• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
artie-burns-ncaa-football-bethune-cookman-miami.jpg

Artie Burns CB, Miami
6'0" 193 lbs

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Premium athlete with long, angular build and preferred blend of size and speed. One of the top 60-meter hurdlers in college track and field. Wakes up every morning with natural ball skills to flip the field. Got hands on high number of targeted throws, including six interceptions this season despite playing in a cornerback rotation. Will bait quarterbacks into trap throws. Has soft hands and catch radius of a receiver when it is time to take the ball away. Possesses brash, cocky demeanor. Length and physicality from press can be extremely disruptive. Burst on the throw is NFL-worthy. When he’s dialed in, has talent to be impactful. Usually finishes when he makes contact as tackler.

WEAKNESSES
Tape isn't his best friend. Extremely raw and undisciplined. Leggy and grabby in routes. Flagged for four pass interference and two unsportsmanlike penalties. Upright in backpedal and plays with very little bend. High center of gravity prevents fluid change of direction. Coasts on athleticism and talent over proper technique. Turns motor off and on from game to game, and play can be lackadaisical. Would like to see him attack blockers rather than waiting for running back before disengaging.

Conclusion:
Everyone likes Eli Apple going to the Steelers in the 1st round, but I think waiting until day 2 for this kid makes more sense. He's big enough to play outside and has quality ball skills. He's projected to be gone by mid-3rd round, but his stock isn't final. As mentioned above, Burns is a track star, so he will likely test well at the combine and pro day. His value will likely rise as a result, so I'm almost certain he'll be gone by the time the 3rd round starts. Artie Burns seems like a nice alternative to the two CB options we've discussed thus far. Because of his raw talent he should be available to us at 2.58. This would allow Colbert to stock up on depth in the trenches at 1.25, or trade out of the 1st round completely with the assurance that a good CB for the future will be available on day 2.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 92016

Artie Burns CB, Miami
6'0" 193 lbs

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Premium athlete with long, angular build and preferred blend of size and speed. One of the top 60-meter hurdlers in college track and field. Wakes up every morning with natural ball skills to flip the field. Got hands on high number of targeted throws, including six interceptions this season despite playing in a cornerback rotation. Will bait quarterbacks into trap throws. Has soft hands and catch radius of a receiver when it is time to take the ball away. Possesses brash, cocky demeanor. Length and physicality from press can be extremely disruptive. Burst on the throw is NFL-worthy. When he’s dialed in, has talent to be impactful. Usually finishes when he makes contact as tackler.

WEAKNESSES
Tape isn't his best friend. Extremely raw and undisciplined. Leggy and grabby in routes. Flagged for four pass interference and two unsportsmanlike penalties. Upright in backpedal and plays with very little bend. High center of gravity prevents fluid change of direction. Coasts on athleticism and talent over proper technique. Turns motor off and on from game to game, and play can be lackadaisical. Would like to see him attack blockers rather than waiting for running back before disengaging.

Conclusion:
Everyone likes Eli Apple going to the Steelers in the 1st round, but I think waiting until day 2 for this kid makes more sense. He's big enough to play outside and has quality ball skills. He's projected to be gone by mid-3rd round, but his stock isn't final. As mentioned above, Burns is a track star, so he will likely test well at the combine and pro day. His value will likely rise as a result, so I'm almost certain he'll be gone by the time the 3rd round starts. Artie Burns seems like a nice alternative to the two CB options we've discussed thus far. Because of his raw talent he should be available to us at 2.58. This would allow Colbert to stock up on depth in the trenches at 1.25, or trade out of the 1st round completely with the assurance that a good CB for the future will be available on day 2.

You stole my thunder!...literally....I have him In the 2.58 pool.

Good pick up....Burns fits the outside size they covet...raw, but has the one component everyone wants on the back end...speed.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking this pick has to be a S. In my mock the pool at 58 is looking like this (all pre-combine subject to change).

Vadal Alexander, OG...LSU

Johnathan Bullard, DE...FL

Artie Burns, CB...MIA

Jayron Kearse, SS...CLEM

Von Bell, SS...OSU

Sheldon Day, DT.

Keanu Neal, S

Kendall Fuller, CB...ViTech

William Jackson, CB...HOU

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm thinking this pick has to be a S. In my mock the pool at 58 is looking like this (all pre-combine subject to change).

Vadal Alexander, OG...LSU

Johnathan Bullard, DE...FL

Artie Burns, CB...MIA

Jayron Kearse, SS...CLEM

Von Bell, SS...OSU

Sheldon Day, DT.

Keanu Neal, S

Kendall Fuller, CB...ViTech

William Jackson, CB...HOU
Sheldon Day keeps showing up in my mocks as well. He seems like a good fit

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ct-sheldon-day-notre-dame-usc-spt-1017-20151016.jpg

Sheldon Day DL, Notre Dame
6'1" 286 lbs.

