• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can handle that one...water under the bridge already...losing the 5th rounder for a guy that's not even playing in PIT irks me more.
Did he get more than a dozen snaps even?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the other Clemson kid, Green. From what I've seen anyway. I like Bell, Green, and Cash. Cash probably has a chance to be there. I really like Bell over the rest though. His cover skills in this pass happy league could be a big get.

Green has the size and speed you want...I like the potential...Cash is slower, but I like him as welll...as mentioned the only kid that concerns me (brought in for a visit)...Kearse.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green has the size and speed you want...I like the potential...Cash is slower, but I like him as welll...as mentioned the only kid that concerns me (brought in for a visit)...Kearse.
That fifth rounder they lost might have come in handy moving up a little to grab a falling prospect.

Oh well. If I bitch enough I guess it makes me a bitch haha.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com's second round mock has Bell falling to the Steelers at 58 and them taking him.

I may have messed my pants.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not my choice, but I'm okay with the pick.

Here's why...if we think we know anything...based on them leaving Billings on the board...the back 4 was clearly the top priority. Both S connected with PIT were already off the board and 4 CBs had already come off the board, and I can imagine, at least another 3 or 4 will have come off the board before 58.

idk how much separation there is between Burns and guys like Alexander, Howard, Fuller, etc., but as mentioned, most likely all of them would have been gone at 58.

On Burns...if you've heard the real estate term this house has "good bones", meaning it has good infrastructure features like good ceiling height, big windows, etc. Burns has the goods the Steelers want...he has the length, size and most importantly...speed...they feel like they can coach him up from there.

ST player this season...depending on his development...maybe some dime work.

Just looking at the pick LY and this year...the Steelers are changing up a tad...they used to be very tape heavy...now they appear to want better athletes on DEF and not as concerned about the tape.
As usual, the more I think about it the more I feel the optimism. Still irks me that they didn't trade back though because Denver traded down for the next pick at 26, so it doesn't take much to believe they would have traded to 25.

Burns looks the part. Definitely more raw than many others, but he has one thing that most don't... And that's top end speed. I completely agree that it seems the Steelers are more interested in raw attributes than tape. So far it has treated them well so I can't argue with it. If Burns can come in and take the job from Cockrell then I will be ecstatic. I just don't think its very probable. I still have a lot of faith in Cockrell to improve his game.

I'll be on the road much of this afternoon & evening so I probably won't be around for the next couple picks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a FS/SS (Bell, Cash, Green, etc). If safeties start flying off the board then I could see them grabbing Darian Thompson (sp?) from BSU. They seem pretty deadset on going for the positions of need so they won't have a problem reaching again. Just my 2cents.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One person that we haven't talked about in a while is Sua Cravens. He's basically the same mold of Jeremy Cash. More of a box safety than a coverage guy.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of thought of Cravens as more of a linebacker than a safety. I pictured him as more of a 4-3 WLB and dime LB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual, the more I think about it the more I feel the optimism. Still irks me that they didn't trade back though because Denver traded down for the next pick at 26, so it doesn't take much to believe they would have traded to 25.

Burns looks the part. Definitely more raw than many others, but he has one thing that most don't... And that's top end speed. I completely agree that it seems the Steelers are more interested in raw attributes than tape. So far it has treated them well so I can't argue with it. If Burns can come in and take the job from Cockrell then I will be ecstatic. I just don't think its very probable. I still have a lot of faith in Cockrell to improve his game.

I'll be on the road much of this afternoon & evening so I probably won't be around for the next couple picks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a FS/SS (Bell, Cash, Green, etc). If safeties start flying off the board then I could see them grabbing Darian Thompson (sp?) from BSU. They seem pretty deadset on going for the positions of need so they won't have a problem reaching again. Just my 2cents.

You probably posted that last night...a little time to digest it helps sometimes.

DEN...maybe Bridgeburner said it, not sure, but I agree...I think the Broncos knew PIT was not taking a QB so they only needed to get ahead of KC/SF...you don't trade back in to the 1st for a G do you? I really think SF wanted Lynch...DEN saved themselves a tad by trading with the 26 slot.

CB...aside from Ramsey...I didn't expect any CB drafted to move ahead of Gay or Cockrell...maybe he's good enough to move Gay to slot, but I think Cockrell, Gay, and Golson will be the opening day starters barring an injury.

Somebody needs to make the bacon man...I didn't see the draft last night and probably won't tonight either...was watching a movie and checking my phone for updates.

