• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Eastern Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing this. Not just from you, Bolts... a lot of people on here and elsewhere have said the same thing.

Makes no sense to me.

You are essentially saying that the Thunder and/or Clippers have a better chance of beating the Spurs AND the Warriors.... than the Cavs have of beating either the Spurs OR the Warriors???

gordon you're looking at this in a very situation. We're just comparing opponents for the Cavs. I'll say the same thing. If the Clips or Thunder somehow found a way to get past GSW or the Spurs, the Cavs will beat them. But I give the Cavs little chance against the Spurs or Dubs.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyway back to basketball that actually matters

"Regardless of what anybody else says of what we need and what we don't need and what we need to get better at -- us, internally, we know that we have to improve on a lot of things, but we've just got to handle business as professionals and continue to get better."

Irving was then asked if he meant that Cleveland was the team to beat in the East or in the entire league, over the likes of the Golden State Warriors and San Antonio Spurs.

"I feel like we're the team to beat," Irving said. "I mean, honestly, it's open season until we get into the playoffs, so I have a lot more confidence than I think anyone realizes in our team and what's going on in our locker room."

Playing through an illness Thursday, Irving scored 10 points on 4-for-14 shooting and had three assists for the Cavs, who lead the Eastern Conference by 2½ games over the Toronto Raptors.

Nevertheless, James generally agreed with Irving's statement.

"I think we're all confident in our ability when we're playing at a high level," James said. "We want to continue to use the games to continue to get better as the postseason starts if we can and make a run at it."

He then said he has "no idea" why the Cavs, despite their strong record, have the reputation of a struggling team.

"One thing for me, I can control what I can control, and that's just how well our team prepares and goes out every night," James said. "I don't think there's been too much bad. I think people get caught up on what's going on on the outside, and I focus on what needs to be done inside the locker room.

"For me, I don't get caught up in it too much, because I don't listen to it or hear or watch it. I don't really watch any sports with the volume up. I think how you want to approach it and how you want to be perceived or whatever the case may be, but we've had a damn good season to this point, and we want to continue that."

So, basically sports talk. Thanks for sharing that. It was definitely insightful.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want them to win a title- and now the playoffs are almost here. The Cavs lost in 6 games with half a roster. Its time for revenge. If they get to beat down the Heat and face the Celtics on the way- SO MUCH THE BETTER. It will be fun putting Spoelstra, Riley and the Heat outta the playoffs--- and plenty of fun to do the same to Ainge if the Celtics are good enough to face us. LIKE I said- I HOPE the HEat play the Cavs and dont choke in the first round.

The Cavs also played better defense last season. I'm telling you now, if that doesn't get shored up, you're going to see how important being a good defensive team (like last season) will be. Yeah, bring a faster offensive tempo, I'm sure the Dubs hate playing at that rate.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gordon you're looking at this in a very situation. We're just comparing opponents for the Cavs. I'll say the same thing. If the Clips or Thunder somehow found a way to get past GSW or the Spurs, the Cavs will beat them. But I give the Cavs little chance against the Spurs or Dubs.

I get that. Still... why would you be so sure that the Cavs would beat a team that just took out both the Spurs and Warriors? Not Spurs or Warriors as you said in your post. OKC/LAC would have to defeat both of them. Unless the Spurs and the Warriors both lose by the 2nd round to separate opponents... another seemingly unlikely scenario.

My point is that, imo, there are far fewer surprise outcomes to navigate on the path towards CLE beating SAS OR GSW in the Finals... than there are in CLE beating LAC or OKC in the Finals.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. Still... why would you be so sure that the Cavs would beat a team that just took out both the Spurs and Warriors? Not Spurs or Warriors as you said in your post. OKC/LAC would have to defeat both of them. Unless the Spurs and the Warriors both lose by the 2nd round to separate opponents... another seemingly unlikely scenario.

