• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 91186

Miles Killebrew, SS Southern Utah
6'1" 219 lbs.

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Tightly bundled muscle hammer with a compact frame and the thighs of a track sprinter. World-class form tackler with bad intentions behind his strikes. Patient and willing to wait until he's in proper range before exploding with everything he has into his victim. Confident around the line of scrimmage and uses aggressive hands to keep himself clean. Will not flinch in the face of contact and has the frame to be considered as a hybrid linebacker on the pro level. Relied upon to line secondary up and get defense situated.
WEAKNESSES
Instincts are very average. Needs to see it first and then can be a step slow to respond. Doesn't anticipate run direction as well as he needs to. Lack of instincts hinders range in coverage. Has a tendency to eyeball quarterback and lose track of route development around him. Has a verified 4.43 time from the spring in the 40-yard dash, but play speed doesn't always match that. Could be limited to box duties.
NFL COMPARISON Deone Bucannon

I just stumbled upon this kid's highlight reel and fell in love with him. I'm a big fan of these Kam Chancellor-style safeties, and this kid has the ability to be that for the Steelers. He's a sure tackler and big hitter. Apparently his coverage ability needs to be improved. We don't have much use for a hybrid ILB as it stands, so he would need to improve in coverage and play safety. We do already have Mike Mitchell, who is a good tackler and big hitter. So this guy may not make much sense for us. He's projected to go as early as the 2nd round. I personally love the idea of Mitchell and this kid forming a really explosive safety combo.
Good post old1r1sh! :suds:

What's his early projection lookin like? 2nd or 3rd round?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to NFL.com, he's projected 2nd or 3rd.
Same as a player that I've had my heart set on, Jeremy Cash... But this Killebrew kid looks like an upgrade in the speed department. Almost identical writeups.

And sorry for the stupid question. I just realized you wrote his projection in your own summary. :L My bad

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same as a player that I've had my heart set on, Jeremy Cash... But this Killebrew kid looks like an upgrade in the speed department. Almost identical writeups.

And sorry for the stupid question. I just realized you wrote his projection in your own summary. :L My bad
His combine performance will likely determine if we have a chance at him. He definitely isn't worth a 1st rounder. If he manages to fall to us in the 3rd round it would be a steal. I still think trading down from our 1st pick makes a lot of sense, so maybe we can get into a spot that fits his value more. Possibly a high 3rd?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His combine performance will likely determine if we have a chance at him. He definitely isn't worth a 1st rounder. If he manages to fall to us in the 3rd round it would be a steal. I still think trading down from our 1st pick makes a lot of sense, so maybe we can get into a spot that fits his value more. Possibly a high 3rd?
Yea I'm definitely all for trading down. If they can get a 2nd & 3rd round pick out of the deal then its a homerun in my book. With the amount of secondary options that are projected in the 2nd-3rd rounds it would be a match made in heaven. I still believe they could easily grab a top notch S in the 2nd if they didn't pull it off though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hqdefault.jpg

Jeremy Cash, SS Duke
6'1" 212 lbs
40 time: 4.4's-4.6's (hasn't clocked an official time in 2 seasons)
Rd Projection: 2

*ACC's Defensive Player of the Year in 2015

(Hear the comparison to Polamalu around the 2:15 mark?)

NFL summary:
STRENGTHS
Very big and very physical. All about it every time he steps inside the box. Eye-popping impact tackle production with 33 of his 98 tackles in 2015 coming for gains of two yards or less. Finished with 326 tackles and seven forced fumbles over last three years. Long arms and big hands for the position. Looks like a small linebacker on the hoof. Comes diving off the edge to upend running backs before they hit the crease. Plays with big closing burst when he smells blood. Runs through targets with force and can separate receivers from the catch. Brings the fight to FBs and move TEs who try to come at him. Rabid run-supporter when he's in attack mode.
WEAKNESSES
Will struggle in space if asked to match up in man coverage. Plays with tight, stiff hips that limit sudden movements and change of direction. Can't flip hips and accelerate without intensive labor. Slow to drop into zone coverage with proper depth from line of scrimmage. Allows receivers to consistently uncover at the top of their routes. Will have to be protected in coverage. Scheme-limited. Had surgery this season for a broken wrist and will need to pass medical tests.

