• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he has Punt returner and kickoff return written all over him.

I agree Purguy. With that blazing speed, he will be an asset as a punt/kickoff returner, provided he has good hands, better than Kyle Williams.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers find workout warrior in seventh round with Western Kentucky CB Prince Charles Iworah
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
8:11 PM ET
A few thoughts on the San Francisco 49ers using their final pick of the draft, the 28th of the seventh round, No. 249 overall, on Prince Charles Iworah out of Western Kentucky.

My take: The Niners already had a lot of cornerbacks entering the draft so of course they drafted three more -- Mississippi State's Will Redmond, who is recovering from an ACL injury, in the third round, LSU's Rashard Robinson, who was kicked off the LSU team, and Iworah. But perhaps the most intriguing, from a measurable point of view, anyway, was Iworah, who ran a 4.32-second 40-yard dash, had 25 reps in the 225-pound bench press, had a 38.5-inch vertical jump and went 10-feet-8 inches in the broad jump. The 5-foot-9, 192-pound Iworah had four interceptions and 42 tackles in 14 games for Western Kentucky last season.

We should of got scooby

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers find workout warrior in seventh round with Western Kentucky CB Prince Charles Iworah
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
8:11 PM ET
A few thoughts on the San Francisco 49ers using their final pick of the draft, the 28th of the seventh round, No. 249 overall, on Prince Charles Iworah out of Western Kentucky.

My take: The Niners already had a lot of cornerbacks entering the draft so of course they drafted three more -- Mississippi State's Will Redmond, who is recovering from an ACL injury, in the third round, LSU's Rashard Robinson, who was kicked off the LSU team, and Iworah. But perhaps the most intriguing, from a measurable point of view, anyway, was Iworah, who ran a 4.32-second 40-yard dash, had 25 reps in the 225-pound bench press, had a 38.5-inch vertical jump and went 10-feet-8 inches in the broad jump. The 5-foot-9, 192-pound Iworah had four interceptions and 42 tackles in 14 games for Western Kentucky last season.

just reading this, how did he last to the 7th round? Because it lists 4 INT's and 42 tackles, ie some production, not just measurables. Even if his position reads "CB", don't mind this pick at all. It is similar to last year when they took BPA (Busta Andersen).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
New Offensive Linemen Have Position Versatility

Joshua Garnett, John Theus and Fahn Cooper can all line up at multiple positions for the 49ers.

Kelly said he watched film of all the players San Francisco chose, including tape on the Stanford, Georgia and Ole Miss linemen. In regards to Theus and Cooper, San Francisco's pair of fifth-round picks, Kelly said the linemen have ability to play guard and tackle.

“There’s potential there," Kelly said. "When you get to, especially the third day of the draft, the versatility becomes a huge factor.

"(If) you have the ability to play offensive tackle, or play offensive guard, or be a center-guard-type player, that’s certainly going to help your chances of making the team. ... When you get to the 46-man roster on game day and we’re only going to dress seven offensive linemen, those two backup offensive linemen, one of them has to be kind of an inside guy, one of them has to be kind of an outside guy. They’ve got to be able to be versatile in terms of playing every position across our front five.”

It also doesn't hurt that this year's line prospects have familiarity with a zone-blocking scheme, a common trait for most college linemen.

"I think a lot is made of running the zone scheme," Kelly stated. "I think every team in college football runs a zone scheme. I think it’s just a play that you run. It’s not a scheme, and it doesn’t mean that you don’t run man scheme, or gap scheme plays. I think everybody runs both. I kind of get a kick out of it when people say, ‘He’s a zone scheme guy, so he fits here.’ I mean, I think every team in the National Football League runs zone plays. Every team in the National Football League runs gap-scheme plays, and the same thing at the collegiate level.”

The key for the 49ers was identifying big men who can move.

"I think their athleticism, along with Josh (Garnett), is really kind of what we’re looking for," Kelly added. "But that’s not unlike any other team. I don’t think anybody’s going to say, ‘We want big guys that can’t move.’ That’s kind of what’s you’re looking for in terms of putting your team together, but we really like the size of those guys, especially the ones we got today.”

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By that logic, one can assume that Pears and Devey were simply better than Tiller and Brown simply because they were ahead on some depth chart and started....yet we saw drastic improvement when those two turds were flushed for others. Whether that lasts or not, is anyones guess.

The point is, nobody knows what we have in Thomas (not Martin, since A) I never mentioned him and B) we've all seen how overwhelmed he was) and I won't make any assessment against him or Baalke until his situation is fully resolved - ie he either gets cut, gets traded, gets a legit shot, etc.

