• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early O-Line depth preview:

C
1. Pouncey
2. Wallace
3. Chris Hubbard
4. BJ Finney
5. Quinton Schooley, UDFA N Carolina St

G
1. DeCastro
2. Foster
3. Wallace
4. Chris Hubbard
5. BJ Finney
6. Cole Manhart
7. Quinton Schooley, UDFA N Carolina St

OT
1. Gilbert
2. A-Vill
3. Harris, FA
4. Adams
5. Hawkins, 4th Rd Selection LSU

Notes:
*Pouncey's return should provide a huge boost to the run game. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
*All of the sudden they have a lot of OT's. Hawkins should push Adams out the door. I expect Gilbert & A-Vill to be the starters unless Harris wins a camp battle. I suspect Harris will be the primary backup.
*Lots of quality competition for depth positions on the inside. Wallace & Hubbard have the advantage. Position flexibility is huge for these guys battling for a roster spot.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early LB depth preview:

ROLB
1. Harrison
2. Jones
3. Moats
4. Chickillo
5. Travis Feeney, 6th Rd selection Washington
6. Tyriq McCord, UDFA Miami

LOLB
1. Dupree
2. Moats
3. Chickillo
4. Travis Feeney, 6th Rd selection Washington
5. Tyriq McCord, UDFA Miami

ILB
1. Timmons
2. Shazier
3. Williams
4. Steve Johnson, FA
5. Travis Feeney, 6th Rd selection Washington
6. Tyler Matakevich, 7th Rd selection Temple
7. LJ Fort
8. Jordan Zumwalt

Notes:
*Harrison is still not guaranteed to return, but the majority suspect he will.
*FO still has a decision to make on JJ's 5th yr option. IMO he's not worth the 5th yr $8mil option for '17. But the coaches might think differently. He's flashed a lot of potential, but his production & injuries don't match the payment.
*Don't know anything about McCord yet.
*Had a hard time figuring out where some of these guys fit since their size doesn't exactly translate to their positions they played in college. So this list will likely need a lot of adjustments. Specifically Feeney. He played OLB, but I see him filling Garvin's backup/ST role which was an ILB IIRC.
*Matakevich, Johnson & Fort are early favorites to fill Spence's void. I personally like Fort to win that job.
*Wasn't sure where to throw Z-man since his injuries have kept him from seeing much time on the field. He started off playing at OLB, but last we saw him he was experimenting on the inside. I think Chickillo's presence will force him inside. His days are numbered. He will battle with Feeney & others for Garvin's vacancy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early D-Line depth preview:

DT
1. McCullers
2. Javon Hargrave, 3rd Rd Selection N Caroline St
3. Lavon Hooks, Reserve/FA
4. Roy Philon, Reserve/FA
5. Devaunte Sigler, UDFA Jax St
6. Johnny Maxey, UDFA Mars Hill

DE
1. Heyward
2. Tuitt
3. LT Walton
4. Ricardo Mathews, FA
5. Caushad Lyons
6. Giorgio Newberry, UDFA Florida St

Notes:
*McCullers & Hargrave are in a head to head battle as of right now. Shade Tree has the experience advantage, but I think Hargrave will be the favorite. Should be an exciting battle to watch this offseason. I think they will split time in 3-4 sets, but would make a great combo in 4-3 sets. McCullers made great progress last year. Still struggles with technique, but his size makes him impossible to move.
*Didn't know much about Maxey, but recently read this: When a 6-5, 305-pound defensive tackle is coming with 4.9 speed, he going to cause some damage. Johnny Maxey Jr. of Mars Hill is massive and agile as he executed that attribute during his short shuttles. He demonstrated great footwork with the ability to get off the ball, he is surely a NFL star waiting to happen.
*Don't know anything about Hooks, Philon & Sigler.
*Walton was seen as position flexible, which will give him a slight advantage for a roster spot. Mathews has experience so he won't be a pushover. Those 2 will battle for the primary DE backup position. But if any of the DT's can make themselves pos. flexible then they will enter the discussion.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work as usual man.

As far as Jarvis Jones and the 5th year option... I'm under the impression that this is a team option and if they exercise it and he sucks this year, they aren't on the hook for anything. If that's true I think it's a no-brainer to give him the option.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early CB depth preview:

1. Gay
2. Cockrell
3. Golson
4. Grant
5. Artie Burns, 1st Rd Selection Miami
6. Isaiah Frey, Reserve/FA
7. Al-Hajj Shabazz, Reserve/FA

