• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like last year... Use this thread to talk about draft prospects, post your player wish lists, mock drafts etc. For those that don't follow college football then this is a good place to learn about players entering the draft.

Current picks (5 total):
1st Rd (25th overall)
2nd Rd
3rd Rd
4th Rd
7th Rd

They traded away their 5th & 6th for Scobee & Boykin. Might receive a 6th or 7th comp pick for McCain.

Here is a quick rundown of the needs (feel free to add more):

S: Mitchell appears to be the only starter. Others rostered are: Golden, S. Thomas, Ventrone, & Dangerfield. Golden proved to be a capable starter, but his ceiling is apparent and they could upgrade over that. Thomas has lost his coaches trust. As Tomlin put it, his "above the neck" talent is lacking. The awareness & reaction skills are severely lacking. I think he's destined to be a STer. Ventrone & Dangerfield are nothing more than STers. Will Allen tried to retire last offseason but returned for 1 year by the personal request of Tomlin. Doubt he will give it another go.

CB: Almost all of the '15 squad are free agents. Cockrell was already resigned to a no-brainer RFA contract. That leaves Cortez Allen, Golsen & Grant as the only other CB's on the roster. Yikes. Big Play Willie Gay is a UFA. I have hopes that he will return for a reasonable price. Lots of question marks, but having Gay back in the fold would be a huge boost.

DT/DE: McLendon is a UFA. We've discussed it before, but he is going to be asking for more than he's worth. He's a great player, but for someone that sees the field less than 30% of the snaps... Why pay him like a full-time starter? Heyward & Tuitt are the moneymakers, and rightfully so. They played >90% snaps of almost every game. Which can be seen as a problem when they are clearly gassed late in the 4th. They have young players UC: McCullers, Walton, & Lyons. McCullers is still progressing and is slowly gaining the trust of his coaches. Walton had a great offseason & preseason LY, but will he continue to progress? They have options, but they need to get Heyward & Tuitt more rest throughout the game.

OT/OG:
Beachum & Foster are UFA's. Hopefully they can retain one of them. Luckily for them they have good backing options. AVill proved more than capable, and Wallace can play inside. Beachum got an offer last offseason, but decided to challenge for more. He gambled and lost because of the injury. Question is, what's his price now? I like the idea of retaining Beach and moving him inside. AVill can be a monster if he continues to progress. And we know what Beach brings to the table. DeCastro is UC, but currently sitting at a $8mil cap hit on his 5th yr option. They will likely extend his contract to lower that. Wallace & Hubbard are UC through '16. Both are solid spot starters. Not sure if Adams is still UC? There are concerns about losing the FA's, but it's good to know they have solid options in place.

ROLB: Will Deebo return for another season? I think so. But the case could be made that JJ & Moats aren't long term answers. Will they look to bring in more talent? If Deebo returns then probably not. Still a position to think about the future with. Dupree is rock solid on the left side.

TE: Miller and Spaeth are UC, long in the tooth, but still capable. Jesse James still has a lot of areas to improve on, but he showed good promise. That still leaves a future need if both Miller & Spaeth retire next offseason.

QB:
There are always those for & against this. But its not about Ben declining, its about giving a prospect the highest chance to succeed. Ben has probably 3-4 more solid years left, maybe less if his injury issues keep up. Why not get a promising talent under his wings for the next few years? Landry isn't going to fill those shoes. He's got career backup written all over him. Some want to let Ben play until he can't anymore, then go the down-year route and get a top end draft pick. Risky at best. I'd much rather invest for the future. Currently the team doesn't have a QB3. Not sure how they feel about bringing Gradkowski or Vick back. I'd lean more on Bruce if I had to choose. But Landry has established himself as a pretty decent QB2. QB3 is up in the air.

DISCUSS!!!

Last edited:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ordered the positions above according to need. Some of us have discussed it previously, but the prospects entering this draft point towards the Steelers going BPA or moving up/down. There is arguably only 2-3 clear 1st round DBs in the draft. None of which are safeties. There are a few safeties that may move up though. Still, if the talent available at those positions don't equal the talent available at others, then its BPA all the way.

