• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else does Tampa have in terms of an expendable hitter though, Zobrist would be an obvious want to get.

Guys like Loney, Joyce maybe a Desmond Jennings. Not any that are super appealing.

My only issue with dealing Walker now is that his value isnt nearly at his highest. If we would have dealt him in the winter before he had his shoulders problems I think we could have gotten much better value for him. Also if he stays and pitches well the rest of the year he could increase his value for next offseason if we were to deal him. I dont think other teams value Walker as high as most Mariner fans do right now which is understandable.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Loney, Joyce maybe a Desmond Jennings. Not any that are super appealing.

My only issue with dealing Walker now is that his value isnt nearly at his highest. If we would have dealt him in the winter before he had his shoulders problems I think we could have gotten much better value for him. Also if he stays and pitches well the rest of the year he could increase his value for next offseason if we were to deal him. I dont think other teams value Walker as high as most Mariner fans do right now which is understandable.

It is understandable mostly because hitting has much more value than pitching, but Walker still has the perception of an ace. That alone should remove his name from the trade block unless Jack actually makes a decent trade and gets a solid return, which IMO is not a pitcher such as Price. He can be the main piece of a deal but they need a hitter more than a pitcher.

Getting a guy like Price would be awesome if the season were over and they were in the playoffs, but what does a guy like Price do to help them get there? Doubt Young, Elias and whoever the number 5 starter is is going to keep up the pace, they need another bat to go along with Cano and Seager to turn those 4-1 losses into a 5-4 wins. They have a great bullpen and closer, ride them until they wear out not ride an average at best offense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a case can be made for Walker being if not the best pitching prospect in MLB, the most valuable due to the fact that he is major league ready. The only pitcher ranked higher than Walker in these 3 rankings, is Archie Bradley who is in AA. Here is how a few lists rank him:

MLB.com:
#5 overall. #2 Pitcher. Archie Bradley is the pitcher ranked higher. Seeing as how he's still in AA, he's a bit behind Walker.

Baseball America:
#11 overall. #3 pitcher. Behind Tanaka and Bradley.

Baseball Prospectus:
#8 overall. #1 pitcher.

I do agree that D.J. Peterson may have the best future of any player in the Mariners minor league system though, which was why I was so opposed to including him in any deal. My main point was a pitcher of Walker's value + Franklin and perhaps some mid level prospect would be a fair deal for Price, assuming that we are going to extend his contract.

My bad, I thought you were calling Peterson the 'mid level prospect'. I agree with Walker/Franklin/mid level prospect for Price.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back to the one thing we know as true when it comes to Walker's value and that is he was part of a deal with Franklin, Pryor, and Furbush for Upton. That doesn't show me he has much value around the league because he hasn't improved his value since that near trade. So if you can get Price for Walker/Franklin/mid level prospect, then take it and run in my opinion. If you could add Jennings some how or Zobrist, they should feel lucky as all get out.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washburn
C. Lee
Morrow
Fister
Campos
Pineda
League
Vargas

Smoak
Furbush
Montero

I just posted this for my keeping. I know someone else listed Jack's trades of pitchers and what we have to show for it. I just didn't want to open my word program and save it there so I put it here.

Here is a list of all Jack's trades through August 2013 I believe if interested.

An Analysis of Every Mariners Trade in the Jack Zduriencik Era | Seattle Sportsnet

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some speculating with a pinch of wishful thinking, but I keep reading Red Sox are scouting Hamels from Phils. That to me means they are worried they will lose Lester who is mad that they lied to him about negotiating. So maybe a little 3 team deal with Lester coming home, Hamels to Sox, and M's work out a deal with Phils with maybe Sox throwing in a player since they get Hamels under contract.

Re-signing Lester is the key for M's deal obviously, but why wouldn't he want to come home to a playoff caliber team? Dream big or go home.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some speculating with a pinch of wishful thinking, but I keep reading Red Sox are scouting Hamels from Phils. That to me means they are worried they will lose Lester who is mad that they lied to him about negotiating. So maybe a little 3 team deal with Lester coming home, Hamels to Sox, and M's work out a deal with Phils with maybe Sox throwing in a player since they get Hamels under contract.

