• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, if they deal picks for Butler, they lose their cap flexibility to sign a big FA.

I keep hearing the AD rumors. That is the player they need. Would this be enough?

2017 pick 3, 2018 Nets pick, 2018 Lakers pick + a player or two (Crowder, Bradley, Smart, etc.). The Pelicans would have to consider, right? That would be a serius haul once you factor in that they would likely suck this year too, leading to another high lotto pick.

I know they want to give Cousins and Davis time together, but I don't see it happening for them.
You don't trade a dollar for 4 quarters in the NBA.

I'd trade Cousins for that, hell Id trade Boogie for less. But, never Davis.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're under the assumption than the Pelicans will find someone better than AD with the 3rd pick. There's also no guarantees how high/low the Lakers' pick will be.

You'd essentially be trading AD for Josh Jackson plus fillers.

No I am not.

I am assuming that Davis will leave when he eventually becomes a free agent in a 3 or 4 years. I am also quite certain that nobody will have as much ammunition as the Celtics have right now.

I do not think they will trade Davis. But I also don't think they will ever be relevant with him. Besides. You never know unless you ask.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that. It is too soon for the Pelicans to worry about Davis' free agency, but again, no team good enough to extend Davis will ever again have this many strong assets. Hence the dilemma.

My bet is that in 3 years the Pelicans will fail, Davis will eventually get traded for 50 cents on the dollar and everyone will say they should have traded him to the Celtics. We shall see.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I am not.

I am assuming that Davis will leave when he eventually becomes a free agent in a 3 or 4 years. I am also quite certain that nobody will have as much ammunition as the Celtics have right now.

I do not think they will trade Davis. But I also don't think they will ever be relevant with him. Besides. You never know unless you ask.

Why would he leave when he just signed a new contract. They made a trade for Cousins late this season, allowing them to potentially have the best front court in the league. You've got to give those guys time to adapt.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the talent available early in next year's draft makes that Brooklyn pick extremely valuable. There are multiple bigs with legitimate 3 pt range in addition to post defensive abilities and handles (Ayton, Porter, Jackson Jr, Vanderbuilt, etc) that are sort of in that AD mold. However, other than for cap savings, why would NO want to go from the real thing back to the extremely raw version?

Cousins could be more obtainable, largely because of the baggage he brings (and there is some duplication between AD and Cousins). Some of the other bigs in next year's draft that are don't have that outside range but are stronger in the post and defensively could be excellent replacements (guys like Bamba and Carter). If you're sensing a trend, yes this could be the year of the one and done big man in college, lol.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he leave when he just signed a new contract. They made a trade for Cousins late this season, allowing them to potentially have the best front court in the league. You've got to give those guys time to adapt.

Adapt to what?

Holiday is likely out. Unless they sign CP3 or somebody comparable next year, and upgrade their wing spots, they will struggle. Maybe they make the playoffs, maybe they don't. I will be shocked if Cousins and Davis ever make it out of the first round unless they add some awesome guards and essentially build their own super team. You can't win without guard play in 2017. Dominant bigs are luxury items in today's NBA, the guards are essential.

Again, the point is that they will never again have this opportunity in front of them.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis will be gone within 2 seasons...he wants to win and NO is a football city.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade both 1st rounders, Russell, Randle, and Clarkson and build around AD.

mick7-1961

Commerce Comet
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more day of this avatar and my month long debt to WiggyRuss is paid in full......

Then I can get back to having the greatest baseball player of all time..........

MICKEY CHARLES MANTLE

THE COMMERCE COMET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is another big factor in all of this. The Golden State Warriors.

If I were in charge of any team (except Cleveland, SA and GS) with a prime star, I would be calling the Celtics right now and see what they would be willing to pay for my guy. Contention is only an option for 3 or 4 teams over the next couple seasons. If I am not running one of those teams, I am looking to 2020. The Celtics package of picks could help build the next super team. Being a mid-tier playoff team is more pointless now than ever.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecca and Mick have me so upset at all their SportsHoopla cash....

*cries into my Starbucks*

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I were in charge of any team (except Cleveland, SA and GS) with a prime star, I would be calling the Celtics right now and see what they would be willing to pay for my guy. Contention is only an option for 3 or 4 teams over the next couple seasons. If I am not running one of those teams, I am looking to 2020. The Celtics package of picks could help build the next super team. Being a mid-tier playoff team is more pointless now than ever.
This

mick7-1961

Commerce Comet
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics-Sixers trade could be a 3 way deal with the Bulls.....possibly involving Butler and Okafor.
We don't need no stinking Fakers fans jumping on the Celtics bandwagon....

And stay off my lawn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he'd leave before his contract extension

He was a restricted free agent. The only way out is a trade. Pelicans would obviously have matched any offer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For West teams, sure. The East has some rising teams that are going to be tough to deal with if they get this offseason right, depends on what the Cavs decide to do (and the Lebron leaving rumors aren't going to help that). The Sixers have built a very solid corps of young guys and have a ton of cap space to fill in the blanks. The Celtics were already the #1 seed and could be adding serious veteran talent to that roster (Hayward, trade for Butler?, need a PF alongside Horford).

The Warriors are going to continue to get top heavy (more money going to the starting five as the bench suffers for it), but ring-chasing vets will continue to plug the holes. I agree they are the favorite for the next 3 years or so, but that team balance could suffer and make them vulnerable, especially if they get complacent.

The whole league can't look to fast forward 3 years, as someone has to be on the other end of these draft pick trades.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need no stinking Fakers fans jumping on the Celtics bandwagon....

And stay off my lawn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This might make my Laker brethren mad but IDC....I want the Celtics to make a trade and land a superstar....I don't want another Cle-GS Finals.