• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that these measureables are anything definitive... But I'm still disappointed in Killebrew's 40-yd dash today. Clocked an official 4.65s. That's slower than Bud Dupree lol.

Still waitin on Cash to run

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NM... Forgot that Cash already stated he wasn't going to run today. :doh:

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers meet with another QB prospect in Oregon's Vernon Adams

First they meet with Kessler, now this kid. They seem to be very serious about upgrading their QB position. Wonder what this means for the backup depth chart. I still think resigning Bruce is in their best interest. If not and they draft a QB, then that would mean Landry is in a head to head battle for QB2. Tomlin's history of leaning towards vets would favor Landry. That would be a scary situation.
I'm not crazy about drafting a QB. I'd rather keep Bruce. Late round QB's tend to be really shit, with a few well known exceptions (Brady). I'd rather have 2 CB's, S, DL, OL, TE over a QB.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers Met With USC LB Su'a Cravens At Combine - Steelers Depot

He seems to be in the middle S/LB and came to the combine split...he's going to be somewhat fast for LB, but somewhat slow as a S...he didn't run, so I'm guessing.

As a hybrid guy in the box in 3 S look he can be effective, but idk about him in a 2 deep concept in coverage.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers Met With USC LB Su'a Cravens At Combine - Steelers Depot

He seems to be in the middle S/LB and came to the combine split...he's going to be somewhat fast for LB, but somewhat slow as a S...he didn't run, so I'm guessing.

As a hybrid guy in the box in 3 S look he can be effective, but idk about him in a 2 deep concept in coverage.
That was my question about him. Coverage skills are definitely a must if this secondary is going to get results any time soon. The CB's are too easily exposed without the S help. But these hybrid players are all the rage right now since offenses are continuously evolving. If Cravens has decent cover skills then he's a no brainer.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
usa-today-8808474.0.jpg

Su'a Cravens S, USC
6'1" 226

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Born to be a football player. Combines smarts, instincts and toughness. Will not hesitate to jump into the mix and have proven his ability to make full-time conversion to linebacker. Outstanding with his hands. Always first with his punch into blocker's frame and unlocks instant arm extension to keep himself clean. Showed ability to engage blocker, shuffle with square pads and disengage for the tackle. Scouts believe he will comfortably carry over 230 pounds in pros. Big boy production comes from always choosing play-making option over passive route. Loves to play on the other side of the line when possible. Sticky hands and can take the ball away if you give him a shot. Posted nine interceptions in three years. Aware in zone coverage, but has some blitz value. Will have immediate impact on special teams coverage.

WEAKNESSES
Small for an NFL linebacker spot. Lack of length to consistently pull himself around the corner against edge blocks. Former safety who is still learning nuances of the position. Will take time to adjust to NFL power at the point of attack. Will get hooked inside and lose contain. Not as twitched up and fast as expected. Will get engulfed if he doesn't win early with hands. Unable to maintain feel for the target in his trail technique in man coverage. More likely to maul and grab over trusting technique in coverage. Willing to dive and miss rather than working for a higher percentage tackle.

Conclusion:
As the highlight video states, this kid has a lot of Polamalu-like qualities. He gets down hill very quickly and is extremely disruptive. I don't know what his coverage skills are like, but he did have 9 interceptions in 3 years. He seems like an all around playmaker. His ability to occasionally get into the box and rush the passer is somethig coach Keith is accustomed to from his days with Troy. The Steelers make so much sense for this kid given our history with Troy. He must be attracted to the idea of coming to Pittsburgh and carrying the torch Polamalu left. After seeing the tape, I would imagine seeing this kid running all over the field would look all too familiar to long time Steelers fans. His size suggests he should play Strong Safety, which fits well with our needs. If Mr. Cravens is available at 1.25, I would hope Colbert and company would pull the trigger. He truly does look like Troy Jr.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not crazy about drafting a QB. I'd rather keep Bruce. Late round QB's tend to be really shit, with a few well known exceptions (Brady). I'd rather have 2 CB's, S, DL, OL, TE over a QB.

Of course I say this before FA has really even started but with PIT's history of basically signing their own I'd use the draft like this.

