• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Offseason Thread

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orioles To Sign Hyun-soo Kim

The Orioles have agreed to sign Korean outfielder Hyun-soo Kim, Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun tweets. The deal, worth $7MM over two years (link), is pending a medical review. Kim, he adds (link), is on his way to Baltimore from Korea tonight.

Kim, who’ll soon turn 28, just reached free agent eligibility after nine seasons with the KBO’s Doosan Bears. He reportedly received offers from multiple MLB clubs, though Baltimore was the first club known to make an offer. The Orioles have long been said to be looking for one or more outfielders, and the $7MM commitment suggests that Kim will slot into at least a semi-regular role. Baltimore utilized a variety of platoon options in the corner last year, but Kim would “likely” feature in left if signed, Connolly said earlier this week.

Kim has put up a big .318/.406/.488 slash in the offensively robust KBO, and last year had his best-ever showing. Not only did he slash .326/.438/.541, but Kim also banged a career-best 28 home runs. But Kim’s real calling card is in the on-base arena. Unlike some other KBO players who have moved over to MLB (or have shown interest in doing so), Kim is a master of plate discipline. Last year, he struck out only 63 times while drawing 101 free passes.

At $3.5MM per season, Kim will be earning less than many had expected him to earlier this offseason. At one point,Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports suggested that Kim could get paid “toward the top of the next tier of corner outfielders” behind the four major free agents. Kim’s market didn’t unfold quite that way, but he did get a decent payday from Baltimore. If Kim succeeds over the next two seasons, he could see a salary increase as he tries the market again before his 30th birthday.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found an article about where the best fits for some of the remaining FA OF's. Here's the Orioles related parts.

Yoenis Cespedes

Best fit: Orioles

The Orioles could very well be losing a pivotal piece of their starting lineup, with their contract offer to Chris Davis reportedly off the table. If so, why not acquire a primary outfielder instead? Baltimore has already added Mark Trumbo, after all, and doesn't exactly need a first baseman.

Cespedes seems like the perfect fit for Camden Yards, which plays at 333 feet down the line, but just 364 feet in left-center. It just so happens, Cespedes likes to hit the baseball to left-center field.

That's not to mention that the smaller dimensions in left should fit nicely with Cespedes' defensive skill set as he ages and his range diminishes a bit. He'll be able to play shallow, where his cannon of an arm should shut down just about every opponents' running game.

Other fits: Rangers, Angels, Mets

Justin Upton

Best fit: Angels

Upton is a .375 hitter in his career at Angel Stadium, and he'd be just fine in the Halos' outfield next to Mike Trout and Kole Calhoun (not to mention right behind them in the lineup).

The power alley in left-center has long been a haven for right-handed power hitters like Upton. He's proven himself capable of posting gaudy slugging percentages in the past, and Angel Stadium owns the fifth-best park factor for slugging percentage among righty hitters since 2013.

Plus, with Upton's youth, the Angels could potentially backload a contract so that they pay him the big bucks once C.J. Wilson and Josh Hamilton are off the books. It remains to be seen whether the Halos would open up their checkbooks for an outfielder. But there's little doubt Upton would be a good match, if they do.

Other fits: Orioles, Rangers, Indians, Giants

Chris Davis

Best fit: Astros

OK, OK, Davis isn't really an outfielder. But sometimes he is. And we'll discuss him anyway, because his presence on the market represents one of those aforementioned dominoes. Davis is a notorious fly-ball hitter, and he notoriously hits fly balls to all parts of the yard. That would bode well for him in Houston, which plays extremely short down both lines.

Then theres Davis' skill set, which fits the Astros' style of play. That is to say: he homers, he strikes out, he walks.

Houston isn't exactly weak in any area right now, but it could use some help at both first and third base -- conveniently, two positions Davis is capable of playing. If the Astros are ready to push their chips to the center of the table and go for it, they have the money to sign Davis, given that the bulk of their roster is made up of homegrown talent that hasn't yet hit free agency.

Other fits: Orioles, Cardinals, Nationals

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cespedes is reportedly looking for a contract in the neighborhood of six years, $100 million. As for Gordon, he's already turned down a Royals offer that was reported to sit at four years, $48-52 million.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Orioles and White Sox are emerging as the favorites to land outfielder Yoenis Cespedes “for now,” reports MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez (via Twitter). According to Sanchez, the Giants and Angels are also “in the mix,” and the Rangers are monitoring the situation (though Sanchez’s implication seems to be that they’re relatively far removed from a serious pursuit).

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cespedes is reportedly looking for a contract in the neighborhood of six years, $100 million. As for Gordon, he's already turned down a Royals offer that was reported to sit at four years, $48-52 million.

At least the good thing about Cespedes is that if we sign him, we won't have to give up a draft pick for him. I'd still personally rather sign Upton but wouldn't be upset at all if we signed Cespedes.

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a way we can get BJ and Cespedes and a starting pitcher?

Our outfield would be stacked with BJ/Jones/Cespedes

If we can magically also resign Davis we would have:

Weiters/Davis/Schoop/Manny/Hardy/BJ/Jones/Cespedes with Trumbo as the DH

That is the type of lineup Buck would send to the WS.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a way we can get BJ and Cespedes and a starting pitcher?

Our outfield would be stacked with BJ/Jones/Cespedes

If we can magically also resign Davis we would have:

Weiters/Davis/Schoop/Manny/Hardy/BJ/Jones/Cespedes with Trumbo as the DH

That is the type of lineup Buck would send to the WS.

