• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think we had a 5th....thought 5th & 6 were involved in the trades for kicker who got hurt maybe forgot, and Boykin. The comp should give them two 7ths.

If he has a good combine..meetings, I would invest a 5th, but doubt he lasts til the 7th.

I think you're right that we don't have a 5th or 6th.

So hypothetically, I would only invest a 5th if Landrey Jones is cut or traded creating a need at QB. To me right now they need to sure up the back of the D. And depending on what happens with FA and retirements they could have some big holes/shoes to fill on D. If Ben was closer to retirement then I'd say go after this kid now but ben's not and you know they'll go DL/LB somewhere in the top 3.

But I'm just an arm chair GM, so what do I really know!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right that we don't have a 5th or 6th.

So hypothetically, I would only invest a 5th if Landrey Jones is cut or traded creating a need at QB. To me right now they need to sure up the back of the D. And depending on what happens with FA and retirements they could have some big holes/shoes to fill on D. If Ben was closer to retirement then I'd say go after this kid now but ben's not and you know they'll go DL/LB somewhere in the top 3.

But I'm just an arm chair GM, so what do I really know!

But it's fun playing one! LOL!!

They are a bit too far out from the heir apparent...if the USC is around in the 7th...you can bring in some competition for Landry which is what I think Tomlin's intentions are.

If a Connor Cook slipped into the late 2nd...it would be interesting to see how they would go...While I agree the back end has to be upgraded, but I'm not expecting to see a new name in the backfield that's not already on the roster starting in '16...well Gay is technically not on the roster, but aside from him.

Barring injury, I think they will take the field with Golden, Mitchell @ S Gay and Cockrell outside and Golson in the slot. Maybe he brings back Blake as CB4

Grant supposedly is going to get a shot at FS...if they like what they see, and no prospects jump off the page I would not be surprised if no S is taken 1-4.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's fun playing one! LOL!!

They are a bit too far out from the heir apparent...if the USC is around in the 7th...you can bring in some competition for Landry which is what I think Tomlin's intentions are.

If a Connor Cook slipped into the late 2nd...it would be interesting to see how they would go...While I agree the back end has to be upgraded, but I'm not expecting to see a new name in the backfield that's not already on the roster starting in '16...well Gay is technically not on the roster, but aside from him.

Barring injury, I think they will take the field with Golden, Mitchell @ S Gay and Cockrell outside and Golson in the slot. Maybe he brings back Blake as CB4

Grant supposedly is going to get a shot at FS...if they like what they see, and no prospects jump off the page I would not be surprised if no S is taken 1-4.

How well that CB they drafted last year (Ghoston in the 2nd round, I think - out of sight, can't remember his name) recovers from injury will dicate their drafting stratagey somewhat.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How well that CB they drafted last year (Ghoston in the 2nd round, I think - out of sight, can't remember his name) recovers from injury will dicate their drafting stratagey somewhat.

From all the reports I've been reading...he's going to be fully ready for camp. I think they are expecting him to take over the slot...for some reason if he's not...Blake has to be the fall back plan...I think Gay gets a 3 yr deal max, so I'm thinking they will take another CB at some point to groom.

But the top pick imo is wide open...most big boards don't have a S in their top 32...so I don't expect them to reach. CB...Artie Burns, Kendall Fuller are early names that I think might be there @ 25...might be a reach for them as well...we'll know more after the combine.

BPA could very well be a DT or DE...I think JJ gets lionshare of the snaps next yer, but Butler liked the rotation...wouldn't be surprised to see a LB taken...does Foster cost too much...they could go OG.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SteelersPride

I guess I should have emphasized that I do not think Landry's spot as the QB2 is set in stone. Meaning anyone they sign or draft is able to compete for the job and likely to win it. Like I said, I have less confidence in Landry than I did with Bruce as the QB2.

All I was trying to get across was he is at the very least, serviceable. The way I look at a backup QB is probably a lot lower than most. I like to think of them as a substitute teacher lol. They aren't going to know or have the chemistry with their students, but they can read out of a book and teach a class. To put that in football terms... I think a backup QB just needs to know the system and be able to move the chains. A good OC makes any backup QB better, and we're kinda screwed in that area... If you read my rants about Haley you would know how I feel about that subject. Let's not get into that in this thread lol.

I will completely agree that it does help tremendously when you have better talent than Landry! But I do believe that Landry can fit that role. He has 3 years under Haley so he knows the offense inside & out. He's got a decent arm but he makes awful reads. He hasn't played until this season so maybe he can improve & feel more confident. But that's what the optimist inside me says about everyone lol.

We shall see. Let's just hope they bring in someone better lol.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SteelersPride

I guess I should have emphasized that I do not think Landry's spot as the QB2 is set in stone. Meaning anyone they sign or draft is able to compete for the job and likely to win it. Like I said, I have less confidence in Landry than I did with Bruce as the QB2.

