• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 NFL Draft thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hundley/CLE...I agree on the player...imo not a whole lot of separation talent wise from Mariota. Both need to sit a year. I think Hoyer should be the short term QB...even if they just tagged or franchised him this yr.

STL/Scherff...Being projected as a G is pushing him down a little, I'm seeing mocks with him going to PIT @ 22 which would not bother me at all. If G makes sense for STL...I would grab him as well...paired with Robinson you'd have 2 young studs on the interior.

I think Hundley showed this past year that him in a pro system is just not a good fit at this time. They started out the season in a more pro style offense and ended up having to switch back to the zone read system because he was just failing so miserably. I think that should be a great showing of caution to teams drafting these guys coming from these type of systems that they just can't start day 1 and be successful. Guys like Andrew Luck though who have the football skills and come from a pro style offense can come in and be successful day 1. It is also why I think Winston if he can keep his head on straight can find success year 1 and be a very good starter for many years in this league. He needs to quit baseball though as it does sound like it is using his arm up way too much.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hundley showed this past year that him in a pro system is just not a good fit at this time. They started out the season in a more pro style offense and ended up having to switch back to the zone read system because he was just failing so miserably. I think that should be a great showing of caution to teams drafting these guys coming from these type of systems that they just can't start day 1 and be successful. Guys like Andrew Luck though who have the football skills and come from a pro style offense can come in and be successful day 1. It is also why I think Winston if he can keep his head on straight can find success year 1 and be a very good starter for many years in this league. He needs to quit baseball though as it does sound like it is using his arm up way too much.

Saw UCLA like 3 times LY so I can't push back on that, but I still don't see a huge difference between him and Mariota, or RG3, or Kaep, or (insert any other read option CFB QB)...both will need a yr to learn the pro system and another yr to get comfortable with what they are seeing...hopefully by year 3 you have a guy ready to take you to the postseason for several years to come.

Ex. If Geno hasn't gotten it by this season...he's probably never going to...whereas imo WAS wasted RG3's rookie yr allowing him to do what he did best even though it's not proven to work in the NFL long term. His outstanding physical talent got them to the playoffs, but it was fools gold. He'd be further along as a pro style QB, if he started out working in a pro set.

Luck...now I see why most GMs were calling him this once every 10 yr prospect...he's played like a young QB at times, but the learning curve has been far less steep for him...Winston...I won't put him in that camp because he's not as mature, but I agree...if he really wants to be a good pro...he has all the tools to do it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw UCLA like 3 times LY so I can't push back on that, but I still don't see a huge difference between him and Mariota, or RG3, or Kaep, or (insert any other read option CFB QB)...both will need a yr to learn the pro system and another yr to get comfortable with what they are seeing...hopefully by year 3 you have a guy ready to take you to the postseason for several years to come.

Ex. If Geno hasn't gotten it by this season...he's probably never going to...whereas imo WAS wasted RG3's rookie yr allowing him to do what he did best even though it's not proven to work in the NFL long term. His outstanding physical talent got them to the playoffs, but it was fools gold. He'd be further along as a pro style QB, if he started out working in a pro set.

Luck...now I see why most GMs were calling him this once every 10 yr prospect...he's played like a young QB at times, but the learning curve has been far less steep for him...Winston...I won't put him in that camp because he's not as mature, but I agree...if he really wants to be a good pro...he has all the tools to do it.

Exactly what I am saying...Until these GM's, Fan bases, and especially Owners learn that if you are going to take a read option college quarterback early on to be your franchise quarterback that you will have to exercise patience. Unfortunately our league is a win now league and these guys are not given the time to develop. Probably the one guy I have seen a team actually work hard to develop in one of these systems is that of Cam Newton. They have worked hard the last 2 years to get him into more of an NFL type offense and while he has struggled at times he has also worked to take his team to the playoffs the last 2 years and done somewhat decent once they got there.

