• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I too think he would be a nice addition. Although it seems most on this site don't find him much of an upgrade, someone please explain?

i'm assuming it would be his age, already declining defense, and the $12 million or so we'd have to pay through the end of his contract next season.

it's still a substantial upgrade over every outfield option outside of jones.

i guess i should qualify what i said about him being a nice addition with "if jack z doesn't give too much away."

i'm frightened.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Byrd:

From what I read was this: He has M's on his no-trade list. He would most likely waive it if Phils told him they were rebuilding and he didn't fit the long term plans. He has an extra year on his contract that he would most likely require a team to pick up to waive his no-trade. So it would be around $3M this year, $8M next, and $8M the following year at age 38. That is what M's would have to consider.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Byrd:

From what I read was this: He has M's on his no-trade list. He would most likely waive it if Phils told him they were rebuilding and he didn't fit the long term plans. He has an extra year on his contract that he would most likely require a team to pick up to waive his no-trade. So it would be around $3M this year, $8M next, and $8M the following year at age 38. That is what M's would have to consider.

pretty sure the 2016 year is an optional year depending on his number of plate appearances.

if he's sucking he won't make the quota, and if he's playing well, then he'd probably be worth that $8 million in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm assuming it would be his age, already declining defense, and the $12 million or so we'd have to pay through the end of his contract next season.

it's still a substantial upgrade over every outfield option outside of jones.

i guess i should qualify what i said about him being a nice addition with "if jack z doesn't give too much away."

i'm frightened.

I figured it would be his age as well, but his contract isn't for too long that it would concern me personally. I would rather give up minimal prospects for his services rather than the top prospects that it would take to land Price. Byrd can create victories for guy's like Felix and Kuma where Price would be in position to lose games like Felix and Kuma do now 0-1. A lineup like this one makes better sense to me:

1. Chavez RF
2. Jones CF
3. Cano 2B
4. Byrd LF
5. Seagar 3B
6. LoMo 1B
7. Montero DH
8. Zunino C
9. Bloomquist SS

Somehow I hope Ackley or Smoak are a part of the deal for Byrd in this process; Smoak is probably a pipe dream with Howard at 1st.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty sure the 2016 year is an optional year depending on his number of plate appearances.

The article I read said he would require it be guaranteed if traded.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I read said he would require it be guaranteed if traded.

i didn't realize that. that sours it quite a bit for me, then.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured it would be his age as well, but his contract isn't for too long that it would concern me personally. I would rather give up minimal prospects for his services rather than the top prospects that it would take to land Price. Byrd can create victories for guy's like Felix and Kuma where Price would be in position to lose games like Felix and Kuma do now 0-1. A lineup like this one makes better sense to me:

1. Chavez RF
2. Jones CF
3. Cano 2B
4. Byrd LF
5. Seagar 3B
6. LoMo 1B
7. Montero DH
8. Zunino C
9. Bloomquist SS

Somehow I hope Ackley or Smoak are a part of the deal for Byrd in this process; Smoak is probably a pipe dream with Howard at 1st.

I hope we can get them to throw in Dominic Brown n the deal as well shipping out Ackley and Ramirez.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. No where in there does it say he does not want to play for the Mariners. It says "he would not consider an extension with them at the time." Those are two entirely different things which is what I was referring to earlier.

When I hear.."Not going to extend with the Mariners but will for other teams" (paraphrased) I read "I would love to play for anyone but the Mariners"

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I hear.."Not going to extend with the Mariners but will for other teams" (paraphrased) I read "I would love to play for anyone but the Mariners"

i think the point coug was making is that the m's are contenders now. that changes things, especially for a great pitcher looking at a pitcher's paradise like safeco.

if they stay this way (and i'm not convinced they will), then maybe, just maybe, some strong bats who have avoided safeco might be enticed to come here in the coming off seasons.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the point coug was making is that the m's are contenders now. that changes things, especially for a great pitcher looking at a pitcher's paradise like safeco.

if they stay this way (and i'm not convinced they will), then maybe, just maybe, some strong bats who have avoided safeco might be enticed to come here in the coming off seasons.

Exactly. :suds:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't find a link or tweet but Divish was on KJR yesterday and said he heard that the Rays would have a scout in Tacoma tonight to watch Tajuan Walkers start.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I didn't see that tweet. Maybe they are there to watch Montero? :)

I still like Montero as our DH. Call me crazy, but he has the highest ceiling of our current DH types until maybe Choi is ready for the next move.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is right: Mariners must step up and trade for Tampa ace | FOX Sports on MSN

Another article regarding David Price. Suggests a package of Walker, Franklin and Peterson could get it done

No way would I send Walker, Franklin and Peterson for Price.

