• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the NBA's 2018 salary-cap projection of $101 million, James will get up to $35.4 million, while Cousins and George can top out at $30.3 million.

The math doesn't actually work for the Lakers, who are looking at roughly $47.5 million in space once they renounce the rights to Julius Randle, Brook Lopez, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Corey Brewer and Andrew Bogut while waiving Ivica Zubac, Thomas Bryant and Tyler Ennis.

They'll have to do something about Deng's contract too if they are going to even get close. Either trade it (don't see that happening) or stretch it.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll have to do something about Deng's contract too if they are going to get close. Either trade it (don't see that happening) or stretch it.
Yup.

Ennis had a good game.

But, he will be sacrificed to the basketball Gods to get room for those max deals.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

Ennis had a good game.

But, he will be sacrificed to the basketball Gods to get room for those max deals.

With all of the talk about going after 2 max FA's, I'm sure Magic and Pelinka have some sort of plan to clear space. The question will be whether or not they can actually pull off clearing the space and landing the players.

Gonna be another interesting off season in Lakersland.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA contracts=guaranteed. You can't just waive them like the NFL.
Yes you can.

It becomes dead money and gets stretched if nobody claims the contract.

1.6 mil over 3 to 5 years is nothing.

But, hey...

DJ > Eric Pincus

Pincus bio...

NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement expert and capologist, currently covering the league for Basketball Insiders and the Los Angeles Lakers for Bleacher Report
. Also Chief Information Officer for Bob Gail Special Events, an event production company and prop house in Los Angeles, developing software while managing IT and finances.

DJ bio

Sportshoopla Supporting Member.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of the talk about going after 2 max FA's, I'm sure Magic and Pelinka have some sort of plan to clear space. The question will be whether or not they can actually pull off clearing the space and landing the players.

As long as it's for the right players and you keep Ball, Ingram, Kuz, Hart....

It's a win.

I think Nance is safe too and you will have the Mid level exception of 8mil.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,416.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dollar shave club. Never had that experience shaving.....

You?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,416.31
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes you can.

It becomes dead money and gets stretched if nobody claims the contract.

But, hey...

DJ > Eric Pincus

Pincus bio...

NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement expert and capologist, currently covering the league for Basketball Insiders and the Los Angeles Lakers for Bleacher Report
. Also Chief Information Officer for Bob Gail Special Events, an event production company and prop house in Los Angeles, developing software while managing IT and finances.

DJ bio

Sportshoopla Supporting Member.

Waving and stretching somebdy is the same?

The terminology is throwing me off.

You forgot the 5 years as reporter @ the GNP & 4 years @ 7poundbag.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dollar shave club. Never had that experience shaving.....

You?

Yeah. I like it. Costs much less than buying them at the store and the blades are real good quality. I had to slow down on my deliveries because I was getting a backlog of blades. lol

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waving and stretching somebdy is the same?

The terminology is throwing me off.

You forgot the 5 years as reporter @ the GNP & 4 years @ 7poundbag.
Oh, well Damn me all to hell for not posting the entire article for the 10th time.

It should be assumed.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you missed the "but he's very inexperienced and is why I think he would be better served staying in school for another year" part. lol

What he's lacking can be learned. He doesn't even have 2 full seasons as a starter under his belt.

Didn't miss it at all.

The mental part of the game can be learned for sure, but there are many cognitive skills that go into being able to read defenses. It could be that he has the cognitive skillsets, but hasn't cultivated them yet. Or, it could be that he lacks the skills all together and won't ever get there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't miss it at all.

The mental part of the game can be learned for sure, but there are many cognitive skills that go into being able to read defenses. It could be that he has the cognitive skillsets, but hasn't cultivated them yet. Or, it could be that he lacks the skills all together and won't ever get there.

Based on his experience and what he showed over the 2nd half of the season, learning to read defenses and work through progressions shouldn't be a problem. He has less than 2 seasons under his belt as a starter and started his 2nd season with an all new receiving corp.

He still has a bit too much of a "gunslinger mentality" but more playing time and especially more time in the film room should help calm that down a little. Don't want him to completely lose that because it's part of why he makes some of the amazing plays that he does. But there were a few too many times that he tried to force things that weren't there.

To folks who haven't watched all of his games, he looks like he regressed because he showed holes in his game that didn't seem to be there last season. The difference is that last year he had guys like Juju Smith-Schuster, Darreus Rodgers and Adoree Jackson (when USC used him on offense) to cover up those holes. Those guys are now in the NFL. This year, with a new and inexperienced receiving corp, the holes in his game were exposed a bit. Especially in the first half of the season.

End of the day, it's entirely up to him. The talent is there, the brains are there and he seems like a kid who genuinely wants to be as good as he can. But if he doesn't put in the work or ends up in a bad situation, he may never fulfill his potential.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on his experience and what he showed over the 2nd half of the season, learning to read defenses and work through progressions shouldn't be a problem. He has less than 2 seasons under his belt as a starter and started his 2nd season with an all new receiving corp.

He still has a bit too much of a "gunslinger mentality" but more playing time and especially more time in the film room should help calm that down a little. Don't want him to completely lose that because it's part of why he makes some of the amazing plays that he does. But there were a few too many times that he tried to force things that weren't there.

To folks who haven't watched all of his games, he looks like he regressed because he showed holes in his game that didn't seem to be there last season. The difference is that last year he had guys like Juju Smith-Schuster, Darreus Rodgers and Adoree Jackson (when USC used him on offense) to cover up those holes. Those guys are now in the NFL. This year, with a new and inexperienced receiving corp, the holes in his game were exposed a bit. Especially in the first half of the season.

End of the day, it's entirely up to him. The talent is there, the brains are there and he seems like a kid who genuinely wants to be as good as he can. But if he doesn't put in the work or ends up in a bad situation, he may never fulfill his potential.

I have a friend who is a neurologist and started a business analyzing cognitive skill sets for athletes. They are contracted by a number of MLB teams, 2 NFL teams and a few college football programs (Alabama is one).

It isn't as simple as saying that he just has to learn. Some athletes simply don't have the ability to process Information quickly and accurately and make effective decisions. There are a lot of highly intelligent people who have relatively low "sports sense" and some not so bright ones who score highly.

There is more to it than just being smart and being a hard worker. Most NFL QBs check those two boxes. Not saying Darnold doesn't have what it takes, but I wouldn't assume he does either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact, the Lakers are the first team in over 65 years to have three rookies score at least 25 points in a game.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll have to do something about Deng's contract too if they are going to even get close. Either trade it (don't see that happening) or stretch it.
As I understand it though, the Lakers could buy out the Deng contract and then the entire buy out would count towards this year and obviously they would end up paying some luxary tax, but they would wipe out that amount next year. Lakers on Lakernation have hinted they are confident that they can trade the Clarkson contract and Randle - then they will have plenty.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I understand it though, the Lakers could buy out the Deng contract and then the entire buy out would count towards this year and obviously they would end up paying some luxary tax, but they would wipe out that amount next year. Lakers on Lakernation have hinted they are confident that they can trade the Clarkson contract and Randle - then they will have plenty.

Where did you read that? Not doubting, just haven't heard it.