I am one of the few that actually thinks RGIII can still be a good quarterback in this league. It is going to take a team though deciding to sit him for a year or two and tell him he has to go learn how to function like an NFL quarterback. The big issue will be can RGIII handle the fact that he will be demoted for a year and that he is going to have to learn to actually play this game with some intelligence instead of just pure athleticism. All the physical tools are there...can he have the mental part of the game catch up? I don't think any team will do this unfortunately and I don't think RGIII is humble enough to do this.

Now with Winston I agree he is not on the level of Luck when he was coming out of college because of all the Red Flags but all the physical tools are present, all the intelligence of the game is present. The only real question with him is the maturity in my opinion. If he can get that part of his life down then he is a guy that can have 15 years of success in this league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I am saying...Until these GM's, Fan bases, and especially Owners learn that if you are going to take a read option college quarterback early on to be your franchise quarterback that you will have to exercise patience. Unfortunately our league is a win now league and these guys are not given the time to develop. Probably the one guy I have seen a team actually work hard to develop in one of these systems is that of Cam Newton. They have worked hard the last 2 years to get him into more of an NFL type offense and while he has struggled at times he has also worked to take his team to the playoffs the last 2 years and done somewhat decent once they got there.

I am one of the few that actually thinks RGIII can still be a good quarterback in this league. It is going to take a team though deciding to sit him for a year or two and tell him he has to go learn how to function like an NFL quarterback. The big issue will be can RGIII handle the fact that he will be demoted for a year and that he is going to have to learn to actually play this game with some intelligence instead of just pure athleticism. All the physical tools are there...can he have the mental part of the game catch up? I don't think any team will do this unfortunately and I don't think RGIII is humble enough to do this.

Now with Winston I agree he is not on the level of Luck when he was coming out of college because of all the Red Flags but all the physical tools are present, all the intelligence of the game is present. The only real question with him is the maturity in my opinion. If he can get that part of his life down then he is a guy that can have 15 years of success in this league.

1st paragraph is bold is it in a nutshell...by-product of the by rookie salary deal...less $, but also fewer years to develop players and QB is one position that's worse off for it. Compounded by CFB going almost exclusively to read option to get the most productivity out of the position.

RG3...I'm in that small boat as well. At this point, I really don't think sitting him is the answer, but if his ego is too large to realize that he's not a very good player, and he needs to be broken down (military style) and rebuilt into a pro QB...he may never get it...a little humility would go a long way...that said...the DC market is anxious for a winner and they thought they had one...although they are very knowledgeable fans, it might be difficult for the average fan to watch him go backwards for another year.

Cam...yep...CAR would be silly to let him go now...he's on the cusp of being a complete QB.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes the hot commodity now, everyone wants him......

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most interesting prospect from Georgia Tech is probably Darren Waller. 6'6 238 pounds, ran a 4.46 40. Similar to Stephen Hill. A freak who needs to develop. Just another raw talent. I think he will have the same fate as Hill unless he lands in a good system and develops well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most interesting prospect from Georgia Tech is probably Darren Waller. 6'6 238 pounds, ran a 4.46 40. Similar to Stephen Hill. A freak who needs to develop. Just another raw talent. I think he will have the same fate as Hill unless he lands in a good system and develops well.

Hill went to the absolute worst situation possible...shame, he has great potential...as much or than Bebe imo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shaq Mason is a guy that interests me from Georgia Tech. The guy looks like somebody who with a little bit of coaching could stick in this league for years as at worst depth for the OL.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing Melvin Gordon dropping. Someone's going to get a steal!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way dude, hes charles 2.0

Charles ran in the 4.3's, Gordon did not. Albeit Charles' reason for dropping was some ridiculous knock on his size (yeah, he's so soft in between the tackles draftniks, smh) and fumbles.

Outside of that, they play very similarly to each other, stylistically.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even as a 2nd round pick, Id except a running back to be a solid starter in this day and age. If he is a slightly better Arian Foster then 2nd round sounds about right.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3