• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a quizzical thing posed on LSB by a poster. If Moreland and Smoak both get non-tendered this off season, which seems likely, would you be willing to sign Smoak to a minor league deal?

I never cared for Smoak that much. I still like Moreland more.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope we don't spend any time or money on either of them.

I agree.

We're already having difficulty in figuring out who's gonna make our 40 man roster. Even as our team is constituted now. So why waste a spot on either one of these constantly hurt/under performing spares?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the News:

No. 3: This is the spot for which the Rangers will be seeking a pitcher. There is a big difference in dollars between a true top-half-of-the-rotation starter and a serviceable innings-eating No. 3. It’s still expensive, but the price and, in particular, the length-of-contract demands come down. With a number of questionable long-term deals, the Rangers need some shorter deals in the two- or three-year range.
A guy like St. Louis’ Justin Masterson might be the kind of guy the Rangers find. Masterson averaged 199 innings per season from 2010-13, but struggled to a career-worst 5.88 ERA this season. In other words, he’s got the kind of upside the Rangers need, but comes with the kind of risk that will make him affordable. There are other free agents that fall in this general class, including Brandon McCarthy (who may not want to return to Texas after spending four rough years with the club), Ervin Santana (who has dreadful numbers in Arlington) and Edinson Volquez (who has spent the last seven years in the National League).

And there are potential trade candidates. Cincinnati might consider parting with Mat Latos, but Johnny Cueto, who could pitch higher in the rotation, would be more enticing. St. Louis might consider dealing Shelby Miller, whom the Rangers once considered drafting. And then there is Philadelphia, with several veterans and a team going nowhere.

No. 4: Colby Lewis is a free agent, but it seems like a virtual certainty he will return to the Rangers. Though he finished with the second-highest qualifying ERA among starters in the majors (5.18), he proved to be reliable in the second half. After the All-Star break, Lewis averaged 62/3 innings per start and compiled a 3.86 ERA.

No. 5: Nick Tepesch and Nick Martinez each got more than 20 starts. Tepesch got them after a poor spring and a demotion to the minors; Martinez got them out of desperation because of the lack of depth. Martinez should have spent the season at Double-A or Triple-A, but didn’t let being overmatched overwhelm him.

Tepesch should pitch in this spot. He’s got more than 30 big league starts, and beginning with career start No. 30, he’s got a 3.81 ERA. He’s making his pitches with more confidence.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the News:

No. 3: This is the spot for which the Rangers will be seeking a pitcher. There is a big difference in dollars between a true top-half-of-the-rotation starter and a serviceable innings-eating No. 3. It’s still expensive, but the price and, in particular, the length-of-contract demands come down. With a number of questionable long-term deals, the Rangers need some shorter deals in the two- or three-year range.
A guy like St. Louis’ Justin Masterson might be the kind of guy the Rangers find. Masterson averaged 199 innings per season from 2010-13, but struggled to a career-worst 5.88 ERA this season. In other words, he’s got the kind of upside the Rangers need, but comes with the kind of risk that will make him affordable. There are other free agents that fall in this general class, including Brandon McCarthy (who may not want to return to Texas after spending four rough years with the club), Ervin Santana (who has dreadful numbers in Arlington) and Edinson Volquez (who has spent the last seven years in the National League).

And there are potential trade candidates. Cincinnati might consider parting with Mat Latos, but Johnny Cueto, who could pitch higher in the rotation, would be more enticing. St. Louis might consider dealing Shelby Miller, whom the Rangers once considered drafting. And then there is Philadelphia, with several veterans and a team going nowhere.

No. 4: Colby Lewis is a free agent, but it seems like a virtual certainty he will return to the Rangers. Though he finished with the second-highest qualifying ERA among starters in the majors (5.18), he proved to be reliable in the second half. After the All-Star break, Lewis averaged 62/3 innings per start and compiled a 3.86 ERA.

No. 5: Nick Tepesch and Nick Martinez each got more than 20 starts. Tepesch got them after a poor spring and a demotion to the minors; Martinez got them out of desperation because of the lack of depth. Martinez should have spent the season at Double-A or Triple-A, but didn’t let being overmatched overwhelm him.

Tepesch should pitch in this spot. He’s got more than 30 big league starts, and beginning with career start No. 30, he’s got a 3.81 ERA. He’s making his pitches with more confidence.

I don't want Masterson. He was lousy last year. Who needs 199 IP of that. I would take McCarthy over Masterson.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Masterson. He was lousy last year. Who needs 199 IP of that. I would take McCarthy over Masterson.

Well.....maybe.