I think that with the signing of Kim, Dan would probably just look for one outfielder. I think there is room for a SP but I don't have a clue on how much we're willing to spend to get one. I certainly don't think that ponying up $20 million a year for Chen is a good idea at all. For that price, if someone wants him, they can have him.

I think that we called the bluff on Davis because nobody that I've heard of has offered anything like the 7/150 deal that we offered and Boras said he wanted 8/200, so the O's rightfully said no to that and walked away. They were stupid to turn that down in my opinion as I think that was a more than fair offer.

I have no idea what the lineup will look like at the moment. But I'll guess with a Cespedes or Upton addition and assuming Davis signs somewhere else, it'll look something like this (I'm going to be way off on this but giving it a shot nonetheless).

1. Machado 3B
2. Hardy SS
3. Jones CF
4. Cespedes/Upton LF
5. Trumbo 1B
6. Wieters C
7. Schoop 2B
8. Kim RF
9. Reimold DH

For arguments sake and say we sign both Upton/Cespedes and Davis (which I seriously doubt), here's my way out there guess:

1. Machado 3B
2. Hardy SS
3. Jones CF
4. Davis 1B
5. Cespedes/Upton LF
6. Trumbo DH
7. Wieters C
8. Schoop 2B
9. Kim RF

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that with the signing of Kim, Dan would probably just look for one outfielder. I think there is room for a SP but I don't have a clue on how much we're willing to spend to get one. I certainly don't think that ponying up $20 million a year for Chen is a good idea at all. For that price, if someone wants him, they can have him.

I think that we called the bluff on Davis because nobody that I've heard of has offered anything like the 7/150 deal that we offered and Boras said he wanted 8/200, so the O's rightfully said no to that and walked away. They were stupid to turn that down in my opinion as I think that was a more than fair offer.

I have no idea what the lineup will look like at the moment. But I'll guess with a Cespedes or Upton addition and assuming Davis signs somewhere else, it'll look something like this (I'm going to be way off on this but giving it a shot nonetheless).

1. Machado 3B
2. Hardy SS
3. Jones CF
4. Cespedes/Upton LF
5. Trumbo 1B
6. Wieters C
7. Schoop 2B
8. Kim RF
9. Reimold DH

For arguments sake and say we sign both Upton/Cespedes and Davis (which I seriously doubt), here's my way out there guess:

1. Machado 3B
2. Hardy SS
3. Jones CF
4. Davis 1B
5. Cespedes/Upton LF
6. Trumbo DH
7. Wieters C
8. Schoop 2B
9. Kim RF

this is will be taken my love of nolan . i'm not sold on kim after the wait of alvarez and UUUUUUUUU .i wouldn't be shocked if he starts in aaa .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is will be taken my love of nolan . i'm not sold on kim after the wait of alvarez and UUUUUUUUU .i wouldn't be shocked if he starts in aaa .

Doesn't Kim have to give permission though to go to AAA?

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have been impressed with what britton has been saying . it seems he wants to stay on so we need to talk to him about a multi year deal and see . i do hope it's not just the right thing to do . btw with the people we have at aaa i'm ok with not signing an innings eater . just take our top out of aa and aaa make them the 5th starter and move them if we need to . tilly , waldo , gonzo and gausman are the first 4 .

in other words if you bring 2 bats in do it over a waste of money for a waldo type .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have been impressed with what britton has been saying . it seems he wants to stay on so we need to talk to him about a multi year deal and see . i do hope it's not just the right thing to do . btw with the people we have at aaa i'm ok with not signing an innings eater . just take our top out of aa and aaa make them the 5th starter and move them if we need to . tilly , waldo , gonzo and gausman are the first 4 .

in other words if you bring 2 bats in do it over a waste of money for a waldo type .

With the remaining free agent pitching crop, I really don't see a lot of guys there that are much better than what we got. I figure that either we're going to have to put Bundy in the rotation and hope for the best or put Matusz or Gausman back as a starter and put Bundy in the pen to try to keep him fresh. But I can see Mike Wright getting another chance to start as well. No way we're getting Chen back nor would I want him back at his ridiculous asking price.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Machado 3B
2. Hardy SS
3. Jones CF
4. Cespedes/Upton LF
5. Trumbo 1B
6. Wieters C
7. Schoop 2B
8. Kim RF
9. Reimold DH

1. Machado 3B
2. Hardy SS
3. Jones CF
4. Davis 1B
5. Cespedes/Upton LF
6. Trumbo DH
7. Wieters C
8. Schoop 2B
9. Kim RF

Kim can't play right he'll be in left probably sharing time with Nolan.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is in the contract. He can only go down if he approves of it.
well the o's might have to eat the 7 million . i hope he does well just the odds are not with us . chen was the only one worth it so far .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Orioles and Mets are among the clubs holding discussions with free agent southpaw Antonio Bastardo, Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports on Twitter. Bastardo, 30, spent last year with the Pirates."

I wouldn't think reliever is high on their list for needs.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Orioles and Mets are among the clubs holding discussions with free agent southpaw Antonio Bastardo, Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports on Twitter. Bastardo, 30, spent last year with the Pirates."

I wouldn't think reliever is high on their list for needs.

I wouldn't either. You'd think that obtaining another OF and maybe another bat along with some starting pitching would be the primary focus.