My point is that, imo, there are far fewer surprise outcomes to navigate on the path towards CLE beating SAS OR GSW in the Finals... than there are in CLE beating LAC or OKC in the Finals.

Injuries would be one thing. Like I said, this is the scenario that the Cavs would prefer. It's match ups. They match up perfectly with OKC and LAC.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs also played better defense last season. I'm telling you now, if that doesn't get shored up, you're going to see how important being a good defensive team (like last season) will be. Yeah, bring a faster offensive tempo, I'm sure the Dubs hate playing at that rate.

The problem for the Cavs (and really the rest of the league) is that both the Warriors and Spurs are not just better than they were last year, they are remarkably better than they were last year.

The Warriors are on pace to have the best record in league history and the Spurs are quietly (as usual) on pace for the 4th best record in league history.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries would be one thing. Like I said, this is the scenario that the Cavs would prefer. It's match ups. They match up perfectly with OKC and LAC.

True. I mean, of course I'd love to see the Clippers or Thunder make the Finals.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for the Cavs (and really the rest of the league) is that both the Warriors and Spurs are not just better than they were last year, they are remarkably better than they were last year.

The Warriors are on pace to have the best record in league history and the Spurs are quietly (as usual) on pace for the 4th best record in league history.

I agree. It's why I always chuckle every time Wiggy brings up the Cavs roster having another year together under their belts. The Dubs are hitting their prime and they're significantly improved from last year.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. It's why I always chuckle every time Wiggy brings up the Cavs roster having another year together under their belts. The Dubs are hitting their prime and they're significantly improved from last year.

I'll probably draw fire for this one... but I think the degree to which the Warriors are improved is being somewhat overestimated.

They've definitely improved. Especially Curry. His shooting this season is at video game level.

But I think the biggest difference is in perception. Last year they weren't taken nearly as seriously as they should have been, given their season-long performance. They didn't have any (recent) pedigree and people didn't trust them. People were picking the 7 seeded Spurs over them.

I mean, the Warriors did win 67 games last year. Their SRS this year and last year are essentially the same. Their offensive rating is a few points better and their defensive rating is a few points worse.

They seem much like the same, dominant team to me... just with more respect and swagger.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably draw fire for this one... but I think the degree to which the Warriors are improved is being somewhat overestimated.

They've definitely improved. Especially Curry. His shooting this season is at video game level.

But I think the biggest difference is in perception. Last year they weren't taken nearly as seriously as they should have been, given their season-long performance. They didn't have any (recent) pedigree and people didn't trust them. People were picking the 7 seeded Spurs over them.

I mean, the Warriors did win 67 games last year. Their SRS this year and last year are essentially the same. Their offensive rating is a few points better and their defensive rating is a few points worse.

They seem much like the same, dominant team to me... just with more respect and swagger.

And they are on pace to get to 73 or better this year. When you were a 67 win team and can improve by 6 or more games, that's remarkable. They look more dominant than they were last year. They are also much more confident than they were last year. Last year, they thought they might be the best team in the league. This year, they know they are the best team in the league.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just think its funny how upset you guys are about this. I make one single point about how Riley is going out a loser- and you guys get your panties in a bunch- start throwing personal insults, lol....i mean its hilarious....and the Heatles- i dont give a shit if a bunch of lightly educated nuts make fun of me on the internet-- i really dont- its just clear that when people start using personal insults- and start going awy from the point of the post- which OBVIOUSLY Trojan does in the post above- it means they REALLY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY. They are beat. its the oldest trick in the book- if you ave totally beaten fact wise - like Trojan and you guys are--- insult- and change the subject....i mean- its fine whatever --- but no one has- and no one can- refute my initial point- because its as 100% true now as when i said it the first time

Rileys ego is going to cost him the last few years of his career going out as a loser. The book is written on his career now. We are in the epilogue...

let me contemplate one of those passages/......