All I was trying to get across was he is at the very least, serviceable. The way I look at a backup QB is probably a lot lower than most. I like to think of them as a substitute teacher lol. They aren't going to know or have the chemistry with their students, but they can read out of a book and teach a class. To put that in football terms... I think a backup QB just needs to know the system and be able to move the chains. A good OC makes any backup QB better, and we're kinda screwed in that area... If you read my rants about Haley you would know how I feel about that subject. Let's not get into that in this thread lol.

I will completely agree that it does help tremendously when you have better talent than Landry! But I do believe that Landry can fit that role. He has 3 years under Haley so he knows the offense inside & out. He's got a decent arm but he makes awful reads. He hasn't played until this season so maybe he can improve & feel more confident. But that's what the optimist inside me says about everyone lol.

We shall see. Let's just hope they bring in someone better lol.

the bold is stricktly why he sucks

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Rueter from NFL.com took a stab at a 4 round mock...here's who he mocked for PIT.

1.25...Eli Apple...CB OSU...tall, long...considered more raw than the top 3 CBs, but has the goods to be coached up...probably not a '16 starter, but most likely the '17 starter outside.

2.58...Joshua Garnett...OG, STAN...this pick makes a lot of sense if Foster is not retained...the word I've seen is he's has a skill set similar to DeCastro...maybe better feet, needs upper body strength.

3.89...Sheldon Day...DT, ND...imo too small to play NT, is he any better than the DEs on the roster?...I think they can do better here maybe...Bama has 2 or DTs that will play in the league...the Baylor kid Billings.

4.120...Nick Vannett...TE, OSU...I wouldn't mind this pick, big, athletic...Heath and Spaeth are in the last years...James is coming along, but not the total package.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Rueter from NFL.com took a stab at a 4 round mock...here's who he mocked for PIT.

1.25...Eli Apple...CB OSU...tall, long...considered more raw than the top 3 CBs, but has the goods to be coached up...probably not a '16 starter, but most likely the '17 starter outside.

2.58...Joshua Garnett...OG, STAN...this pick makes a lot of sense if Foster is not retained...the word I've seen is he's has a skill set similar to DeCastro...maybe better feet, needs upper body strength.

3.89...Sheldon Day...DT, ND...imo too small to play NT, is he any better than the DEs on the roster?...I think they can do better here maybe...Bama has 2 or DTs that will play in the league...the Baylor kid Billings.

4.120...Nick Vannett...TE, OSU...I wouldn't mind this pick, big, athletic...Heath and Spaeth are in the last years...James is coming along, but not the total package.
im not thrilled, i like fuller better than apple

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not thrilled, i like fuller better than apple

I wouldn't poopoo it if it went down like that because it does kinda address needs. But, I think they can do better than the 4th rated CB off the board @ 25....with no S carrying a 1st rd grade...I'm kinda expecting this top pick to be a DL big, OG, or maybe even an OLB...Jaylon Smith and Noah Spence are two names I'll be watching...Spence is a top 15 talent by many accounts...got himself into some trouble with estacy and kicked out of school...finished at E. KY.

With 3 QBs, 3 CBs, 3 OTs, 3 or 4 LBs, maybe 1 RB, and host of DT/DEs at the top of this draft...somebody is going to slide...most likely a DL big.

Fuller...I can't say I know enough about their games to say for certain, but I tend to agree...I like the pedigree...many feel he is 1st round talent that will slide to the 2nd rd because of injury...if he's still on the board @ 2.58...I would take him assuming the injury is something that is not going to hold him out of camp etc.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller...I can't say I know enough about their games to say for certain, but I tend to agree...I like the pedigree...many feel he is 1st round talent that will slide to the 2nd rd because of injury...if he's still on the board @ 2.58...I would take him assuming the injury is something that is not going to hold him out of camp etc.
I am liking Fuller more and more as well. But what worries me is running into another Golson-like redshirt season if Fuller isn't healthy enough. If they cannot retain Gay then they will need Fuller to be ready day 1.

Or dare I say it... They resign Blake if things don't go well with Gay. :gaah:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am liking Fuller more and more as well. But what worries me is running into another Golson-like redshirt season if Fuller isn't healthy enough. If they cannot retain Gay then they will need Fuller to be ready day 1.

Or dare I say it... They resign Blake if things don't go well with Gay. :gaah:

I will officially call Tomlin and the FO stupid fucks if they bring Blake back in any kind of a major snap role. I can say I do like the the new format putting the combine in Feb, FA, draft...I feel pretty confident they will make Gay a good enough offer to stay and I get the sense that he won't leave for another offer unless TN goes crazy, but does he want to struggle be a 8 win team for the last part of his career?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE just jumped into the top of the need list.

Heeeeeeeeeeeath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I just saw that too.