Notes:
*Burns will immediately battle Cockrell for time on the outside. Not sure if he will make an immediate impact, but there is a lot of optimism.
*Golson is viewed as another 2nd Rd selection this year since he was injured & redshirted his rookie season. He should be the favorite to be the nickel CB, and could see time on the outside. Coaches didn't shy away from putting Blake out there last season because of size.
*Grant is still listed as a CB even though the coaches admitted they wanted to try him at safety. Not sure if the draft changed that perspective.
*Don't know anything about Frey & Shabazz other than I believe Frey played safety in college.
*Even though Sean Davis (2nd Rd Selection) was listed as a CB on the draft card, he was drafted to play SS in PIT & is listed as such on the current roster. But it is still worth noting that he is position flexible.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early S depth preview:

1. Mitchell
2. Golden
3. Sean Davis, 2nd Rd Selection Maryland
4. Shamarko Thomas
5. Ross Ventrone
6. Jordan Dangerfield
7. Ray Vinopal
8. Jacob Hagen

Notes:
*Wasn't sure if I should split this up into FS/SS, but there isn't any competition for FS (Mitchell) so didn't see the need to.
*Golden is the early favorite to start at SS. He showed he was more than capable of being a quality starter last season when playing for the oft-injured Will Allen.
*Speaking of Will Allen, heard whispers about a possible return for him early on in the offseason. But haven't seen or heard of any substance to that discussion. Don't really see the need for it anymore now that Davis was drafted.
*Thomas, Ventrone & Dangerfield are likely career STers. I am hesitant to include Shark in that discussion, but the reality is starting to set in if it hasn't already. Ventrone is a fan favorite and a great gunner. Now that Golden is likely off ST, that opens up the spot for those 3 to battle for the spot. Davis will contribute as another ST candidate in '16. They will likely keep 2 spots at the position for ST duties. Question is, will they roster 4 or 5? Investing a 2nd Rd pick makes Davis a lock.
*Don't know anything about Vinopal or Hagen yet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early ST depth preview:

K
1. Chris Boswell
2. Shaun Suisham
3. Ty Long

P
1. Jordan Berry
2. Will Monday, UDFA Duke

LS
1. Greg Warren
2. Matt Dooley, Reserve/FA

Notes:
*Biggest discussion here has been Boswell & Suisham. Both are great kickers, but only room for 1. Boswell seems like the no-brainer. Cheaper & bigger leg. Both are accurate kickers. Suisham could be used as trade bait at some point. Don't know anything about Ty Long.
*Don't know anything about Will Monday or Matt Dooley. Always good to have camp competition though. Doubt Berry & Warren are in any danger of losing their spots.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice work as usual man.

As far as Jarvis Jones and the 5th year option... I'm under the impression that this is a team option and if they exercise it and he sucks this year, they aren't on the hook for anything. If that's true I think it's a no-brainer to give him the option.
I'm not exactly sure what it entails but I think you're right. As I understand it the $8 mil-plus fifth-year option won’t be fully guaranteed until the start of the 2017 league year. But once it is picked up the only way to get out from underneath it is by releasing JJ outright prior to that date. Taking that route would mean there would be no compensation for him as it relates to a compensatory draft pick which isn't a huge deal. Just stings losing a 1st Rd pick like that & getting nothing in return.

That route at least gives him the year to prove himself. Not picking up the option leaves the team vulnerable. In that situation if he explodes then tagging him would be worth double the 5th yr option (north of $15mil). That would suck.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats what came to my mind ,, bryant just smoked himself out of a job
Bryant definitely is an idiot. But I really hope he figures it out. That kind of talent is top 10-15 in the NFL if he can keep himself out of trouble.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early D-Line depth preview:

DT
1. McCullers
2. Javon Hargrave, 3rd Rd Selection N Caroline St
3. Lavon Hooks, Reserve/FA
4. Roy Philon, Reserve/FA
5. Devaunte Sigler, UDFA Jax St
6. Johnny Maxey, UDFA Mars Hill

DE
1. Heyward
2. Tuitt
3. LT Walton
4. Ricardo Mathews, FA
5. Caushad Lyons
6. Giorgio Newberry, UDFA Florida St

Notes:
*McCullers & Hargrave are in a head to head battle as of right now. Shade Tree has the experience advantage, but I think Hargrave will be the favorite. Should be an exciting battle to watch this offseason. I think they will split time in 3-4 sets, but would make a great combo in 4-3 sets. McCullers made great progress last year. Still struggles with technique, but his size makes him impossible to move.
*Didn't know much about Maxey, but recently read this: When a 6-5, 305-pound defensive tackle is coming with 4.9 speed, he going to cause some damage. Johnny Maxey Jr. of Mars Hill is massive and agile as he executed that attribute during his short shuttles. He demonstrated great footwork with the ability to get off the ball, he is surely a NFL star waiting to happen.
*Don't know anything about Hooks, Philon & Sigler.
*Walton was seen as position flexible, which will give him a slight advantage for a roster spot. Mathews has experience so he won't be a pushover. Those 2 will battle for the primary DE backup position. But if any of the DT's can make themselves pos. flexible then they will enter the discussion.
Adding

Tryouts:
Zack Shaw, DE Indiana

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS...great job!