I would put a CB, S, DL or OLB, OL in the top 4 picks, but I have no problem with them bringing in a QB with the 7th or the 7th comp pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 93682

Su'a Cravens S, USC
6'1" 226

Summary:
STRENGTHS
Born to be a football player. Combines smarts, instincts and toughness. Will not hesitate to jump into the mix and have proven his ability to make full-time conversion to linebacker. Outstanding with his hands. Always first with his punch into blocker's frame and unlocks instant arm extension to keep himself clean. Showed ability to engage blocker, shuffle with square pads and disengage for the tackle. Scouts believe he will comfortably carry over 230 pounds in pros. Big boy production comes from always choosing play-making option over passive route. Loves to play on the other side of the line when possible. Sticky hands and can take the ball away if you give him a shot. Posted nine interceptions in three years. Aware in zone coverage, but has some blitz value. Will have immediate impact on special teams coverage.

WEAKNESSES
Small for an NFL linebacker spot. Lack of length to consistently pull himself around the corner against edge blocks. Former safety who is still learning nuances of the position. Will take time to adjust to NFL power at the point of attack. Will get hooked inside and lose contain. Not as twitched up and fast as expected. Will get engulfed if he doesn't win early with hands. Unable to maintain feel for the target in his trail technique in man coverage. More likely to maul and grab over trusting technique in coverage. Willing to dive and miss rather than working for a higher percentage tackle.

Conclusion:
As the highlight video states, this kid has a lot of Polamalu-like qualities. He gets down hill very quickly and is extremely disruptive. I don't know what his coverage skills are like, but he did have 9 interceptions in 3 years. He seems like an all around playmaker. His ability to occasionally get into the box and rush the passer is somethig coach Keith is accustomed to from his days with Troy. The Steelers make so much sense for this kid given our history with Troy. He must be attracted to the idea of coming to Pittsburgh and carrying the torch Polamalu left. After seeing the tape, I would imagine seeing this kid running all over the field would look all too familiar to long time Steelers fans. His size suggests he should play Strong Safety, which fits well with our needs. If Mr. Cravens is available at 1.25, I would hope Colbert and company would pull the trigger. He truly does look like Troy Jr.

Precursor....I haven't seen USC play many times this yr.. 3 times at most.

I like everything I see on tape, especially as that in the box guy that can blitz, make plays in run support around the LOS...but my concerns...the word is foot speed is a concern about him playing S...he can't be a tweener at this level. Is he going to run 4.6ish? If so, 25 might be too early....as a comparison Troy ran like 4.3, 4.4 coming in.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precursor....I haven't seen USC play many times this yr.. 3 times at most.

I like everything I see on tape, especially as that in the box guy that can blitz, make plays in run support around the LOS...but my concerns...the word is foot speed is a concern about him playing S...he can't be a tweener at this level. Is he going to run 4.6ish? If so, 25 might be too early....as a comparison Troy ran like 4.3, 4.4 coming in.
He isn't Troy. I think we all agree on that. I think his style of play is similar though, and he'd fit in really well with what we've done on defense in the past. If coach LeBeau was still here, I'd trust him yo whip this guy into shape in coverage. Coach Keith is a LB guy, so maybe he would be more of a middle guy next to Shaz. But the thing that screams at me is his versatility. He could play almost anywhere on the field. I think this kid fits better in the early-mid 2nd round, but we don't pick there. So maybe in the end he actually may not make sense for us. But his skill set is quite similar to someone we're used to seeing every Sunday.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course I say this before FA has really even started but with PIT's history of basically signing their own I'd use the draft like this.

I would put a CB, S, DL or OLB, OL in the top 4 picks, but I have no problem with them bringing in a QB with the 7th or the 7th comp pick.
That may be what Colbert is thinking. I believe they met with Kessler out of USC recently.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't Troy. I think we all agree on that. I think his style of play is similar though, and he'd fit in really well with what we've done on defense in the past. If coach LeBeau was still here, I'd trust him yo whip this guy into shape in coverage. Coach Keith is a LB guy, so maybe he would be more of a middle guy next to Shaz. But the thing that screams at me is his versatility. He could play almost anywhere on the field. I think this kid fits better in the early-mid 2nd round, but we don't pick there. So maybe in the end he actually may not make sense for us. But his skill set is quite similar to someone we're used to seeing every Sunday.