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Has experience at defensive end and tackle. Outstanding quickness off snap and is into gaps before you know it. Noticeably quicker than guards attempting to block him when rushing from inside. Rusher with a presnap plan and a quality counter moves if initial rush is thwarted. Uncommon athleticism for a squatty body type. Fluid drops into space on zone blitzes with unheard of ability to mirror and match receivers in zone. Quick hands and wastes no time shedding single blocks. Has arm-over pet move. Feels down-blocks and fights against them. Works for arm extension and looks to squeeze his gap vs. run. Motor never stops. Lateral quickness could make him a terror in twisting pass rush.

WEAKNESSES
Frame is lacking the pure bulk to make a living inside and the length to become a consistent pass rusher off the edge. Might be caught between positions. A good double team will overwhelm him at point of attack. Doesn’t have power to be consistent bull-rush threat. Attacks in gaps and on the edges and if he doesn’t win there, rush effectiveness drops significantly. Pass rush production was just OK.

Conclusion:
The Steelers seem to be one of the few fits for this kid. His skill set seems to make more sense for a 34 defense. He reminds me of Aaron Donald in that he's a bit thin for an interior defensive lineman but has good hands and is good a getting to the passer. The Steelers have several good run-stuffers, including Stephon Tuitt and Cam Heyward. Adding an interior pass rush could pay dividends for a team needing help against the pass. Heyward is good at rushing the QB, but one of the priorities for this draft is adding depth in the box. Getting someone who can get to the QB from the interior makes a lot of sense. Day is very versatile, being able to play several different techniques inside. He's projected to go in the 3rd round, which fits where the Steelers are currently positioned. He's built almost identically like Pitt legend Aaron Donald, who is 6'1" 285. Maybe that's good karma or something. I like him going at 2.58 or later if we trade down.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheldon Day keeps showing up in my mocks as well. He seems like a good fit

I look at Day in Butler's DEF as a rotation guy at DE...smaller version of McLendon actually...similar slasher/gapper style...I don't think he can take any snaps @ NT so he's probably a 20 snap a game player if he can fill in on both sides...I like his shorter stature.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the inactivity gents... Hectic month. Hopefully the dust will start to settle and I can get back to my normal routines.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to throw a RET guy into this discussion... Getting AB off punt returns seems like a yearly priority. And with how badly Wheaton handled it in the playoffs lol.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a WR or RB with return experience drafted in the mid to late rounds. Hell, they've started to make a reputation for taking outta-the-blue prospects in the 3rd round... Archer, Coates...

Maybe they'll even entertain a FA option? They always seem to carry about 5 guys during the offseason with return experience

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to throw a RET guy into this discussion... Getting AB off punt returns seems like a yearly priority. And with how badly Wheaton handled it in the playoffs lol.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a WR or RB with return experience drafted in the mid to late rounds. Hell, they've started to make a reputation for taking outta-the-blue prospects in the 3rd round... Archer, Coates...

Maybe they'll even entertain a FA option? They always seem to carry about 5 guys during the offseason with return experience
Percy Harvin?

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or Pacman Jones :wtf:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2lcqyko.jpg
Vernon Butler DL, Louisiana Tech
6'3" 325 lbs.
Rd Projection: 1st

STRENGTHS
Long-armed knee-bender who can play the role of low man at the point of attack. Plays with strong hands and good arm extension and can “peekaboo” both gaps as he reads which hole the running back heads for. Impressive stack and shed timing and power. Able to eat up double teams and keep his linebackers clean when asked to. Excellent athleticism. Can make plays all along the line of scrimmage. If blocker doesn’t finish, Butler will work himself back into the play. Able to coordinate hands and feet smoothly and has change of direction and closing burst to become a dominant pass rusher from inside. Can slide from gap to gap as a pass rusher and is a perfect fit for twist-based defense. Generally attacks gaps with forward lean and ability to corner the edge when he has his man beat. Can stutter-step into pass rush to disrupt offensive lineman’s timing or generate a speed-to-power bull rush that can severely dent a pocket. Gives consistent effort and plays like a lead dog looking to eat.
WEAKNESSES
Build is athletic, but a little bit top heavy. Will play with inconsistent base when his pad level gets too high trying to win through the gaps. Will try to outmuscle his opponent when his initial pass rush gets stuck in neutral, rather than use counter moves. For all of his potential and talent, wasn’t as productive as NFL scouts are used to. Plays with some wasted energy and motion and needs to work more efficiently.
NFL COMPARISON
Muhammad Wilkerson

Honestly didn't know much about this kid until I read the articles about Colbert & Tomlin meeting with him at the combine. Did more & more research and started to really like him. He has great athleticism that allows him to work either outside or inside. Amazing combination of power and quickness. He's being touted as a top 25 talent. If he's available at 25 then he easily fits the BPA discussion.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 93027
Vernon Butler DL, Louisiana Tech
6'3" 325 lbs.
Rd Projection: 1st

