• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if they consider that the final piece for 2018

To the major league squad or minors. Note the contract. Just more fodder IMO with some remote upside

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very underwhelming offseason

Not saying I was expecting big splashes, but more then this would’ve been nice.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very underwhelming offseason

Not saying I was expecting big splashes, but more then this would’ve been nice.
i agree. i wasn't expecting a complete overhaul but i was expecting a couple of long range pieces and nothing just the usual questionable moves. next off-season we'll have the same holes plus more and what will we do probably more of the same

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Oscar......Guy had a nice 15 or so year career, seemed like a really good guy, and had one of the greatest hair-dos ever!

Awfully young in today's world to be leaving it too.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Oscar......Guy had a nice 15 or so year career, seemed like a really good guy, and had one of the greatest hair-dos ever!

Awfully young in today's world to be leaving it too.
The circumstances behind how we lost him to the Yankees still upsets me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers’ Delino DeShields wants to be center fielder, and he’s ready to play

Money earmarked for a center fielder would be better spent on a late-innings reliever or to make a last-gasp offer to Yu Darvish.

DeShields is motivated to prove that he is a capable defender. He has the speed to atone for slow jumps, and that speed helps him get to balls that many center fielders can’t. All of that can be better, though.

He claims that he took only a week off after the end of last season to begin working on his stated goal of being the Rangers’ center fielder. Defense was an emphasis.

“I did a lot of work with my explosiveness and just building off that, helping me with my first step, changing directions with efficiency,” DeShields said. “I haven’t done any defensive drills, but I’m going out to Arizona early — really early — and I’m going to get out there and do some stuff to help my routes.”

In fairness to the Rangers, they are committed to having DeShields in their lineup. If they do sign a Gomez or a Dyson, DeShields will be the left fielder. Other dominoes — Joey Gallo to first base, for instance — will fall as a result.

Assuming DeShields is the center fielder, the Rangers will choose from Drew Robinson and Rule 5 pick Carlos Tocci to serve as the backup. Jurickson Profar played center field last year in the World Baseball Classic for the Netherlands.

Though the unprecedented off-season continues to give the Rangers a chance to consider their options in center field, DeShields stands as their best option.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone please tell me something exciting. Like a TORP signing.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 overlooked Rangers players ahead of spring

1. Ryan Rua -- This guy belongs in the Cactus League Hall of Fame. Over the past three years, he has hit .344 with seven home runs, 34 RBIs and .578 slugging percentage in 180 spring at-bats. He may be the quietest player on the team, but he can still hit and play multiple positions.

2. Kevin Jepsen -- The veteran right-handed reliever had 15 saves with the Rays and Twins in 2015. Outside of Shawn Tolleson (who is recovering from Tommy John surgery), that is the most in a single season by any pitcher in camp. He used to bring it at 95-plus mph and was an excellent setup reliever for a couple of division championships with the Angels.

3. Hanser Alberto -- Jurickson Profar will get a lot of attention this spring, but Alberto is a utility infielder who missed all of last season because of right shoulder surgery. The guy can field the baseball.

4. Connor Sadzeck -- The Rangers have plenty of young right-handed heat to compete in the bullpen, including Jose Leclerc, Nick Gardewine and Ricardo Rodriguez. But Sadzeck is the one who can hit 100 mph and is now a full-time reliever.

5. Steve Delabar -- What do Matt Moore, Hamels and Delabar have in common? They have all pitched in an All-Star Game. Delabar did so as a setup reliever for the Blue Jays in 2013.

6. Jeffrey Springs -- This left-hander struck out 11.7 batters and walked 3.0 per nine innings at Class A Advanced Down East last season. He has a cross-body delivery with a 90-92 mph fastball, plus changeup and solid mound demeanor. If his curve picks up, the Rangers might have another left-handed relief option.

7. Destin Hood -- A right-handed-hitting outfielder, Hood was the 55th overall pick by the Nationals in 2008 and, as a wide receiver, turned down a football scholarship to the University of Alabama. If Nick Saban wants you as a football player, there is no doubting the athleticism. Hood has some speed and power, but the walk-to-strikeout ratio is holding him back.

8. Isiah Kiner-Falefa -- He is the latest example of the Rangers' emphasis on versatility in the farm system. The Rangers' fourth-round pick in 2013 can catch, play the infield and make an appearance in the outfield. Kiner-Falefa, 22, was drafted out of high school and the bat is starting to catch up, hitting .288/.350/.390 at Double-A Frisco last year.

9. Scott Heineman -- The right-handed-hitting outfielder was taken in the 11th round out of the University of Oregon in 2015 and has yet to appear on anybody's top prospects list. He is ranked No. 24 in the Rangers' system by MLB Pipeline. But he can swing the bat with speed and power, play all three outfield spots and gets after it with intensity.

10. Jose Trevino -- The Rangers' backup catching job is open behind Robinson Chirinos with Major League veterans Brett Nicholas, Juan Centeno, Curt Casali and Mike Ohlman all in the running. But the Rangers will take a hard look at their top catching prospect to see how far he has progressed.