I agree...if safeties start flying off, they will most likely take one @ 58...but there are some interesting names on the board that should go early and maybe keep a few S on the board...Jack, Dodd, Reed, Robinson, Spence.

We can hope...at a certain point they have to pull off S I would think and go DT

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably posted that last night...a little time to digest it helps sometimes.

DEN...maybe Bridgeburner said it, not sure, but I agree...I think the Broncos knew PIT was not taking a QB so they only needed to get ahead of KC/SF...you don't trade back in to the 1st for a G do you? I really think SF wanted Lynch...DEN saved themselves a tad by trading with the 26 slot.

CB...aside from Ramsey...I didn't expect any CB drafted to move ahead of Gay or Cockrell...maybe he's good enough to move Gay to slot, but I think Cockrell, Gay, and Golson will be the opening day starters barring an injury.

Somebody needs to make the bacon man...I didn't see the draft last night and probably won't tonight either...was watching a movie and checking my phone for updates.

I agree...if safeties start flying off, they will most likely take one @ 58...but there are some interesting names on the board that should go early and maybe keep a few S on the board...Jack, Dodd, Reed, Robinson, Spence.

We can hope...at a certain point they have to pull off S I would think and go DT

Denver had been calling teams from pick 17 (Atlanta) clear to pick 26 trying to find a trade partner. I'm almost certain they called Pittsburgh but they decided Burns is who they wanted. Essentially the Broncos knew they had to get ahead of AZ and KC and get high enough that the teams in the 2nd round couldn't trade up ahead of them to get Lynch. Seattle has said something like 5 teams were talking to them trying to trade up so my guess is Pittsburgh got just about as many calls.

Also wouldn't have probably cost any more to get pick 25 compared to pick 26. At least draft value chart shows a 3rd round pick to pick 25 would be just about equal value from pick 31.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver had been calling teams from pick 17 (Atlanta) clear to pick 26 trying to find a trade partner. I'm almost certain they called Pittsburgh but they decided Burns is who they wanted. Essentially the Broncos knew they had to get ahead of AZ and KC and get high enough that the teams in the 2nd round couldn't trade up ahead of them to get Lynch. Seattle has said something like 5 teams were talking to them trying to trade up so my guess is Pittsburgh got just about as many calls.

Also wouldn't have probably cost any more to get pick 25 compared to pick 26. At least draft value chart shows a 3rd round pick to pick 25 would be just about equal value from pick 31.

The only thing that doesn't make sense there if PIT was indeed fielding calls...why not move down? Burns would probably have been there a few picks later.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that doesn't make sense there if PIT was indeed fielding calls...why not move down? Burns would probably have been there a few picks later.

I don't disagree but like I said if Seattle is getting that many calls you know Pitt had to be getting similar action. I know the Broncos have actually come out and said they called pretty much every team from pick 17 on trying to trade up so they could get Lynch. I would guess Pitt just decided Burns was too valuable for them to move back a bit and risk losing him. I agree he probably would have been there a few picks later but we as fans never have all the info and maybe they knew of a team that liked Burns between 25 and 31.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, Pittsburgh wasn't taking a QB. But if Pittsburgh called Denver and said "We have the pick up for trade and are calling around to teams that want a QB, are you interested?", Denver might have offered the same exact trade with us instead.

But no, someone got shot out of a cannon at the podium as soon as the clock started for us.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, Pittsburgh wasn't taking a QB. But if Pittsburgh called Denver and said "We have the pick up for trade and are calling around to teams that want a QB, are you interested?", Denver might have offered the same exact trade with us instead.

But no, someone got shot out of a cannon at the podium as soon as the clock started for us.

Oh...it makes sense, but the Steelers FO is usually not that aggressive in terms of shopping a pick...I have to think any calls that were made or received happened before PIT got on the clock...I didn't see the pick live so I didn't realize they made it at warp speed.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure seems like Burns was possibly their guy all along, which inspires confidence. Or at least more so than a reach does. They didn't bring him in for a visit though did they? I think that odd based on previous SOP.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very happy with this pick! For the first time since 1997, the Steelers selected a CB round Round 1. About freaking time already! This is the first time I correctly picked our 1st rounder since David DeCastro. I am a huge Miami Hurricanes fan and was really hoping the team would select Artie Burns. And they came through! You will love him in time. He has above average height, is very fast and physical. Above all, he's a great kid and will represent the Steelers well. Great pick!

Hopefully they can draft his former college teammate over the next few days.