• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 NBA Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True...but, Mozgov is a finished product.

He's turning 30 this month.

Biyombo is 23.

I

True, but Mozgov is also a vet, which is something the Lakers need with all of the youth they have.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Mozgov is also a vet, which is something the Lakers need with all of the youth they have.

I'm sure you could fill out the roster with veteran players who are in their last years once the money is dried up in the market. You're really building for the future, not to win in a year or two.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, after Riley, Pop's my favorite coach.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I don't think he's worth that much, but they need a center. If he plays like he did in 14-15, then it might be okay. I don't know about Biyombo. I don't like the idea of paying a guy that much for what amounts to 1 really good playoff series.

Hibbert=Mozgov ( basically).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biyombo had a great series against the Heat and against the Cavs. So that's really two series, and that's where players are really tested. He's a solid rebounder and good defender. Given what TT is making, I'd rather go with the young guy who has room to grow as opposed to Mozgov who you already know what you're going to get with him.

The Lakers are going to have 4 guys from 19-21 years old in their starting lineup. They need a vet and Mozgov is a vet. From everything I've heard, he's a decent dude, so he should be able to help the young guys grow up. I like Biyombo better from a talent perspective, but I like Mozgov better as a steady vet for the young guys.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are going to have 4 guys from 19-21 years old in their starting lineup. They need a vet and Mozgov is a vet. From everything I've heard, he's a decent dude, so he should be able to help the young guys grow up. I like Biyombo better from a talent perspective, but I like Mozgov better as a steady vet for the young guys.

Makes sense. How do you feel about potentially getting Bazemore at that amount?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say, the perfect storm did indeed hit for the Cavs. Sure, Dan Gilbert's probably going to develop hemorrhoids once JR Smith signs his contract given that it'll likely set up around $35-$40 million extra in luxury tax payments, but shit. These contracts are ridiculous. Pays to be a free agent right now.
the only saving grace with the Smith thing is that i cant see teams that are out of it contention wise- paying him- a 31 year old with a history.....hes kinda like Whiteside in that he would do well for himself to stay in Cleveland.

The luxury tax payments will be interesting. You have to remember- there are 2 significant numbers- the salary cap line- and the tax line. Last year the salary cap was about 70 million and the luxury tax line was about 85.....so- lets just assume that stays fairly constant and the lux tax line is about 20% more than the salary cap line.

The cap this year is 94--- this the luxury tax line will likely be about 110 million. Thats an extra 25 million in luxury tax room from last year- and should encompass most of what the Cavs tax burden was last year......unless they go nuts and use their Bird Rights to bring back Mozzy and Delly and use the trade exception and just go bonkers- which doesnt really make sense since it burns any chance they have at cap room going forward on guys that didnt even play in the Finals.

The Cavs- even if they have a higher team payroll this year will pay much much less in overall costs because that lux. tax line is so much higher this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. How do you feel about potentially getting Bazemore at that amount?

I'd rather not. I liked him with the Lakers. He was one of the 1 year guys I was hoping they'd keep. He played well in the playoffs and definitely earned himself a raise. Just not sure he's earned one that big.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mozgov is better at this point. He ain't fast, but he's not Hibbert slow. I'm sure Luke can figure out a way to use him effectively.
Mozgov 2 years ago played really well.....this last year it was speculated that he came back too early from knee surgery- never really got totally right and kind of lost his confidence and his spot- combined with the emergence of TT.

He is a legit player- and going into this season i dont think many people would have been too surprised to see him get something- not that big--- but a solid contract. The Lakers must think that he is more the player he was 2 years ago - then he was this year if they are going after him like that.

I think he is sufficiently quick enough where he wont just murder you on the high pick and roll- and he is a solid rim defender....

the mother fucker needs to learn how to catch a ball and dunk it though...i swear - the fucker dropped SO many passes this year- it drove me freaking insane.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mozgov is better at this point. He ain't fast, but he's not Hibbert slow. I'm sure Luke can figure out a way to use him effectively.

For your sake and sanity I hope your right, but I def don't see the attraction for anything close to that price.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you could fill out the roster with veteran players who are in their last years once the money is dried up in the market. You're really building for the future, not to win in a year or two.

Exactly. Which is why I don't really mind the Mozgov deal. Unless they sign a big time FA or 2, this year (which clearly isn't happening) or next year, they are at least 3 years away from being in the mix. A guy like Mozgov can help with their development and his contract will be ready to come off the books right about the time the young guys are realizing their potential.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You need a veterinarian to put Buss to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.