NFL COMPARISON: TJ Ward

His summaries speak for themselves. I've really liked this kid for a while and have thought he would make a great addition. Like old1r1sh said, it would be awesome to see an imposing duo of someone like Cash or Killebrew with Mike Mitchell. A great set of safeties will always make the CB's job easier. I noticed from Cash's tape that he only struggles in space when he was lined up in the box and asked to do press coverage. That is something he will rarely, if ever at all, be asked to do in this system. The stiff hips comment is directly related to that. He has zero problems with E to W movements, just the 180 transition from the backpedal. Which again, he won't be tasked with. Overall he's a helluva athlete and he has a great nose for the ball. Doubt the Steelers have a chance at him unless they reach in the 1st or trade down. But I'd welcome this kid with open arms.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 91237

Jeremy Cash, SS Duke
6'1" 212 lbs
40 time: 4.4's-4.6's (hasn't clocked an official time in 2 seasons)
Rd Projection: 2

*ACC's Defensive Player of the Year in 2015

(Hear the comparison to Polamalu around the 2:15 mark?)

NFL summary:
STRENGTHS
Very big and very physical. All about it every time he steps inside the box. Eye-popping impact tackle production with 33 of his 98 tackles in 2015 coming for gains of two yards or less. Finished with 326 tackles and seven forced fumbles over last three years. Long arms and big hands for the position. Looks like a small linebacker on the hoof. Comes diving off the edge to upend running backs before they hit the crease. Plays with big closing burst when he smells blood. Runs through targets with force and can separate receivers from the catch. Brings the fight to FBs and move TEs who try to come at him. Rabid run-supporter when he's in attack mode.
WEAKNESSES
Will struggle in space if asked to match up in man coverage. Plays with tight, stiff hips that limit sudden movements and change of direction. Can't flip hips and accelerate without intensive labor. Slow to drop into zone coverage with proper depth from line of scrimmage. Allows receivers to consistently uncover at the top of their routes. Will have to be protected in coverage. Scheme-limited. Had surgery this season for a broken wrist and will need to pass medical tests.

NFL COMPARISON: TJ Ward

His summaries speak for themselves. I've really liked this kid for a while and have thought he would make a great addition. Like old1r1sh said, it would be awesome to see an imposing duo of someone like Cash or Killebrew with Mike Mitchell. A great set of safeties will always make the CB's job easier. I noticed from Cash's tape that he only struggles in space when he was lined up in the box and asked to do press coverage. That is something he will rarely, if ever at all, be asked to do in this system. The stiff hips comment is directly related to that. He has zero problems with E to W movements, just the 180 transition from the backpedal. Which again, he won't be tasked with. Overall he's a helluva athlete and he has a great nose for the ball. Doubt the Steelers have a chance at him unless they reach in the 1st or trade down. But I'd welcome this kid with open arms.
I think this kid is a more pure safety, which bodes well for us. He does remind me of Polamalu. He seems to be better in coverage, and he played in a much more difficult conference than Killebrew. Either way, safety in the 2nd round seems to make sense.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this kid is a more pure safety, which bodes well for us. He does remind me of Polamalu. He seems to be better in coverage, and he played in a much more difficult conference than Killebrew. Either way, safety in the 2nd round seems to make sense.
I just really like the way he plays in the box. Aggressive and is an animal in run support. They could keep either him or Mitchell back. Both seem very versatile. Gives Butler more options to disguise coverages.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just really like the way he plays in the box. Aggressive and is an animal in run support. They could keep either him or Mitchell back. Both seem very versatile. Gives Butler more options to disguise coverages.
The most Polamalu-esque player I've seen in this class is Su'a Cravens out of USC. That's not just because of the school he went to, but his aggressiveness in the box is wild. He might be converting full-time to linebacker though.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most Polamalu-esque player I've seen in this class is Su'a Cravens out of USC. That's not just because of the school he went to, but his aggressiveness in the box is wild. He might be converting full-time to linebacker though.
Yea he's another kid that could easily fit the role. I really like him as well.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the secondary, what do we need? I know TE might be a need, but I don't think we need to reach for one like Hunter Henry. Box depth is always important. We might need to get Cam and Tuitt some help. What else?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am liking Fuller more and more as well. But what worries me is running into another Golson-like redshirt season if Fuller isn't healthy enough. If they cannot retain Gay then they will need Fuller to be ready day 1.

