• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.************.com/commentary/1562-nfl-draft-49ers-fans-taken-emotional-roller-coaster/

Good read and i really liked this part..........

Baalke's affinity for injured players is bordering on just plain insanity at this point, as none of them have worked out. I guess the jury's still out on CB Keith Reaserand WR DeAndre Smelter, but RB Marcus Lattimore, FB Trey Millard, DE Tank Carradine, and G Brandon Thomas all look like mistakes. In the cases of Carradine and Thomas, those selections have actually set the team back and are a big part of the reason the team needed to redraft those positions with Buckner and Garnett.

Now I've read that Redmond might have been a late first-rounder if he wasn't injured, but he's injured. There's no guarantee he'll bounce back so it's a giant risk for a team that doesn't have the luxury of taking them anymore. The same could be said for Baalke's next selection, CB Rashard Robinson. Because of alaundry list of incidents, Robinson hasn't played since 2014, and is another big question mark.

If you were going to take an injured player that may or may not play or may or may not come back Jack or Smith would be the guys to gamble on in my opinion. As for Robinson I'm not sure what he did but to get yourself kicked off an SEC team takes a rare talent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you were going to take an injured player that may or may not play or may or may not come back Jack or Smith would be the guys to gamble on in my opinion. As for Robinson I'm not sure what he did but to get yourself kicked off an SEC team takes a rare talent.

yep, very good players are hard to kick off your team. What he did was very serious, or he wasn't THAT good, or combination thereof. Not hammering on Robinson but on Baalke for making the pick, when he made it.

Jack was a tough call because he might play and even play well. Smith was clearly an IR situation, closer to Lattimore than Carradine as far as injury.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, very good players are hard to kick off your team. What he did was very serious, or he wasn't THAT good, or combination thereof. Not hammering on Robinson but on Baalke for making the pick, when he made it.

Jack was a tough call because he might play and even play well. Smith was clearly an IR situation, closer to Lattimore than Carradine as far as injury.

I mean they wouldn't have taken Smith that high but if he had been available in the 3rd I would have taken him over another injured player in Redmond. Robinson concerns me with the off field issues I just don't have much faith that the guy will stick around.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I mean they wouldn't have taken Smith that high but if he had been available in the 3rd I would have taken him over another injured player in Redmond. Robinson concerns me with the off field issues I just don't have much faith that the guy will stick around.

Robinson is the only pick that bothers me now, we could've had Prescott or very least Dixon. Anyway, more questioning the decision, not hating Robinson.

initially, i did have a little concern with Garnett, trading up for him specifically. But the more i read, the more i see how good he is. Similar to other spots, if you REALLY believe in a player, go after him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson is the only pick that bothers me now, we could've had Prescott or very least Dixon. Anyway, more questioning the decision, not hating Robinson.

initially, i did have a little concern with Garnett, trading up for him specifically. But the more i read, the more i see how good he is. Similar to other spots, if you REALLY believe in a player, go after him.

Looking at some of the other trades I thought they gave up a lot to move a little in the draft. I do like the player so that's why I wasn't overly upset by the pick and the trade up.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.************.com/commentary/1562-nfl-draft-49ers-fans-taken-emotional-roller-coaster/

Good read and i really liked this part..........

Baalke's affinity for injured players is bordering on just plain insanity at this point, as none of them have worked out. I guess the jury's still out on CB Keith Reaserand WR DeAndre Smelter, but RB Marcus Lattimore, FB Trey Millard, DE Tank Carradine, and G Brandon Thomas all look like mistakes. In the cases of Carradine and Thomas, those selections have actually set the team back and are a big part of the reason the team needed to redraft those positions with Buckner and Garnett.

Now I've read that Redmond might have been a late first-rounder if he wasn't injured, but he's injured. There's no guarantee he'll bounce back so it's a giant risk for a team that doesn't have the luxury of taking them anymore. The same could be said for Baalke's next selection, CB Rashard Robinson. Because of alaundry list of incidents, Robinson hasn't played since 2014, and is another big question mark.