ATL brought up a solid point. Moving back to pick up an extra 2nd & 3rd round pick would be highly beneficial. The team currently has 5 picks total in this year's draft. Rounds 1-4 & 7. They traded away their 5th & 6th (Boykin & Scobee). There is a possibility that they pick up a comp pick for losing McCain last offseason.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start Face.

The reported overall top 4 picks

3 picks within the top 100....the trade back idea I actually saw online and thought the guy made a lot of sense. If 25 overall can garner an extra 2nd & 3rd or even 2nd and 4th....if they can add 2 more picks within the top 100 it might pay to let someone trying to get back into the bottom of the 1st round.

Chiming in on a few positions.

CB...this obviously is one of the key areas of need.

Cortez Allen...27, '16 CH...$5.7 mil...3 more years on his deal...this guy was supposed to be CB1...the talent is there...supposedly, but poor play, multiple benchings, injuries have plagued him every since he got the big contract...most people are counting the days until Allen is released. I just don't see a way for them to keep him, but I expect Tomlin to at least see what kind of health he comes into camp with.

Golson...22, '16 CH...$900k...drafted 2nd rd and many thought he was going to see a fair amount of time in the slot as a rookie, but was lost to IR with a shoulder in camp...they are counting on him picking up where he left off...I expect him to be CB3 playing inside.

Ross Cockrell...24...CH est. $600k...released from the Bills after spending his rookie yr there. Tomlin had interest in this guy in the draft, but he was taken before they could get him...claimed off waivers right before the season...Cockrell proved to be a steady performer and will certainly be retained. With his RFA status he basically has to take the NFL minimum. He will likely be the opening day starter outside.

Grant...23...'16 CH $525k...The second of two CBs drafted last yr...taken in the 4th round, actually was waived a roster spot and resigned, thus only on a two-yr deal. The word is coming out that Grant will be moved to SS.

Free agents...Gay...31...'16 CH...???...possibly the biggest FA the Steelers will entertain....given that he's outperformed the deal he was playing under... I expect him to get an offer in the 3/4 yr $9/412 mil range.

Blake...25...'16 CH...??? the guy every Steeler fan hates to see on the field, but the opposing OC loves...truth be told, Blake can make plays at this level, but he's not a starting caliber outside defender...as a CB4 I'd like to have him back, but has to be a cap friendly deal.

Boykin...25...'16 CH...???...apparently Tomlin has like this guy for some time and when Golson was lost for the season he was signed costing a draft pick. Sort of a strange situation that he was largely forgotten on the bench while teams were toasting Blake on the regular. He finally gets his chance near the end of the season...decent game...imo better than Blake. I'd like to have Boykin and Golson inside, but no way will he accept a CB4 role.

So...what can we expect...imo Cockrell and Gay outside and Golson in the slot...outside of that, I'm not sure. I'm on record liking the ViTech kid, Kendall Fuller. He is coming off a season ending knee injury which some think will push his draft stock into the 2nd round. I see Walter football has mocked Artie Burns, MIA in the 2nd or 3rd...I could go either way...I don't expect a draft pick to start but I would feel better with a back up considering Grant may be moved to SS.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft movement... Yea I think the move makes a lot of sense at the moment. But it really all hinges on what we talked about in your FA thread. If Kahn & Colbert can work their cap magic and retain most of these FA's while reducing CH's then trading picks wouldn't be as beneficial. In that scenario they would only be looking for 1-2 plug & play guys for the secondary, whether that be in the draft or FA. All the other positions of need would be for depth. The 6 picks they are likely getting in the draft will fit that bill. And I really do think they are going to shop Suisham for another pick.

CB... I agree. They need at least 1 more guy. I like Cockrell & Gay on the outside. But in reality I think Butler & Lake are going to stick with the rotation if they have the headcount. Tomlin will certainly push for it since he was very vocal about how much he liked it. That would be a good selling point on retaining Boykin. Like you said, he doesn't want to be a CB4. But if they can convince him he'll be playing 50-70% of snaps in the same rotation as LY, then he might bite.

