• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Regular season thread

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you bench Reimold hitting 355 and KIm 500 plus

My theory is that they haven't done it consistently everyday. If it were me, I'd try to alternate them, unless one gets scorching hot, to get them both playing time and just keep Trumbo as DH. Or if Jones or Rickard need a day off or get hurt, you can play both.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My theory is that they haven't done it consistently everyday. If it were me, I'd try to alternate them, unless one gets scorching hot, to get them both playing time and just keep Trumbo as DH. Or if Jones or Rickard need a day off or get hurt, you can play both.

Another option to consider is pinch-hitting half way through the game so that both players in the LF platoon would get playing time on a regular basis. (Of course, the downside with this approach is that you would practically be forced to lose the DH if an outfielder gets hurt later in the game.)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even after adding veteran Wandy Rodriguez, the Orioles continue to stay in touch with righty Kyle Lohse, Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports. As we’ve heard previously, Baltimore has made an offer to Lohse but, obviously, has yet to reach agreement. It’s still not clear what the 37-year-old is prioritizing in deciding upon a club with which to attempt a bounceback, but the O’s rotation certainly seems to offer a reasonable likelihood of opportunity over the coming months.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option to consider is pinch-hitting half way through the game so that both players in the LF platoon would get playing time on a regular basis. (Of course, the downside with this approach is that you would practically be forced to lose the DH if an outfielder gets hurt later in the game.)

For the reason you said is exactly why I wouldn't do that. It's way too risky to try, especially with just a 3 man bench.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to play the hot hands. That means playing 2 hottest out of Kim, Rickard, Reimold, and Alvarez.

Based on the small sample size so far, that would call for Rickard vs. LHP and Kim vs. RHP. At the same time, Reimold would start no matter what, while Alvarez would be benched in both cases.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no sooner we speak of Kim and Alvarez they go 2 for 2 and 3 for 3 respectively:hope:

Clearly, Buck was thinking about handedness when he came up with the lineups. The actual stats from 2013-15 seem to support the theory as well:
  • OPS vs. LHP: Alvarez 0.567, Reimold 0.727, Trumbo 0.870
  • OPS vs. RHP: Alvarez 0.807, Reimold 0.646, Trumbo 0.690
For comparison, the figures in 2016 so far are 0.906 vs. LHP / 0.635 vs. RHP for Rickard, and 1.160 vs. RHP for Kim (he has zero at-bats vs. LHP so far). If you play by the numbers alone, that means Buck's actual lineups (Rickard + Reimold vs. LHP / Kim + Alvarez vs. RHP) are already optimized.

Last edited:

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh... first O'Day has a bad day, then Britton gets hurt, and then what should have been a third strike results in a run.

If I were Buck, I would argue with the umpire right there until ejected from the game... as a means to fire up the team.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got up to Baltimore for a game. This is right before the Alvarez HR 20160430_202732.jpg

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no sooner we speak of Kim and Alvarez they each go 3 for 3 :hope:
kim is still bad when someone has a good heater . pedro maybe finally be warming up . late in the game who do you want hitting in trumbo's spot reimold or rickard . rickard looked bad in rf but hey it was all wet . the double E inning made this game a little crazy gausman if not for that inning he would could have went 8 inn .

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kim is still bad when someone has a good heater . pedro maybe finally be warming up . late in the game who do you want hitting in trumbo's spot reimold or rickard . rickard looked bad in rf but hey it was all wet . the double E inning made this game a little crazy gausman if not for that inning he would could have went 8 inn .
Yep, Gausman looked like he had good stuff, but Schoop ruined it for him.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tell me how Kim is supposed to get better against MLB heaters if he gets less playing time than everyone else. Pedro has gotten numerous among numerous opportunities to get better while Kim is lucky to play once a week and is still hitting good in what limited opportunities he's been given.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...methinks that hook was 4 batters too late.

(Side note: Something really needs to be done to address the fact that this is a high-variance team... it's frustrating to see this team score more runs than its opponent over the entire series but end up with only a 2-2 split.)

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...methinks that hook was 4 batters too late.

(Side note: Something really needs to be done to address the fact that this is a high-variance team... it's frustrating to see this team score more runs than its opponent over the entire series but end up with only a 2-2 split.)

Is it bad whenever I see that Ubaldo is the starting pitcher, I figure that more than likely it's going to end up a loss and the bullpen is going to have to come in by the end of the 5th? What really irked me was that after he got lit up and yanked in the 5th, putting the game out of reach, they show him in the dugout just smiling and laughing.

PS - Am I the only one that has trouble picking from the horrible C list drivers every week? Other than Chase Elliott, the pickings are very slim. It's definitely the hardest of all the choices I have to make every week.

Last edited:

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Lincecum will hold a long-awaited throwing showcase for scouts on Friday in Scottsdale, MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports (Twitterlinks). As many as 20 teams are expected to attend, including representatives from the Orioles, Padres and the Giants, Lincecum’s former team.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it bad whenever I see that Ubaldo is the starting pitcher, I figure that more than likely it's going to end up a loss and the bullpen is going to have to come in by the end of the 5th? What really irked me was that after he got lit up and yanked in the 5th, putting the game out of reach, they show him in the dugout just smiling and laughing.

PS - Am I the only one that has trouble picking from the horrible C list drivers every week? Other than Chase Elliott, the pickings are very slim. It's definitely the hardest of all the choices I have to make every week.
Disregard the last part of this post. Somehow I got mixed up when trying to type on the NASCAR boards as well. :frusty:

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god Buck hit anyone else on this team in the 3 hole. He has the player with the lowest average on the team hitting 3. I know its Jones a former All-star but he's either hurt or in a massive slump. Rickard hasn't looked to go either. I rather see both Reimold and Kim playing the corner outfield.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god Buck hit anyone else on this team in the 3 hole. He has the player with the lowest average on the team hitting 3. I know its Jones a former All-star but he's either hurt or in a massive slump. Rickard hasn't looked to go either. I rather see both Reimold and Kim playing the corner outfield.
rickard seems to be taking his batting to the outfield . he has been piss poor the last week . Nolan is doing better than aj and rickard . if ryan doesn't start hitting put alvarez at 3rd and Nolan in the of