I'd be hesitant to even trade Walker, the only reason I would consider it is simply that there is no other young impact player (pitcher or hitter) that is available on the trade market other than David Price.

I'm not sure what MLB rules are on this, but under no circumstances would I trade for David Price unless there is some sort of preliminary contract agreement between Price and the Mariners beforehand. Sending arguably the top pitching prospect in MLB + Franklin and a mid level prospect is a lot and it would only be worth it if Price will be staying here. Sending a package centered around Walker would be completely asinine if it's just for a rental of David Price. Half of Price's value is in the fact that he's relatively young and still in his prime.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Chavez RF
2. Jones CF
3. Cano 2B
4. Byrd LF
5. Seagar 3B
6. LoMo 1B
7. Montero DH
8. Zunino C
9. Bloomquist SS

I'd rather have Brad Miller at SS. Since June 1st, Brad Miller has hit 5 HR 13 RBI .272/.328./.447 in 34 games. He appears to have turned the corner.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way would I send Walker, Franklin and Peterson for Price.

I'd be hesitant to even trade Walker, the only reason I would consider it is simply that there is no other young impact player (pitcher or hitter) that is available on the trade market other than David Price.

I'm not sure what MLB rules are on this, but under no circumstances would I trade for David Price unless there is some sort of preliminary contract agreement between Price and the Mariners beforehand. Sending arguably the top pitching prospect in MLB + Franklin and a mid level prospect is a lot and it would only be worth it if Price will be staying here. Sending a package centered around Walker would be completely asinine if it's just for a rental of David Price. Half of Price's value is in the fact that he's relatively young and still in his prime.

I would totally have to disagree with you on this. Walker is not the top pitching prospect in MLB. Mariners yes, MLB no. I have outlined my reasons why I think Walker won't be what people expect in the majors. He is only 21, but has many red flags. Great stuff alone doesn't make an ace. I just have a bad feeling about Walker and I loved the kid last year. Just like tonight, he pitched 5 innings at Tacoma with 1 K. Franklin to me is a serviceable middle infielder at best in the majors. Peterson would be the one guy I would say no to in this proposed deal. I think he has the best MLB future of the 3 and I don't think it will be even close. Just my opinion and I respect yours....but you are wrong...lol.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would totally have to disagree with you on this. Walker is not the top pitching prospect in MLB. Mariners yes, MLB no. I have outlined my reasons why I think Walker won't be what people expect in the majors. He is only 21, but has many red flags. Great stuff alone doesn't make an ace. I just have a bad feeling about Walker and I loved the kid last year. Just like tonight, he pitched 5 innings at Tacoma with 1 K. Franklin to me is a serviceable middle infielder at best in the majors. Peterson would be the one guy I would say no to in this proposed deal. I think he has the best MLB future of the 3 and I don't think it will be even close. Just my opinion and I respect yours....but you are wrong...lol.

I agree with you on this... At first I wasn't sold on Peterson now I think he can easily be a major league hitter. I have also changed my tune on Walker, I have come to realize that it is probably best to trade him while his value is still high and we can still get a decent return on him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I have just been jaded by all the failures of prospects past with this team. Again, I was a huge Walker fan and would have fought anyone who thought we should trade him a year ago, but after watching last year in spring vs this year, well I just don't recognize the guy anymore. They messed him up mechanics wise. My shoulder hurts when I watch him now.

If it was last years version, I would have been right there with seahawksfan and his opinion.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think a case can be made for Walker being if not the best pitching prospect in MLB, the most valuable due to the fact that he is major league ready. The only pitcher ranked higher than Walker in these 3 rankings, is Archie Bradley who is in AA. Here is how a few lists rank him:

MLB.com:
#5 overall. #2 Pitcher. Archie Bradley is the pitcher ranked higher. Seeing as how he's still in AA, he's a bit behind Walker.

Baseball America:
#11 overall. #3 pitcher. Behind Tanaka and Bradley.

Baseball Prospectus:
#8 overall. #1 pitcher.

I do agree that D.J. Peterson may have the best future of any player in the Mariners minor league system though, which was why I was so opposed to including him in any deal. My main point was a pitcher of Walker's value + Franklin and perhaps some mid level prospect would be a fair deal for Price, assuming that we are going to extend his contract.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else does Tampa have in terms of an expendable hitter though, Zobrist would be an obvious want to get. Jack cannot do a deal with just Price in return IMO. If Walker is involved with a deal for price then it cannot just be for Price. IMO it needs to be a similar deal like the Cliff Lee deal. Peterson should be off limits but every other prospect should be fair game to include someone along side Price.

But I'm still holding out hope that they don't deal Walker or any real prospect at the deadline and just wait until the winter meetings to do a blockbuster deal.