• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp wants to play CF everyday. No thanks to that.

A great player when he is healthy and properly motivated. But motivation has been an issue with him in the past. Complaining and threatening has been an issue too. I think the veterans our team has now are a positive influence on the younger players. What kind of influence could we expect from a veteran who complains and has motivation issues?

Dodgers would have to eat a majority of his contract before I would be interested. And this isn't the same Matt Kemp who was a 40-40 threat three years ago. This is a completely different guy. Byrd has less upside but also far less risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always worried about his motivation as well. He is a Hollywood guy and he pouts with LA. How much would he pout in backwoods Seattle (backwoods for him)? I just don't see him as a good fit. Though I said Price would come here and give 100% then leave, I think Kemp would dogit hereand try to push to be traded elsewhere.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
39s Mariners' talks regarding Price and Zobrist come at a time when progress has stalled in their efforts to acquire Marlon Byrd.

If it's both Zobrist and Price, Walker has to be in play. When you consider that would be bringing in about 8 combined WAR a year, it'd be we'll worth it.

D.J. Peterson has to be untouchable though.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7m Mariners are having ongoing trade discussions with Rays regarding David Price and Ben Zobrist, sources say. No deal imminent.

I like the idea of acquiriing Price. I just hope they exhaust all possibilities of acquiring a productive hitter first. Assumming they kept Price through next year and he got about $18 million in arbitration next year, the Mariners would be playing roughly $22 million for about 43-46 starts. That's pretty steep. It ain't my money and I shouldn't care. But I do care how it will affect available money for other team needs. Obviously they will still need a good bat going into Spring Training next year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming around to my way of thinking on Peterson...lol.

Maybe a coincidence, but Walker's start was pushed back a day.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's both Zobrist and Price, Walker has to be in play. When you consider that would be bringing in about 8 combined WAR a year, it'd be we'll worth it.

D.J. Peterson has to be untouchable though.

A player who so far has nothing but potential should never be considered untouchable when trying to acquire a player who is an established allstar. That being said, I wouldn't want them to give up Peterson for chump change. It would have to be a solid return.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of acquiriing Price. I just hope they exhaust all possibilities of acquiring a productive hitter first. Assumming they kept Price through next year and he got about $18 million in arbitration next year, the Mariners would be playing roughly $22 million for about 43-46 starts. That's pretty steep. It ain't my money and I shouldn't care. But I do care how it will affect available money for other team needs. Obviously they will still need a good bat going into Spring Training next year.

I still believe in the long shot that we get Price, that he would be traded in the off season. I can't see them paying him next year either and his most trade value would be in the off season compared to the trade deadline.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player who so far has nothing but potential should never be considered untouchable when trying to acquire a player who is an established allstar. That being said, I wouldn't want them to give up Peterson for chump change. It would have to be a solid return.

Peterson would have to be off the table for me. He is what we want in Seattle. Walker is replaceable though at a higher dollar value.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That player should be when one of his tools is the toughest tool to acquire in baseball. Peterson has legit power.

I meant that he should be untouchable in that trade scenario. If you can work a trade for Stanton on the other hand. Only Felix, Cano and Seager should be considered untouchable.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe in the long shot that we get Price, that he would be traded in the off season. I can't see them paying him next year either and his most trade value would be in the off season compared to the trade deadline.
I'm not a big fan of just trading for Price since we obviously need a bat, but I don't hate the idea of going for Price and Zobrist.

We would give up a lot, but I agree that Price would then be flipped for a package after this season, hopefully refilling that loss of this year. A lot like the Cliff Lee situation. We gave up a bunch of garbage for him, had him for a nice little run, then swapped him for a package (though they didn't work out like they should have). Still, we turned Tyson Gillies, Phillipe Aumont, and Juan Ramirez into Cliff Lee's performance here, then the Rangers deal, so it's not like we lost much there.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a coincidence, but Walker's start was pushed back a day.

Agree, I kind of think they are sending him a message. A rotation spot shouldn't just be handed to him if he doesn't earn it. 5 innings, 80 something pitches and only 1 K is unacceptable for him in AAA. Wasn't that great in his two starts up here either. Personally Im skeptical on him but I also don't think other teams value him as high as maybe they did last winter.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of just trading for Price since we obviously need a bat, but I don't hate the idea of going for Price and Zobrist.

We would give up a lot, but I agree that Price would then be flipped for a package after this season, hopefully refilling that loss of this year. A lot like the Cliff Lee situation. We gave up a bunch of garbage for him, had him for a nice little run, then swapped him for a package (though they didn't work out like they should have). Still, we turned Tyson Gillies, Phillipe Aumont, and Juan Ramirez into Cliff Lee's performance here, then the Rangers deal, so it's not like we lost much there.

Only difference is Tampa's GM isn't a moron like Ruben Amaro is for the Phillies. I get what you are saying though. Its something to keep in mind.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only difference is Tampa's GM isn't a moron like Ruben Amaro is for the Phillies. I get what you are saying though. Its something to keep in mind.
Right, and I don't expect to get Price and Zobrist for the 2014 versions of those players we sent to Philly. I'm sure we'd be giving up Walker, Franklin, and probably 2 or 3 other promising prospects, but the sting can be soothed some with the ability to then swap Price to another team.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice, I also love the idea of just going after Zobrist since it would mean less prospect loss while filling a big need in the offense. He's also under control through 2016 at around $7M per season. I like that.

The article mentions Nick Franklin. Fine with me. Franklin plus a B- prospect of their choice for Zobrist is a deal I would sign now.

Giving up less to get just Zobrist would also free the Mariners up to go after another bat and/or starting pitcher if that's what they want to do. It'll be interesting to see how these talks evolve. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it become a 3-team discussion at some point.

Podunk mentioned something about Matt Kemp and I just read an article about him on ESPN.com. It said that he'd be open to playing left field or right field on another team if it means playing everyday, but that he'd like to move back to center full-time at some point. What concerns me is that Kemp is still owed over $100 million through 2019, probably wouldn't be cheap in terms of player/prospect compensation, hasn't played a full season since 2011 due to injuries and would probably have to platoon with somebody out in left thanks to his inability to hit lefties, who can hit lefties reasonably well, but can't hit worth a damn against righties.

Even if the Dodgers agree to pay a chunk of his remaining salary to have us take him off their hands and the player/prospect compensation is less than it would be for a guy like Byrd or the combination of Price and Zobrist, I think there are enough things on the "con" list with Kemp for the M's to stay away.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell are we talking about Price! We already have plenty of SP's taking losses after giving up only 1 or 2 earned runs.

We need a BAT!!!!!!!!!!!