• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That article jerks the knee a little bit too much.

First off, asking whether someone CAN play another position is not the same as saying that you are going to play that player at another position. It's not like it has never happened before. Eric Crouch was a Heisman award winner who never even got a shot at playing QB. He was drafted as a DB. He was white. Terrelle Pryor was drafted as a QB but shifted to WR.

I'm pretty down on Lamar Jackson. I'm also really down on Josh Allen. However if I was asked to choose between the two I would probably take Jackson ESPECIALLY if he could switch a WR if he doesn't pan out as WR.

I would argue that Josh Allen is a great example of how teams don't care about skin color and fall in love with measurables.

7 teams had starting QBs in the NFL that were black including 2 that are legitimate MVP level players, Wilson and Newton. Too fall back to the trope of claiming the NFL doesn't trust black QBs is pretty silly.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,116.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, asking whether someone CAN play another position is not the same as saying that you are going to play that player at another position. It's not like it has never happened before. Eric Crouch was a Heisman award winner who never even got a shot at playing QB. He was drafted as a DB. He was white. Terrelle Pryor was drafted as a QB but shifted to WR.

I'm pretty down on Lamar Jackson. I'm also really down on Josh Allen. However if I was asked to choose between the two I would probably take Jackson ESPECIALLY if he could switch a WR if he doesn't pan out as WR.

I would argue that Josh Allen is a great example of how teams don't care about skin color and fall in love with measurables.

7 teams had starting QBs in the NFL that were black including 2 that are legitimate MVP level players, Wilson and Newton. Too fall back to the trope of claiming the NFL doesn't trust black QBs is pretty silly.

Jackson had a better season this past one than the one he won a Heisman.

He's a Michael Vick-like talent. He had a better college career (at least statistically) than Vick......he ws an electrifying player.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,116.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft him to play QB and if he doesn't succeed......try and convert him to RB...at least that's something he's done......run around a lot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance, @shopson67

Do you have Jaren Jackson and injured ass Porter ahead of Bagley?

I've looked at 3 different mocks this morning that have Bagley behind them.

Also, do you think there is a chance that Brian Bowen declares?

I have my eyes firmly fixed on Sexton or Bamba if we get that Detroit pick.

I don't. I would have Bagley ahead of both (marginally ahead of Porter) and Jaren is a few picks back.

Top 10 something like this I guess....?

Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Bamba
Doncic (not sure where to put him, haven't seen much of him at all)
Jaren
Bridges (Nova)
Young
Sexton
Carter

As far as Bowen goes, I doubt it, but anything is possible. Why enroll at S. Carolina in January knowing you would have to sit out two semesters if you're going pro after 1 semester? Has there been discussion that he might?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson had a better season this past one than the one he won a Heisman.

He's a Michael Vick-like talent. He had a better college career (at least statistically) than Vick......he ws an electrifying player.

He could become a quality NFL QB. But, IMO, there are a lot of risks with him. If he could allay those risk by showing he is a versatile athlete, that would ease those concerns and likely increase his draft value.

I've never watched Josh Allen play so maybe his numbers are deceptive because his entire is just atrocious. But physical specimens like him almost never pan out in the NFL. So I wouldn't touch him anywhere close to where he is projected.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call Pop the GOAT. Top 5 maybe.

Having more titles doesn't always translate to being better.

Example 1 -Jordan over Kobe.

Yes, because Mike was the better player and had more rings

Example 2 -Horry over Barkley/Malone because.... gtfoh for obvious reasons.

Being a great manager of talent, egos * Phil * is not the same as being a great X's and O's coach.

I have both top 5. But, grudgingly give Pop #1.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could become a quality NFL QB. But, IMO, there are a lot of risks with him. If he could allay those risk by showing he is a versatile athlete, that would ease those concerns and likely increase his draft value.

I've never watched Josh Allen play so maybe his numbers are deceptive because his entire is just atrocious. But physical specimens like him almost never pan out in the NFL. So I wouldn't touch him anywhere close to where he is projected.
He needs to eat 1,000 cheeseburgers a day if he wants to play quarterback.

He's way to light in the ass and would be broken quickly.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. I would have Bagley ahead of both (marginally ahead of Porter) and Jaren is a few picks back.

Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Bamba
Jaren
Bridges (Nova)
Young
Sexton
Carter

As far as Bowen goes, I doubt it, but anything is possible. Why enroll at S. Carolina in January knowing you would have to sit out two semesters if you're going pro after 1 semester? Has there been discussion that he might?

Bagles is so freaking good man. If you need a big man, I think I prefer him over Ayton but I haven't watched Ayton as much so may be biased

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,116.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a key to work......here and ready for another BIG DAY.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE EVEN.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bagles is so freaking good man. If you need a big man, I think I prefer him over Ayton but I haven't watched Ayton as much so may be biased

The games I've seen Bagley play he hasn't really been tested. He just seems quicker off his feet than most college bigs, getting easy rebounds for easy putbacks. Admittedly, I hate Duke (Orange fan), so I don't watch them much other than when they play Syracuse. Plus, I'm a bit focused on centers, since the Lakers really need one lol. I think Bagley is likely a PF, whereas Ayton already has that NBA body.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crouch and Pryor were nowhere near the QB that Jackson is IMO. Better comparisons are Vick (ceiling) and Tyrod (floor) from what I've seen. Teams are getting scared off by RG3's injuries and quick fall IMO, but that is understandable to a degree.