Kendall Fuller... I'm interested to read more about this kid. I've been seeing his name pop up everywhere so if you want to, it would be cool to see a full post about him? We could start doing what we did last year with the personal reviews & an analyst's review on an individual player. Found that was the best way to learn about the prospects entering the draft.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hi-res-a38792bf9f90721855358d1aaffa2998_crop_north.jpg

Eli Apple, CB OSU
6'1" 200 lbs
40 time: 4.4's-4.5's

NFL summary:
STRENGTHS
Good height, weight and arm length combination. Clean footwork in transition with natural ability to mirror and match from press coverage. Won’t open hips early and rarely turned around off line of scrimmage. Has foot quickness in short spaces to maintain feel for his man. Extremely competitive when ball is in the air. Has play strength to redirect receivers from their routes. Aggressive hands in coverage and fights hard to disrupt the catch by any means necessary. Finished with 22 passes defensed over last two years. Scouts praise him for work ethic and technical improvement over last two years. Will come downhill against run and is diligent with contain responsibilities.
WEAKNESSES
Can be slow to diagnose and anticipate quarterback’s plans. Average reactive athleticism. Doesn’t feature the balance or twitch to rocket forward and challenge throws if he’s not shadowing his man. Won’t always play to his size as a tackler. Dragged 18 yards after a catch against Penn State. Shows some stiffness as an open field tackler and allowed four broken tackles this season. Slow to turn head and find ball on deep throws. Becomes Mr. Grabs if he senses receiver is getting over the top of him or when he’s trying to crowd the top of routes. Had four holding and seven pass interference penalties from 2014-2015.

Been reading a lot about Eli Apple recently since he has been one of the most talked about on other boards. He has the size that you look for, and he seems to be a decent playmaker. But what concerns me most after reading his weaknesses, he sounds exactly like Cortez Allen. "Slow to turn head & find ball... Mr Grabs..." etc. I know you shouldn't get caught up in analyst-fed "weaknesses" because almost everything can be coached. Problem with his weaknesses though is that most of them are "above the neck" issues which are pretty damning for DBs transitioning to the NFL. I'd have a lot of concerns over drafting someone like this, especially if PIT spent a 1st rounder on him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that idea of the individual profiles...very cool for us that are not heavy into CFB to get to know these guys before the draft.

I'll go back to the FA thread for some other thoughts, but 2 more names we can throw into the CB profiles...Kendall Fuller from Vitech as we've mentioned. Artie Burns, MIA...I picked up from the Walter mock.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that idea of the individual profiles...very cool for us that are not heavy into CFB to get to know these guys before the draft.

I'll go back to the FA thread for some other thoughts, but 2 more names we can throw into the CB profiles...Kendall Fuller from Vitech as we've mentioned. Artie Burns, MIA...I picked up from the Walter mock.
Agreed. Hopefully more people can chime in with us this year. Did you want me to post about Fuller, or were you going to tackle it? Haven't really read much about him so I don't have an opinion yet. I was curious to hear more about your's!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Hopefully more people can chime in with us this year. Did you want me to post about Fuller, or were you going to tackle it? Haven't really read much about him so I don't have an opinion yet. I was curious to hear more about your's!

I'll take a stab at it....cut n paste job I hope. Yes, I do have an opinion on him...limited times seeing him, but it's hard to really judge a CB playing GA Tech...heck the McKenzie kid CLEM I saw play Tech and never heard his named called.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kendall-fuller-of-the-virginia-tech-hokies-returns-an-interception-in-picture-id181964777.jpg
Kendall Fuller’s Info
College:
Virginia Tech
Class: 2017
Hometown: Baltimore, MD
Height: 6’0″
Weight: 197
Position: Cornerback
Position Ranking: 3
40 Time: 4.48

Strengths
  • Perfect size for an NFL corner.
  • Insane athlete.
  • Fluid hip and is able to turn easily with receivers.
  • Very good in press coverage.
  • Great in all man-to-man and zone defense.
  • Excellent football IQ.
  • Can play multiple cornerback spots.
  • Solid footwork.
Weaknesses
  • Needs to add strength.
  • Not a ball hawk.
  • Needs to work on turning his head when the ball is in the air. This has resulted in pass interference calls.
  • Needs to work on finishing his tackles.
Kendall Fuller’s Pro Comparison
Kendall Fuller’s Draft Projection
  • Top 15

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cut this from...
Kendall Fuller Scouting Report - Fueled by Sports

If you take the link, scroll down and you can see his highlight video.

