• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lonzo Ball is a good player. I think if LeBron came to the Cavs and said- "no matter what I am going to LA, but if you want to sign and trade me so i get more money and you get something back"- i think Lonzo is the guy i would want more than anyone else on the Lakers.

That being said- it seems that he has some knee issues- and as we see with Kyrie- having knee issues right when you are getting going early in your career isnt great considering you puts tens of thousands of minutes on your knees constantly jumping up and down.

I think that as far as elite lotto talent goes- hes not exactly what you hope for when you get a #2 pick. Is he an ALL NBA type talent? probably not....will he make multiple all star games in his career? probably not but that is not for certain- its at least a possibility. Is he probably a very solid player that could make one or two all star games in his career? i can see a case for that.

Lonzo looks like he has a great feel for the game- but he doesnt seem like he is athletic enough to finish at the rim with consistency and his shot is of course not the prettiest thing in the world. He has pretty good size, but does not seem quick enough to keep up defensively with the best of the best PG's.

You would have hoped hit shooting would have gotten a little better. He played 14 games in March before his knee started hurting again. He shot 35% from the field and 28% from 3. In Feb he only played 2 games. In January he only played 5 games. In december he played 10 games and shot 42% from the field and 38% from 3. On the season he is at 36% from the field, 31% from 3 and 45% from the FT line. His shooting is pretty awful.

he is averaging about 7 rebounds and 7 assists per game. Those are very good numbers. He has some great court vision. He rebounds exceptionally well for a guard.

honestly- when you look at all of this together, and look at his hype when he came in, his great passing, his poor (an understatement) shooting, his great size, his mediocre athleticism, his great court vision---I really think Ricky Rubio is a very good and appropriate comparison. People dont really remember how hyped Rubio was coming in- for his great size, his great court vision-- but like Lonzo- he lacks the high end athleticism to get to the rim and cant shoot. Intangible wise - he seems to be a great leader and a guy that people will follow---
I would want Ingram.

Reactions: LAD

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep nailed with this paragraph. I don't think he will be some legend
Lonzo is talented.

But, you have to surround him with the right type of talent.

He is not a plug and play type floor general that can slot into any roster.

Obviously, the emergence of Kuzma and Randle have been the highlight of the Lakers Season.

But, Ingram has taken a nice step forward too.

Outside of Kuzma, Hart is probably my favorite player on that roster.

So, with all that going on, Lonzo gets lost in the background, or overshadowed, which I actually think is a good thing because it lessens the pressure.

He's never going to be a huge scorer, outside of the rare explosion every now and then.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors and the Blazers are getting obliterated.

Portland is understandable against the Red Rockets with no Dame.

But, Indy up on the Dubs by ...22?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors and the Blazers are getting obliterated.

Portland is understandable against the Red Rockets with no Dame.

But, Indy up on the Dubs by ...22?
The Warriors have nothing to play for, so they are mailing this one in

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nance Jr. and Clarkson wont be making any all star teams any time soon- that is for sure---- but if the Lakers dont get LeBron--- then they will have given up those guys for practically no reason.

Actually, they gave them up for cap space. Clarkson and Nance are fairly easy to replace Clarkson moreso than Nance, imo) and with the Lakers looking to go after 2 max guys, they were going to be gone anyway. They also got a draft pick out of it, which they didn't have. It's a later pick, but they've had some luck with those.

Depending on how things go in the off-season and how they decide to play it. It also gives them a chance to possibly keep Randle (who has been on a nice tear and has averaged 19 and 9 in the 44 games he's started) while adding a couple of max guys.

They wouldn't be able to keep him and add 2 max guys this year. But they way I heard it explained earlier today, depending on the cap the following season, they could possibly keep him, add a max guy this year and another next year. How much he's offered and if he's willing to give the Lakers any kind of "hometown discount" would play into it as well.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why even play your starters?
Dont want to get fined for tanking LOL

Also they have been injured so they want to play a little to get their chemistry back and to prepare for a series without Curry

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they gave them up for cap space. Clarkson and Nance are fairly easy to replace Clarkson moreso than Nance, imo) and with the Lakers looking to go after 2 max guys, they were going to be gone anyway. They also got a draft pick out of it, which they didn't have. It's a later pick, but they've had some luck with those.

