• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I relate this back to the Mean Joe pick. I don't need to be excited about the pick, I need him to perform.

Also, fans have been asking for the Steelers to pick a CB early for a really long time. I think Burns' value was best suited for the early 2nd round. I don't think this is the biggest reach of the 1st round, and I think he could prove everyone wrong. It isn't sexy, but the Steelers have never drafted sexy.
I agree. IMO it wasn't the right pick, but it wasn't terrible by any means.

My biggest issue is, why didn’t they trade back? I doubt Burns was in high demand. There were 5-6 better value picks available which is dumbfounding. It’s just….hard to believe they didn’t trade back.

Hence why I think this was a complete panic move.

Many, if not all of us were convinced that Eli Apple was a terrible fit for the Steelers because of many different reasons. Mainly because he wasn't a zone scheme player. Enter Artie Burns. He's basically the B-version of Eli Apple. Could be the same quality, but hardly anybody in the business considered him a 1st round talent. Regardless the same arguments are valid. He's a better fit in a press-man coverage scheme. So why would the Steelers think this kid was a good pick??? I already read that PFF only graded him above-average 3x last season but overall finished as a negative graded player. Yuck.

I could kick & scream about it all night, but it doesn't change anything. I'll get back to my optimistic ways at some point lol. ATL can attest to that. Like I said before, I really hope I'm wrong about Burns.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Artie Burns is a good kid with a lot of talent. You're gonna get 100% from this kid. It's hardly the biggest reach of the 1st round.
totally disagree, besides the 49ers pick at 28 , this was the worst pick of the night

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really don't know how to be excited about Artie Burns... I hope I'm wrong but that was a bad reach in the 1st round. They could have traded back and got Artie Burns if that was really the guy they wanted. This looks like a panic move to me.

No matter which way you cut this, this pick has bad value. Burns will MAYBE have a shot at challenging Cockrell for the starting position, but will likely only be a rotational player. I have no clue why they passed on Robinson, Billings & Reed who would have all been year 1 starters. Even if they were only on the field for 30% of the time it will still have a better impact than what they will get from Artie Burns.

I really do hope that I'm wrong.
or alexander, fuller, etc......so mnay more options

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard about Artie he is very fast, has mad ball skills (which we all know our d-backs can't catch a cold), but his coverage skills have something to be desired.

I don't understand this pick, like a few over the last 10 years. It's a pick that no one saw, or predicted, Pittsburgh just darted in and grabbed him leaving everyone scratching their heads.....
But that is why they are the paid professionals at this and we are not.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the corners started getting plucked I had my fingers crossed that we would trade down. Of course, they didn't. I don't hate the Burns pick but I don't like it. You're a contender with big holes in the secondary, you need someone that can come in day one and be better than your other options. Vonn Bell would have been a reach too but at least he could have walked in as a potential starter.

As for them not trading down... maybe it wasn't a panic move? Maybe this was their guy? If that's the case could they have traded down and definitely got him later? I don't know. I would also keep in mind that there seems to be a disconnect between the draft expert community and the scouting teams actually do in a lot of cases. Maybe Burns (and some of the other "reaches" in the first) aren't as out of left field as the pre-draft shows and mocks have lead us to believe.

Not a fan of the pick. Concerned based on what I know. But I do trust the Steelers in the first round. Now the second and third rounds are a different story...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I know nothing about the player they picked can't really say much except why didn't they trade back and pick up another pick? I highly doubt he would have been gone the next few picks.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more curious as to why they didn't move up to be honest. Were they afraid doing so would cost them the next Dri Archer in the third round? Ugh.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more curious as to why they didn't move up to be honest. Were they afraid doing so would cost them the next Dri Archer in the third round? Ugh.
True with the run on WR's right before the Bengals drafted I can guarantee one of those teams would have dealt with the Steelers knowing the Bengals would not have taken a WR at all with all the great value picks remaining.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. IMO it wasn't the right pick, but it wasn't terrible by any means.

My biggest issue is, why didn’t they trade back? I doubt Burns was in high demand. There were 5-6 better value picks available which is dumbfounding. It’s just….hard to believe they didn’t trade back.

Hence why I think this was a complete panic move.

Many, if not all of us were convinced that Eli Apple was a terrible fit for the Steelers because of many different reasons. Mainly because he wasn't a zone scheme player. Enter Artie Burns. He's basically the B-version of Eli Apple. Could be the same quality, but hardly anybody in the business considered him a 1st round talent. Regardless the same arguments are valid. He's a better fit in a press-man coverage scheme. So why would the Steelers think this kid was a good pick??? I already read that PFF only graded him above-average 3x last season but overall finished as a negative graded player. Yuck.

