• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I can already see stud written all over Ingram.

I know you don't like this....

But, Ball will end up being in the mold of Kidd, I honestly believe that.

Hear me out....

They both have size, Lonzo is actually bigger and elite court vision, passing skills.

That size will make Ball a good rebounder at the of position, just like Jason.

Lonzo is not going to score a ton of points, that's not his game.

Kidd had a career scoring average of 12.6 ppg.

What Lonzo doesn't have is Kidd's defensive ability.

That's where they differ.

Jason made a all defensive Team 9 times, 4 of them 1st Team.

Lonzo is not the fastest fella and had problems keeping a journeyman like Marshall in front of him.

So, he is gonna have problems with the Westbrook's, Kyrie's Cp3's and Curry's.

But, guess what?

So does everyone else.

I don't mind the Kidd projections -- my big issue with the Kidd/Westbrook discussion was that I was talking about attracting free agents in the 2018 offseason and I just don't think Ball will do enough in his rookie year to attract a star player to sign in the 2018 offseason. What if he's not exactly like Jason Kidd and he's more like Ricky Rubio?

I think Ball will be a contributor in the NBA, I just don't think he'll ever be a star.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think the Cavs might break up the band next Summer.

You are in a good position to get closer if that happens.

Well, as long as you don't get lapped out of nowhere like we did with the Warriors.

The Celtics and Raps are the obvious threats.

But, watch your back with the Bucks, Heat and Sixers....lol

Decent position. Could get to the Finals with some luck, but it would be like Lakers/Sixers from 2001 with no real chance to win. I just can't see the Wizards adding enough significant pieces to beat the best from the West, whoever that may be.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my all time favorite movies

billy-batts.gif

I watched that movie last night. An all time classic. It's part of my DVD collection. Last week I watched Training Day for the 1st time in a while. I forgot how incredibly evil Denzel's character was. That's another great movie.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics just picked up Baynes' crazy ass.

Move over Tristan Thompson there's a new # 1 C in the EC now. The Celtics are 1 piece away from beating the Warriors in the Finals!:yes:

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay.....the tried to take them out part is a stretch, no?

That elbow was brutal. But, looked unintentional.

Fultz landed on the back of someone's foot, he wasn't pushed.

As far as your Team goes, you guys did a perfect job in the draft and in Free Agency.

You have 3 guys with future All star potential and now you have shooters to compliment them.

If Health is not an issue, I think you could be a playoff Team.

I'm just kidding. I don't think the Warriors are afraid of anything, certainly not the 76ers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind the Kidd projections -- my big issue with the Kidd/Westbrook discussion was that I was talking about attracting free agents in the 2018 offseason and I just don't think Ball will do enough in his rookie year to attract a star player to sign in the 2018 offseason. What if he's not exactly like Jason Kidd and he's more like Ricky Rubio?

I think Ball will be a contributor in the NBA, I just don't think he'll ever be a star.

I think You are vastly overestimating the desire of other players around the league to play with westbrook. KD left for a reason. It wasn't simply to chase rings.

Russ could team up with somebody else in another city, but I can't see a prime star ever signing a FA deal to join him in OKC. Nobody wants to be number 2 behind a guy who shoots 43% and takes 20 shots a game.

That is what you aren't getting. Ball doesn't have to be a star for guys to want to play with him. He is extremely unselfish. Star players want to play with guys who can make their jobs easier. Ball will be that.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move over Tristan Thompson there's a new # 1 C in the EC now. The Celtics are 1 piece away from beating the Warriors in the Finals!:yes:
Lol. Or...he'll be good for about 3 or 4 rebounds in 10 mins. Either way, I'll take it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. There's not much Ball could do this season to convince a star in his late 20s/early 30s that it makes sense to team up with him instead of Russell Westbrook (even if Ball's style fits better with that star) because realistically, signing up to play with a 20 year old point guard means you probably won't be winning anything for another 2-3 years, at which point, you might no longer be in your prime and you may have missed your opportunity to win a title.

