• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job.

Overall...a lot of people have moved Apple and Jackson III up post combine. No Lee in the 1st rd...OSU LB ran fast at the combine...really fits a 4-3 scheme but can move inside in a 3-4...speed and size to defend TEs/RBsin space...I think he's going top 20. Darron Reed...slips to 2nd? Dodd 30?

Falcon pick...definitely they need to upgrade WR2. I can see them going this route if they don't get anyone in FA....I'm still mocking a DE to ATL...Dodd would be hard for be to leave on the board.

Steelers pick...I see OAK being a big player for Weddle in FA and CB or edge rusher in the draft. I think they might make the move for the big CB.
I had Lee going to Miami originally, but changed the pick and I guess I just lost him. That wasn't intentional. :L

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like this kid. He might make the most sense for us given our position in the draft. His style of play fits perfectly as well. I'm taking him at 25 if he's there.

I'm still BPA, but with his combine time he might represent BPA @ 25.

For the 1st time since '97...it's starting to look as if PIT might actually take a CB...a lot of us feel they would have taken Marcus Peters LY.

Even if Gay signed to a 3 yr deal...this draft pick could see time in DIME this season and if he's ready to take over outside in '17, they can move on from Gay or make him the 2nd inside defender.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Lee going to Miami originally, but changed the pick and I guess I just lost him. That wasn't intentional. :L

Gotcha...he's probably freaking out over your mock...lol

I wouldn't change my mock from Tunsil, but I really think it makes sense for TN to spend some of that $50m in cap and go after Beachum or another vet LT and a C in FA...then use #1 in this draft on Ramsey...coupled with the trade for Murray...that would be 4 positions filled with quality talent.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha...he's probably freaking out over your mock...lol

I wouldn't change my mock from Tunsil, but I really think it makes sense for TN to spend some of that $50m in cap and go after Beachum or another vet LT and a C in FA...then use #1 in this draft on Ramsey...coupled with the trade for Murray...that would be 4 positions filled with quality talent.
This makes the most sense for TEN. Would be the best way for them to approach it & get the most in return. But for whatever reason, the popular vote still seems to be TEN taking Tunsil.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes the most sense for TEN. Would be the best way for them to approach it & get the most in return. But for whatever reason, the popular vote still seems to be TEN taking Tunsil.

Yep...I think Tunsil is going #1 to TN as well....for a while there I thought they were going to be in the running for Gay, but he's reportedly signed...3 yrs no other details yet.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still BPA, but with his combine time he might represent BPA @ 25.

For the 1st time since '97...it's starting to look as if PIT might actually take a CB...a lot of us feel they would have taken Marcus Peters LY.

Even if Gay signed to a 3 yr deal...this draft pick could see time in DIME this season and if he's ready to take over outside in '17, they can move on from Gay or make him the 2nd inside defender.
and look what marcus peters did, we took him in the mock last year, and we were right, best corner in that draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first round BPA IMHO
Definitely. After the first day of FA the Steelers can open up their draft boards a little more. But trading back would be a great move.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think BPA is probably going to be Eli Apple, William Jackson 3, or a DL.

Assuming McLendon will be lost to FA or even if he's not...I like Javon Hargrave, NT So Car St. in the 4th...maybe he last til the 7th...geeze... those missing 5th and 6th rounders could hurt this year with all this DEF depth.

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we trading Suisham? I think Boswell is the guy moving forward, right?

old1r1sh

Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JaylonNFL.jpg

Jaylon Smith LB, Notre Dame
6'2" 223 lbs.