Or dare I say it... They resign Blake if things don't go well with Gay. :gaah:
Fuller had a torn meniscus. I would assume he is 100% ready to go right now (6 months before the season) and shouldn't have any residual effects. Turf toe injuries are harder to recoup from than a meniscus.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of the secondary, what do we need? I know TE might be a need, but I don't think we need to reach for one like Hunter Henry. Box depth is always important. We might need to get Cam and Tuitt some help. What else?
This is my list in order by need (it changes a lot lol):
1. SS/FS
obvious
2. CB
obvious
3. D-Line (DE/NT flexible would be a plus)
Wreck-it crew needs help at DE. Can't keep those guys in for 90% of the plays each game and expect them not to be gassed late in the 4th. Need those roles reduced to keep them fresh. Please for the love of all that is holy, do not resign Cam Thomas. McLendon might not be worth the contract so they could let him walk. NT is only on the field 30% of the defensive snaps, but McLendon wants to be paid like a full time starter. Sorry but McCullers could easily fill that void and be a cheaper option. Still would need depth at NT.
4. O-Line
Beach & Foster are FA's. AVill likely pushes Beach out of town since Beach already openly refused a move inside. He wants to be paid top 10 LT money, and he deserves it. But that doesn't bode well for a return in PIT. Foster might get resigned. But they need bodies if one or the other departs.
5. TE
Need someone to fill the void. Not a starter, just a depth guy. Spaeth & James are more than capable to fill the duties. But with Spaeth knocking on the door, the future of the position is in doubt. But thankfully they have the best WR corps in the NFL so the position isn't dire. They mainly just need blockers.
6. CB
Double dip time! Blake should not be resigned, but I know Tomlin's love affair with him is strong. If Grant is making the transition to safety then double dipping at CB becomes a priority. Gay needs to be resigned. That would leave Gay, Allen, Cockrell & Golson as the only CB's on the roster. Allen looks like a smart post-June 1st release, so that leaves only 3. I heard they are working out McCain so if they sign a FA the double dip could disappear.
7. QB
I always get tarred & feathered for throwing this position in the ring. But Ben's got maybe 3 years left of excellence before it could get shaky. We all would like to believe he's going to play like an all-star for the remainder of his contract, but its not likely. Time is against him at this point. And is the team going to go the grooming route, or will they eat the down years and get the top draft prospect? A case could be made for either.
8. D-Line
If they get a DE then they will need a NT if McLendon doesn't get resigned
9. OLB
Harrison isn't a guarantee to return this season. He said he wants to but its up to his body at this point. If he responds well to his offseason regimen then he's all aboard. Do they think JJ or 2015-camp-darling Chickillo are up to the task of filling the void down the road? Is JJ worth a new contract? Lots of uncertainty for 2017.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some good chatter I missed last night.

My thoughts.

Trading down
  • I'm not against it, but I'm wondering what is an attractive net gain...an extra 3rd rounder inside the top 100? I'm not sure.
Without all of the results from FA and combine in place...I like Dodd or Lawson to slide down maybe...even Nkemdiche...plenty athletic enough to play 3-4 DE...these are guys that in Sept I think will be in the rotation at DE taking pressure off Tuitt and Heyward.

If Noah Spence fell to 25 it would scare me so bad that I would pass and that might be a huge mistake.

@FaCe-LeE-uS has been onto this Cash kid for sometime...the more you read up on him the more you like...Duke, Stanford educated, if you just get accepted, kids you think should not have any problem learning the playbook.

