• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stem-cell therapy has taken a weight off Keone Kela's shoulder

Kela underwent stem-cell therapy treatment in November to counter persistent shoulder soreness. He went on the disabled list twice last season because of the condition.

Well before that, Kela confronted the problems that caused the club to banish him to Triple-A Round Rock last April because of unprofessional conduct during the final stage of spring training. Kela learned from the experience.

"I had to keep the street away from the corporate, as simple as that," Kela said Saturday during a stop on the club's preseason caravan at the home of its Double-A affiliate.

The Rangers dearly missed Kela at the start of the season, just as they did during his two stays on the DL. Before Kela returned, the bullpen was 1-5 with a 6.27 ERA and one save in six chances. The Rangers were 4-8 in that stretch and never recovered.

The brief exile to the minors did accomplish what the club intended. Kela returned changed for the better.

"That's a certain condition that I am held responsible for," Kela said. "It's made me a better teammate, a better man.

"I know how to move around now. I have an understanding of what I need to do and how I need to be to help this team be the best they can be."

The next step is to stay on the field.

Kela has made fewer than 40 appearances in each of the last two seasons. He has been on the disabled list three times totaling 137 days in that span. The Rangers are a better club with a healthy Kela.

Kela tried stem-cell therapy to help the shoulder. Cells were removed from bone marrow in another part of the body and injected into the shoulder. Bone-marrow cells are used most often for cartilage, ligament and tendon repair.

The treatment is being used more often by pitchers, usually in hopes of avoiding major surgery. Bartolo Colon, in 2010, is the first pitcher known to have had the procedure. It helped Los Angeles Angels starter Garrett Richards avoid Tommy John surgery but did not have the same effect on teammate Andrew Heaney.

Kela said the treatment has helped. He has been throwing on flat ground from about 75 to 90 feet with no difficulty.

"I feel elastic," Kela said. "The body feels good. The arm feels good. I'm ready to go."

If the shoulder holds up, the Rangers have a better bullpen.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of those would force the Rangers hand. The other one wouldn't. I don't know that they will ever run out of patience with Odor.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer to the Royals

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe our young guys have a future

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer to the Royals

You should get some of the credit from guys like Rosenthal for the breaking news when it becomes official

Cc credit @DT first

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following is how the LSB community of readers voted for how they feel the Rangers prospects should be ordered. My biggest disagreement with their order is that I would rank Seise much higher. I have a lot more hope for Whatley than many of them seem to have as well. My top 10 would be Calhoun, Taveras, Ragans, Crouse, Seise, Guzman, Matuella, Palumbo, Cody, and Mendez.

1 -- Leody Taveras

2 — Willie Calhoun

3 — Ronald Guzman

4 -- Cole Ragans

5 — Hans Crouse

6 — Michael Matuella

7 — Yohander Mendez

8 — Bubba Thompson

9 — Kyle Cody

10 — Chris Seise

11 -- Joe Palumbo

12 — Pedro Gonzalez

13 — Jose Trevino

14 — Brett Martin

15 -- Alex Speas

16 — Ariel Jurado

17 — Isiah Kiner-Falefa

18 — A.J. Alexy

19 — Miguel Aparicio

20 — Matt Whatley

21 — Anderson Tejeda

22 — Yanio Perez

23 — Connor Sadzeck

24 — Jonathan Hernandez

Other than Cody, I don't see anyone I would rate Seise above

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Cody, I don't see anyone I would rate Seise above
From the results of the poll it looks like you have a lot of company in that sentiment.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Gallo benefits from tighter launch angle

Major League hitters have embraced launch angle in recent years, realizing that driving the ball in the air more frequently can unlock power and create success.

But like with anything, there are limits. Joey Gallo's 2017 season is one example.

The Rangers slugger was a solid performer at the plate in the first half, batting .194 but slamming 21 home runs and posting an .821 OPS. In the second half of his age-23 season, however, Gallo was a star with the bat, slashing .229/.357/.572 with 20 more homers...

So what made the difference for Gallo after the break?

He did walk a bit more and strike out a bit less, but neither changed dramatically. His average exit velocity and rate of hard contact -- both of them among the best in the game -- barely budged. On the other hand, Gallo's average launch angle declined from an MLB-high 25.6 degrees to a more modest 19.3 degrees.

More illuminating than Gallo's average launch angle is the breakdown of how often he made contact in certain launch-angle groupings.

Because he hits the ball so hard, Gallo's range of effective launch angles is wider than most. For example, MLB hitters as a group batted .130 and slugged .349 on launch angles between 35 and 45 degrees in 2017, compared with .336/.562 on all batted balls.

Gallo, however, managed to go 10-for-34 (.294) with eight homers and a 1.059 slugging percentage from 35-45 degrees. This 111.9 mph, 44-degree moonshot off the Mets' Jacob deGrom on June 6 illustrates this point.

But even Gallo has a ceiling. On batted balls hit above 45 degrees last season, he went 1-for-46 with a pop-fly single. In other words, these batted balls are virtually automatic outs, and Gallo cut down on them considerably after the break.

Gallo's first half:
• 31 batted balls above 45 degrees
• 22.8 percent of his total batted balls
• Third-highest rate among 302 batters (minimum 100 batted balls)

Gallo's second half:
• 15 batted balls above 45 degrees
• 12.8 percent of total batted balls*
• 88th-highest rate among 263 batters (minimum 100 batted balls)
*MLB average: 11 percent

Where did those extra batted balls go? Mostly, to a more favorable range of launch angles.