Summary:
STRENGTHS
He is a greased up athlete with natural twitch and flexibility, showing balance, burst and excellent speed in pursuit. Scouts are enthralled with Smith's explosiveness and it isn't difficult to understand why. He reads plays quickly and keeps his eyes glued on the ball to collect himself in space and burst toward the ballcarrier with excellent closing speed. Shows tremendous secondary quickness to unhook himself from blocks and make up ground in a flash. He might be the nation's most forceful tackler, generating incredible power to knock ballcarriers back. Smith is every bit as fast and fluid as he is powerful, however, slipping by (or leaping over) would-be blockers in the running game and dropping effectively in coverage. It is the ability to play back in coverage and rush the passer that makes Smith such an exciting prospect, as proponents of the 4-3 and 3-4, alike, will see him as a true three down defender.

WEAKNESSES
Smith lacks elite take-on strength for the position and can be late to stack-and-shed. Will take some false steps and needs to add a dash of discipline to his playing recipe. Needs to tweak his strike zone and tackling mechanics, preferring to hug-and-slam instead of spearing and driving. Needs to do a better job finding the ball in coverage once his back is turned to the quarterback. Suffered a devastating left knee injury in his final collegiate contest that required surgery (Jan. 2016) to repair a torn ACL and LCL.

Conclusion:
I haven't been able to make my mind up on who we should be taking at 1.25, assuming we don't trade down. The recent moves the Steelers have made make it look more like a BPA strategy is most pertinent. Re-signing Will Gay makes the secondary look better, and Ramon Foster keeps our offensive line in tact. This draft is deep on the defensive side of the ball. Guys like Fuller from VT will be there in the 2nd round. Assuming we don't sign Weddle, safety is available in the later rounds, or possibly high 2nd if we trade. But we don't have a glaring need in my view. Our secondary improved late in the season, and most of the issue was Antwon Blake.

So who will be the best player available? Jaylon Smith's injury may drop him out of the first round entirely. I obviously wouldn't draft him if the knee is so serious that he is unlikely to ever play again, but if he only had to sit for a year he's worth it. He's a top 5 prospect without the injury. He could play any Linebacker position there is. Most linebackers drafted by the Steelers sit for a year anyway. I keep saying "I'm taking him" about a lot of these prospects, but I've decided who my best-case-scenario is and it's Jaylon Smith.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 96665

6'2" 223 lbs.

Summary:
STRENGTHS
He is a greased up athlete with natural twitch and flexibility, showing balance, burst and excellent speed in pursuit. Scouts are enthralled with Smith's explosiveness and it isn't difficult to understand why. He reads plays quickly and keeps his eyes glued on the ball to collect himself in space and burst toward the ballcarrier with excellent closing speed. Shows tremendous secondary quickness to unhook himself from blocks and make up ground in a flash. He might be the nation's most forceful tackler, generating incredible power to knock ballcarriers back. Smith is every bit as fast and fluid as he is powerful, however, slipping by (or leaping over) would-be blockers in the running game and dropping effectively in coverage. It is the ability to play back in coverage and rush the passer that makes Smith such an exciting prospect, as proponents of the 4-3 and 3-4, alike, will see him as a true three down defender.

WEAKNESSES
Smith lacks elite take-on strength for the position and can be late to stack-and-shed. Will take some false steps and needs to add a dash of discipline to his playing recipe. Needs to tweak his strike zone and tackling mechanics, preferring to hug-and-slam instead of spearing and driving. Needs to do a better job finding the ball in coverage once his back is turned to the quarterback. Suffered a devastating left knee injury in his final collegiate contest that required surgery (Jan. 2016) to repair a torn ACL and LCL.

Conclusion:
I haven't been able to make my mind up on who we should be taking at 1.25, assuming we don't trade down. The recent moves the Steelers have made make it look more like a BPA strategy is most pertinent. Re-signing Will Gay makes the secondary look better, and Ramon Foster keeps our offensive line in tact. This draft is deep on the defensive side of the ball. Guys like Fuller from VT will be there in the 2nd round. Assuming we don't sign Weddle, safety is available in the later rounds, or possibly high 2nd if we trade. But we don't have a glaring need in my view. Our secondary improved late in the season, and most of the issue was Antwon Blake.

