• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg adds:

"The four Rangers who were outrighted – Engel Beltre, Wilmer Font, Pedro Figueroa, and Guilder Rodriguez – each have enough professional service to opt for free agency in the next few weeks. However, frequently in cases such as theirs, the club and player agree to terms on a minor league contract for the following season (often with an invite to big league spring training) before the date on which the player can take free agency.

No word yet on whether the Rangers and any of those players have struck any such deals for 2015."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Hart could be someone cheap to look into for some RH power. He had a down year in SEA but a lot of hitters do. He elected FA after being DFA.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu, Derek and maybe Colby are the only ones who come to mind

You have a very short memory then. Masterson had an ERA of 5.88 and a WHIP of 1.63 in 2014. Check out the Rangers pitching stats from this season and you will see that we had 15 pitchers who made starts for us. 9 of them had a better ERA than Masterson and 9 of them had a better WHIP than Masterson. We had lots of guys starting for us in 2014 that were better than Masterson.

The let's-get-Masterson hopes seem to be the epitome of the "the grass is always greener on the other side" fallacy. There are simply too many guys who are already here that have pitched better than him lately to go out and spend money on him. That is especially true since we have so little money to spend.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a very short memory then. Masterson had an ERA of 5.88 and a WHIP of 1.63 in 2014. Check out the Rangers pitching stats from this season and you will see that we had 15 pitchers who made starts for us. 9 of them had a better ERA than Masterson and 9 of them had a better WHIP than Masterson. We had lots of guys starting for us in 2014 that were better than Masterson.

The let's-get-Masterson hopes seem to be the epitome of the "the grass is always greener on the other side" fallacy. There are simply too many guys who are already here that have pitched better than him lately to go out and spend money on him. That is especially true since we have so little money to spend.

:agree:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Lonestar Ball:

The two most noteworthy names on that list are Beltre and Ortiz. Beltre was the prize of the Eric Gagne trade in 2007, a toolsy teenage outfielder who was seen as having star potential. Although his bat never developed, he was considered one of the best defensive outfielders in the organization, and it was thought that his speed and defense could give him a future in the majors. However, Beltre missed all of 2014 with a broken leg, which robbed him of his athleticism, and his future now is in doubt.

Ortiz made the team out of spring training as a reliever in 2013, but his stuff lost its crispness after being used heavily early in the season. An offseason accident, where he was run over by a motorcycle in Venezuela, put him on the d.l. for much of the season. Once he returned, he pitched only in the minors, and did not get good reviews for either his stuff or his attitude. He has an option remaining, so Chicago can spend the 2015 season determining whether he has a future in their organization.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you misunderstand me i don't want Masterson on this team either but i also don't want to go into next season with any of these as a starter on our team: Baker, Martinez, Mikolas or Tepesch.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that A's, Angels, and Ian are out of the playoffs...ready for them to be over so we can start FA :)

If only the Giants and Cardinals were booted out as well, still hope I guess.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our upgrade in the rotation will end up being more a Brandon McCarthy not a James Shields, but even McCarthy allows you to slot everyone back a spot (outside of Holland and Darvish)

Darvish, Holland, McCarthy, Lewis and whoever wins the ST battle between all the names just listed and eventually Perez

Outside shot at a trade involving Latos/Cueto, though I'm not getting my hopes up about that prospect

I would certainly go for someone like Andrew Cashner, solid k Rate with a great GB % and doesn't walk many

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our upgrade in the rotation will end up being more a Brandon McCarthy not a James Shields, but even McCarthy allows you to slot everyone back a spot (outside of Holland and Darvish)

Darvish, Holland, McCarthy, Lewis and whoever wins the ST battle between all the names just listed and eventually Perez

Outside shot at a trade involving Latos/Cueto, though I'm not getting my hopes up about that prospect

I would certainly go for someone like Andrew Cashner, solid k Rate with a great GB % and doesn't walk many

I have a feeling SD might end up being the trade partner. Though not for Cashner - probably for Kennedy. AJ knows the system and he will try to get whatever he can to help rebuild that organization.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you misunderstand me i don't want Masterson on this team either but i also don't want to go into next season with any of these as a starter on our team: Baker, Martinez, Mikolas or Tepesch.

I understood that when I said we had several starters in 2014 that were better than Masterson that you replied "Yu, Derek and maybe Colby are the only ones who come to mind". I was only pointing out that there were several others better than Masterson that you couldn't think of for some reason. You did seem to forget that we had several pitchers this season that had better years than Masterson.

I do think there are a lot of fans who under-appreciate just how much the two Nicks improved this season. There are pitchers available out there in free agency who are better than them, but most of them would cost a lot more than this team has to spend. There are others to be had in trade, but that really needs to be thought out and things need to be taken into consideration. Things to be considered include does this team have a chance to compete in 2015, how much would you have to give up to make one of those trades, and could what you give up be better spent on other needs in the future when we are more likely to be competitive.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What would you give up for 2 years of Cashner?