Depending on how things go in the off-season and how they decide to play it. It also gives them a chance to possibly keep Randle (who has been on a nice tear and has averaged 19 and 9 in the 44 games he's started) while adding a couple of max guys.

They wouldn't be able to keep him and add 2 max guys this year. But they way I heard it explained earlier today, depending on the cap the following season, they could possibly keep him, add a max guy this year and another next year. How much he's offered and if he's willing to give the Lakers any kind of "hometown discount" would play into it as well.
I get that they opened up 2 max slots---one might theoretically be George as we all have heard, but with Cousins and his injury---- is there another max guy out there you would actually want to spend the money on if not LeBron? I dont think there is.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo is talented.

But, you have to surround him with the right type of talent.

He is not a plug and play type floor general that can slot into any roster.

Obviously, the emergence of Kuzma and Randle have been the highlight of the Lakers Season.

But, Ingram has taken a nice step forward too.

Outside of Kuzma, Hart is probably my favorite player on that roster.

So, with all that going on, Lonzo gets lost in the background, or overshadowed, which I actually think is a good thing because it lessens the pressure.

He's never going to be a huge scorer, outside of the rare explosion every now and then.
interesting article I read on Lonzo a little while back..

How Lonzo Ball's shot hitch affects his playmaking

Plus: The worst-shooting season of Kidd's career came in his second year, when he posted a true shooting percentage of 46.8%. Ball, at present, sits at 39.4%. Even Ricky Rubio, whose limitations as a scorer have made him one of the most complicated players in the league despite his visionary passing and disruptive defense, has never shot worse than 47.6%.

The want to put the offense in Ball's hands is actively sabotaged by the fact that his jumper scares no one. Even Ball himself seems hesitant to unfurl it at times, not quite trusting that he has room and time enough to fire up a clean shot. His pick-and-rolls tend to idle as a result, making him a poor fit for that style of offense. But look around the league: Even offenses that don't lean heavily on pick-and-roll play draw from the shooting threat of their guards to be successful. You can't exactly run Ball around off-ball screens because his shooting form develops so slowly—allowing a defender precious time to catch up. Even when Ball does attempt threes, so many come from well behind the line out of practical necessity.

How can a team fully reconcile the winning plays Ball makes—the over-the-top passes with perfect placement, the hustle rebounds, the intuitive defense—with his troublesome fit? This is the question the Lakers drafted into, and its answer will require nuanced execution and near-constant creativity. The league is already wise to what Ball can and cannot do. Winning consistently will require subverting certain expectations, be it by shooting when opponents think Ball might not or by creating situational advantages with smart footwork.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lonzo Ball is a good player. I think if LeBron came to the Cavs and said- "no matter what I am going to LA, but if you want to sign and trade me so i get more money and you get something back"- i think Lonzo is the guy i would want more than anyone else on the Lakers.

That being said- it seems that he has some knee issues- and as we see with Kyrie- having knee issues right when you are getting going early in your career isnt great considering you puts tens of thousands of minutes on your knees constantly jumping up and down.

I think that as far as elite lotto talent goes- hes not exactly what you hope for when you get a #2 pick. Is he an ALL NBA type talent? probably not....will he make multiple all star games in his career? probably not but that is not for certain- its at least a possibility. Is he probably a very solid player that could make one or two all star games in his career? i can see a case for that.

Lonzo looks like he has a great feel for the game- but he doesnt seem like he is athletic enough to finish at the rim with consistency and his shot is of course not the prettiest thing in the world. He has pretty good size, but does not seem quick enough to keep up defensively with the best of the best PG's.

