• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-2016 Offseason Thread

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't either. You'd think that obtaining another OF and maybe another bat along with some starting pitching would be the primary focus.
this would mean tj or matusz is to be a starter . i would think the o's may just piggy back the fifth starter to get bundy innings up . everyone knows a 70 innings season wouldn't be good for bundy . as always alot would depend on starters going deep 7 innings and oday and britton sounds like a win to me and mix in givens and brach . atleast we have no boom in the pen .

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
55 days until opening game in pre season so they need to either sign davis by 45 days are just move on .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Royals have reached agreement on a deal that will bring star left fielder Alex Gordon back to Kansas City, MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports on Twitter. Gordon will receive a $72MM guarantee over a four-year term, according to reports from Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports"

Let's see if that sets the market for Upton and Cespedes.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like everyone is waiting to see what happens with Davis. I would say to hell with him and just go after either Upton or Cespedes before it's too late and we end up with nothing.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like everyone is waiting to see what happens with Davis. I would say to hell with him and just go after either Upton or Cespedes before it's too late and we end up with nothing.
it would be nice to get both at say same price as davis . i think we offered to much for davis yea when hot he is worth it but a cold davis sucks . adam dunn to me makes me afraid of a big power hitter .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be nice to get both at say same price as davis . i think we offered to much for davis yea when hot he is worth it but a cold davis sucks . adam dunn to me makes me afraid of a big power hitter .

I agree with that. The length of the contract is what I'm afraid of and that he's going to be worthless by the time it finishes up and we will still be paying him all that money.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. The length of the contract is what I'm afraid of and that he's going to be worthless by the time it finishes up and we will still be paying him all that money.
well i'm down with trey becoming our first baseman of the future . other teams are calling and asking about trey and walker so that is good . also seems harvey , bridwell and harvey are healthy hope they can stay that way . bundy is already talking about wanting to start . i would use him as a longman for 3 or 4 innings a week and build his workload up slowly . trey is working out with brady .

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"11:55am: There’s a deal in place for five years with a vesting option for a sixth, Buster Olney of ESPN.com tweets.

11:49am: The Marlins are “closing in” on a deal with free agent lefty Wei-Yin Chen, Jon Heyman reports on Twitter. Miami’s ongoing negotiations with the Scott Boras-represented veteran were reported earlier this morning by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports."

6 years! What that's nuts. Good luck to them.

mikeytheman247

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12:53pm: The Marlins have reportedly agreed to a deal with free agent lefty Wei-Yin Chen. He’ll receive a five-year, $80MM guarantee — just as MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes predicted before the offseason — but the deal negotiated between the Miami front office and the Boras Corporation is much more complicated than that.

WOW 80 million is a lot for Chen.

"As Chen turned down a qualifying offer at the start of the offseason, he’ll cost the Marlins their top non-protected pick, which will come in the second round. The club’s first selection, at seventh overall, is protected. The Orioles, meanwhile, will stand to pick up a compensation pick for losing Chen."

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i'm down with trey becoming our first baseman of the future . other teams are calling and asking about trey and walker so that is good . also seems harvey , bridwell and harvey are healthy hope they can stay that way . bundy is already talking about wanting to start . i would use him as a longman for 3 or 4 innings a week and build his workload up slowly . trey is working out with brady .

I'd like to see how Trumbo will work out at first honestly. Since OPACY is a hitters park, maybe he could show some of that 30 hr power he had in Anaheim a few years ago.

12:53pm: The Marlins have reportedly agreed to a deal with free agent lefty Wei-Yin Chen. He’ll receive a five-year, $80MM guarantee — just as MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes predicted before the offseason — but the deal negotiated between the Miami front office and the Boras Corporation is much more complicated than that.

"As Chen turned down a qualifying offer at the start of the offseason, he’ll cost the Marlins their top non-protected pick, which will come in the second round. The club’s first selection, at seventh overall, is protected. The Orioles, meanwhile, will stand to pick up a compensation pick for losing Chen."