STRENGTHS
Long-armed knee-bender who can play the role of low man at the point of attack. Plays with strong hands and good arm extension and can “peekaboo” both gaps as he reads which hole the running back heads for. Impressive stack and shed timing and power. Able to eat up double teams and keep his linebackers clean when asked to. Excellent athleticism. Can make plays all along the line of scrimmage. If blocker doesn’t finish, Butler will work himself back into the play. Able to coordinate hands and feet smoothly and has change of direction and closing burst to become a dominant pass rusher from inside. Can slide from gap to gap as a pass rusher and is a perfect fit for twist-based defense. Generally attacks gaps with forward lean and ability to corner the edge when he has his man beat. Can stutter-step into pass rush to disrupt offensive lineman’s timing or generate a speed-to-power bull rush that can severely dent a pocket. Gives consistent effort and plays like a lead dog looking to eat.
WEAKNESSES
Build is athletic, but a little bit top heavy. Will play with inconsistent base when his pad level gets too high trying to win through the gaps. Will try to outmuscle his opponent when his initial pass rush gets stuck in neutral, rather than use counter moves. For all of his potential and talent, wasn’t as productive as NFL scouts are used to. Plays with some wasted energy and motion and needs to work more efficiently.
NFL COMPARISON
Muhammad Wilkerson

Honestly didn't know much about this kid until I read the articles about Colbert & Tomlin meeting with him at the combine. Did more & more research and started to really like him. He has great athleticism that allows him to work either outside or inside. Amazing combination of power and quickness. He's being touted as a top 25 talent. If he's available at 25 then he easily fits the BPA discussion.
His size makes him capable of playing all 3 line positions. He could probably play any inside technique if his hands and feet are that good.

I hadn't heard of him until just now. But if Jaylon Smith's injury is bad enough to drop him to 25, then Colbert might have to take him. He's touted as one of the best defenders in the country if you disregard his apparently bad injury. He may have to sit for a year, but in the end that may be a blessing in disguise for both parties. I'm not sure if he'll fall that much, but if he does I think Colbert may have to pull the trigger on Jaylon Smith.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His size makes him capable of playing all 3 line positions. He could probably play any inside technique if his hands and feet are that good.

I hadn't heard of him until just now. But if Jaylon Smith's injury is bad enough to drop him to 25, then Colbert might have to take him. He's touted as one of the best defenders in the country if you disregard his apparently bad injury. He may have to sit for a year, but in the end that may be a blessing in disguise for both parties. I'm not sure if he'll fall that much, but if he does I think Colbert may have to pull the trigger on Jaylon Smith.

Combine is not over yet, but the impact so far...Jaylon Smith's injury is more serious than most knew...clearly in the Todd Gurley situation but more unknown...I expect him to drop out of the top 10 maybe even top 15. Noah Spence...apparently his interviews were not great on his past issues off the field...I think after the SR bowl people expected Von Miller-like #s at the combine and didn't get that. He should still go in the 1st, but may not be a top 15 pick.

Smith...I agree. PIT can afford to give him a yr to rehab if the doctors think he'll return to his pre-injury potential.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a 1st run effort post combine. I took Jaylon Smith off the 1st rd but if his injury starts to look less like Marcus Lattimore I think a team at the bottom of the 1st round will take him.

I'm going off the premise that Foster leaves via FA.

# TEAM PICK POS

1 TN TUNSIL OT
2 CLE WENTZ QB
3 SD BUCKNER DE
4 DAL BOSA DE
5 JAX RAMSEY FS
6 BAL STANLEY OT
7 SF GOFF QB
8 MIA JACK LB
9 TB LAWSON DE
10 NYG A. ROBINSON DT
11 CHI REED DT
12 NO BILLINGS DT
13 PHI LYNCH QB
14 OAK HARGREAVES CB
15 LA TREADWELL WR
16 DET SPENCE DE
17 ATL DODD DE
18 IND CONKLIN OT
19 BUF NKEMDICHE DE
20 NYJ ALEXANDER CB
21 WAS COLEMAN WR
22 HOU ELLIOTT RB
23 MIN RAGLAND LB
24 CIN OGBAH DE
25 PIT WHITEHAIR OG
26 SEA SPRIGGS OT
27 GB CALHOUN LB
28 KC APPLE CB
29 AZ WRIGHT LB
30 CAR THOMPSON FS
31 DEN RANKINS DT

I'm not really liking my own mock, but if Foster is resigned, Eli Apple would move up the board.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear ya. Not sure anyone could pass on him if he falls into the 20's. He's a top 3 prospect when healthy. I was reading about possible nerve damage so I can see it scaring a lot of teams away. This is sort of like the Marcus Lattimore situation. Nobody can say for certain whether he will return at any point. Its a big gamble, but could pay off huge for whomever takes the chance. Listening to Jaylon's interviews he seems a lot more optimistic than any analyst has been. Pretty confused on that situation, but definitely worth keeping a close eye on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers meet with another QB prospect in Oregon's Vernon Adams

First they meet with Kessler, now this kid. They seem to be very serious about upgrading their QB position. Wonder what this means for the backup depth chart. I still think resigning Bruce is in their best interest. If not and they draft a QB, then that would mean Landry is in a head to head battle for QB2. Tomlin's history of leaning towards vets would favor Landry. That would be a scary situation.