• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Regular season thread

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Once it was past the 7th and it was tied I knew we weren't going to win it. Jones was swinging at every pitch thrown to him. Not really surprised that's how they been all year. Live on the home run die on the home run. Riemold is terrible and hopefully wont be on the team next year. We need a high on base right fielder. Can we get Nick back?
I know I've said it ad nauseum but I'll say it again anyways... I wish that we had signed Cespedes instead of caving to Davis'/Boras' demands. Our outfield would've been a lot better I believe and the lineup wouldn't have needed altering that much. I believe if that had happened, we'd have room to keep Mancini at first for next year and if we would be able to sign Trumbo to an extension, he could be the permanent DH (even though Alvarez is likely gone regardless).

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I've said it ad nauseum but I'll say it again anyways... I wish that we had signed Cespedes instead of caving to Davis'/Boras' demands. Our outfield would've been a lot better I believe and the lineup wouldn't have needed altering that much. I believe if that had happened, we'd have room to keep Mancini at first for next year and if we would be able to sign Trumbo to an extension, he could be the permanent DH (even though Alvarez is likely gone regardless).

I was all for Cespedes. Who knows he'll most likely opt out. Maybe we'll sign him :thumb: I don't see that happening though.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all for Cespedes. Who knows he'll most likely opt out. Maybe we'll sign him :thumb: I don't see that happening though.
I doubt we'd sign him but definitely wouldn't object to it since there's really no good starting pitchers on the market this offseason that I can recall offhand and can use that money on him. I'd put him in RF, Trumbo as DH and maybe try a platoon of Bourne and Kim in LF. We'll likely try to use most of the offseason money to sign Trumbo would be my guess and maybe try to sign Wieters to a one year deal while Sisco gets a little more seasoning down at Norfolk before we bring him up. If it were up to me, I'd still try to get a long term extension with Manny done as well. So I guess, here's some things on my offseason list that I'd like to see done (in no particular order)

1. Trade Chris Davis (offer salary relief to the team trading for him and try to get a starting pitcher or two back). This also opens up room for Mancini to be our first baseman.
2. Sign Wieters to a one year extension. I would probably say no to this if I thought that they had faith in Aubrey Perez and would bring him up. But since I don't want our catchers next year to be Joseph and Pena, I'd much rather see Wieters again for one more year while Sisco gets a little more experience in the minors.
3. Sign Cespedes (if he opts out). Don't think it'll happen but would love to see him in the outfield here.
4. Sign Trumbo to an extension. I think this ballpark fits him perfectly and he seems to like it here. Have him be a DH.
5. Try to sign Manny to a long-term extension. While he makes a lot of dumb base running mistakes, I still want his glove on the field and his bat in the lineup. I have a feeling the longer we wait on this, the less likely the chances of us re-signing him will be.
6. Trade Adam Jones. Probably not a popular decision with a lot of people but I'm tired of watching him constantly whiff at pitches nowhere near the strike zone on a nightly basis. Plus his OPS+ has gone down each since since 2012 and 30 overall points since then.
7. Start searching for a replacement for Hardy. I don't believe that we have anyone in the minors ready to take over for him when he leaves and would like to be well prepared for when that time comes. Especially since it seems like he goes on the DL once or twice a year (and don't want to see Flaherty in the lineup when that occurs).

While I realize that some of these things aren't likely to happen but would at least like to see what everyone here thinks. Anyone here feel free to mention anything I might've forgotten.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we'd sign him but definitely wouldn't object to it since there's really no good starting pitchers on the market this offseason that I can recall offhand and can use that money on him. I'd put him in RF, Trumbo as DH and maybe try a platoon of Bourne and Kim in LF. We'll likely try to use most of the offseason money to sign Trumbo would be my guess and maybe try to sign Wieters to a one year deal while Sisco gets a little more seasoning down at Norfolk before we bring him up. If it were up to me, I'd still try to get a long term extension with Manny done as well. So I guess, here's some things on my offseason list that I'd like to see done (in no particular order)