I'm seeing a couple people mock Joshua Garnett to PIT in the 2nd...another Stanford product...I've heard DeCastro 2.0...that would mean the end of Foster, but I like S in the 58 spot, but OG wouldn't bother me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my list in order by need (it changes a lot lol):
1. SS/FS
obvious
2. CB
obvious
3. D-Line (DE/NT flexible would be a plus)
Wreck-it crew needs help at DE. Can't keep those guys in for 90% of the plays each game and expect them not to be gassed late in the 4th. Need those roles reduced to keep them fresh. Please for the love of all that is holy, do not resign Cam Thomas. McLendon might not be worth the contract so they could let him walk. NT is only on the field 30% of the defensive snaps, but McLendon wants to be paid like a full time starter. Sorry but McCullers could easily fill that void and be a cheaper option. Still would need depth at NT.
4. O-Line
Beach & Foster are FA's. AVill likely pushes Beach out of town since Beach already openly refused a move inside. He wants to be paid top 10 LT money, and he deserves it. But that doesn't bode well for a return in PIT. Foster might get resigned. But they need bodies if one or the other departs.
5. TE
Need someone to fill the void. Not a starter, just a depth guy. Spaeth & James are more than capable to fill the duties. But with Spaeth knocking on the door, the future of the position is in doubt. But thankfully they have the best WR corps in the NFL so the position isn't dire. They mainly just need blockers.
6. CB
Double dip time! Blake should not be resigned, but I know Tomlin's love affair with him is strong. If Grant is making the transition to safety then double dipping at CB becomes a priority. Gay needs to be resigned. That would leave Gay, Allen, Cockrell & Golson as the only CB's on the roster. Allen looks like a smart post-June 1st release, so that leaves only 3. I heard they are working out McCain so if they sign a FA the double dip could disappear.
7. QB
I always get tarred & feathered for throwing this position in the ring. But Ben's got maybe 3 years left of excellence before it could get shaky. We all would like to believe he's going to play like an all-star for the remainder of his contract, but its not likely. Time is against him at this point. And is the team going to go the grooming route, or will they eat the down years and get the top draft prospect? A case could be made for either.
8. D-Line
If they get a DE then they will need a NT if McLendon doesn't get resigned
9. OLB
Harrison isn't a guarantee to return this season. He said he wants to but its up to his body at this point. If he responds well to his offseason regimen then he's all aboard. Do they think JJ or 2015-camp-darling Chickillo are up to the task of filling the void down the road? Is JJ worth a new contract? Lots of uncertainty for 2017.

Well...my, my, you've got a long Christmas list here son!...lol

I'm starting to hone in more on 1 thru 4.

1...I'm on record saying a DE/DT will fall that can gobble up snaps from the opening game...at the same time I've seen Conklin mocked to 25...I would think long and hard, but I'd probably do it...Gilbert is not a 3 contract player..is his?

2...CB/S...if this is not a back end player, I will be very surprised

3...TE/OG/LB

4...LB

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with Face on the #1 need. The names we've talked about...Cash, Killebrew and another west coast player, Darian Thompson from Boise St. are in the mid 30s to high 40s on the big boards I'm working with...one has to drop I think for us to land one of them at 2.58

I was up late farting around with a mock draft XL SS and the pool of players I am coming up with that should be on the board for the 25 slot looks like this.

Eli Apple, CB OSU...several guys have mocked him to PIT...the word I'm getting is he's not as fluid in coverage as the top 3 CBs but has great upside potential...if Gay is resigned, he has to beat out Cockrell for a spot...maybe the guy in '17, but he looks like CB4 right now.

Darron Reed, DT, Alabama...imo the more athletic of the two Bama DTs in this draft...2 gap capability...I can see him also sliding outside and taking some snaps at DE as well.

Shilique Calhoun, OLB, Mich St....seems like a strange spot. JJ has earned the snaps he's gotten, but are we close to his ceiling? This guy has edge pressure skills...Like Dupree, I think he would find snaps in rotation early...if Deebo comes back he drops down the board.

Jack Conklin, OT, Mich St....seems like a good option for a swing OT...has played both sides. Kind of high for a depth pick.

To be honest this pool doesn't look real sexy, I can see why Apple is getting the nod at 25. In terms of trading down...that would be ideal here, but the pool may not have the bait to get an extra 3rd.

We shall see.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with Face on the #1 need. The names we've talked about...Cash, Killebrew and another west coast player, Darian Thompson from Boise St. are in the mid 30s to high 40s on the big boards I'm working with...one has to drop I think for us to land one of them at 2.58

I was up late farting around with a mock draft XL SS and the pool of players I am coming up with that should be on the board for the 25 slot looks like this.

Eli Apple, CB OSU...several guys have mocked him to PIT...the word I'm getting is he's not as fluid in coverage as the top 3 CBs but has great upside potential...if Gay is resigned, he has to beat out Cockrell for a spot...maybe the guy in '17, but he looks like CB4 right now.

Darron Reed, DT, Alabama...imo the more athletic of the two Bama DTs in this draft...2 gap capability...I can see him also sliding outside and taking some snaps at DE as well.

Shilique Calhoun, OLB, Mich St....seems like a strange spot. JJ has earned the snaps he's gotten, but are we close to his ceiling? This guy has edge pressure skills...Like Dupree, I think he would find snaps in rotation early...if Deebo comes back he drops down the board.

