• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is where we veer in different directions.

I give Bron the nod because of his boards, dimes and he's actually scoring more.

In fairness, he has to score more because he plays with inferior talent compared to Kevin.

I'm sure Durant could average 40 if he wanted to.

But, those 6.8 boards a game?

He's fucking 7 feet tall.

Come on..
After giving this more thought, I came up with another reason KD is the front runner IMO. LBJ is only averaging 1 more point that KD, and you're correct regarding KD's team mates. On the other hand, if KD is able to perform neck n neck with LBJ while playing with a 2x MVP & 4 AS, that should speak volumes in itself. What if KD didn't have those team mates, odds are his numbers would be better? Have to give him credit for being so efficient while playing with two of the best shooters the game has possibly seen - and acknowledge he probably could be doing more if he needed to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok how's this:
If we're taking defense out of the equation, then we're only left with the offensive side of the court, right?
So, you don't think guys that are prolific scorers, like a Harden or KD aren't better? They can create their own shots better than he can, AND they are better shooters, agreed?

Both of them do pass the ball - Harden is averaging 8 assists this season & KD is averaging over 5. That's with Harding sharing the PG role with CP3 & KD playing with Steph AND Dray. LBJ this season is averaging 9 assists.

Also, both of them shoot F/T's better. KD 's F/T % is 16% better than LBJ - Harden's is 14% better. That is HUGE given the fact those aren't even guarded shots.

LBJ's only averaging 1 more point per game this season than KD - and 3 points less than Harden. Let's also remember this season LBJ has played 7 more games than Harden & 11 more games than KD. KD shoots the 3 @ 43%, Harden @ 37% & LBJ @ 36%.

LBJ does have a slight edge over KD on FG%, but not by much. He is much more efficient than Harden, I will give him that. But, KD & Harden shoot more jumpers than LBJ.

So, after looking at all of these things on offense - and then consider that KD is also doing more than LBJ on defense how could LBJ still be considered the best complete player? And after looking at it from this perspective -only considering offense - Harden gives him a run for his money too.

This is a really good post.

I tend to think LBJ and KD are pretty even right now as the top 2 players. LeBron probably does compare more directly with Harden than he does KD right now, but I think LeBron still might a have a tad more overall impact.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is picking on you.

The point is that you were using blocks and steals as an indicator of quality defense. Saying they don't tell the entire story isn't good enough. If that is your metric for defense, you are flat out wrong. I believe my post above proves that point emphatically.

Yet, you keep saying that steals and blocks are meaningful stats for perimeter players. They aren't at all unless put into proper context.

For example, Paul George gets a lot of steals because OKC's defense is predicated on ball pressure and denying one away. It is his job to be in passing lanes and he does it well. For other teams with more conservative defensive philosophy, a high number of steals can sometimes be an indicator of BAD defense because the player gambles too much and gets out of position going for those steals, a la James Harden and Allen Iverson.

I made a simple point. You keep doubling down on your assertion that steals and blocks are meaningful measures for defense. They aren't.
I didn't say you or anyone else was picking on me. I said it appeared you were picking an argument. Clearly we have differing opinions, but at the end of the day neither one is definitively right or wrong. Besides I originally said his stat line showed LITTLE defense. I never went on to say he didn't defend at all, only that it left some to be desired, which again is my own opinion.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say you or anyone else was picking on me. I said it appeared you were picking an argument. Clearly we have differing opinions, but at the end of the day neither one is definitively right or wrong. Besides I originally said his stat line showed LITTLE defense. I never went on to say he didn't defend at all, only that it left some to be desired, which again is my own opinion.

Well, LOL.

Because I think you are definitively wrong here. You can't judge whether or not a player was effective or whether they applied defensive effort based on how many blocks or steals they have. Just doesn't work.

By the way, LeBron does lead the Cavs in both blocks and steals on the season. But, as I said before, that does not prove he has either been good or bad defensively. It is meaningless without the context of scheme and advanced stats.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, LOL.

Because I think you are definitively wrong here. You can't judge whether or not a player was effective or whether they applied defensive effort based on how many blocks or steals they have. Just doesn't work.

By the way, LeBron does lead the Cavs in both blocks and steals on the season. But, as I said before, that does not prove he has either been good or bad defensively. It is meaningless without the context of scheme and advanced stats.
LOL ok

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Memphis gets the #1 pick.....do they take Ayton and trade Gasol?
Every mock simulation has them taking Doncic.

Every team outside of them and Philly would take Ayton.

But, it's way to early to really know until workouts.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a really good post.

I tend to think LBJ and KD are pretty even right now as the top 2 players. LeBron probably does compare more directly with Harden than he does KD right now, but I think LeBron still might a have a tad more overall impact.
Yep, she brought it that post.

Props.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets and Toronto in a tight one. Raptors up 1

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets, Bulls, and Knicks all lose? What a surprise!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL ok well it's your opinion that being the best player in the game doesn't mean being the best at every facet of the game.

Mine and pretty much everyone else's opinion. There hasn't been a "best player in the game" who was the best in every facet of the game. Not even MJ.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SPURS go 6-0 on the homestand after a very wobbly rodeo road trip.

Still have to dig themselves out of that 3-11 stretch, but the homestand was key with wins over Minny, NOLA, and Utah.

ALDRIDGE is carrying a really challenged supporting cast.

Now, lets see if they can actually win any games on the road at all.