• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Deadline

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been revealed which 8 team's Sammy can't block a trade to:

Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Angles, Dodgers, A's, Nationals.

Of those teams, the Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, and Nationals are the only potential teams. It's probably safe to say no to the Dodgers. The Nationals could use a starter, but aren't likely inclined for a long-term add like Sammy. More looking for a rental. The Yankees are looking for starting pitching and wouldn't mind the long-term commitment. The Cubs already made their big starting pitcher trade, and have Montgomery to fill in, likely looking for bullpen help instead.

Sammy also flat out said he would block trades to any team he can, so scratch the other 21 teams off.

So basically it's Yankees or bust. And the Yankees are in on Gray. So if you really want to see Sammy traded, hope that Gray get traded elsewhere and Sammy is the lone man standing.
With David Price going down, the market for Samardzija may have just grown from 1 to 2 teams.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does everyone think will be traded this weekend?

I think Strickland, Hundley and Span will be shipped out.

I think there is little to no chance that Cueto or Sammy are dealt.

Very little chance Panik is traded.

Unlikely that Gearrin or Kontos are dealt.

Pence, Hernandez and Gonor have negative value. Belt is an off-season trade project. Bum, Posey and Craw are untouchable. Dyson has too much team control and is too lights out to deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pence, Hernandez and Gonor have negative value. Belt is an off-season trade project. Bum, Posey and Craw are untouchable. Dyson has too much team control and is too lights out to deal.

IDK if we're going to see much more TBH.

I HOPE the 3 you mentioned, and Kontos and Gearrin are out. At the very least, Giants should capitalize on the relief market. But I don't see it.

Maybe August for Cueto and Shark.

But I don't see many more moves. Keeping my expectations low.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IDK if we're going to see much more TBH.

I HOPE the 3 you mentioned, and Kontos and Gearrin are out. At the very least, Giants should capitalize on the relief market. But I don't see it.

Maybe August for Cueto and Shark.

But I don't see many more moves. Keeping my expectations low.

I think SFGRTB may be right but if anyone does get traded, I think it is most likely going to be Span and maybe either Pence or Samardzija (outside chance of both). I think Cueto, even with his substandard showing and looming contract "extension" could have been traded if not for his blisters. Even though I think Hundley could be traded, it seems there are a few catchers on the market and not much of a market for catchers. I think it would be worth it to trade either Kontos or Gearrin or both but I doubt the FO will make a deal for either of them.
The Giant's MO is buy when they are anywhere within striking distance but stand pat otherwise. They probably got a lot of feedback on Nunez so they dealt him. I think that they would have to openly peddle the other guys and they won't do that. Just speculation but I'm going with my gut feelings and what I think I've observed in the past. When it comes to veterans, they rarely get rid of them before contracts expire.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets seem confused which way to go this trade deadline. Are they buyers or sellers? Yesterday, they were sellers by shipping out Lucas Duda. Today, they are buyers, picking up AJ Ramos. Glad the Giants aren't doing that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets seem confused which way to go this trade deadline. Are they buyers or sellers? Yesterday, they were sellers by shipping out Lucas Duda. Today, they are buyers, picking up AJ Ramos. Glad the Giants aren't doing that.

They're basically doing the same rebuild as the Giants (sorta), sell off impending free agents (Reed is probably out the door), but adding pieces for 2018. To be honest, wouldn't be surprised if the Giants "bought" a piece a la Moore, Smith etc., guys that are under control, if the deal was out there.

Side note, I would have been thrilled if the Giants landed what the Marlins just got for Ramos. I think they could have gotten it for Strickland. Alas, it sounds like the Giants are done.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumblings on MLB Rumors tend to make me think we won't see anyone else traded from the Giants. It seems that there are a lot more players available than teams interested right now. Strickland's market type is saturated, Span's (and Pence) market type is saturated. I don't know if the Giants want to trade Hundley but his market type is saturated. Cueto is injured. Samardzija doesn't want to go anywhere and only two teams not on the no-trade list may want a starting pitcher. That market type seems a bit saturated too. Which brings me to a question. When has the trading deadline last been buyer friendly?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumblings on MLB Rumors tend to make me think we won't see anyone else traded from the Giants. It seems that there are a lot more players available than teams interested right now. Strickland's market type is saturated, Span's (and Pence) market type is saturated. I don't know if the Giants want to trade Hundley but his market type is saturated. Cueto is injured. Samardzija doesn't want to go anywhere and only two teams not on the no-trade list may want a starting pitcher. That market type seems a bit saturated too. Which brings me to a question. When has the trading deadline last been buyer friendly?

I was musing about this as well. Giants just can't catch a break. Year after year after year, the trade deadline is always a sellers market. Seems like the Giants, and everyone else, is overpaying.

Of course this year it's a ghost town. So it goes. I do think we'll see some bigger moves in the offseason though, if not in August.

