• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took what he wrote as him comparing how the two players being sent to the minors to extend a year of control. I don't think he was trying to compare the skills or abilities of Calhoun and Bryant.

Yes that is what I meant and also why Rua may get a shot for regular time to start the year especially since we have few RH bats

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that is what I meant and also why Rua may get a shot for regular time to start the year especially since we have few RH bats
And he only hits lefties.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wrong about how Rua fared that second time he got to play on an extended basis. The first time I gave his numbers I included several games at the end where he played less frequently. He actually had a slash line that time of .318/.419/.580. His OPS that time was .999. He played in 26 of 30 games. He has never disappointed when given regular playing time for an extended period of anything close to playing in 25 out of 30 games played by the team. I can't get his splits out of that, but he must have hit both righties and lefties well to have an OPS of .999. He also stole 6 bases during those 30 games.

The guy does well when given extended playing time and he always hits well enough in ST to earn a full time spot, but he hardly ever gets the opportunity in this organization. Meanwhile guys like Choo, Fielder, Napoli, Odor and others were continually handed regular playing time even after month-long or longer slumps where they were playing almost every day. When you are looking to cut corners in spending you have to utilize every bit of cheap talent you have and this club is not very good at doing that sometimes.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' popular prospect Joe Palumbo on the path back from Tommy John surgery

No he isn't an international prospect despite the DMN title to this article. I sure hope this kid rebounds in a big way and can be mentioned in the same sentence as Crouse and Ragans by the time this season is over.

JOE PALUMBO
Position: Left-handed pitcher

Size: 6 feet 1, 168 pounds

Opening day age: 23

How acquired: Selected in the 30th round, with pick No. 910 overall, of the 2013 draft. Received a $32,000 signing bonus

Major league service time: None

Contract status: Club has him under control through 2023

2017 recap: Palumbo made only three starts in the High-A Carolina League before being shut down because of an elbow ailment that required Tommy John surgery. The Rangers nonetheless protected him on the 40-man roster for the first time because he likely would have been selected in the major-league draft by a rebuilding team. Palumbo rapidly rose in the internal rankings in 2016, when he had 122 strikeouts with 71 hits allowed in 96 1/3 innings. Palumbo got most of his strikeouts with a tight, late-breaking curveball. He also had a low-90 mph fastball and hid the ball well in his delivery.

2018 outlook: Palumbo will go on the 60-day disabled list during spring training and continue his rehabilitation program. If all goes well, he could resume pitching in minor-league games in July. He will go to the minors on injury-rehabilitation assignment to prevent the club from having to use an option.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really don't like where our conversations are going. when we start talking about playing bench players like Rua and Robinson, and that is all they are, full time we are apparently giving up and accepting tanking as our future. if we are going that route then why not bring up the Trevino's, Calhoun's etc now and open embrace tanking?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really don't like where our conversations are going. when we start talking about playing bench players like Rua and Robinson, and that is all they are, full time we are apparently giving up and accepting tanking as our future. if we are going that route then why not bring up the Trevino's, Calhoun's etc now and open embrace tanking?

Rua has a bit of pop in his bat. Not sure I would write him off just yet. Good speed and a young good athlete. Just needs to learn his way around the plate at MLB level.

If we do not compete then watching young and talented guys learn how to be good is not all bad.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don’t know how to react.

Should I be excited that the season is getting closer? Or terrified?

There is thought by one agent they players may strike

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua has a bit of pop in his bat. Not sure I would write him off just yet. Good speed and a young good athlete. Just needs to learn his way around the plate at MLB level.

If we do not compete then watching young and talented guys learn how to be good is not all bad.
I can think of 4 or 5 young Range prospects that I would rather see be given the opportunity to show what they've got starting with Calhoun, Guzman, Kiner-Falefa etc. Rua and Robinson have shown to me that they are good off the bench players but nothing that warrants full time play

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of 4 or 5 young Range prospects that I would rather see be given the opportunity to show what they've got starting with Calhoun, Guzman, Kiner-Falefa etc. Rua and Robinson have shown to me that they are good off the bench players but nothing that warrants full time play
The first two will be in ST to see if they can earn a spot. You have no idea what Rua can do if he were allowed to play as a regular and neither does anyone else because he has not been given the chance.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why because teams are finally showing some fiscal responsibility. The agents want teams to be forced to pay what the agents want

Just reporting the news sir