I still don't think they will go for the kid from ARK @ 25, Henry...talented, but more of a hybrid. We can probably count on Nick Vannett being brought in for a visit.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still don't think they will go for the kid from ARK @ 25, Henry...talented, but more of a hybrid. We can probably count on Nick Vannett being brought in for a visit.

I wonder if they see James as a viable #1 TE? We know Spath is not much more than a blocking #2.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if they see James as a viable #1 TE? We know Spath is not much more than a blocking #2.
Jesse James... From what we saw this season I don't see why not. The kid showed some impressive blocking skills, but still needs to work on consistency. I think things are going to slow down for him this offseason so he should start to really improve.

I think one important thing that needs to be said is that, at least in my honest opinion, TE is a luxury pick regardless of how thin the depth chart looks with Heath's departure. It’s pretty simple: the Steelers have the best receiving core in the league. Heath leaving won’t change that. Heath leaving will hurt run blocking, but will it hurt the team so much that they need to draft a tight end in the first three rounds? I certainly don't think so! Steelers don’t have to draft the next Heath. In fact, tight ends like Heath who can block and catch have become nearly extinct.

The Seahawks won a Super Bowl with Luke Willson as their starting tight end and the Broncos won a Super Bowl with Virgil Green as theirs. I'm confident that Jesse James can be as productive as either of those guys. So again, I don't think the Steelers are going to knee-jerk a top end draft pick because of Heath's retirement.

Just my 2cents

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesse James... From what we saw this season I don't see why not. The kid showed some impressive blocking skills, but still needs to work on consistency. I think things are going to slow down for him this offseason so he should start to really improve.

I think one important thing that needs to be said is that, at least in my honest opinion, TE is a luxury pick regardless of how thin the depth chart looks with Heath's departure. It’s pretty simple: the Steelers have the best receiving core in the league. Heath leaving won’t change that. Heath leaving will hurt run blocking, but will it hurt the team so much that they need to draft a tight end in the first three rounds? I certainly don't think so! Steelers don’t have to draft the next Heath. In fact, tight ends like Heath who can block and catch have become nearly extinct.

The Seahawks won a Super Bowl with Luke Willson as their starting tight end and the Broncos won a Super Bowl with Virgil Green as theirs. I'm confident that Jesse James can be as productive as either of those guys. So again, I don't think the Steelers are going to knee-jerk a top end draft pick because of Heath's retirement.

Just my 2cents

Good points as always Face.

I didn't expect the Steelers to make TE their #1 need. It may rise to #3/4 from way down the list but I don't know if any TE in this draft fits the Steelers' scheme enough to warrent even 3rd or 4th round attention.

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hi-res-7d4f0c35f458595d60c5dab36956c7a6_crop_north.jpg

Miles Killebrew, SS Southern Utah
6'1" 219 lbs.

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Tightly bundled muscle hammer with a compact frame and the thighs of a track sprinter. World-class form tackler with bad intentions behind his strikes. Patient and willing to wait until he's in proper range before exploding with everything he has into his victim. Confident around the line of scrimmage and uses aggressive hands to keep himself clean. Will not flinch in the face of contact and has the frame to be considered as a hybrid linebacker on the pro level. Relied upon to line secondary up and get defense situated.
WEAKNESSES
Instincts are very average. Needs to see it first and then can be a step slow to respond. Doesn't anticipate run direction as well as he needs to. Lack of instincts hinders range in coverage. Has a tendency to eyeball quarterback and lose track of route development around him. Has a verified 4.43 time from the spring in the 40-yard dash, but play speed doesn't always match that. Could be limited to box duties.
NFL COMPARISON Deone Bucannon

I just stumbled upon this kid's highlight reel and fell in love with him. I'm a big fan of these Kam Chancellor-style safeties, and this kid has the ability to be that for the Steelers. He's a sure tackler and big hitter. Apparently his coverage ability needs to be improved. We don't have much use for a hybrid ILB as it stands, so he would need to improve in coverage and play safety. We do already have Mike Mitchell, who is a good tackler and big hitter. So this guy may not make much sense for us. He's projected to go as early as the 2nd round. I personally love the idea of Mitchell and this kid forming a really explosive safety combo.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points as always Face.

I didn't expect the Steelers to make TE their #1 need. It may rise to #3/4 from way down the list but I don't know if any TE in this draft fits the Steelers' scheme enough to warrent even 3rd or 4th round attention.
Agreed. They would have to feel very confident in someone if they went as high as the 3rd round. I'd completely understand it too given that Spaeth is also close to retirement so the future of this position looks sparse. But right now they have at the very least 3 other positions of need that I would rank ahead of TE. S, CB, OL. One could even make the case for throwing DL in that mix.

We've discussed it before, but its always worth the mention... There's almost zero chance they land a starting caliber player in the secondary so BPA makes the most sense at #25.