Re-signing Lester is the key for M's deal obviously, but why wouldn't he want to come home to a playoff caliber team? Dream big or go home.

I would like this to happen very much.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washburn
C. Lee
Morrow
Fister
Campos
Pineda
League
Vargas

Smoak
Furbush
Montero

I just posted this for my keeping. I know someone else listed Jack's trades of pitchers and what we have to show for it. I just didn't want to open my word program and save it there so I put it here.

Here is a list of all Jack's trades through August 2013 I believe if interested.

An Analysis of Every Mariners Trade in the Jack Zduriencik Era | Seattle Sportsnet
I am very intrigued to read this article, thanks for the find.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love that trade but I can't recall a trade with a player signing an extension IN season.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have kicked around a few names, the thing is with the second wild card spot, there aren't a ton of teams that are out of it already. Looking at the standings, here are the teams that are 8 games out of the WC:

AL:
Tampa-8
Boston-8
Houston-11.5
Texas-13

NL:
Philly-10
SD-11
Chi-11.5
Col-12
Zona-12.5

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some lower priced guys Im thinking of (note, I have no idea where any of these guys are with their contracts, just that they're interesting players on teams that are out of it.)

Seth Smith from SD plays LF- batting .280 with 10 homers this year.

Martin Prado from AZ is interesting, plays all over, primarily of

Miguel Montero C from AZ? Is having a bounce back year this year. Would give us a C/DH option to split time with Mikey Z. .262 w/ 11bombs

Shane Victorino Boston- He's been hurt most of the year, but when healthy is a spark plug.

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some lower priced guys Im thinking of (note, I have no idea where any of these guys are with their contracts, just that they're interesting players on teams that are out of it.)

Seth Smith from SD plays LF- batting .280 with 10 homers this year.

Martin Prado from AZ is interesting, plays all over, primarily of

Miguel Montero C from AZ? Is having a bounce back year this year. Would give us a C/DH option to split time with Mikey Z. .262 w/ 11bombs

Shane Victorino Boston- He's been hurt most of the year, but when healthy is a spark plug.

Ok after reading my post, its more just throwing names out there. They may or may not be lower priced as terms of prospects needed and salary... :lol:

Just really hoping they do something to help the offense this year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners have talked to the Royals about a possible trade for Billy Butler.

The Mariners are looking far and wide for a bat, but they'd be buying low on Butler. While he has shown some signs of life since early June, he has hit just three home runs through 93 games this season

Yuck if this is our only move. Not much of an upgrade and another DH. Rather use Montero.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Mariners have talked to the Royals about a possible trade for Billy Butler.

The Mariners are looking far and wide for a bat, but they'd be buying low on Butler. While he has shown some signs of life since early June, he has hit just three home runs through 93 games this season

Yuck if this is our only move. Not much of an upgrade and another DH. Rather use Montero.

Im sure they aren't shopping, but I love Gordon.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon yes, Butler, no.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royals only 2.5 back of us for 2nd wild card. Gonna be awhile before/if they decide to sell, especially to us...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zduriencik went on Brock & Salk this morning and said that he has no intention of trading Peterson. Given what we currently have at first base, that's a wise decision.

All-in-all, it sounds like Zduriencik has the okay from ownership and the desire to improve this year's team, but not at the expense of the next several years of M's teams. In other words, if he's gonna trade guys like Walker or Paxton, he's gonna do it for guys that can help for years to come and not just the second half of this year and/or next season (rent-a-player types). That tells me that we're unlikely to see a Walker + pieces for Price trade. It would have to be Walker + pieces for Price + long-term help.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again, don't forget you can deal Price in the off season for players that fit under 'long term help'. And you can get a lot more for Price than you can for Walker.

I am glad to see Jack is seeing it my way on Peterson. About time...lol.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so many rumors

we've been through this before, and shouldn't be surprised by the 99% inevitable result