(It also doesn't help that the few attractive Giants' pieces are overall not very attractive).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that Garcia isn't the same pitcher he was with the Cardinals a few years ago, but it just seemed so surprising to me that the Braves unloaded two veterans, while covering most of both contracts, for one mid to low level pitching prospect. I would have expected at least a 2nd low level prospect that they would have gotten or just a straight Garcia for Ynoa deal with the bulk of Garcia's contract paid for by Atlanta.
The Twins just flipped Garcia to the Yankees for two low level prospects. I still think the Braves got the raw end of this deal and this trade seems to prove it. All the Twins had to send was Garcia and cash considerations (neither team has to carry much of his contract since the Braves are paying for most of it) to the Yankees. Granted, one prospect is real exciting (one guy is 26 and has been injured much of the year but the other is 21 and has had a great season in the minors this year) but the fact that they got two prospects for less than what the Braves offered shows that maybe the Braves' GM may have not done a good job in negotiations.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Twins just flipped Garcia to the Yankees for two low level prospects. I still think the Braves got the raw end of this deal and this trade seems to prove it. All the Twins had to send was Garcia and cash considerations (neither team has to carry much of his contract since the Braves are paying for most of it) to the Yankees. Granted, one prospect is real exciting (one guy is 26 and has been injured much of the year but the other is 21 and has had a great season in the minors this year) but the fact that they got two prospects for less than what the Braves offered shows that maybe the Braves' GM may have not done a good job in negotiations.

Maybe, though some believe the prospect the Twins got for the Yankees is very similar to the one the Twins gave up. The kicker is that the Yankees (now Twins) prospect is much closer to the bigs than the Twins (now Braves) prospect. All told, it does seem like shrewd work from the Twins.

I'm not really familiar with any of them though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree, but I understand the Giants wanting to hold onto Strickland and Dyson. 2018 could make for a real meaty late innings. It's no Yankees, but it's better than a lot of teams out there. I'd feel mostly comfortable with leads going into the 7th inning (assuming Smith comes back to for next summer). And, if things go to shit next year (hopefully not because of the Pen), the Giants could have 4 really nice pieces to sell in Melancon, Dyson, Strickland and Smith.

All that being said, there is no reason the Giants should not be trading Kontos and Gearrin right now. What can they get for them? Not much, but I'd say probably more than what we got from Nunez which was pretty solid. I HOPE that they are trying, I'm sure they are. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Just looking ahead though, lets assume the first 4 I mentioned aren't traded. There are 3 spots left to fill. Crick seems like a good bet. I'm sure we'll see Moronta at some point. I hope we see Snelten soon. I think Ty Blach would be a great mop up guy. Look, he's had his moments, but I think he's perfectly suited as a swingman, Petit role. Looking at his numbers, he's great the first time through, but just collapses the 2nd time and beyond. A .602 OPS, 2.44 K/BB ratio the first time through, .885 OPS, 1.67 K/BB ratio the 2nd time through. He could pitch 80-100 innings out of the Pen and be a real weapon. Then there's scrap heave guys, there's always scrap heave guys. Giants should have held onto Hernandez, he's been great with the Angels. Kirby Yates has been great with the Padres. There's many more. Pick one of them up.

Melancon-Dyson-Smith-Strickland-Crick-Blach-Snelten/scrapheave/lefty. There is no need to keep Kontos and Gearrin around, it frankly only causes more problems. Crick, Blach and Snelten would have options, flexibility. The Giants have no flexibility in the Pen right now because Kontos and Gearrin are basically locked in but aren't good enough where you should be tied down with them.

Giants have 1 hour and 10 minutes. I don't have much faith. But it makes too much sense.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of David Hernandez, he was just traded to the D-Backs. Curious what the return will be.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here we are, the same exact team.

Wasn't expecting Cueto, Shark, Span, Pence to get traded because of the many hurdles. August is still possible for all those guys.

But my goodness, why is the world are Kontos, Gearrin and Hundley still around? They serve no purpose. So damn frustrating.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dodgers went out and got Tony Watson, Tony Cingrani.... and Yu Darvish. Wow

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here we are, the same exact team.

Wasn't expecting Cueto, Shark, Span, Pence to get traded because of the many hurdles. August is still possible for all those guys.

But my goodness, why is the world are Kontos, Gearrin and Hundley still around? They serve no purpose. So damn frustrating.
To be fair, maybe nobody wanted them?

I understand that with Kontos and Gearrin, but Hundley? Really?

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it appears Cueto is still with us. Does he opt out at the end of the year, after what has been at best a frustrating year for him? (Not to mention how the Giants feel about it.) And do we care whether he does or doesn't?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it appears Cueto is still with us. Does he opt out at the end of the year, after what has been at best a frustrating year for him? (Not to mention how the Giants feel about it.) And do we care whether he does or doesn't?
Almost no chance he opts out. "Bad" year with lingering health issues. No way he will match his current deal right now on the open market.

If he were to opt out, though, we would get likely the top sandwich pick when he leaves, though...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's still an outside chance he's traded. If he comes back and does well, (I think) the Giants have to get out of that contract while they can.

It's a catch 22 though. If Cueto does well, the Giants will be inclined to keep him because they're competing for 2018. If he does poor, they're stuck with him.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Sorry, this might be salt in the wound)

At one point in the season, I compared what past starting pitcher rentals got at trade deadlines and mussed that "the Giants could get a top 75 prospect or 2". The "or 2" was an overshot that I realized after I researched more, but 1 top prospect was certainly in the cards.

Yu Darvish was traded to LA today for Willie Calhoun, A.J. Alexy, and Brendon Davis. The latter 2 are somewhat similar to what we got for Nunez. Calhoun is the prize though, a consensus top 100 guy, floating around the 50s on most lists (I've argued against lists in the past, but for the sake of this argument).

It's really unfortunate Cueto had the year he's having. Just a microcosm of the season really. Overall, a bad season to be a seller, and all of the potential pieces the Giants could sell are just really unattractive. This season blows.