Gallo's first half:
• 26 batted balls between 0-20 degrees
• 19.1 percent of total batted balls
• Lowest rate among 302 batters (minimum 100 batted balls)

Gallo's second half:
• 35 batted balls between 0-20 degrees
• 29.9 percent of total batted balls*
• 120th-highest rate among 263 batters (minimum 100 batted balls)
*MLB average: 29.3 percent

On this collection of ground balls and line drives, Gallo went 34-for-61 (.574) and slugged .836 in 2017, despite producing just one home run.

Gallo's optimal launch angle is a bit higher -- 34 of his 41 big flies left the bat at between 25-40 degrees -- but these results still dwarf what he did in the 45-plus degree range. Take this controlled swing that turned an 0-2 pitch from Astros left-hander Francisco Liriano into a 15-degree, opposite-field RBI single on Aug. 30.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just went back to see how our offseason thread compares to last year's as far as how much discussion was happening. Last year when this date started we were on page 100 and this year we are on page 107 so we are actually discussing more this offseason than last offseason. If you are curious about what we were discussing last year at this time it was about the possibility of signing Napoli and about trade rumors regarding sending Profar to the Rays.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we think more than we think we do.:noidea:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallo says doing this in 2018 will help boost his bat, Rangers’ lineup

Knowing where he is playing each day would allow Gallo to focus on one spot defensively and give more time to working on the kinks in his swing.

“It is a little bit easier to be an everyday player at one position and focus on one position day in and day out,” said Gallo, who hit 41 homers, but batted only .209.

Banister, though, won’t pin Gallo to one position yet. The Rangers have multiple players who have time at first base, though none as good with the glove as Gallo, and Shin-Soo Choo will work there this spring to give him more versatility.

More moving parts gives a manager options for each game’s lineup and for in-game maneuvering. Gallo figures to be in the lineup regularly, assuming his bat remains productive, but the Rangers’ best team offensive and defensively for a particular game might call for him to play left field and have, say, Jurickson Profar, play first base.

“I probably helps him more being at first base,” Banister said. “But it doesn’t always work out that way.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Rangers Spring Training Schedule
Date Day Game Time Stadium Location Tickets
Feb 24 Saturday Rangers at Cubs 1:05 Sloan Park Mesa Tickets
Feb 25 Sunday Rockies at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Feb 26 Monday Dodgers at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Feb 27 Tuesday Rangers at Dodgers 1:05 Camelback Ranch Glendale Tickets
Feb 28 Wednesday Rangers at White Sox 1:05 Camelback Ranch Glendale Tickets
Mar 1 Thursday Padres at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 1 Thursday Rangers at A's 1:05 Hohokam Stadium Mesa Tickets
Mar 2 Friday Rangers at Indians 1:05 Goodyear Ballpark Goodyear Tickets
Mar 3 Saturday Rangers at Giants 1:05 Scottsdale Stadium Scottsdale Tickets
Mar 4 Sunday Mariners at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 5 Monday Giants at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 6 Tuesday Rangers at A's 1:05 Hohokam Stadium Mesa Tickets
Mar 7 Wednesday Rangers at Rockies 1:10 Salt River Fields Scottsdale Tickets
Mar 8 Thursday White Sox at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 9 Friday Rangers at Reds 6:05 Goodyear Ballpark Goodyear Tickets
Mar 10 Saturday A's at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 11 Sunday Rangers at Angels 1:10 Tempe Diablo Stadium Tempe Tickets
Mar 12 Monday Rangers at Indians 1:05 Goodyear Ballpark Goodyear Tickets
Mar 12 Monday Rangers at Royals 6:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 13 Tuesday Rangers at Brewers 1:05 Maryvale Baseball Park Maryvale Tickets
Mar 14 Wednesday
Mar 15 Thursday Brewers at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 16 Friday Mariners at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 17 Saturday Rangers at Royals 12:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 17 Saturday Royals at Rangers 6:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 18 Sunday Angels at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 19 Monday Rockies at Rangers 6:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 20 Tuesday Rangers at White Sox 1:05 Camelback Ranch Glendale Tickets
Mar 21 Wednesday Cubs at Rangers 1:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 22 Thursday Reds at Rangers 6:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets
Mar 22 Thursday Rangers at Mariners 6:40 Peoria Sports Complex Peoria Tickets
Mar 23 Friday Rangers at Padres 6:40 Peoria Sports Complex Peoria Tickets
Mar 24 Saturday Indians at Rangers 12:05 Surprise Stadium Surprise Tickets

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers add to pitching depth with ex-Mets starter Niese

The Texas Rangers continued to add to their stockpile of low-risk, low-cost options for 2018 on Tuesday by signing free-agent left-hander Jon Niese to a minor-league deal with an invitation to spring training.

Niese is the 22nd non-roster invitee to Rangers camp, which opens Feb. 15 in Surprise, Ariz., with the first workout for pitchers and catcher. He didn’t pitch in the majors last season while on the mend from surgery on his left knee that ended his 2016 season.

He worked as a reliever last spring for the New York Yankees, and the Rangers consider him left-handed depth. Niese has only 14 of his 211 appearances out of the bullpen, but he made four relief appearances for the New York Mets in the 2015 World Series.

Rangers assistant pitching coach Dan Warthen was the Mets’ pitching coach for each of Niese’s 188 games with them. Niese is 69-68 with a 4.07 ERA in his career, which started in 2008.

He joins a cast of non-roster pitchers in camp that includes right-handers Austin Bibens-Dirkx, Steve Delabar, Deolis Guerra, Shawn Tolleson and Erik Goeddel, another former Mets pitcher. Tolleson underwent Tommy John surgery last year and hopes to be pitching in games by July.