• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Copa America

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the result we all should have expected considering our available roster and the opponent. I really would have liked to see us get a goal. 3-1 or even 4-1 would have left a much better taste in my mouth.
Not even one shot on goal. Not one.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring more to the reffing in the Ecuador game, and then Wood getting a yellow card when the ball should've never been in play to begin with.

Reffing was terrible that game.
But the USA was outclassed tonight. Even if we were at full strength, Argentina is in a golden age right now. Their arsenal of weapons, especially on offense, is just ridiculous. They're the best team in the world and goes to show how much farther USA soccer needs to go before they can consistently compete against the worlds better teams. We're no longer a doormat, and MLS here to stay and will help alot, but soo much more work to do.
Overall, I think we had a good tourney this time, and the heats off Klins for a while.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the USA was outclassed tonight. Even if we were at full strength, Argentina is in a golden age right now. Their arsenal of weapons, especially on offense, is just ridiculous. They're the best team in the world and goes to show how much farther USA soccer needs to go before they can consistently compete against the worlds better teams. We're no longer a doormat, and MLS here to stay and will help alot, but soo much more work to do.
Overall, I think we had a good tourney this time, and the heats off Klins for a while.

If we're full strength I just think the result looks better.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This might be worth it's own thread. I think US Soccer needs some sort of plan with player development and how to enhance the MLS product. Our college program structure plays a big role in this, which isn't optimal

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're full strength I just think the result looks better.

It probably would of bought us a few more minutes of possession, but don't think it would of impacted the outcome more than besides one less goal by Argentina or 1 goal by us. Either way, beating Argentina tonight would of still been one of the biggest upsets in soccer in quite a while.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be worth it's own thread. I think US Soccer needs some sort of plan with player development and how to enhance the MLS product. Our college program structure plays a big role in this, which isn't optimal

It's tough because the college system is still going to be there for the US. In this south american and european countries, the youth team development system is ridiculously superior.
But MLS is such a great thing for development of young US talent so it will continue to pay off when it comes to grooming the USMNT talent. Given this countries population and youth soccer culture, and now MLS establishing itself, things are great for the future. We're still playing catchup with the major power countries, but MLS is really going to help in that department each year.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably would of bought us a few more minutes of possession, but don't think it would of impacted the outcome more than besides one less goal by Argentina or 1 goal by us. Either way, beating Argentina tonight would of still been one of the biggest upsets in soccer in quite a while.

I don't think the first goal would have happened with a stronger midfield, the second goal was a foul on Wondo who should have never been in the game to begin with, and the fourth goal was a dumb turnover in the middle of the field and they ran down our throat. I'd guess they still get one of those, but then you're looking at a 2-0 game.

Lack of offensive chances was definitely concerning. Wood would have helped, and Beckerman is like negative offense. Wondo and Beckerman was a deplorably cautious approach by Jurgen.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ClhhSUTUkAE3Fdk.jpg

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that there is a definite advantag in a country like Argentina. Kids are playing from the get go. You dont have dad disparaging the game as something that is feminine. As popular as the game has become in the USA there are plenty of people who fight it tooth and nail. I guess it's just a matter of time.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that there is a definite advantag in a country like Argentina. Kids are playing from the get go. You dont have dad disparaging the game as something that is feminine. As popular as the game has become in the USA there are plenty of people who fight it tooth and nail. I guess it's just a matter of time.

I'm 29 and started playing when I was 5. I started playing club as a U8 in 2nd grade. Soccer was hugely popular in Cincy when I was growing up. We should be seeing guys by now who have been immersed in soccer since they began walking. I think the issue we're seeing is with development from about 14-20 years old. If you don't live in a city, your high school and club programs are probably trash, and the way college works really handcuffs the development of players who are good enough to play on the U20s, U23s, and the USMNT

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the first goal would have happened with a stronger midfield, the second goal was a foul on Wondo who should have never been in the game to begin with, and the fourth goal was a dumb turnover in the middle of the field and they ran down our throat. I'd guess they still get one of those, but then you're looking at a 2-0 game.

Lack of offensive chances was definitely concerning. Wood would have helped, and Beckerman is like negative offense. Wondo and Beckerman was a deplorably cautious approach by Jurgen.

If we're full strength I think we lose 2-0 or 3-1.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Argentina is saying, "Thank goodness Jones, Bedoya and Wood were unable to play. Might have been a closer game." Sorry, not buying that narrative. There was not a line up or personnel in a US jersey that could have moved the needle tonight. Measuring stick game and the US had a ways to go before they belong on the pitch with a team of this caliber. Learn from it and grow.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 29 and started playing when I was 5. I started playing club as a U8 in 2nd grade. Soccer was hugely popular in Cincy when I was growing up. We should be seeing guys by now who have been immersed in soccer since they began walking. I think the issue we're seeing is with development from about 14-20 years old. If you don't live in a city, your high school and club programs are probably trash, and the way college works really handcuffs the development of players who are good enough to play on the U20s, U23s, and the USMNT

That's exactly it. In countries like Germany or Argentina, there are extremely well funded programs with top facilities designed specifically for developing the players showing the most talent in the country. The parents have no problems sending their kids off to live at this facilities throughout their teens. By the time their hitting 18, the cream has risen to the surface and the national teams have scores of well coached talent to pick from as their next potential stars and these players are already getting signed by the big clubs around the planet.

It's where USA will continue to suffer, but we're getting better.

I'm not too bummed about tonight. We take 3rd, and were in nice shape right now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Argentina is saying, "Thank goodness Jones, Bedoya and Wood were unable to play. Might have been a closer game." Sorry, not buying that narrative. There was not a line up or personnel in a US jersey that could have moved the needle tonight. Measuring stick game and the US had a ways to go before they belong on the pitch with a team of this caliber. Learn from it and grow.

Never said they would've won with those three. Said the result would've looked better.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where we lack the most is obviously the technical area. And ( with thr exeptionof Dempsey) the German born players seem light years ahead of everyone else. Just seems to me that the earlier you learn the better.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where we lack the most is obviously the technical area. And ( with thr exeptionof Dempsey) the German born players seem light years ahead of everyone else. Just seems to me that the earlier you learn the better.

One of the areas we've improved recently, and we're starting to see the difference even within our team. I'd like to see Green get involved again.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got in. Not surprised by the result at all but we couldn't get shot off all night? Seriously