• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be the reason:

The Rangers have 10 days to trade, release or assign Font outright to the minors. The last possibility only becomes an option if he clears waivers. Font had surgery to remove a bone spur from his elbow in August, which might diminish interest in him from other clubs.

That may be what they are counting on, but if I was another GM I would take Font in a heartbeat and realize that removing a bone spur isn't that big of a deal and that he has a ton of potential. I am afraid that within a couple of years the Rangers will look silly for keeping Kirkman and Figaro and letting Font go.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be what they are counting on, but if I was another GM I would take Font in a heartbeat and realize that removing a bone spur isn't that big of a deal and that he has a ton of potential. I am afraid that within a couple of years the Rangers will look silly for keeping Kirkman and Figaro and letting Font go.

Font is around 5BB/9IP, and last year it was 5.9. If he doesn't learn to control the zone nobody will look silly for letting him go. I don't really care about any of the 3 you just mentioned.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletics GM Billy Beane doesn’t regret pulling the trigger on the trade that sent Yoenis Cespedes to Boston in exchange for Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes, he told reporters, including Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com. “Simply put, if we don’t have Jon Lester, I don’t think we make the playoffs,” Beane said. First baseman Brandon Moss also spoke, noting that he doesn’t think there was any way for the A’s to catch the Angels based on their torrid second-half run.The A’s could potentially have a strong pitching staff fronted by Sonny Gray, Jeff Samardzija and Scott Kazmir in 2015, writes John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group, but they’re left with question marks surrounding that strength. The team has no middle infield to speak of, and the free agent market doesn’t offer much in the way of impact options. Meanwhile, a large portion of the roster — including Jarrod Parker, A.J. Griffin, Brandon Moss, Stephen Vogt, John Jaso, Derek Norris, Craig Gentry and Sean Doolittle – is marred by injury concerns. Building a team that can contend in 2015 is a long shot, in Hickey’s estimation.

Me too. I think they'll be fighting for 3rd next year.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad state of the starting staff this year, Derek Holland finished 3rd on the team in WAR behind Darvish and Lewis (4.1, 1.6, & 1.3)

Then Martin Perez at .8, then Nick Martinez at .6 and Tepesch at .4, and Mikolas at .3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of the Diamondbacks. They seem deadset on poaching our front office. Our front office is the worst kept secret in all of baseball. Nobody wants to trade with us because "we're so smart" and they're afraid of getting fleeced, but when other teams have openings we're one of the first teams they ask.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad state of the starting staff this year, Derek Holland finished 3rd on the team in WAR behind Darvish and Lewis (4.1, 1.6, & 1.3)

Then Martin Perez at .8, then Nick Martinez at .6 and Tepesch at .4, and Mikolas at .3

I went to look up Beltre because I wondered how he didn't make the list. Then I realized you were referring to pitchers only. (Beltre's WAR - 7.0). His WAR and dWAR were better than last year. That man defies logic.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Font is around 5BB/9IP, and last year it was 5.9. If he doesn't learn to control the zone nobody will look silly for letting him go. I don't really care about any of the 3 you just mentioned.

That is one stat that doesn't look good. Others do look good including his WHIP. That many walks is okay when he gives up as few hits as he does. Kirkman's stats make Font look like a great pitcher. It just makes no sense to keep Kirkman and give up on Font.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of the Diamondbacks. They seem deadset on poaching our front office. Our front office is the worst kept secret in all of baseball. Nobody wants to trade with us because "we're so smart" and they're afraid of getting fleeced, but when other teams have openings we're one of the first teams they ask.

The Cubs sure aren't afraid to trade with us. 6 months ago Detroit wasn't afraid either. I doubt Baltimore is afraid to trade with us. I don't think the Teixeira trade scares anyone away any longer.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one stat that doesn't look good. Others do look good including his WHIP. That many walks is okay when he gives up as few hits as he does. Kirkman's stats make Font look like a great pitcher. It just makes no sense to keep Kirkman and give up on Font.

I certainly agree with the last sentence.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs sure aren't afraid to trade with us. 6 months ago Detroit wasn't afraid either. I doubt Baltimore is afraid to trade with us. I don't think the Teixeira trade scares anyone away any longer.

There's always two ways to exam a trade when using words like scared or smart. (1) Are we the smart ones? or (2) Are they the dumb ones?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say that the list of managerial candidates the Rangers will interview this coming week really excite me. Based on his success as a minor league manager (Minor League Manager of the year 3 out of 5 years) and working with Maddon and Francona and the fact that Bobby Valentine did not care for him Bogar seems to be the obvious choice.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to say what a beautiful day it is in the DFW area. Cannot get much better than this. Have a great day fellow Ranger fans.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always two ways to exam a trade when using words like scared or smart. (1) Are we the smart ones? or (2) Are they the dumb ones?

I don't know where to exactly draw the line being one being smart and another being dumb. I don't even think that every trade that doesn't work out has to mean it was a bad trade for the team that it didn't work out for. I just don't think that very many teams, if any, are scared to trade with us any longer. Why should they be?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say that the list of managerial candidates the Rangers will interview this coming week really excite me. Based on his success as a minor league manager (Minor League Manager of the year 3 out of 5 years) and working with Maddon and Francona and the fact that Bobby Valentine did not care for him Bogar seems to be the obvious choice.

I really think Bobby knows baseball. He is just very challenged in dealing with players now. He was great here during his first few years here. He sure was refreshing after some grueling years with Doug Radar.

Bobby is the one who convinced me we should go after Yu. I was on the fence at first until I read what Bobby thought of him.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Bobby knows baseball. He is just very challenged in dealing with players now. He was great here during his first few years here. He sure was refreshing after some grueling years with Doug Radar.

Bobby is the one who convinced me we should go after Yu. I was on the fence at first until I read what Bobby thought of him.

I think the game has passed Bobby V by. It's changed a lot and will continue to change. There will be a day when my baseball opinions will be out of touch.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a quizzical thing posed on LSB by a poster. If Moreland and Smoak both get non-tendered this off season, which seems likely, would you be willing to sign Smoak to a minor league deal?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a quizzical thing posed on LSB by a poster. If Moreland and Smoak both get non-tendered this off season, which seems likely, would you be willing to sign Smoak to a minor league deal?

I'd rather have Smoak, at least he can finish a season. Minor league deal couldn't hurt too much.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both could play for somebody else and it wouldn't bother me at all. I think they both still have potential but it's taking too long. If he would be willing to sign a minor league deal, then I guess it wouldn't hurt. I would think someone will sign him though.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD to interview 6 outside candidates for manager next week, according to the dallas morning news.