I will have to go back and review in detail.

On the draft in general...not just PIT I think most teams clearly went after needs...not a whole lot of BPA type drafting...we just weren't aware of all of the names.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS...great job!

I will have to go back and review in detail.

On the draft in general...not just PIT I think most teams clearly went after needs...not a whole lot of BPA type drafting...we just weren't aware of all of the names.
Exactly. I posted a good writeup in the NFL general thread about it. But for a contender like PIT they weren't really in dire need of day 1 starters. That's what happens when you are at or close to the peak. Allows you to draft for the future based more off raw athleticism instead of college production.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers added 10 UDFA from PFT:

A little surprised Newberry went undrafted...imo he has a chance to make the 53...Walton needs to bring his A game to keep his roster spot.

Noted...no OG in this UDFA grouping.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early QB depth preview:

1. Roethlisberger
2. Unsigned?
3. Landry Jones
4. Dustin Vaughan

Tryouts:
Jacob Huesman, Chattanooga

Notes:
Lot of talk about Gradkowski making another return for the QB2 spot. Don't know much of anything about Vaughan & Huesman.

Kind of expected given no QB was drafted...Gradk was resigned to a 1 yr deal...the question now is does he regain the QB2 spot over Landry.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early RB depth preview:

1. Bell
2. D-Will
3. F. Toussaint
4. Rajion Neal
5. Daryl Richardson
6. Abou Toure
7. Christian Powell, UDFA Colorado

Notes:
*Positions 3-7 aren't set in stone. Plenty of competition for the spot.
*Richardson & Toussaint are the only backups with any real NFL experience. Neal & Toure only have preseason experience.
*Need to do some research on Powell. Haven't heard much of anything yet.

Even though Idk much about 3-7, I'm pretty comfortable with this group...would be nice to see Toussaint make it and get redemption, but gotta compete!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of expected given no QB was drafted...Gradk was resigned to a 1 yr deal...the question now is does he regain the QB2 spot over Landry.
Definitely will be a debate all offseason. I expect much of the same as the previous 2 years throughout camps.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early WR depth preview:

1. AB
2. Wheaton
3. DHB
4. Coates
5. Demarcus Ayers, 6th Rd selection, Houston.
6. Eli Rogers
7. Shakim Phillips
8. Levi Norwood
9. Tobias Palmer
10. Issac Blakeney
11. Canaan Severin, UDFA Virginia

Notes:
*Obviously didn't put Bryant in because his spot won't be reflected in the '16 season.
*Plenty of competition for WR5 spot, and arguably WR4. I think Coates will split time with DHB for WR3 (Bryant's spot) duties. Doubt Tomlin & Haley will put Wheaton on the outside like a lot of people are expecting with Bryant being suspended. Wheaton is better suited for the slot.
*Rogers is a hard worker and probably an early favorite to make the team. He will likely battle Ayers for return & slot duties.
*Phillips flashed a lot of potential last preseason so he will be a name to watch.
*Don't know anything about Norwood, Palmer & Blakeney.
*As stated previously (see posts #291 & #293), this kid has great potential.

The Steelers do know how to develop WRs so if Coates has been paying attention and working on his craft...he should be a factor this season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though Idk much about 3-7, I'm pretty comfortable with this group...would be nice to see Toussaint make it and get redemption, but gotta compete!
Toussaint seems to possess the better all-around talent out of the group. The rest are either bruisers (Toure @6'2" 230+ & Powell @6' 236) or scat-backs (Neal & Richardson)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early TE depth preview:

1. Green, FA
2. Spaeth
3. James
4. Xavier Grimble
5. David “D.J.” Reeves, UDFA Duke
6. Jay Rome, UDFA Georgia

Notes:
*Really like the Green acquisition. Not sure if he's a true TE, but more of a hybrid WR type. Regardless, he should soften the blow of losing Bryant for the season. Should be a fun player to watch this season.
*Not sure that I see much competition for roster spots this season. James & Spaeth are almost guaranteed locks. But with W-Johnson departing it could open up a TE4 roster spot. Regardless, PS spots will be important for this position with Spaeth's future in question.
*This position always seems to get ravaged by injuries during camp. So the more bodies the better lol.

Right now I LOVE the TE mix...Green is the type player I've wanted opposite Heath for a long time...now with Miller retired, they make the move to get a deep seam threat, hopefully he has enough blocking where they don't have to telegraph everything with Spaeth...maybe we see some two TE sets in the RZ to really make DCs put in OT to defend.

As you said, Spaeth is also nearing the end and true blocking TE is still a need...we'll have to see who steps up.