I could kick & scream about it all night, but it doesn't change anything. I'll get back to my optimistic ways at some point lol. ATL can attest to that. Like I said before, I really hope I'm wrong about Burns.

Obviously not my choice, but I'm okay with the pick.

Here's why...if we think we know anything...based on them leaving Billings on the board...the back 4 was clearly the top priority. Both S connected with PIT were already off the board and 4 CBs had already come off the board, and I can imagine, at least another 3 or 4 will have come off the board before 58.

idk how much separation there is between Burns and guys like Alexander, Howard, Fuller, etc., but as mentioned, most likely all of them would have been gone at 58.

On Burns...if you've heard the real estate term this house has "good bones", meaning it has good infrastructure features like good ceiling height, big windows, etc. Burns has the goods the Steelers want...he has the length, size and most importantly...speed...they feel like they can coach him up from there.

ST player this season...depending on his development...maybe some dime work.

Just looking at the pick LY and this year...the Steelers are changing up a tad...they used to be very tape heavy...now they appear to want better athletes on DEF and not as concerned about the tape.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For WJ3?

I'm not sure he had enough upside over Burns to justify giving up a pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Vonn Bell so bad in the second it hurts.

And it isn't going to happen.

I hear ya.

Looking at the S on the board now...yeah Bell will be gone at 58, but I'm okay with most of these kids...the guy I would prefer not to have @ 58 is Kearse...foot speed is a big concern with me.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not my choice, but I'm okay with the pick.

Here's why...if we think we know anything...based on them leaving Billings on the board...the back 4 was clearly the top priority. Both S connected with PIT were already off the board and 4 CBs had already come off the board, and I can imagine, at least another 3 or 4 will have come off the board before 58.

idk how much separation there is between Burns and guys like Alexander, Howard, Fuller, etc., but as mentioned, most likely all of them would have been gone at 58.

On Burns...if you've heard the real estate term this house has "good bones", meaning it has good infrastructure features like good ceiling height, big windows, etc. Burns has the goods the Steelers want...he has the length, size and most importantly...speed...they feel like they can coach him up from there.

ST player this season...depending on his development...maybe some dime work.

Just looking at the pick LY and this year...the Steelers are changing up a tad...they used to be very tape heavy...now they appear to want better athletes on DEF and not as concerned about the tape.

Makes sense, like I said earlier I didn't know much about this guy, so staying pat and taking who they thought was the best available at their highest need.
As I thought about it more I bet they tried to drop back but didn't have any takers, for instance, why would Denver deal with them because they know the Steelers weren't drafting a QB so take a lower pick and give up less.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, like I said earlier I didn't know much about this guy, so staying pat and taking who they thought was the best available at their highest need.
As I thought about it more I bet they tried to drop back but didn't have any takers, for instance, why would Denver deal with them because they know the Steelers weren't drafting a QB so take a lower pick and give up less.

Trade back...DEN seemingly was the only suitor and they probably were trying to get in front of SF who traded back into the 1st round....not to get a OG I'm sure.

KC...smart move imo...now in position to maybe get Jack with the extra 2nd rd pick.

58...boy...I think S are going to roll off, I'm still bullish on Billings and or Hargrave but if Bell is there, no brainer. I'm curious to see where Spence goes or how they would respond if he's on the board.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DT's. Billings, Robinson and Hargrave right now are my preference.

Ramsey and Bell and Alexander as DB's come in a strong second though. Hope one will still be available.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The DT's. Billings, Robinson and Hargrave right now are my preference.

Ramsey and Bell and Alexander as DB's come in a strong second though. Hope one will still be available.

I'm with you, I like Reed a little better than Robinson, but I'm thinking they will continue to chase the back end players @ 58 unless every one of note is gone.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya.

Looking at the S on the board now...yeah Bell will be gone at 58, but I'm okay with most of these kids...the guy I would prefer not to have @ 58 is Kearse...foot speed is a big concern with me.
I like the other Clemson kid, Green. From what I've seen anyway. I like Bell, Green, and Cash. Cash probably has a chance to be there. I really like Bell over the rest though. His cover skills in this pass happy league could be a big get.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's more sarcasm because I'm still mad about the wasted pick on Archer. I wasn't being serious.

I can handle that one...water under the bridge already...losing the 5th rounder for a guy that's not even playing in PIT irks me more.