"After that loss the the Spurs- LeBron left Miami. Riley flew across country to beg him to stay to no avail. After that stretch in Miami Riley NEVER had any major success again. The Heat were 10th in the East the next season. The season after they won a first round series. The season after they lost in the first round. Pat Riley retired at the age of 73 and left the Heat a wreck with no draft picks and a lot of expensive veteran contracts for guys that were no longer in their prime. That rebuilding effort carries on to this very day."

:nono::thumb:

Actually, it's pretty obvious to every one that the only person upset is you because the Cavs just don't measure up.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's pretty obvious to every one that the only person upset is you because the Cavs just don't measure up.
a Lakers fan trying to say how a team doesnt "measure up"....i laughed so hard i just fell out of my chair. :dhd:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a Lakers fan trying to say how a team doesnt "measure up"....i laughed so hard i just fell out of my chair. :dhd:

That makes zero sense. So because one person's team sucks, it automatically means that he can't properly gauge how another team compares in terms of title contention? Good logic there. I seriously wonder how you're going to fair as a lawyer. Because your logic is seriously lacking.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes zero sense. So because one person's team sucks, it automatically means that he can't properly gauge how another team compares in terms of title contention? Good logic there. I seriously wonder how you're going to fair as a lawyer. Because your logic is seriously lacking.
"measure up"

AS LeBron said yesterday- the Cavs are the #1 seed in the East! They are the HEAVY HEAVY favorites to get back to the Finals where a team that was half decimated by injuries nearly won!

"not measuring up" - WTF does that even mean?

if the Cavs arent "measuring up" - I HATE to think what the Lakers are doing right now- or a dozen other teams that are garbage.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"measure up"

AS LeBron said yesterday- the Cavs are the #1 seed in the East! They are the HEAVY HEAVY favorites to get back to the Finals where a team that was half decimated by injuries nearly won!

"not measuring up" - WTF does that even mean?

if the Cavs arent "measuring up" - I HATE to think what the Lakers are doing right now- or a dozen other teams that are garbage.

Lakers fans admit that their team sucks. In terms of my team, I know full well they're not going to win a title.

The Warriors never went to the Finals before, it was new waters for them. Congrats on being the #1 seed in the East, I've said it all season long that the Cavs would go to the Finals based on having Lebron. Miami will make them sweat, but Cleveland will win based on just having Lebron.

But your goal is to win a title. Tell me how you compare to Golden St. or San Antonio. Because one of those teams will be who you need to beat.

LOL at almost winning. That participation trophy mind set. Miami blew a 20-point lead in game 2 of the '11 Finals. I guess if we didn't choke that lead away, we would've won the series after being up 2-0. I wonder if the league will give the Heat a participation trophy off that evidence alone.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing this. Not just from you, Bolts... a lot of people on here and elsewhere have said the same thing.

Makes no sense to me.

You are essentially saying that the Thunder and/or Clippers have a better chance of beating the Spurs AND the Warriors.... than the Cavs have of beating either the Spurs OR the Warriors???
Well tbh, I don't think any of the 3 teams(Thunder,Clippers,Cavs) have a shot of taking them down. It's mainly to say the only way I see Cleveland winning it all is if a miracle occurred in the WC semi's and WCF.
I will say the Cavs have a better chance of winning it all over those 2 because they'd have to probably go through BOTH the Spurs and Warriors THEN go through the Cavs, while the Cavs have an easier march to the finals and would just have to beat one of them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HATE to think what the Lakers are doing right now- or a dozen other teams that are garbage.

Oh, I don't know, stocking up on youthful talent, not drafting players like anthony bennett, and not giving below-than-average players $82m contracts.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Cousins suspended, it's an easy win for the Heat. Would have liked to get the Cousins/Whiteside matchup, but then the Kings might have won.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with Cousins suspended, it's an easy win for the Heat. Would have liked to get the Cousins/Whiteside matchup, but then the Kings might have won.
Wade is out for the game too

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

puh-lease, you already KNOW the Warriors can't hang playing that style of ball. the Cavs'll run 'em outta the building...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.