I think it is more complicated than that though. With Carradine the team had him put on a lot of weight and try and learn a new position in a defensive that isn't suited for him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is more complicated than that though. With Carradine the team had him put on a lot of weight and try and learn a new position in a defensive that isn't suited for him.

yes it was complicated for sure. Baalke spend a mid 2nd rounder on him and he spent TWO full seasons on the bench. He sat extra long because he couldn't learn the scheme, Carradine admitted this himself.

Then came the weight and wrong position. Baalke has to say positive things about all his picks, but if i had to guess now, Carradine isn't making the 53.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he does but we don't it's another wasted pick by Baalke.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers explain drafting tackles Theus and Cooper back to back in NFL draft

two OT's are ok with me, both are 5th Rounders so it won't hurt THAT much if one doesn't make it. Clearly, the O-line was horrible and Baalke addressed it. I can't help it but believe if Stanley was there with Buckner, we would've taken Stanley. If that had occurred, don't think it would've changed the trade up for Garnett. So it could've gone OT then OG.

I would even be fine if Theus and Cooper knocked out Martin and Thomas. This article says either might be ok playing inside, so we'll see? While Thomas hasn't played a snap, he's been sitting too long already, doubt his problem is still injury related.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe he does but we don't it's another wasted pick by Baalke.

and clearly why i hate his IR strategy, the hard evidence proves it doesn't work. so i'll be ok if its 5th round and later, but not prior.

i THOUGHT he did it again with Redmond, but my bad. :-)

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers explain drafting tackles Theus and Cooper back to back in NFL draft

two OT's are ok with me, both are 5th Rounders so it won't hurt THAT much if one doesn't make it. Clearly, the O-line was horrible and Baalke addressed it. I can't help it but believe if Stanley was there with Buckner, we would've taken Stanley. If that had occurred, don't think it would've changed the trade up for Garnett. So it could've gone OT then OG.

I would even be fine if Theus and Cooper knocked out Martin and Thomas. This article says either might be ok playing inside, so we'll see? While Thomas hasn't played a snap, he's been sitting too long already, doubt his problem is still injury related.

Two wasted 3rd round picks on Martin and Thomas. Martin was an early 3rd round pick #70. I hope both of these players do not make the team. I agree with you Deep that I would be fine if Theus and Cooper make the team. You would think after two years, both players would have shown some potential. Thomas was a wasted pick as Baalke loves drafting his redshirt players.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two wasted 3rd round picks on Martin and Thomas. Martin was an early 3rd round pick #70. I hope both of these players do not make the team. I agree with you Deep that I would be fine if Theus and Cooper make the team. You would think after two years, both players would have shown some potential. Thomas was a wasted pick as Baalke loves drafting his redshirt players.

Yep, wasted cause neither are even filling good back-up role(s)?!

Too bad for us but if it pans out these new guys are better, keep the best. Don't retain Martin and Thomas because of their higher draft status.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well 1 Redshirt player looking good is Smelter. They are saying he is already the best Run blocker and and best hands on the team.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well 1 Redshirt player looking good is Smelter. They are saying he is already the best Run blocker and and best hands on the team.

Well some good news at least but the state of the WR corps doesn't mean he's great it just means he's better than what they have. With the offense he ran in college he should be a good run blocker.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering what the Niners have, it's a very low bar. I hope he gets on the field. Let's see if he can beat out Patton. Wouldn't mind seeing Torrey Smith, Smelter and Ellington as possible starters.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering what the Niners have, it's a very low bar. I hope he gets on the field. Let's see if he can beat out Patton. Wouldn't mind seeing Torrey Smith, Smelter and Ellington as possible starters.
Im done with Patton. I hope that Rogers guy and White jump him.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im done with Patton. I hope that Rogers guy and White jump him.

None of our young WRs have gotten a fair shake...previous coaching staffs have done nothing but held them back and let the vets play over them out of respect of their seniority...much like the OL where Pears was just plain awful, then Tiller came in off the PS and was instantly better.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

and thats good for us, but his success still wouldn't outweight all the other failures.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and thats good for us, but his success still wouldn't outweight all the other failures.
I agree but maybe the arrow is pointing up. They also say Tank looks good in his new role.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but maybe the arrow is pointing up. They also say Tank looks good in his new role.

It almost feels like Baalke drafted players that JimTom couldn't figure out how to utilize. I think we have existing and new good talent that hasn't really been on the field.