My take...I've only seen him play a couple of times recently, one against Tech which is not a good tape to watch. He has the measureables you want in a outside CB...not stiff thru the hips, he can mirror routes well. Two older brothers play/played the same position in the NFL, Kyle is with the Bears...that seem to make a difference with Desmond Trufaint here in ATL. Seem to know how to handle pro football quicker...more mature.

I think he has the temperament to play the position, won't go into a shell if beaten for 6....the weakness imo are all things that can be coached up....the injury is going to knock him out of the top 15 for certain...maybe top of the 2nd...probably not in range to get him to be honest, but a name to see if he's brought in for a visit.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like last year... Use this thread to talk about draft prospects, post your player wish lists, mock drafts etc. For those that don't follow college football then this is a good place to learn about players entering the draft.

Current picks (5 total):
1st Rd (25th overall)
2nd Rd
3rd Rd
4th Rd
7th Rd

They traded away their 5th & 6th for Scobee & Boykin. Might receive a 6th or 7th comp pick for McCain.

Here is a quick rundown of the needs (feel free to add more):

S: Mitchell appears to be the only starter. Others rostered are: Golden, S. Thomas, Ventrone, & Dangerfield. Golden proved to be a capable starter, but his ceiling is apparent and they could upgrade over that. Thomas has lost his coaches trust. As Tomlin put it, his "above the neck" talent is lacking. The awareness & reaction skills are severely lacking. I think he's destined to be a STer. Ventrone & Dangerfield are nothing more than STers. Will Allen tried to retire last offseason but returned for 1 year by the personal request of Tomlin. Doubt he will give it another go.

CB: Almost all of the '15 squad are free agents. Cockrell was already resigned to a no-brainer RFA contract. That leaves Cortez Allen, Golsen & Grant as the only other CB's on the roster. Yikes. Big Play Willie Gay is a UFA. I have hopes that he will return for a reasonable price. Lots of question marks, but having Gay back in the fold would be a huge boost.

DT/DE: McLendon is a UFA. We've discussed it before, but he is going to be asking for more than he's worth. He's a great player, but for someone that sees the field less than 30% of the snaps... Why pay him like a full-time starter? Heyward & Tuitt are the moneymakers, and rightfully so. They played >90% snaps of almost every game. Which can be seen as a problem when they are clearly gassed late in the 4th. They have young players UC: McCullers, Walton, & Lyons. McCullers is still progressing and is slowly gaining the trust of his coaches. Walton had a great offseason & preseason LY, but will he continue to progress? They have options, but they need to get Heyward & Tuitt more rest throughout the game.

OT/OG:
Beachum & Foster are UFA's. Hopefully they can retain one of them. Luckily for them they have good backing options. AVill proved more than capable, and Wallace can play inside. Beachum got an offer last offseason, but decided to challenge for more. He gambled and lost because of the injury. Question is, what's his price now? I like the idea of retaining Beach and moving him inside. AVill can be a monster if he continues to progress. And we know what Beach brings to the table. DeCastro is UC, but currently sitting at a $8mil cap hit on his 5th yr option. They will likely extend his contract to lower that. Wallace & Hubbard are UC through '16. Both are solid spot starters. Not sure if Adams is still UC? There are concerns about losing the FA's, but it's good to know they have solid options in place.

ROLB: Will Deebo return for another season? I think so. But the case could be made that JJ & Moats aren't long term answers. Will they look to bring in more talent? If Deebo returns then probably not. Still a position to think about the future with. Dupree is rock solid on the left side.