If you think Thomas or Martin are capable of starting I just don't see it and that's me, the offensive line was terrible and neither of them improved it.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft went better than I thought, I would have liked to see an ILB drafted at some point. The one thing I didn't like about this draft is that they gave up a little too much in my mind to move back into the 1st. The 4th was an early round pick and the 6th I believe was earlier than their other picks. That seems like a little much to me.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think Thomas or Martin are capable of starting I just don't see it and that's me, the offensive line was terrible and neither of them improved it.

Again....Martin is irrelevant, so I don't know why you keep mentioning him. This is strictly about Brandon Thomas.

We haven't seen Thomas, period, so while it is most likely due to him being poor, there is also a possibility that he isn't even getting a chance to see what he can do. I base that on the fact that the line was dog crap for the longest time, and the previous staff didn't make any changes until the end of the season, and both Tiller and Brown were a noticeable improvement.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again....Martin is irrelevant, so I don't know why you keep mentioning him. This is strictly about Brandon Thomas.

We haven't seen Thomas, period, so while it is most likely due to him being poor, there is also a possibility that he isn't even getting a chance to see what he can do. I base that on the fact that the line was dog crap for the longest time, and the previous staff didn't make any changes until the end of the season, and both Tiller and Brown were a noticeable improvement.

unless injury kept Thomas off the field the fact that both Tiller and Brown were on the field instead of him tells me everything I need to know regardless of how long the switch took.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trade Points we won the trade. Plug in Beadles and Garnett, everyone else battles!:)

Looks like only RT is up for 'starter' battle?

But ok, these back-up battles are huge too. The swing OT is huge and now wide open, but also back-up Center is close behind.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the plan is for the line to be LT Staley, LG Beadles/Garnett, C Kilgore, RG Beadles/Garnett, RT Brown. I'm not sure that will get the job done but should be better than last year. Not sure about who the QB will throw the ball to if the line gives him any time to do so.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless injury kept Thomas off the field the fact that both Tiller and Brown were on the field instead of him tells me everything I need to know regardless of how long the switch took.

Reports out of 49ers facility last year was that Thomas couldn't handle a bull rush and was getting beaten badly in practice. I asked Matt Maiocco about it online and he said that was about right. Baalke was asked about Thomas before the draft and his reply was that Thomas is learning a new position so basically he is not ready yet. Doesn't look good right now for Thomas. Maybe the new Oline coach can do something with him.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the plan is for the line to be LT Staley, LG Beadles/Garnett, C Kilgore, RG Beadles/Garnett, RT Brown. I'm not sure that will get the job done but should be better than last year. Not sure about who the QB will throw the ball to if the line gives him any time to do so.

Getting both Pears and Devey to the bench should be an instant improvement.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure where to put this, but it talks about bubble players after the draft picks have been made. Hope Pears is really on his way out with Devey.
The post-NFL draft 49ers roster bubble

all these guys make sense as bubble players. iMO only Bethea has a chance to stick one more season.

BTW - didn't think they'd give Reid his 5th year, and there must've been a good reason why Baalke waited till after the draft. Not saying Reid is no longer good, but he wasn't playing like his rookie season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Round 4, Pick 133: Rashard Robinson, CB.

Notable players who were available:

• Kenneth Dixon, RB, Pick 134, Baltimore Ravens
  • Dak Prescott, QB, Pick 135, Dallas Cowboys
  • Devontae Booker, RB, Pick 136, Denver Broncos
  • Dean Lowry, DE, Pick 137, Green Bay Packers
  • Cardale Jones, QB, Pick 139, Buffalo Bills
  • Zack Sanchez, CB, Pick 141, Carolina Panthers

IMO this was the toughest call this draft, i would've taken Prescott.

Trading up for Garnett was tough too, but Garnett is very likely to become a GOOD player. In Robinson you get the classic boom or bust pick. I wouldn't draft a boom or bust till our 5th Rounder.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.************.com/commentary/1562-nfl-draft-49ers-fans-taken-emotional-roller-coaster/

Good read and i really liked this part..........

Baalke's affinity for injured players is bordering on just plain insanity at this point, as none of them have worked out. I guess the jury's still out on CB Keith Reaserand WR DeAndre Smelter, but RB Marcus Lattimore, FB Trey Millard, DE Tank Carradine, and G Brandon Thomas all look like mistakes. In the cases of Carradine and Thomas, those selections have actually set the team back and are a big part of the reason the team needed to redraft those positions with Buckner and Garnett.

Now I've read that Redmond might have been a late first-rounder if he wasn't injured, but he's injured. There's no guarantee he'll bounce back so it's a giant risk for a team that doesn't have the luxury of taking them anymore. The same could be said for Baalke's next selection, CB Rashard Robinson. Because of alaundry list of incidents, Robinson hasn't played since 2014, and is another big question mark.