• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NFL Draft Thread

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa whoa don't be such a Seahwaks hating clown. How dare you speak ill of who they drafted.
If anything, my bias is against Texas A&M olinemen

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS had him at #42 overall, Walterfootball had him at #38, PFF hated him so 6th round sounds right, Draftek had him at #76.

So he is a reach as a 1st rounder. Seattle has earned the benefit of the doubt but oline drafting is definitely their Achilles heel

Just how accurate have these sites been in the past? Not very is my guess. Lots of mocks had the Seahawks picking Ifedi because it seemed like they were high on him before the draft. I like Ifedi myself and think he's going to really help, along with Gilliam and Glowinski and I don't think the Seahawks are done picking OL yet either.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy watching film and speculating about how players will perform at the NFL level
That's all good, but you do realize beauty is the eye of the beholder, right?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all good, but you do realize beauty is the eye of the beholder, right?

I think its better for fans to actually watch the players film rather than regurgitating what they read on some website. A lot of these draft websites don't actually watch the players for themselves they just read what the other sites are saying and write their evals based on that. Only way to decide for yourself is to watch the film then decide if he's closer to 38 overall walter camp or 200 overall PFF.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its better for fans to actually watch the players film rather than regurgitating what they read on some website
Oh, I agree with that, but the truth is three guys can watch the same film and come out with very different opinions. For example you like J. Spriggs , yet 49er sickness and Clayton don't. I'm betting the three of you saw at least some of the same film, yet have different opinions about him. Think 49er sickness call him a workout warrior who was stiff. Just a example.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree with that, but the truth is three guys can watch the same film and come out with very different opinions. For example you like J. Spriggs , yet 49er sickness and Clayton don't. I'm betting the three of you saw at least some of the same film, yet have different opinions about him. Think 49er sickness call him a workout warrior who was stiff. Just a example.

Completely agree with this. Throw in different teams look for different qualities in the players. The OL for example...The Broncos run a ZBS so a guy with slow feet that can run people over doesn't look all that great to me. The guy that can pull clear across the entire OL and make it to the DE trying to crash down on the RB though looks incredible to me. Others will love the guy who can just smash people to the ground.

The guy you guys took. I love watching his feet. He has quick feet that sometimes even when he got beat to the edge he could still recover because he has that superior athleticism. I think this is why PFF has such a low grade on him though compared to other sites. For them they are going off of pure production up to this point. In that case Ifedi was all over the board. He would look great for 10 straight plays then get blown up for 3 straight. So if you watch those 10 plays and go "man this kid if he can get more consistent could be awesome with his superior athleticism" then you really like him. If you look at those 3 bad plays in a row though you say "if this kid is getting beat this bad in college then no way can he handle the NFL." I'm guessing other sites look at him and see a guy that could be great but needs some great coaching to make it happen.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with this. I really like Decker and the same site that was trashing Ifedi doesn't like Decker at all, either.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree with this. Throw in different teams look for different qualities in the players. The OL for example...The Broncos run a ZBS so a guy with slow feet that can run people over doesn't look all that great to me. The guy that can pull clear across the entire OL and make it to the DE trying to crash down on the RB though looks incredible to me. Others will love the guy who can just smash people to the ground.

The guy you guys took. I love watching his feet. He has quick feet that sometimes even when he got beat to the edge he could still recover because he has that superior athleticism. I think this is why PFF has such a low grade on him though compared to other sites. For them they are going off of pure production up to this point. In that case Ifedi was all over the board. He would look great for 10 straight plays then get blown up for 3 straight. So if you watch those 10 plays and go "man this kid if he can get more consistent could be awesome with his superior athleticism" then you really like him. If you look at those 3 bad plays in a row though you say "if this kid is getting beat this bad in college then no way can he handle the NFL." I'm guessing other sites look at him and see a guy that could be great but needs some great coaching to make it happen.
Think the Seahawks had a handle on the OTs that would be off the broad when their pick came. They also were going to make it a priority to upgrade the OL. Letting Okung go meant they needed a OT, I think they had already planned on Gilliam moving to LT, they layed out lots of hints from last year. They zeroed in on Ifedi as a guy that fits their system with big upside. In the past I haven't actually liked some their picks for OL, but this year, in total agreement. Time will tell if it works, but I'm excited about OL for a change.:suds:

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "workout warrior" nonsense is exactly what i'm talking about when i said people aren't watching film for themselves. Point out an actual flaw in Spriggs game and i'll give more weight to the opinion.