Congrats to him. I don't think he is worth $16 million honestly. Good pitcher but the guy always got gassed and had an elevated pitch count by the fifth inning, so don't think you pay a guy like that $16 million a season IMO.

The Rockies have agreed to a three-year, $27.5MM deal with outfielder Gerardo Parra, according to Wilmer Reina of Diario la Verdad (Twitterlinks) and Jon Heyman (via Twitter). Parra himself has tweeted that he’s joining the Rockies.

Colorado will be a good place for him I think. Unfortunately, he just never showed the potential everyone was hoping for once he got traded to Baltimore during the trade deadline.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trumbo is a 1 year man . he can play of and dh so no biggy .

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad that he signed with an NL team instead of the Yankees... $80M is on the high side, but probably not unfair either.

(See also: FanGraphs article on the signing. Apparently, the contract is back-loaded, and there's an opt-out clause after the second year after paying him $28M.)

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
36 days until pitchers and caters report .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: O's extend offer to free agent Cespedes

The Baltimore Orioles have made a contract offer to free-agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, according to a report from MASN.
No further details were available on the offer, MASN reported, but sources told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick on Thursday that Baltimore has been discussing an offer for Cespedes for five years and somewhere in the range of $75-90 million.
The Orioles are looking elsewhere to boost their lineup while waiting for slugger Chris Davis to make a decision on where he'll play this year. They have offered Davis, a free-agent first baseman, in the vicinity of $150 million to return to Baltimore, yet Davis remains unsigned.
Sources familiar with the Orioles' hitter search said the club has grown increasingly more frustrated of late with Davis' demands and might be willing to head in a different direction.
"Cespedes is an option, but it has nothing to do with Chris," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said Thursday. "We've talked about all of them. We talked about [Justin] Upton, we talked about [Howie] Kendrick. We're more interested in, do we want to give up a draft pick or not? We've got seven picks in the first 100 this year."
Cespedes was acquired by the Mets at the July 31 trade deadline after a deal with the Milwaukee Brewers for Carlos Gomez fell through. Cespedes split time between center field and left field and helped revive a moribund Mets offense that had ranked last in the majors in most offensive categories upon his arrival.
Cespedes combined between the Detroit Tigers and Mets to reach career highs with 42 doubles and 35 homers while producing a .291 batting average.
He was slowed during the postseason by a left shoulder injury that required a cortisone injection before the World Series. Cespedes departed the final game of the World Series after painfully fouling a pitch off his left knee.

I'd say go for it. Hell, try to sign Upton as well if you can. That way you can get two players for probably a bit more than what they were originally going to pay for one.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess the offer to Cespedes got Davis and Boras' attention since he just signed a 7 year/$161 million deal.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess the offer to Cespedes got Davis and Boras' attention since he just signed a 7 year/$161 million deal.

Let's hope that Davis is actually worth the price tag... the team could have re-signed Chen while adding Cespedes with the same $161M, for example. (Of course, the Orioles can choose to sign both Davis *and* Cespedes... but I would be very surprised if Angelos agrees to do that.)

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis will receive a $17 million annual salary from 2016 to 2022 and will receive additional annual payments through 2037, when he will be 51, a source told Olney. There is no interest accrued on the deferrals.

So it sounds a lot like what the Mets did with Bobby Bonilla years ago.

Still wish that they could get Cespedes on that 5 year deal that was talked about yesterday along with a pitcher.

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis will receive a $17 million annual salary from 2016 to 2022 and will receive additional annual payments through 2037, when he will be 51, a source told Olney. There is no interest accrued on the deferrals.

So it sounds a lot like what the Mets did with Bobby Bonilla years ago.

Still wish that they could get Cespedes on that 5 year deal that was talked about yesterday along with a pitcher.
more ball players should do this . so they will win the lottery years after they are done and not broke . nolan will be our leadoff hitter .

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think it'll be Manny since he had quite a bit of success and gets on base a lot more than Nolan does.