• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Regular season thread

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit that my wording was probably stronger than it needed to be... but still, it's frustrating to see the possibility that Buck's decision of who to play could make the bad situation even worse.

Then again, you could argue that the recent cold streak was mostly caused by the lack of offense as opposed to failure by the pitching staff-- just look at the sharp drop-off in team OPS over the last 7 days versus the 2016 season so far as a whole (0.626 vs. 0.792 as of yesterday) and compare that to the recent trend in team ERA (3.54 in the last 7 days, vs. 3.73 for the entire season as of yesterday).

I believe Buck is a huge #'s guy and usually goes by that to determine the lineup most nights. Sometimes I think his stubbornness gets the best of him and he'll play guys that obviously need a day or two off.

Every team is going to go through times where the offense will hit a dry spell when the pitching is good and vice versa. I believe that this offense is too good to stay in a slump for so long. This is an offense that I'd match with just about any team in the league and feel great about our chances. Same goes with the bullpen. If we just had a starting five that was on par with them, I'd feel even better about our chances of making it to the playoffs and even the World Series. But from what I have seen from this pitching staff, we'll be lucky to even make a wild card game in my opinion because you can only rely on the offense so much before your pitching has to carry it's share of the load as well.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Addendum:
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the splits by position. Here are the results as of yesterday...

OPS for batters:
  • As C: 0.658, 17th in the MLB (league avg = 0.673)
  • As 1B: 0.855, 7th in the MLB (league avg = 0.724)
  • As 2B: 0.666, 23rd in the MLB (league avg = 0.755)
  • As 3B: 1.088, 1st in the MLB (league avg = 0.769)
  • As SS: 0.735, 10th in the MLB (league avg = 0.679)
  • As LF: 0.870, 9th in the MLB (league avg = 0.758)
  • As CF: 0.626, 22nd in the MLB (league avg = 0.678)
  • As RF: 0.839, 12th in the MLB (league avg = 0.809)
  • As DH: 0.741, 6th in the AL (AL avg = 0.716)
==> At first glance, this almost calls for benching Schoop and Jones. The problem is that the alternatives are arguably even worse:
  • For 2B, Flaherty's numbers are even worse (and he was just sent down anyway, which means that the team literally has no alternatives for the time being).
  • For CF, not starting Jones means an outfield of Kim / Rickard / Reimold (or Reimold / Rickard / Trumbo), which will be horrible on defense.

ERA for pitchers:
  • As starter: 5.12, 25th in the MLB (league avg = 4.16)
  • As reliever: 1.78, 2nd in the MLB (league avg = 3.66)
==> Not much else to say here: If the discrepancy is that large, by all means, burn the bullpen early and often. (If all else fails, there's always the Norfolk shuttle...)

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its very obvious that Schoop and Jones are struggling big time. Jones getting picked off last night is inexcusable. Like you said since they send Flaherty down who else can play 2nd to give him a day or 2 off?

I would move Jones out of the 3 hole some where way lower like 7,8 maybe that would help? Of course buck will stick with the same ole Jones at 3 and Pedro at DH.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's time to start using rickard as a sub and let him work on his trade . we need nolan someone proven btw rickard is 2 - 20 and looks over matched pretty sure both his hits were like last nights . nolan is one that can put it on the board yes . rickard is a vast improvement over lough but to think that the rays missed by so much on his ability is laughable .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's time to start using rickard as a sub and let him work on his trade . we need nolan someone proven btw rickard is 2 - 20 and looks over matched pretty sure both his hits were like last nights . nolan is one that can put it on the board yes . rickard is a vast improvement over lough but to think that the rays missed by so much on his ability is laughable .

Agreed... But that means an outfield of Reimold / Jones / Trumbo, which will still be a defensive liability. (I'd seriously consider starting Davis in RF while moving Trumbo to 1B if that's what we're stuck with.) Also, you would have to continue starting Alvarez at DH unless Buck is willing to play Kim somewhere on a regular basis.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be opposed to a OF of Kim LF, Jones, Riemold in RF for a game or to. Kim can't be worse than Trumbo. Then DH trumbo.

I would switch up the line up too. Maybe something like this:

Riemold RF
Jones
Machado
Trumbo
Davis
Hardy
Weiters/Joseph
Schoop
Kim

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... But that means an outfield of Reimold / Jones / Trumbo, which will still be a defensive liability. (I'd seriously consider starting Davis in RF while moving Trumbo to 1B if that's what we're stuck with.) Also, you would have to continue starting Alvarez at DH unless Buck is willing to play Kim somewhere on a regular basis.
trumbo in the outfield sucks nolan is above avg in fielding and has an arm . jones and schoop will get hot .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to masnsport adair was the reason for britton , tilly and jake struggles they couldn't work with him .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Buck has Reimold starting in LF tonight Rickard in RF. Dropped Schoop to 9 but kept Jones at 3.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its very obvious that Schoop and Jones are struggling big time. Jones getting picked off last night is inexcusable. Like you said since they send Flaherty down who else can play 2nd to give him a day or 2 off?

I would move Jones out of the 3 hole some where way lower like 7,8 maybe that would help? Of course buck will stick with the same ole Jones at 3 and Pedro at DH.
Jones definitely needs to move to either the 2 slot or the 6 or 7. Manny needs to be hitting 3rd.

Rickard could be a guy like Parades. Starts off hot then when the league adjusts, he can't find a way to adjust back.

I think a Reimold/Kim platoon would be best right now and Rickard can be used off the bench since he can play any of the three OF spots. I'd leave Alvarez on the bench and play whichever of Kim and Reimold isn't on the bench as DH. That way with Alvarez available off the bench, we'd at least have an infielder available if need be.
according to masnsport adair was the reason for britton , tilly and jake struggles they couldn't work with him .

:L:gaah::mad2::tsk:

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tilly looks good tonight

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad that we were able to score more than one run and ended the 3 game losing streak... No thanks to the 2-6 guys, going a combined 0-18 with 1 BB.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear to God, if they riot this weekend in Baltimore over this latest shooting, I am going to lose my shit. I am finally getting to go to a game in over 15 years, and these bastards better not fuck it up.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all have to remember matt has never been good at framing pitches but for that part good at calling a game . maybe another reason for arrieta not doing well in baltimore .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we all have to remember matt has never been good at framing pitches but for that part good at calling a game . maybe another reason for arrieta not doing well in baltimore .

"But catcher's ERA is a meaningless stat." / "Oh, really?"
  • When Arrieta is caught by Wieters: 311.0 IP, 5.35 ERA, 0.764 OPS against
  • When Arrieta is caught by anyone else: 515.1 IP, 2.53 ERA, ~0.579 OPS against

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck finally moved Jones out of the 3 hole and Pedro out of the lineup 2 games in a row. Is Buck on this forum????

Tonight's lineup;

Rickard RF, Manny, Davis, Trumbo DH, Jones, Hardy, Reimold LF, Schoop, Joseph