Jack Conklin, OT, Mich St....seems like a good option for a swing OT...has played both sides. Kind of high for a depth pick.

To be honest this pool doesn't look real sexy, I can see why Apple is getting the nod at 25. In terms of trading down...that would be ideal here, but the pool may not have the bait to get an extra 3rd.

We shall see.
Have the coaching staff given up on Jarvis Jones? It seems like a lot of fans have. I had high hopes for him when we drafted him, it's unfortunate that it's taking him this long to become a consistent impact player. I'm not sure if it's the rotation setup coach Keith has set up that has him seemingly playing poorly or what it is. But I've watched nearly every game since he was drafted and it seems like his name is never mentioned by the commentators. This is a make-or-break year for Jarvis imo, assuming the front office decides to bring him back. Jarvis is a good guy and I hope he comes though, but it's hard to justify paying a guy a starter's salary for such a small amount of production.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the coaching staff given up on Jarvis Jones? It seems like a lot of fans have. I had high hopes for him when we drafted him, it's unfortunate that it's taking him this long to become a consistent impact player. I'm not sure if it's the rotation setup coach Keith has set up that has him seemingly playing poorly or what it is. But I've watched nearly every game since he was drafted and it seems like his name is never mentioned by the commentators. This is a make-or-break year for Jarvis imo, assuming the front office decides to bring him back. Jarvis is a good guy and I hope he comes though, but it's hard to justify paying a guy a starter's salary for such a small amount of production.

I think JJ had a good season...2 sacks, 1 FF, FR, 1 Int and I think he had a strip sack in the playoffs. The sack numbers are not what we're used to seeing from the OLB spot...and obviously it won't be in a rotation situation, but Butler seems to like it...if Deebo tries one more yr I would expect the snapcount to slant more in Jones' direction maybe 60-40.

The final yr of his rookie deal. If he has another season like this one, he most likely will get another contract from the Steelers, but I doubt they will pick up the option....his cap hit is $2.7...not bad for his '15 production...he needs to be in a 5 to 7 sack range in '16.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JJ had a good season...2 sacks, 1 FF, FR, 1 Int and I think he had a strip sack in the playoffs. The sack numbers are not what we're used to seeing from the OLB spot...and obviously it won't be in a rotation situation, but Butler seems to like it...if Deebo tries one more yr I would expect the snapcount to slant more in Jones' direction maybe 60-40.

The final yr of his rookie deal. If he has another season like this one, he most likely will get another contract from the Steelers, but I doubt they will pick up the option....his cap hit is $2.7...not bad for his '15 production...he needs to be in a 5 to 7 sack range in '16.
I agree. Because of how deep this draft is at the d-line positions, I'd lean more towards a DB in the first. I'm not sure I like Eli Apple yet. I'm higher on Fuller, and he could be available in mid 2nd round if we moved picks around. I hope Will Gay re-signs with us. I'm still laughing at his way-too-long celebration parade in Cincinnati. Cockrell is pretty solid. And Senquez Golson is scheduled to become an All-star this season. As long as Antwon Blake isn't on the roster come August I'll be happier.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Because of how deep this draft is at the d-line positions, I'd lean more towards a DB in the first. I'm not sure I like Eli Apple yet. I'm higher on Fuller, and he could be available in mid 2nd round if we moved picks around. I hope Will Gay re-signs with us. I'm still laughing at his way-too-long celebration parade in Cincinnati. Cockrell is pretty solid. And Senquez Golson is scheduled to become an All-star this season. As long as Antwon Blake isn't on the roster come August I'll be happier.

I'm working my way towards the 2nd second round pool.

CB at 25...If Gay is not signed...Apple probably makes sense. I'm with you on Fuller. Sept surgery on his knee, not sure if he's going to run at the combine...if he pro day results are good, I think he might be gone at 58...Not so much that I think he's better than Apple, idk to be honest, but I do think he's a better value at 58 than Apple would be at 25.

Gay...if they plan on competing for the DIV again and go further in the playoffs...they must retain him...I don't think he will gouge...I expect a fair offer and him being in PIT next yr and '17 actually....3 yr deal is what I expect.

I think the 1st 3 CB spots are locked up barring injury as well....any draft pick is probably battling Blake for CB4. Assuming Gay is signed...I would lean toward Reed, the DT from Bama from the pool I have there. I think he can be a DE rotation guy and play some NT.