You would have hoped hit shooting would have gotten a little better. He played 14 games in March before his knee started hurting again. He shot 35% from the field and 28% from 3. In Feb he only played 2 games. In January he only played 5 games. In december he played 10 games and shot 42% from the field and 38% from 3. On the season he is at 36% from the field, 31% from 3 and 45% from the FT line. His shooting is pretty awful.

he is averaging about 7 rebounds and 7 assists per game. Those are very good numbers. He has some great court vision. He rebounds exceptionally well for a guard.

honestly- when you look at all of this together, and look at his hype when he came in, his great passing, his poor (an understatement) shooting, his great size, his mediocre athleticism, his great court vision---I really think Ricky Rubio is a very good and appropriate comparison. People dont really remember how hyped Rubio was coming in- for his great size, his great court vision-- but like Lonzo- he lacks the high end athleticism to get to the rim and cant shoot. Intangible wise - he seems to be a great leader and a guy that people will follow---

Pretty accurate assessment.

Personally, I love his court vision, his pace and the way he runs the offense. Despite his poor shooting, the Lakers offense runs much more smoothly when he's in the game.

I'm not terribly worried about whether or not he ever develops an outside shot. But it would definitely help his overall game if he develops at least a consistently serviceable one. He's mostly been pretty bad from the field, but he had a streak of games where he showed that he may be capable of getting there.

His free throw shooting is cringe worthy. If nothing else improves about his shooting, that's going to have to. He can't run the offense late in games if he's sitting out because he can't shoot free throws.

Not worried about his knees...yet. The Lakers have been very cautious with any injuries and have been waiting until the young guys are 100% before putting them back in. Luke has pretty much acknowledged that if this season were about wins or they were in the playoff hunt...he and Ingram would have missed far fewer games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that they opened up 2 max slots---one might theoretically be George as we all have heard, but with Cousins and his injury---- is there another max guy out there you would actually want to spend the money on if not LeBron? I dont think there is.

I can't think of one that I'd want at max money if Lebron stays in Cleveland or goes somewhere besides the Lakers. The timing could be tricky, but I could see them waiting as long as possible on Randle, signing 1 max guy and then matching to keep Randle.

They could also do something similar to this past off-season and match Randle, sign a couple of good vets to 1 year deals, preserving as much space as possible for next off-season.

Given IT finally having that surgery on his hip, I could see them signing him to a 1 year deal. He has fit in well and may be interested in a good 1 year deal to try and earn back some of the money he's lost.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would want Ingram.

If the Lakers can only keep one, I agree. Ingram is more likely to be a star than Lonzo. The only thing that would give me pause at all is that, with the way Lonzo plays and how the offense runs with him on the floor, he could have close to star level impact on a game, without actually being a star.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of one that I'd rather have if Lebron stays in Cleveland or goes somewhere besides the Lakers. The timing could be tricky, but I could see them waiting as long as possible on Randle, signing 1 max guy and then matching to keep Randle.

They could also do something similar to this past off-season and match Randle, sign a couple of good vets to 1 year deals, preserving as much space as possible for next off-season.

Given IT finally having that surgery on his hip, I could see them signing him to a 1 year deal. He has fit in well and may be interested in a good 1 year deal to try and earn back some of the money he's lost.

STILL not a huge fan of resigning ITty-bitty because he's a defensive liabilty, but i guess we'll see how it goes...

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, with PG13 it may be that him coming here might get him to play better...

as far as Boogie...?

use the money elsewhere i'd say...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
STILL not a huge fan of resigning ITty-bitty because he's a defensive liabilty, but i guess we'll see how it goes...

He performed well coming off the bench. Having him as an instant offense off the bench/spot starter guy, is a great role for him with the Lakers.

He also hasn't been near the defensive liability that people think. The Lakers defense has actually improved slightly since the all star break and acquiring IT.

Obviously, that improvement is because Luke and the coaches have figured out a way to "hide him" (like Stevens did in Boston) and the players know he's not stopping anybody, so they are probably being extra vigilant defensively.

Also, his defensive liability isn't because he doesn't try. Dude's always in the right spot defensively. He's just too damn short. lol

I was really on the fence about bringing him back at all. But then I read an article where both Luke and his teammates were effusive in their praise of him. Luke has really liked the way he's fit in and how hard he's worked, the players all seem to love him...that's good enough for me.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, with PG13 it may be that him coming here might get him to play better...

as far as Boogie...?

use the money elsewhere i'd say...

If Boogie hadn't blown his Achille's, they'd have to take good long look at him. But that injury is just too serious. Just about any other injury, you could justify taking a shot. But not that one. Especially on a big.