• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Regular season thread

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our rotation as it stands is one of the worst in baseball. I knew that, you knew that and the front office knew that however, they signed Gallardo to improve this area. Unfortunately, he is not very good and has arm/shoulder problems. Compound that with Gausman's injury and we are in a very unfortunate situation. This team will not be able to endure 5 inning outings for much longer. Wright is shaky at best and needs more time down under but Wilson could stick. We need help with our pitching so hopefully we are still looking at Shields or someone.

On another subject, can we stop having Alvarez be the DH? WTH? Use anyone but Alvarez at this point.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our rotation as it stands is one of the worst in baseball. I knew that, you knew that and the front office knew that however, they signed Gallardo to improve this area. Unfortunately, he is not very good and has arm/shoulder problems. Compound that with Gausman's injury and we are in a very unfortunate situation. This team will not be able to endure 5 inning outings for much longer. Wright is shaky at best and needs more time down under but Wilson could stick. We need help with our pitching so hopefully we are still looking at Shields or someone.

On another subject, can we stop having Alvarez be the DH? WTH? Use anyone but Alvarez at this point.

You know BUCK isn't going to put up with a 180. BA and a small amount of homers

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it pathetic that it's come to the point where we think going 5 is decent innings? Granted, I think he only threw around 70 pitches. Definitely a low expectations pitching staff.
wilson hasn't been streched out he will get up to 100 pitches soon . wilson is a uva guy he is a pitcher and not a thrower . wright is still a thrower .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well us being so bad may lead to a hunter harvey up or a bundy as a starter in the second half of the year . could the light go on in gausman and wrights head both have the stuff . i'm sorry but who has always said matt calls a stupid game ? (me) our young pitchers is going to throw what the catcher puts down .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Orioles have claimed righty David Hale off waivers from the Rockies, Baltimore announced. Hale was exposed to waivers after being designated for assignment recently.

With the move, the O’s have added yet another piece of pitching depth. Hale will head right to Triple-A on optional assignment, and will provide an option if a need arises in the rotation or the bullpen."

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flaherty optioned for Gausman. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Send Kim packing if he isn't going to play.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gausman is dealing.

all4ripken

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flaherty optioned for Gausman. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Send Kim packing if he isn't going to play.
This whole situation is infuriating, relatively speaking. The Orioles are stuck - I think we can all agree to that fact. Right now, DD has to look like a rookie GM. Yes it's early, but thus far...

Kim is simply taking up a roster spot, riding the pine and collecting $7 million. If they're so damn worried about losing out on $7 million and determined to keep him on the 25-man, why the fuck isn't he being played? Yet you paid Alvarez less and he's barely hitting my 10-year old nephew's weight. You let your best pitcher from last year (if not more) walk, and decided to replace him with Gallardo. You see whatever you saw in the physical to take a year and $$ away on his contract, but still offer him a contract, AND HE SIGNS RIGHT AWAY ANYWAY. DD had to be desperate, knowing Gallardo was possibly worn out damaged goods (makes me think Gallardo knows too, I gotta imagine most players would be insulted by that), but he had no choice at that point...

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole situation is infuriating, relatively speaking. The Orioles are stuck - I think we can all agree to that fact. Right now, DD has to look like a rookie GM. Yes it's early, but thus far...

Kim is simply taking up a roster spot, riding the pine and collecting $7 million. If they're so damn worried about losing out on $7 million and determined to keep him on the 25-man, why the fuck isn't he being played? Yet you paid Alvarez less and he's barely hitting my 10-year old nephew's weight. You let your best pitcher from last year (if not more) walk, and decided to replace him with Gallardo. You see whatever you saw in the physical to take a year and $$ away on his contract, but still offer him a contract, AND HE SIGNS RIGHT AWAY ANYWAY. DD had to be desperate, knowing Gallardo was possibly worn out damaged goods (makes me think Gallardo knows too, I gotta imagine most players would be insulted by that), but he had no choice at that point...

I think you've pointed out the elephant in the room... seriously, send Duquette packing, because the way that he constructs the team is probably worth -10 WAR per season!

(Looks like tonight is turning into another example of the failure of the "let our hitting bail out our lack of pitching" strategy... because you'll get burned by the high variance.)

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD is running the team into the ground on purpose as a big fuck you to Angelos for not letting him take the Jays president job.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD is running the team into the ground on purpose as a big fuck you to Angelos for not letting him take the Jays president job.

While we're at it, let's escalate the conspiracy theory further: Maybe Duquette had a backroom deal with the Blue Jays, to act as a double agent for the remainder of his contract with the Orioles ("I'll spend the next 4 years destroying their organization before joining you guys in 2019")?

(/s)

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're at it, let's escalate the conspiracy theory further: Maybe Duquette had a backroom deal with the Blue Jays, to act as a double agent for the remainder of his contract with the Orioles ("I'll spend the next 4 years destroying their organization before joining you guys in 2019")?

(/s)
duke just sucks . btw 17 inn without a run .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same ole line up maybe the suck rule will work tonight . rickard had 2 good games and back struggling

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same ole line up maybe the suck rule will work tonight . rickard had 2 good games and back struggling

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion... but at what point should we consider running Buck Showalter out of town in addition to lobbying for the replacement of Dan Duquette?

(While he might be stuck with the players available in the organization, the decision of distributing playing time among the players on the 25-man roster is still in his hands-- for example, he could have chosen to bench Alvarez. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion... but at what point should we consider running Buck Showalter out of town in addition to lobbying for the replacement of Dan Duquette?

(While he might be stuck with the players available in the organization, the decision of distributing playing time among the players on the 25-man roster is still in his hands-- for example, he could have chosen to bench Alvarez. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.)

I've personally never thought much of Dan so I wouldn't have been upset if the rumors were true last offseason when he was rumored to go to Toronto. Would've loved for that to have happened.
Now trying to run Buck out of town will probably not sit too well with a lot of people. If we could just find out why all of these starters can't consistently go more than 5 innings and fix it, we'd be in great shape.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bases loaded....0 outs....can't score :L

Just hoping it's a mini slump for the offense and they'll get their act together here soon.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[T]rying to run Buck out of town will probably not sit too well with a lot of people. If we could just find out why all of these starters can't consistently go more than 5 innings and fix it, we'd be in great shape.

I'll admit that my wording was probably stronger than it needed to be... but still, it's frustrating to see the possibility that Buck's decision of who to play could make the bad situation even worse.

Then again, you could argue that the recent cold streak was mostly caused by the lack of offense as opposed to failure by the pitching staff-- just look at the sharp drop-off in team OPS over the last 7 days (0.626 as of yesterday) versus the 2016 season so far as a whole (0.792). In contrast, pitching performance has actually slightly improved recently (team ERA was 3.54 over the last 7 days, vs. 3.73 for the entire season as of yesterday).