Take Decker for instance i liked the pick because of position, but hadn't watched much film on him because i thought Conklin/Spriggs were more likely picks. Last night i watched all the film/read all the evaluations on him i could if the Lions put him at RT and switch back to a full man power blocking scheme i think he could be really good. He can anchor, he drive blocks, he has good insticts and positions himself well to help with blitzers. On the other hand if we stick with the hybrid zone blocking scheme we were using last year i don't like his chances he is rather slow and will have a hard time with the elite strong side rushers(Watt, Miller, etc) and won't provide much at the 2nd level, also he is rather large and not that athletic so he probably would have stamina issues later in the game and on longer drives, and last he sometimes over commits on blocks giving blitzers a free path.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "workout warrior" nonsense is exactly what i'm talking about when i said people aren't watching film for themselves. Point out an actual flaw in Spriggs game and i'll give more weight to the opinion.

Take Decker for instance i liked the pick because of position, but hadn't watched much film on him because i thought Conklin/Spriggs were more likely picks. Last night i watched all the film/read all the evaluations on him i could if the Lions put him at RT and switch back to a full man power blocking scheme i think he could be really good. He can anchor, he drive blocks, he has good insticts and positions himself well to help with blitzers. On the other hand if we stick with the hybrid zone blocking scheme we were using last year i don't like his chances he is rather slow and will have a hard time with the elite strong side rushers(Watt, Miller, etc) and won't provide much at the 2nd level, also he is rather large and not that athletic so he probably would have stamina issues later in the game and on longer drives, and last he sometimes over commits on blocks giving blitzers a free path.
I like Decker as an RT in a power scheme. He'd almost have to kick inside otherwise. I think he could step in year 1 and maybe be a pro bowler.

As far as Spriggs, I didn't think he had the functional strength at all to play in the NFL without putting on weight. Him and Whitehair were the 2 olinemen I looked at that I felt were immediately too weak for a power scheme and possibly even questionable in a zone scheme without weight.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with this. I really like Decker and the same site that was trashing Ifedi doesn't like Decker at all, either.

Not similar at all other than size and they're both slow. Ifedi can't drive block to save his life

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not similar at all other than size and they're both slow. Ifedi can't drive block to save his life
Doesn't seem to have ever tried IMO. Pete talked about how college OL don't do this well, because of offenses in college spreading the game horizontally as well as vertical, with bubble passes etc. I always wanted Cable to have to teach run blocking rather then pass blocking ( as much ) for a change.
Ifedi basically just extends his arms when run blocking.:L Big dude like that should drive his guy to the frigging turf. I think Cable can and will fix that. JMO

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I gave Ifedi a B- or B prior to the trade which I bumped up to a B+.

Ifedi is the biggest risk/reward of the OT class. If his technique was sound he'd be the 1st tackle off the board. He's got perfect size/strength/athleticism that you look for in an all pro OT or OG. He's smart, stays out of off field issues, etc.

That said, his technique may be the most poor out of all the OTs. I listened to Tom Cable's press conference and Tom thinks they can correct those issues, but time will tell. If they can fix that which is no easy task then Ifedi is a steal where Seattle took him. If they cannot correct that than Ifedi will be just another body on the line which allows NFL caliber defenders to blow through towards Wilson.

I liked the pick honestly. I can see why sites like PFF ranked him low and why other sites ranked him high. I am inclined to disagree a bit more towards PFF because the shortcomings of Ifedi are football IQ, which you can coach. You can't coach size/athleticism. This has always been true in the NFL and it's why athletic freaks often get stock bumps as long as they interview well.

I really have no problem drafting a guy that has all the tools but needs the coaching/IQ improvement at a non-QB position (I feel if you don't have THOSE skills as a QB by the time you hit the NFL it's too late. Just moves too fast for what you're required to do). I have a HUGE problem taking a guy with all the techniques but is undersized or cannot compete at a physical level. Guys like Ronnie Stanley have a bit of this issue is all honesty. Not undersized so to speak, but plays under his size.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't coach size/athleticism

Look at the transformation Eddie Lacy made the off-season give a player the right motivation and he can become faster/more athletic. It remains to be seen if that will actually help his game though. I'm still not sure why the Packers drafted a big bruiser if they wanted a lean athletic back though. If you want Clinton Portis don't draft Jerome Bettis

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the transformation Eddie Lacy made the off-season give a player the right motivation and he can become faster/more athletic. It remains to be seen if that will actually help his game though. I'm still not sure why the Packers drafted a big bruiser if they wanted a lean athletic back though. If you want Clinton Portis don't draft Jerome Bettis

I thought Eddie Lacy became fatter? I don't understand.

We're not talking about weight... anyone can pack on the pounds or take them off. I'm talking about arm length/reach, height, weight/height ratio, speed, weight management in College, etc. There's a reason college still has a position labeled, "ATH" for Athlete. Guys that are raw but are so physically gifted they find a place.

Not sure I follow. Can you elaborate?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacey was 25 lbs overweight last season. He was given an ultimatum by McCarthy to slim down.