Do keep in mind his career has been much stronger/longer than Mc. And it's all part of the process of risk/reward.

Frankly, I'd love to see us sign two guys like this - if not these two - and let's find out who can start and stay and who can't.

After all....as someone smarter than me said...."you need 10 starters every year."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the News:

I've been saying all along that I think the Reds might be where we look to go. Give me Latos or if you could somehow get Cueto, and then sign someone like Masterson who has upside (depending on the cost). I've always liked sinker ballers in our park.

Shelby Miller had a good year, but trading with the Cards scares me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I want nothing to do with Masterson. We already have guys who can perform better than he did last year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.....maybe.

Do keep in mind his career has been much stronger/longer than Mc. And it's all part of the process of risk/reward.

Frankly, I'd love to see us sign two guys like this - if not these two - and let's find out who can start and stay and who can't.

After all....as someone smarter than me said...."you need 10 starters every year."

HaHa. I think we had more than 10 starters this season and several were better than Masterson.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want nothing to do with Masterson. We already have guys who can perform better than he did last year.

I want no part of Masterson, we definitely have better options

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want no part of Masterson, we definitely have better options

I don't know about better options really.

If you look at Masterson for the 4 years before this season he averaged over 200 innings, fair ERA, and decent WHIP.

He would fit nicely at the # 4 position demanding about $10 per season for 2 years. Not good, not terrible.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HaHa. I think we had more than 10 starters this season and several were better than Masterson.

That "intelligent" 10 starter quote came from Winding awhile back. Seems like an good way to look at it too.

I try not to evaluate a pitcher on one season. 2014 sucked for Masterson. But this should drive his bargaining position down, and maybe allow us to get him for 2 years only. Maybe even one, depending on the market.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about better options really.

If you look at Masterson for the 4 years before this season he averaged over 200 innings, fair ERA, and decent WHIP.

He would fit nicely at the # 4 position demanding about $10 per season for 2 years. Not good, not terrible.

In the last 6 seasons he has had 2 with good ERAs. His WHIP was bad 4 of those 6 years as well. He does stay healthy enough to get 200 innings sometimes, but that doesn't make me feel any better about him. At that rate you could sign him for 3 years and could depend on 2 of those years being bad and 1 being good. No thanks. Give me Tepesch, Martinez or Bonilla instead. Baker might even be better than that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 6 seasons he has had 2 with good ERAs. His WHIP was bad 4 of those 6 years as well. He does stay healthy enough to get 200 innings sometimes, but that doesn't make me feel any better about him. At that rate you could sign him for 3 years and could depend on 2 of those years being bad and 1 being good. No thanks. Give me Tepesch, Martinez or Bonilla instead. Baker might even be better than that.

I'm super high on the guy. But on the other hand, it's hard to find a good innings eater.

I'm looking at someone like him as a bridge to some really good competition in 2016.

Hopefully Perez will be 100% and cooking then, Holland will establish himself as a sold # 3 at the worst, adn Darvish is committed to a longer term contract.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SORRY.....meant to say "I'm not super high on this guy."

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SORRY.....meant to say "I'm not super high on this guy."

You can stuff your sorries in a sack Mister. Can't help it when I get a chance to use a good Seinfeld reference.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm super high on the guy. But on the other hand, it's hard to find a good innings eater.

I'm looking at someone like him as a bridge to some really good competition in 2016.

Hopefully Perez will be 100% and cooking then, Holland will establish himself as a sold # 3 at the worst, adn Darvish is committed to a longer term contract.

Over their last 10 starts this season Tepesch went almost 2 innings longer on average than Masterson. Tepesch's needle is pointing up and Masterson's is pointing down. After May 8th Masterson only made it to the 6th inning in 4 starts. In that same time period Tepesch made it to the 6th inning or further 13 times.

Martinez made it an inning and a third longer on average than Masterson over their last 10 starts. Since May 8th Nick made it to the 6th inning in 8 starts.

I just think we win more games with the youngsters than someone like Masterson.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over their last 10 starts this season Tepesch went almost 2 innings longer on average than Masterson. Tepesch's needle is pointing up and Masterson's is pointing down. After May 8th Masterson only made it to the 6th inning in 4 starts. In that same time period Tepesch made it to the 6th inning or further 13 times.

Martinez made it an inning and a third longer on average than Masterson over their last 10 starts. Since May 8th Nick made it to the 6th inning in 8 starts.

I just think we win more games with the youngsters than someone like Masterson.

Agree and save our money for something else.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of people outrighted to AAA... Engel, JP, Font, Guilder, Kouz & Figueroa