To expect the kid to play WR when he has never done so after his strong college career at QB is a bit much.

Lamar Jackson’s not like these 28 famous QB-to-WR converts

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The games I've seen Bagley play he hasn't really been tested. He just seems quicker off his feet than most college bigs, getting easy rebounds for easy putbacks. Admittedly, I hate Duke (Orange fan), so I don't watch them much other than when they play Syracuse. Plus, I'm a bit focused on centers, since the Lakers really need one lol. I think Bagley is likely a PF, whereas Ayton already has that NBA body.

Yeah Bagley is no doubt a PF & will eventually become a stretch 4. Can make the 3 ball and once he put in more work in the summer, I can see that becoming a huge part of his game. Doesn't shoot them much but 37% on 53 attempts is solid

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having more titles doesn't always translate to being better.

Example 1 -Jordan over Kobe.

Yes, because Mike was the better player and had more rings

Example 2 -Horry over Barkley/Malone because.... gtfoh for obvious reasons.

Being a great manager of talent, egos * Phil * is not the same as being a great X's and O's coach.

I have both top 5. But, grudgingly give Pop #1.

I can see that. Phil has always been more of a manager than a coach, and the coaching he did do was often delegated through assistants.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bagley is no doubt a PF & will eventually become a stretch 4. Can make the 3 ball and once he put in more work in the summer, I can see that becoming a huge part of his game. Doesn't shoot them much but 37% on 53 attempts is solid

Their stats are awfully similar, but I would give Ayton the advantage as he's got less around him and is a true center. Bagley's FT% is strangely lacking, barely above his FG%. Bamba lags behind both of them offensively, but defensively he has all the tools.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan didn't have much of a chance in his career to win without Phil. Jordan was still maturing in the league as was Pippen; Phil came in at the perfect time to Chicago. Phil again came when the young Lakers core were still figuring things out and he got them in the right direction in the early 2000's. You're probably referencing the mid-2000's where Phil wasn't coaching and Kobe wasn't getting to the playoffs. The Lakers roster at that time was abysmal and I'd imagine that if Phil was coaching that exact roster, he wouldn't have much success. Phil Jackson's a top 5 coach, but what Pop was able to do over a longer course is simply amazing. Phil coached 3 players that most considering in their all-time top 10 (Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe), Pop coached one in Duncan.

Phil's better at managing elite talent personalities. Pop's clearly a better X's and O's guys. The reason I say that to add onto what @tlance has been saying is that Phil has been married to the triangle system - even when he doesn't have the personnel to run it - particularly forcing it on any coach who was in NY during his tenure as president.
Yeah, I could have just saved myself some keystrokes and just said......^ this^

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ayton
Bagley
Porter
Bamba
Jaren
Bridges (Nova)
Young
Sexton
Carter

I really like Bamba.

No, haven't seen anything to suggest Bowen was making the jump.

I just remember H Diallo, Kentucky, being in the same position last year and testing the waters before returning to school.

I can't believe Thon Makers brother is coming out this draft.

He should go to college.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sexton is fucking up my dream of getting him with that Pistons pick.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The end of the Pistons

To their credit, no one with the Detroit Pistons has spun this free fall as something they saw coming -- the predictable result of a mega-trade that gutted their wing rotation. They traded for Blake Griffin to make the playoffs. Now their chances are nearing zero.

Detroit is 6-10 since acquiring Griffin, and every one of those wins -- including Griffin's first four games -- came at home against teams on the second end of a back-to-back.

The Pistons are hemorrhaging 3-pointers on defense, and they rank 24th in points scored per possession since the trade. Five of six teams scoring at a worse rate are trying to lose. Their most-used starting lineup, now mothballed, included one 3-point shooter -- Reggie Bullock -- and Detroit has him barfing up long 2-pointer after long 2-pointer in sets Kentavious Caldwell-Pope wore out years ago.

Detroit might argue absorbing Griffin didn't cost much, since they would have paid Tobias Harris a ton in free agency next summer. Baloney/bologna. Harris won't make as much as Griffin, and he's three years younger. Coughing up a lottery pick -- the ultimate evidence Detroit expected a playoff push -- is a gut punch, especially after using their previous two on Stanley Johnson and Luke Kennard. (It's unclear what those guys will be -- I'm more bullish on Johnson than most -- but it is clear Detroit failed to maximize either pick.)

Griffin and Andre Drummond can (kinda) fit -- just not with this surrounding talent. Bad news: Detroit is in cap hell through 2019-20, with no realistic means of rejiggering that surrounding talent. The Pistons executed nice trades for Reggie Jackson and Harris, but undid that good work by overpaying role players out of a self-defeating belief that no one would ever choose Detroit otherwise. (The same logic pushed them to jump the market on Griffin, a fine player on a giant contract that carries too much downside risk for what Detroit paid.)

One move they have, other than potentially separating from Stan Van Gundy: flipping Drummond while his value is still neutral-ish, and recentering around Griffin. Detroit has a fascinating summer ahead.

Lowe's 10 things: Houston's sharp edges, Lillard's ice and the new old Iggy