Agreed...very similar. If he's on the board at 58...I'm interested....he makes a lot of sense in the big nickel...maybe he develops into a decent coverage guy which was Troy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Tennessee Titans - Laremy Tunsil OT, Ole Miss
2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff QB, California
3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey DB, Florida State
4. Dallas Cowboys - Joey Bosa DE, Ohio State
5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Myles Jack LB, UCLA
6. Baltimore Ravens - Ronnie Stanley OT, Notre Dame
7. San Francisco 49ers - Carson Wentz QB, North Dakota State
8. Miami Dolphins - Vernon Hargreaves III CB, Florida
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DeForest Buckner DE, Oregon
10. New York Giants - Mackensie Alexander CB, Clemson
11. Chicago Bears - Noah Spence LB, Eastern Kentucky
12. New Orleans Saints - Shaq Lawson DE, Clemson
13. Philadelphia Eagles - Taylor Decker OT, Ohio State
14. Oakland Raiders - Reggie Ragland LB, Alabama
15. Los Angeles Rams - Laquon Treadwell WR, Ole Miss
16. Detroit Lions - Jack Conklin OT, Michigan State
17. Atlanta Falcons - Corey Coleman WR, Baylor
18. Indianapolis Colts - Ezekiel Elliott RB, Ohio State
19. Buffalo Bills - A'Shawn Robinson DT, Alabama
20. New York Jets - Leonard Floyd LB, Georgia
21. Washington Redskins - Andrew Billings DT, Baylor
22. Houston Texans - Paxton Lynch QB, Memphis
23. Minnesota Vikings - Jason Spriggs OT, Indiana
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Emmanuel Ogbah DE, Oklahoma State
25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Eli Apple CB, Ohio State
26. Seattle Seahawks - Shon Coleman OT, Auburn
27. Green Bay Packers - Sheldon Rankins DT, Louisville
28. Kansas City Chiefs - William Jackson III CB, Houston
29. Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Bullard DE, Florida
30. Carolina Panthers - Kevin Dodd DE, Clemson
31. Denver Broncos - Germain Ifedi OT, Texas A&M

I just finished my first post-combine mock. I excluded Jaylon Smith from this since it's impossible to determine who will even be interested in drafting him after the injury.

Eli Apple had a really good combine workout. Hopefully this doesn't push him out of our range. In this mock I didn't have that happening. A lot of the teams in front of Pittsburgh need defensive front-7 help, including New York and Cincinnati. The only team I could see reaching for Apple is Oakland. Atlanta really needs a pass rush and Minnesota is in the Tackle market right now. Some mocks I've seen have William Jackson III going over Fuller. I admittedly know little about him. His tape looked good enough for me to put him in the 1st round over Kendall Fuller.

Thoughts?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Tennessee Titans - Laremy Tunsil OT, Ole Miss
2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff QB, California
3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey DB, Florida State
4. Dallas Cowboys - Joey Bosa DE, Ohio State
5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Myles Jack LB, UCLA
6. Baltimore Ravens - Ronnie Stanley OT, Notre Dame
7. San Francisco 49ers - Carson Wentz QB, North Dakota State
8. Miami Dolphins - Vernon Hargreaves III CB, Florida
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DeForest Buckner DE, Oregon
10. New York Giants - Mackensie Alexander CB, Clemson
11. Chicago Bears - Noah Spence LB, Eastern Kentucky
12. New Orleans Saints - Shaq Lawson DE, Clemson
13. Philadelphia Eagles - Taylor Decker OT, Ohio State
14. Oakland Raiders - Reggie Ragland LB, Alabama
15. Los Angeles Rams - Laquon Treadwell WR, Ole Miss
16. Detroit Lions - Jack Conklin OT, Michigan State
17. Atlanta Falcons - Corey Coleman WR, Baylor
18. Indianapolis Colts - Ezekiel Elliott RB, Ohio State
19. Buffalo Bills - A'Shawn Robinson DT, Alabama
20. New York Jets - Leonard Floyd LB, Georgia
21. Washington Redskins - Andrew Billings DT, Baylor
22. Houston Texans - Paxton Lynch QB, Memphis
23. Minnesota Vikings - Jason Spriggs OT, Indiana
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Emmanuel Ogbah DE, Oklahoma State
25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Eli Apple CB, Ohio State
26. Seattle Seahawks - Shon Coleman OT, Auburn
27. Green Bay Packers - Sheldon Rankins DT, Louisville
28. Kansas City Chiefs - William Jackson III CB, Houston
29. Arizona Cardinals - Jonathan Bullard DE, Florida
30. Carolina Panthers - Kevin Dodd DE, Clemson
31. Denver Broncos - Germain Ifedi OT, Texas A&M

I just finished my first post-combine mock. I excluded Jaylon Smith from this since it's impossible to determine who will even be interested in drafting him after the injury.