Granted, winning a championship isn't the only factor . . . and it might make sense for a star to try to team up with a group of talented young players (we'll see what Minnesota is able to do this year) and grow with them . . . but I don't think Ball is going to be the primary reason that L.A. lands a top free agent (if that ends up happening.)

The great thing is that we will see next summer.

In order for George to go to LA, he will have to leave Westbrook to do it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmmm, Rubio is actually a interesting comparison.

Even though he hasn't shown it, Lonzo is a better shooter than Rubio.

But, Rubio is a better defender.

So, is it fair to say that his ceiling projects to be Kidd, Floor Rondo and middle ground Rubio?

Some probably have Rondo rated higher than Rubio, historically. But, as he is SKILL WISE CURRENTLY his shitty disposition knocks him down a rung for me.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think You are vastly overestimating the desire of other players around the league to play with westbrook. KD left for a reason. It wasn't simply to chase rings.

Russ could team up with somebody else in another city, but I can't see a prime star ever signing a FA deal to join him in OKC. Nobody wants to be number 2 behind a guy who shoots 43% and takes 20 shots a game.

That is what you aren't getting. Ball doesn't have to be a star for guys to want to play with him. He is extremely unselfish. Star players want to play with guys who can make their jobs easier. Ball will be that.

And you're not getting that star players don't typically team up with 20 year old players in their second season -- so unless there is something else to attract stars to the Lakers, stars will not go there.

Now -- outside of money, which plenty of teams have, the Lakers have a few options to attract stars: (1) they apparently have the inside track on Paul George next offseason, (2) if they land George, he instantly makes them more attractive to other stars, (3) Brandon Ingram looks like he could develop into a very nice player, (4) they have a few assets they could use to trade for a top player, if necessary, or who could be solid players for them in the alternative (5) Magic Johnson is running the show now, (6) it's in Los Angeles, and (7) they're the Lakers.

Star players may very well want to play with Lonzo in 3 or so years but it's unlikely he, alone, is going to attract any stars after only one season in the league.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, is it fair to say that his ceiling projects to be Kidd, Floor Rondo and middle ground Rubio?

Some probably have Rondo rated higher than Rubio, historically. But, as he is SKILL WISE CURRENTLY his shitty disposition knocks him down a rung for me.

I thought you had MCW as his floor. You've upped it to Rondo? (Don't tell me you're putting MCW over Rondo too. That's just blasphemous.)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does Rubio early the ball up like Lonzo though? I don't think he does. What impresses me most about what I have seen from Ball so far is how little he possesses the ball. He gets it and moves it. Rubio is a great passer, but there aren't many PGs so willing to give up the ball as Lonzo is.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you had MCW as his floor. You've upped it to Rondo? (Don't tell me you're putting MCW over Rondo too. That's just blasphemous.)

I Was a huge MCW fangirl...lol

I thought he would be everything Livingston would have been if not for that catastrophic injury.

Then I thought Exum would be.

Then I thought it would be Caris Levert.

See a pattern here with me?....lol

Ball is already better than MCW.

...now Levert will be the next Penny Hardaway!

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The great thing is that we will see next summer.

In order for George to go to LA, he will have to leave Westbrook to do it.

Not necessarily. George allegedly said he wanted to play for the Lakers long before they had Lonzo Ball -- so it's pretty clear he's interested in playing there for some reason other than Ball. Though, I'm sure, if Lonzo Ball plays well, that won't hurt their cause with George.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought he would be everything Livingston would have been if not for that catastrophic injury.

Then I though it would be Caris Levert.

You would have fit right in with 76ers fans a few years ago. Many were pissed that we traded MCW.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Rubio early the ball up like Lonzo though? I don't think he does. What impresses me most about what I have seen from Ball so far is how little he possesses the ball. He gets it and moves it. Rubio is a great passer, but there aren't many PGs so willing to give up the ball as Lonzo is.
Lonzo is the ultimate Hockey assist guy.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then I thought it would be Caris Levert.

Ouch. Yea you're horrible at this.