• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's already reports about OAK trading Samardija and Donaldson this off-season. I dount Josh is traded because he doesn't hit FA until 2018, but it's funny anyways. I have a feeling they might be fighting for 3rd place next year.

The last 2 months for the A's have been fun to watch. I enjoy their tears of misery. They appear to have done considerable damage to that teams chemistry. We all know Beane is capable of fixing it, let's hope it takes him some time.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY is joining the FO?

I just heard JD say that Young and Darren Oliver are sitting in on managerial interviews so the Rangers can get input on how players would feel about each candidate.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY and Oliver reportedly being added to organizational roles with the Rangers:

When Michael Young last week turned down the opportunity to interview for the Rangers’ managerial opening, he didn’t turn down the Rangers.
Instead, he and general manager Jon Daniels seamlessly transitioned from discussing the managerial position to a broader role with the club that would allow him to fill a significant void in the front office and still be able to coach his kids’ soccer teams and enjoy the trappings of being 38 years old (in three weeks) and classified as “comfortably retired.”
According to two sources, Young and Daniels are moving toward finalizing a deal that would put the Rangers’ all-time games played and hits leader in the front office in a significant, albeit unstructured, role akin to a “special assistant to the general manager.” The Rangers are also discussing a similar role with Darren Oliver. Young, according to a source, was involved in staff meetings Monday as the Rangers vetted a number of managerial candidates.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that our High A team is moving back out to the Cal League.

"High Desert is located in the Mojave Desert city of Adelanto, Calif. The combination of elevation (about 3,400 feet) and high winds have made High Desert a difficult spot to develop pitchers. In the last 10 years, the High Desert team ERA never went below 4.95."

Texas Rangers high Class A affiliate headed to Cal League | Dallas Morning News

But imagine the numbers Gallo could've put up there

I think you'll see most solid pitching prospects skip high A now (a lot do anyway)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But imagine the numbers Gallo could've put up there

I think you'll see most solid pitching prospects skip high A now (a lot do anyway)

Scott Lucas broached that subject the other day. He said the following.

"By these calculations, Joey Gallo as a High Desert Maverick would bat .364/.494/1.099 with 43 homers in 59 games."

That would have been awesome.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's already reports about OAK trading Samardija and Donaldson this off-season. I dount Josh is traded because he doesn't hit FA until 2018, but it's funny anyways. I have a feeling they might be fighting for 3rd place next year.

We can trade give them Chris Bostick back for Shark.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is supposed to sign for more than Abreu got. If the Rangers couldn't afford Abreu before adding Fielder and Choo I don't see anyway they can afford this guy with their current budget.

I would love his RH power, but I agree with you. If JD is telling the truth about not being in on the top FA pitching market then how is he going to give 100+ M to Tomas?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Harrison to start throwing in January - Dallas Texas Rangers Blog - ESPN Dallas

In no way am I counting on anything form Harry again, but what a change he would make if he was able to be productive again. His injury set us back a lot. We signed him to what at the time was a great deal. I thought we had 4 very good starters for years to come. I'm glad insurance was included in is deal.

I tend to agree with you but I would love to see it come out great not just for us but for him as well since he seems like a pretty good person overall.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you but I would love to see it come out great not just for us but for him as well since he seems like a pretty good person overall.

From what my GF said he is a very nice guy, along with his wife. She's ran into him twice at Target here in the Mid-Cities area. The last time she asked if she could get an autograph for me. He stopped and said no problem.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have designated righty Wilmer Font for assignment, according to executive VP of communications John Blake ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]517752298437881856[/MEDIA]"]via Twitter[/ame]). The move makes room for the club’s claim of fellow right-hander Alfredo Figaro.
Font, 24, enjoyed a cup of coffee in both 2012 and 2013, but has no substantial MLB experience. After a strong minor league campaign last year, he was somewhat less successful in 2014. Over 31 innings at Double-A, he threw to a 3.48 ERA with 9.0 K/9 against 4.9 BB/9.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers have designated righty Wilmer Font for assignment, according to executive VP of communications John Blake (via Twitter). The move makes room for the club’s claim of fellow right-hander Alfredo Figaro.
Font, 24, enjoyed a cup of coffee in both 2012 and 2013, but has no substantial MLB experience. After a strong minor league campaign last year, he was somewhat less successful in 2014. Over 31 innings at Double-A, he threw to a 3.48 ERA with 9.0 K/9 against 4.9 BB/9.

Another player let go instead of Kirkman. Makes no sense.

There really doesn't seem to be anything special about 30 year old Figaro.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't mean we let him go. That's certainly an option though.

Figaro has started a few games and will be controlled for the minimum.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This may be the reason:

The Rangers have 10 days to trade, release or assign Font outright to the minors. The last possibility only becomes an option if he clears waivers. Font had surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow in August, which might diminish interest in him from other clubs.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Diamondbacks request permission to speak with Rangers interim manager Tim Bogar. But they have about 11 other candidates to interview as well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't mean we let him go. That's certainly an option though.

Figaro has started a few games and will be controlled for the minimum.

I would imagine someone will pick Font up and put him on their 40 man. Figaro hasn't looked good and we already have a ton of guys on the roster that we can't keep past the Winter Meetings. We don't necessarily need someone to control. We need good pitching and he isn't it. Figaro sounds like someone that somebody who is influential in our organization fell in love with a few years ago and just doesn't get it that they were wrong about him.