So who will be the best player available? Jaylon Smith's injury may drop him out of the first round entirely. I obviously wouldn't draft him if the knee is so serious that he is unlikely to ever play again, but if he only had to sit for a year he's worth it. He's a top 5 prospect without the injury. He could play any Linebacker position there is. Most linebackers drafted by the Steelers sit for a year anyway. I keep saying "I'm taking him" about a lot of these prospects, but I've decided who my best-case-scenario is and it's Jaylon Smith.

I didn't update my mock since the FA signings...initially I had a G at 25 thinking Foster would bolt...now I'm not sure either, but I'll start to re calibrate after FA.

Weddle is staying out west I think...OAK is on a spending spree and they have him on their radar I hear.

Smith...well, with his knee we know he won't be BPA at 25. With multiple teams saying the knee is very serious and we're looking at '17 before this kid sees the field...25 is too high to chance imo.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 96665

6'2" 223 lbs.

Summary:
STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

Conclusion:

rumor has it he may go undrafted he could barely stand to get on a scale at the combine, wouldnt touch him in the first 3-4 rounds.........and no ones gonna trade for suisham,

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rumor has it he may go undrafted he could barely stand to get on a scale at the combine, wouldnt touch him in the first 3-4 rounds.........and no ones gonna trade for suisham,

Some mixed reports have come out actually. There is a thought out there that he will play again...this reminds me a lot of Sean Spence in terms of the injury...he was a 3rd rd pick of PIT, blew out his knee badly in camp/or preseason game and took 2 yrs to make it back, but the team stuck with him...he's turned out to be a good depth player.

One of the playoff caliber teams that can afford to burn a pick will probably take him...maybe bottom of the 2nd at the earliest, but I tend to agree with round 3 to 4.

edited to note I forgot I was on a Steeler board...you know all about Spence...sorry about that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert at Baylor Pro Day to see Andrew Billings in person

What are the chances that he falls to 25??? If they somehow landed him, they would have to shift their def schemes to focus on the NT/DT a little more. There's no way this caliber of player is only going to get used ~30% of snaps. It would need to be much higher! Kid is a beast.

The position...I was in a pretty spirited debate a couple of weeks ago (whenever the combine was) about DT/NT @ 25...I was the pro in general think DT might be BPA anyway, but strongly pro if McL was not retained. The con argument of course was snap count. Keep McL and invest the pick in DE, CB, or OG if Foster left...he mentioned some NT that could be had later in the draft.

At the end of the day I agreed if Foster left OG should be the pick at 25, but aside from that I stayed in my corner.

Billings...maybe not the athlete that Poe was coming out, but damn close...the best I can tell, he's not a Big Snack and he's not a Poe, but somewhere in the middle...can handle the dbl, but he's quicker than your avg NT his size...I'm all in!

Availability...imo it's very possible, not sure about probable. In my 1st mock attempt I had him going 12 to NO...but post combine I'm not so sure about that.

In general I think Ashawn Robinson and Reed have DE/DT type flexibility and might go top 15 to top 20...most people seem to feel like the true DEs Bosa, Buckner, Nkemdiche, and Lawson are top 20...LBs...Jack, Ragland, Lee top 20...QB, Wentz, Goff top 20, CB/DB...Ramsey, Hargreaves seem to be top 15...RB, Elliott...so if you continue that exercise you can make a case Billings could be on the board @ 25...30-35% chance maybe...and I'm guessing, but it could be higher depends on where guys like Apple, Dodd, Butler...do 3 QBs go top 20?

Snap count...Because he's quick enough and strong enough to beat most C, OGs will have to pay close attention to him, he can be a factor in pass rush, even just caving the pocket...he can be a 3 down player imo. But I would still take him if he's not.

Apple or Jackson3 or any other CB taken at 25 imo is going to be no better than CB4 so the snap count is not going to be a whole lot higher.

I could still go CB @ 25, but I like the DL big.