• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Deadline

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of Giants rumors out there...

Span to the Cubs
Samardzija to Astros
Strickland to Rays
Nunez to Red Sox
Stanton coming in
Belt to Yankees
Hundley, Kontos, Gearrin going out (haven't heard destinations)

If they could get anything for Gearrin, I would consider that a win. (Not a believer in him.) Ditto for Span, esp. since his trade value is probably as high right now as it ever will be. Samardzija is maddening, sometimes looks great, other times...not so much. Does eat innings (usually). If the Astros want him and are willing to give reasonable value, why not?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could get anything for Gearrin, I would consider that a win. (Not a believer in him.) Ditto for Span, esp. since his trade value is probably as high right now as it ever will be. Samardzija is maddening, sometimes looks great, other times...not so much. Does eat innings (usually). If the Astros want him and are willing to give reasonable value, why not?
Gearrin is actually pretty good if you don't follow him that closely. He is horrible with the IR, but he gas an acceptable WHIP and very good ERA.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Red Sox either lost out on Frazier or were sitting on the sidelines all long depending who you ask (okay, that was the same person), but apparently they are all in on Nunez (okay, IDK if we can trust this guy, but the fit makes sense).

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gearrin is actually pretty good if you don't follow him that closely. He is horrible with the IR, but he gas an acceptable WHIP and very good ERA.

No, I get the stats, I just don't believe he'll keep it up. I remember last year when he started well, then rolled over and died. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I get the stats, I just don't believe he'll keep it up. I remember last year when he started well, then rolled over and died. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year, but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree. And his complete ineffectiveness with runners on, IMHO, makes him a near-useless reliever.

If we can get B-level prospect for him, that would be a HUGE get. Or use him to sweeten the pot on a bigger deal.

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. And his complete ineffectiveness with runners on, IMHO, makes him a near-useless reliever.

If we can get B-level prospect for him, that would be a HUGE get. Or use him to sweeten the pot on a bigger deal.

The one I'm not sure about is Strickland. How much can we get for a guy who's a good middle reliever but has never been able to prove himself as a closer or even a consistent 8th inning guy? Well, maybe I'm being harsh with the latter but the point is, does he have more to us in his current role than anything he could fetch in trade? He's not going to get us a rotation starter or power bat (I assume), so what does that leave? Another, younger relief pitcher? A 4th or 5th outfielder or backup infielder? Meh.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one I'm not sure about is Strickland. How much can we get for a guy who's a good middle reliever but has never been able to prove himself as a closer or even a consistent 8th inning guy? Well, maybe I'm being harsh with the latter but the point is, does he have more to us in his current role than anything he could fetch in trade? He's not going to get us a rotation starter or power bat (I assume), so what does that leave? Another, younger relief pitcher? A 4th or 5th outfielder or backup infielder? Meh.
Well, that's just it, isn't it? What will he fetch? I doubt they are giving him away, so I don't think we need to worry about that.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that's a quite harsh evaluation of Strickland. I think he'd be a pretty big loss.

But looking at what he could get in a trade, by himself he could probably get a real nice package. Included with another good piece (like in my example Panik) he could fetch a potential game changer.

Today, David Phelps was traded to the Mariners for 4 prospects. Phelps has 1 year of control left and is probably marginally better than Strick who has 4 years of control left.

Of the 4 prospects traded, the headliner (Brayan Johnson) equates somewhat to Bryan Reynolds in our system. The other 3 are A-ball pitchers.

The White Sox netted a top prospect for Robertson, Kahnle, and Frazier. The Giants would be able to get that deal with Nunez, Strickland and another one of our relievers, but it's another kind of bench mark. Nunez and Strick to the Red Sox could be lucrative for us.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves-Twins trade is interesting. The Braves ship Jaime Garcia and Anthony Recker to Minnesota, and agree to pay most of both's remaining salaries, in exchange for one pitching prospect. Huascar Ynoa is the 22nd ranked prospect . . . in the Twins' organization. Is it just me or does this deal seem a bit lopsided (or is the Twins' farm that deep)?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Braves-Twins trade is interesting. The Braves ship Jaime Garcia and Anthony Recker to Minnesota, and agree to pay most of both's remaining salaries, in exchange for one pitching prospect. Huascar Ynoa is the 22nd ranked prospect . . . in the Twins' organization. Is it just me or does this deal seem a bit lopsided (or is the Twins' farm that deep)?

I mean, Garcia isn't that good....

But I do think this is a great deal for the Twins. Low risk-ish.

Braves were probably trying to drum up interest but there was none.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Garcia isn't that good....

But I do think this is a great deal for the Twins. Low risk-ish.

Braves were probably trying to drum up interest but there was none.
I realize that Garcia isn't the same pitcher he was with the Cardinals a few years ago, but it just seemed so surprising to me that the Braves unloaded two veterans, while covering most of both contracts, for one mid to low level pitching prospect. I would have expected at least a 2nd low level prospect that they would have gotten or just a straight Garcia for Ynoa deal with the bulk of Garcia's contract paid for by Atlanta.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants did quite well with Nunez.

Shaun Anderson throws up to 97 with the fastball, his best pitch (which is an above average fastball), and he throws 3 different types off off-speed pitches. He was fantastic as Miami's closer in college, a teammate of Andrew Suarez. Red Sox immediately converted him to the rotation. There's some solid upside there as a starter. If he ends up a reliever, he should be able to be a high leverage guy with a great fastball and slider. Giants will continue to start him, and he's likely headed for San Jose. Chance to move quickly here.

I would have been happy if that's all the Giants got. Gregory Santos is a huge lottery ticket, but absolute gravy. He's 17 years old and touching 93. He'll move to the Giant's DSL facility and likely come state side next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants did quite well with Nunez.

Shaun Anderson throws up to 97 with the fastball, his best pitch (which is an above average fastball), and he throws 3 different types off off-speed pitches. He was fantastic as Miami's closer in college, a teammate of Andrew Suarez. Red Sox immediately converted him to the rotation. There's some solid upside there as a starter. If he ends up a reliever, he should be able to be a high leverage guy with a great fastball and slider. Giants will continue to start him, and he's likely headed for San Jose. Chance to move quickly here.

I would have been happy if that's all the Giants got. Gregory Santos is a huge lottery ticket, but absolute gravy. He's 17 years old and touching 93. He'll move to the Giant's DSL facility and likely come state side next year.
Anderson went to UF, not UM.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. In my head I pictured the blue, but for whatever reason thought Miami Hurricanes and made the Suarez association.
Just leads me to question everything you have ever written...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm usually pretty good about fact-checking, but it was late and I was tired.
9961827.jpg

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been revealed which 8 team's Sammy can't block a trade to:

Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, Yankees, Angles, Dodgers, A's, Nationals.

Of those teams, the Cubs, Yankees, Dodgers, and Nationals are the only potential teams. It's probably safe to say no to the Dodgers. The Nationals could use a starter, but aren't likely inclined for a long-term add like Sammy. More looking for a rental. The Yankees are looking for starting pitching and wouldn't mind the long-term commitment. The Cubs already made their big starting pitcher trade, and have Montgomery to fill in, likely looking for bullpen help instead.

Sammy also flat out said he would block trades to any team he can, so scratch the other 21 teams off.

So basically it's Yankees or bust. And the Yankees are in on Gray. So if you really want to see Sammy traded, hope that Gray get traded elsewhere and Sammy is the lone man standing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays just traded Conor Gillaspie's younger brother to the White Sox for a relief pitcher. Apparently, his brother was a top prospect in their system but is having a very bad year in AAA.