• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 150,921.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Lakers might have found a PG.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man.

Looks like a potential bust to me. It isn't the physical traits that makes a great QB. It is the mental ones. Yeah, you need some baseline physical ability also, but I don't care how talented you are, if you can't read defenses you won't last as an NFL QB.

Physical traits for these QB prospects get way overhype's every single year.

I guess you missed the "but he's very inexperienced and is why I think he would be better served staying in school for another year" part. lol

What he's lacking can be learned. He doesn't even have 2 full seasons as a starter under his belt.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Lakers might have found a PG.

What did Lonzo go to Lithuanian w/ his Dad & brothers? Otherwise they don't got no PG.

I know I recently said I wasn't gonna talk shit about the Lakers in '18, I was joking. Happy New Year!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold had a tough Cotton Bowl. I even said earlier in the year the best thing for him would be to return to USC for another season. The NFL will still be there for him. Spending 1 more season working on his game would only help him.

Agree. He needs to learn to recognize defenses sooner and go through his progressions quicker. If he can master those, which from everything I've heard about him, shouldn't be a problem, he can be really good in the NFL.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. He needs to learn to recognize defenses sooner and go through his progressions quicker. If he can master those, which from everything I've heard about him, shouldn't be a problem, he can be really good in the NFL.

If he can cut down on his int's in '18 he could be scary good. There's no question he has the tools to play @ the next level though. I just hope he does the right thing & returns for 1 more year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he won't.

* See Matt Leinhart

Different players. Leinart came back, but didn't really have anything to work on. He was trying to make history by leading USC to 3 straight National Championships.

Darnold has real stuff that he needs to improve. So, while he would also be looking to lead USC to a National Championship, he also has stuff he needs to work on.

Leinart dropped in the draft by coming back because teams started questioning his desire to play in the NFL and picking his game part. His numbers his senior season were virtually identical to his junior season. So there was no improvement in his game to point to.

Darnold may not judged as harshly if he shows improvement because folks know that he has holes in his game.

As I've said though, those NFL millions are hard to walk away from.

Either way, he'll be taking a risk. If he stays in college, he could get hurt which would cost him millions in the next draft. If he goes, he could get stuck being labeled as some lousy teams savior, not get the time to develop the rest of his game and end up out of the league or as a career back up bouncing from team to team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can cut down on his int's in '18 he could be scary good. There's no question he has the tools to play @ the next level though. I just hope he does the right thing & returns for 1 more year.

A lot of his interception issue was a bit overblown, imo. Most of them were in the first half of the season when he was still trying to get on the same page as his new receiving corp. There were several ints where the ball bounced off of his receivers hands or the receiver broke off a route he shouldn't have. To be fair, there were also a few from trying to make plays that weren't really there and that's something he needs to work on.

The fumbles were what I found more problematic. It's fine to move around in the pocket and try to make a play, but there's a point where you have to either just tuck the ball or throw it away.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of his interception issue was a bit overblown, imo. Most of them were in the first half of the season when he was still trying to get on the same page as his new receiving corp. There were several ints where the ball bounced off of his receivers hands or the receiver broke off a route he shouldn't have. To be fair, there were also a few from trying to make plays that weren't really there and that's something he needs to work on.

The fumbles were what I found more problematic. It's fine to move around in the pocket and try to make a play, but there's a point where you have to either just tuck the ball or throw it away.

Gotta take your word about the int's. The only time I watched an entire USC this year was the Cotton Bowl. Has there been any info about his decision yet?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta take your word about the int's. The only time I watched an entire USC this year was the Cotton Bowl. Has there been any info about his decision yet?

Not yet. Not sure how soon to expect one. He has said he's going to discuss it with his family. There are alkso several other underclassmen who have said that what he does will influence their decisions as well. So I expect he'll probably talk to them as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet. Not sure how soon to expect one. He has said he's going to discuss it with his family. There are alkso several other underclassmen who have said that what he does will influence their decisions as well. So I expect he'll probably talk to them as well.

Well for all of you USC fans I hope he decides to return.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different players. Leinart came back, but didn't really have anything to work on. He was trying to make history by leading USC to 3 straight National Championships.

Darnold has real stuff that he needs to improve. So, while he would also be looking to lead USC to a National Championship, he also has stuff he needs to work on.

Leinart dropped in the draft by coming back because teams started questioning his desire to play in the NFL and picking his game part. His numbers his senior season were virtually identical to his junior season. So there was no improvement in his game to point to.

Darnold may not judged as harshly if he shows improvement because folks know that he has holes in his game.

As I've said though, those NFL millions are hard to walk away from.

Either way, he'll be taking a risk. If he stays in college, he could get hurt which would cost him millions in the next draft. If he goes, he could get stuck being labeled as some lousy teams savior, not get the time to develop the rest of his game and end up out of the league or as a career back up bouncing from team to team.
Agree.

My statement is not based on talent.

Some of these guys don't pan out for various reasons.

Wrong team drafts them, injury, attitude etc.

So, I don't see this kid leaving that money on the table.

Do I think Matt would have had a better career had he gone pro earlier?

No.

But, he would have had a healthier bank account.

His saving grace is his baby mama chose a much richer guy to procreate with the 2nd and 3rd time.

So, she doesn't need to bleed him dry.

blake-griffin-and-son-ford-5-16-15.jpg

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

My statement is not based on talent.

Some of these guys don't pan out for various reasons.

Wrong team drafts them, injury, attitude etc.

So, I don't see this kid leaving that money on the table.

Do I think Matt would have had a better career had he gone pro earlier?

No.

But, he would have had a healthier bank account.

His saving grace is his baby mama chose a much richer guy to procreate with the 2nd and 3rd time.

So, she doesn't need to bleed him dry.

blake-griffin-and-son-ford-5-16-15.jpg

That's the interesting thing with Darnold though, from what I've heard, this isn't a kid whose family is depending on him to bail them out financially.

I understand that if he stays, he could very well ends up like Leinart, but since he has real holes in his game, he could also go the NFL as a more finished product. That would give him a better chance at a long career than if he becomes the next qb to be ruined by the Browns. lol

Rookie deals are more team friendly now which presents a bit of a double edged sword, imo. I think it makes it easier for a team to walk away from a guy who doesn't pan out because they have less of a financial investment. But I also think that it could make it easier for kids to stay in school another season because it will be easier for them to make up any money they lose initially by having a longer career.

End of the day, he seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. I hope whichever decision he makes works out well for him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he SHOULD, but we'll see how it plays out...

Agreed. He's rated 1 of the best QB for the upcoming draft. The flip side to him staying is he's only 1 injury away from possibly not living out his dream. Like I said earlier I hope he stays. But I can understand if he declares.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Based on the NBA's 2018 salary-cap projection of $101 million, James will get up to $35.4 million, while Cousins and George can top out at $30.3 million.

The math doesn't actually work for the Lakers, who are looking at roughly $47.5 million in space once they renounce the rights to Julius Randle, Brook Lopez, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Corey Brewer and Andrew Bogut while waiving Ivica Zubac, Thomas Bryant and Tyler Ennis.