TE: Miller and Spaeth are UC, long in the tooth, but still capable. Jesse James still has a lot of areas to improve on, but he showed good promise. That still leaves a future need if both Miller & Spaeth retire next offseason.

QB:
There are always those for & against this. But its not about Ben declining, its about giving a prospect the highest chance to succeed. Ben has probably 3-4 more solid years left, maybe less if his injury issues keep up. Why not get a promising talent under his wings for the next few years? Landry isn't going to fill those shoes. He's got career backup written all over him. Some want to let Ben play until he can't anymore, then go the down-year route and get a top end draft pick. Risky at best. I'd much rather invest for the future. Currently the team doesn't have a QB3. Not sure how they feel about bringing Gradkowski or Vick back. I'd lean more on Bruce if I had to choose. But Landry has established himself as a pretty decent QB2. QB3 is up in the air.

DISCUSS!!!
awesome, just awesome wright up until i read that landry is a decent back up

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome, just awesome wright up until i read that landry is a decent back up
We get into this conversation every offseason lol... Last year it was about Gradkowski, now I fear this year will be about Landry.

I think he can do the job, but I will say I have less confidence in Landry than I did Bruce.

Bring it on SP! :heh:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get into this conversation every offseason lol... Last year it was about Gradkowski, now I fear this year will be about Landry.

I think he can do the job, but I will say I have less confidence in Landry than I did Bruce.

Bring it on SP! :heh:
one good game aside, just sell me on anything landry did, they brought in vick because he sucked, they brought in a 1/2 armed ben because he sucks, theres nothing good or mediocre about him

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna watch from outside the ring....lol

jus my .02...He did okay but he doesn't have the firepower to overcome turnovers so you can't make them and win games...There are reports the Steelers have interest in the kid from So. Cal.

My theory on the 3 QB roster...starter, backup, mobile/duel threat guy.

Sometimes you get the perfect storm and the mobile guy is like Cam and he is the starter. imo having a guy that can be part of the game plan at times because he can run and throw to me is better use of the QB3 spot. ...GL, RZ, a wrinkle, but more calculated.

This is why I think Johnny Manziel will keep a helmet...if he could stay out of the news...could be a good #2 somewhere.

In either case...Tomlin doesn't seem to be set on Landry as QB2...we should expect to see some competition for the job.

Carry on...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna watch from outside the ring....lol

jus my .02...He did okay but he doesn't have the firepower to overcome turnovers so you can't make them and win games...There are reports the Steelers have interest in the kid from So. Cal.

My theory on the 3 QB roster...starter, backup, mobile/duel threat guy.

Sometimes you get the perfect storm and the mobile guy is like Cam and he is the starter. imo having a guy that can be part of the game plan at times because he can run and throw to me is better use of the QB3 spot. ...GL, RZ, a wrinkle, but more calculated.

This is why I think Johnny Manziel will keep a helmet...if he could stay out of the news...could be a good #2 somewhere.

In either case...Tomlin doesn't seem to be set on Landry as QB2...we should expect to see some competition for the job.

Carry on...

Bingo, and theres a reason for that

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo, and theres a reason for that

I'm too lazy to grap the link, but they talked to him at the SR bowl I want to say...what research I did...not a real big guy, 6-1ish, pro style sys, but very few turnovers, 3 yr starter...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm too lazy to grap the link, but they talked to him at the SR bowl I want to say...what research I did...not a real big guy, 6-1ish, pro style sys, but very few turnovers, 3 yr starter...
wait who? landry>?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he's projected as a 6th or 7th round pick and we don't have a 6th that means either we draft him in the 5th which is too high IMO or 7th as a developmental. I would be OK with grabbing him in the 7th if he's still there. But I wonder if some team will grab him in the 6th if he show anything at the combine and/or his pro-day???

I didn't think we had a 5th....thought 5th & 6 were involved in the trades for kicker who got hurt maybe forgot, and Boykin. The comp should give them two 7ths.

If he has a good combine..meetings, I would invest a 5th, but doubt he lasts til the 7th.