Eli Apple had a really good combine workout. Hopefully this doesn't push him out of our range. In this mock I didn't have that happening. A lot of the teams in front of Pittsburgh need defensive front-7 help, including New York and Cincinnati. The only team I could see reaching for Apple is Oakland. Atlanta really needs a pass rush and Minnesota is in the Tackle market right now. Some mocks I've seen have William Jackson III going over Fuller. I admittedly know little about him. His tape looked good enough for me to put him in the 1st round over Kendall Fuller.

Thoughts?

Good job.

Overall...a lot of people have moved Apple and Jackson III up post combine. No Lee in the 1st rd...OSU LB ran fast at the combine...really fits a 4-3 scheme but can move inside in a 3-4...speed and size to defend TEs/RBsin space...I think he's going top 20. Darron Reed...slips to 2nd? Dodd 30?

Falcon pick...definitely they need to upgrade WR2. I can see them going this route if they don't get anyone in FA....I'm still mocking a DE to ATL...Dodd would be hard for be to leave on the board.

Steelers pick...I see OAK being a big player for Weddle in FA and CB or edge rusher in the draft. I think they might make the move for the big CB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hi-res-93fa7432002959f9b4318a885f6412ea_crop_north.jpg

William Jackson III
, CB Houston
6'0" 189lbs
40 time: 4.37s
Rd Projection: 1-2

STRENGTHS
Good height and length. Stays low from a smooth backpedal. Plays with capable makeup speed when receivers get separation. Can click and close on throws in front of him with acceleration and has makeup speed deep. Possesses ball skills that defensive back coaches covet. Gets his head around to find ball on downfield throws and has excellent disruptive timing when attacking the throw. Instinctive and quick to diagnose and react to his keys. Allowed just 40 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed over last two years. Has feel for routes and will adjust coverage accordingly. Had three interceptions and scored two defensive touchdowns this season.

WEAKNESSES
Average play strength and isn't as physical from press coverage as he could be. Might be knocked around by big NFL receivers if he's asked to press. Will get upright when transitioning from backpedal. Shows momentary delay when opening to run which can put him behind in footrace with speedy receivers. Tape shows instance of him getting knocked off balance at the top of the route. Will get hung up on perimeter blocks and isn't aggressive in run support. Too willing to run around block in support against screens. Was flagged seven times for 73 yards.

NFL COMPARISON
Phillip Gaines, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters

After destroying the combine this kid has shot up draft boards. He's definitely worthy of consideration at 25th overall. He has great length, aggressive ball skills, impressive route coverage, and excels in press coverage. He needs some work on technique (backpedaling, tackling, hip movement) but its all coachable. Bottom line is he is a top 5 CB in this draft. There's no denying his talent. He would make a great addition to this struggling secondary.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 95616

William Jackson III
, CB Houston
6'0" 189lbs
40 time: 4.37s
Rd Projection: 1-2

STRENGTHS
Good height and length. Stays low from a smooth backpedal. Plays with capable makeup speed when receivers get separation. Can click and close on throws in front of him with acceleration and has makeup speed deep. Possesses ball skills that defensive back coaches covet. Gets his head around to find ball on downfield throws and has excellent disruptive timing when attacking the throw. Instinctive and quick to diagnose and react to his keys. Allowed just 40 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed over last two years. Has feel for routes and will adjust coverage accordingly. Had three interceptions and scored two defensive touchdowns this season.

WEAKNESSES
Average play strength and isn't as physical from press coverage as he could be. Might be knocked around by big NFL receivers if he's asked to press. Will get upright when transitioning from backpedal. Shows momentary delay when opening to run which can put him behind in footrace with speedy receivers. Tape shows instance of him getting knocked off balance at the top of the route. Will get hung up on perimeter blocks and isn't aggressive in run support. Too willing to run around block in support against screens. Was flagged seven times for 73 yards.

NFL COMPARISON
Phillip Gaines, Kevin Johnson, Marcus Peters

After destroying the combine this kid has shot up draft boards. He's definitely worthy of consideration at 25th overall. He has great length, aggressive ball skills, impressive route coverage, and excels in press coverage. He needs some work on technique (backpedaling, tackling, hip movement) but its all coachable. Bottom line is he is a top 5 CB in this draft. There's no denying his talent. He would make a great addition to this struggling secondary.
I really like this kid. He might make the most sense for us given our position in the draft. His style of play fits perfectly as well. I'm taking him at 25 if he's there.