse, Seise, Guzman, Matuella, Palumbo, Cody, and Mendez.

1 -- Leody Taveras

2 — Willie Calhoun

3 — Ronald Guzman

4 -- Cole Ragans

5 — Hans Crouse

6 — Michael Matuella

7 — Yohander Mendez

8 — Bubba Thompson

9 — Kyle Cody

10 — Chris Seise

11 -- Joe Palumbo

12 — Pedro Gonzalez