1. Trade Chris Davis (offer salary relief to the team trading for him and try to get a starting pitcher or two back). This also opens up room for Mancini to be our first baseman.
2. Sign Wieters to a one year extension. I would probably say no to this if I thought that they had faith in Aubrey Perez and would bring him up. But since I don't want our catchers next year to be Joseph and Pena, I'd much rather see Wieters again for one more year while Sisco gets a little more experience in the minors.
3. Sign Cespedes (if he opts out). Don't think it'll happen but would love to see him in the outfield here.
4. Sign Trumbo to an extension. I think this ballpark fits him perfectly and he seems to like it here. Have him be a DH.
5. Try to sign Manny to a long-term extension. While he makes a lot of dumb base running mistakes, I still want his glove on the field and his bat in the lineup. I have a feeling the longer we wait on this, the less likely the chances of us re-signing him will be.
6. Trade Adam Jones. Probably not a popular decision with a lot of people but I'm tired of watching him constantly whiff at pitches nowhere near the strike zone on a nightly basis. Plus his OPS+ has gone down each since since 2012 and 30 overall points since then.
7. Start searching for a replacement for Hardy. I don't believe that we have anyone in the minors ready to take over for him when he leaves and would like to be well prepared for when that time comes. Especially since it seems like he goes on the DL once or twice a year (and don't want to see Flaherty in the lineup when that occurs).

While I realize that some of these things aren't likely to happen but would at least like to see what everyone here thinks. Anyone here feel free to mention anything I might've forgotten.

1. Trading Davis would be interesting. I don't know how much of a market is out there for a guy that hit .221 and is due $138 million. Maybe hang on to him and hope he has a good first half next year and trade him in July? Wouldn't be opposed to putting the feelers out for a trade.

2. Wieters on a 1 year wouldn't be to bad. Going into the season I was saying he's gone after this year and let Joseph catch next. However, Joseph had a terrible year and we didn't see much of Pena. If we can get him on another 1 year I would be fine.

3. Yes.

4. Trumbo is interesting because he's similar to Davis hitting wise. If we can't get rid of Davis do we want 2 guys that can only hit homers? Plus, I think someone is going to way overpay for him. I would offer him a QO and take the draft pick if someone else offers a huge deal.

5. Yes.

6. Wouldn't be a good move some fans. I wouldn't mind trading him but who would play center? Rickard? :doh:

7. Yes, and not Manny.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Trading Davis would be interesting. I don't know how much of a market is out there for a guy that hit .221 and is due $138 million. Maybe hang on to him and hope he has a good first half next year and trade him in July? Wouldn't be opposed to putting the feelers out for a trade.

2. Wieters on a 1 year wouldn't be to bad. Going into the season I was saying he's gone after this year and let Joseph catch next. However, Joseph had a terrible year and we didn't see much of Pena. If we can get him on another 1 year I would be fine.

3. Yes.

4. Trumbo is interesting because he's similar to Davis hitting wise. If we can't get rid of Davis do we want 2 guys that can only hit homers? Plus, I think someone is going to way overpay for him. I would offer him a QO and take the draft pick if someone else offers a huge deal.

5. Yes.

6. Wouldn't be a good move some fans. I wouldn't mind trading him but who would play center? Rickard? :doh:

7. Yes, and not Manny.
Davis still hit 38 homers and plays a solid first base, so I think that there would be teams that'd be interested in him if there was some salary relief involved. I'm thinking maybe some AL teams would use him as a DH as well. :noidea:
As for Pena, I glanced at his numbers in Norfolk and they weren't anything great there either. Maybe either he or Joseph as a backup for Wieters would be fine. I still don't think I've seen a season like Joseph's like he had this past year.
Bourn could play center. Maybe if we traded him, we would get another CF in return. I'd say trade him to a west coast team since that's where he's from and would be a lot closer to his family. But say we got minor league depth for him (guys that were maybe a year away) I'd put Kim in LF, Bourn in CF and either Cespedes (if we signed him) or Trumbo (if we re-signed him). Rickard would be the reserve OF.
Agreed about not Manny playing SS. So here would be a theoretical lineup I believe if this would occur.

1. Bourn CF
2. Kim LF
3. Machado 3B
4. Trumbo DH
5. Cespedes RF
6. Mancini 1B
7. Wieters C
8. Schoop 2B
9. Hardy SS