• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby Lewis is done. If the Rangers actually bring back Colby with his grooved fastballs and his 5 plus ERA then we are in worse shape than I thought. I appreciate all the innings and effort Colby gave the Rangers, including some great postseason starts, but bringing him back is a sure sign of a white flag already for 2015.

I've gone on record that this team won't be contending again until 2016-17. But Colby would just eat innings that other young pitchers could be getting to prep for a return to contention in 2016.

In 2016 the Angels will be paying 5 players over 100 million dollars with a very thin farm system. That's when we get back in the mix for an AL West title.

This team is good enough to contend next year if everyone stays pretty healthy. This team is not as bad as they turned out to be this year IMO. Lewis is a solid #5 that will be a bulldog and give you innings. He came back from a pretty substantial injury and while I don't expect it, he could come back to be even better next season now that he's got lots of work under his belt after the injury. It appears that Texas wants Colby back and Colby wants to be here. I think they get something done for sure.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh if you guys didn't know. If Matt doesn't pitch at all in 2015 the rangers have an insurance policy and get back 80% of that money.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not without unloading some money somewhere. If we're going to add a couple pitchers it will most likely be through trade. I still think Cincy might be a good match.

I can't remember but don't we get some money at some point from Detroit for the Fielder trade.

Agree it would most likely be from trading for a pitcher.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh if you guys didn't know. If Matt doesn't pitch at all in 2015 the rangers have an insurance policy and get back 80% of that money.

I don't think they can count on that when establishing a budget though. There is also the chance that Matt does pitch some and simply can't stay healthy and spends a good part of the season going back and forth from the DL to the active roster. That messes everything up as far as the insurance money goes.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember but don't we get some money at some point from Detroit for the Fielder trade.

Agree it would most likely be from trading for a pitcher.

I know they get money, but I am not sure how that is structured. I assumed it was spread out over the life of the contract, but I don't know. I think they have made up their mind about the budget with all of that already considered though. They are also due to get more in local TV money this year, but it isn't causing them to increase the budget.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From JD on RW:

“. . . having seen the last few weeks, having seen the change in the energy and atmosphere, I do think it had an impact. Tim [Bogar] should certainly get some credit for that, but sometimes I do think that a change is beneficial. I told Wash this and I’ve told you guys this before, I was hoping he’d be the only manager I ever hired. I was hoping it would be an even longer-term partnership, it was already eight years which is a long time in today’s game. So I was not going to make the move this winter. Since it was effectively made for us, I can look back now with some perspective and say ultimately, it may be for the best.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From JD on RW:

“. . . having seen the last few weeks, having seen the change in the energy and atmosphere, I do think it had an impact. Tim [Bogar] should certainly get some credit for that, but sometimes I do think that a change is beneficial. I told Wash this and I’ve told you guys this before, I was hoping he’d be the only manager I ever hired. I was hoping it would be an even longer-term partnership, it was already eight years which is a long time in today’s game. So I was not going to make the move this winter. Since it was effectively made for us, I can look back now with some perspective and say ultimately, it may be for the best.”

I am glad JD finally sees what a lot of us thought for years. lol

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watching the Royals and A's? :noidea:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HELLO THERE. Where is everyone? I can't fix this team by myself. Send help. 911:suds:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just made a postseason thread to discuss playoffs.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, leaving Michael young in the middle of the order in 2012 really bolstered our chances at winning the division. :rollseyes:

even now you can't get over it. who else on the roster would have made SENSE. of course you will say anyone because of your disdain for him but i didn't see anyone else on the roster who made any SENSE. could we have done better? yeah, with someone not on the roster but we didn't make any move

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even now you can't get over it. who else on the roster would have made SENSE. of course you will say anyone because of your disdain for him but i didn't see anyone else on the roster who made any SENSE. could we have done better? yeah, with someone not on the roster but we didn't make any move

:L You continue to say those of us calling for a lesser role for Young "hated" him and had "disdain" for him. Your tactics haven't changed at all, and it's pathetic. Face it, leaving young in the middle of the order was hamstringing the team (among other things) and Wash was too stubborn to do what he should've done, and at the very least move him down in the order.

Now, since you're still using the same lame arguments you leaned on in 2012, you say, "Well wash didn't agree with you." :L

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I don't believe there was truly a "better" option than to play Young in 2012 down the stretch. I do agree that Wash rode Young the whole damn season and never gave him any time off and I just think it all took a toll on MY and he was burned out on top of his struggle so he could never really snap out of his funk.

I don't for one minute believe Profar or Olt were going to save that season like some eluded too during that time but if Wash wasn't stubborn about his lineups and his refusal to give guys plenty of days off throughout the season and when they were struggling, I think 2012 would have been a better outcome. Wash went with the guys that gave the team success and that's fine...he's not the first manager and wont be the last manager to do something like that. I don't fault him for that really. That said JD is also at fault since our bench had been a weak spot as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO I don't believe there was truly a "better" option than to play Young in 2012 down the stretch. I do agree that Wash rode Young the whole damn season and never gave him any time off and I just think it all took a toll on MY and he was burned out on top of his struggle so he could never really snap out of his funk.

I don't for one minute believe Profar or Olt were going to save that season like some eluded too during that time but if Wash wasn't stubborn about his lineups and his refusal to give guys plenty of days off throughout the season and when they were struggling, I think 2012 would have been a better outcome. Wash went with the guys that gave the team success and that's fine...he's not the first manager and wont be the last manager to do something like that. I don't fault him for that really. That said JD is also at fault since our bench had been a weak spot as well.

My issue was his refusal to move young down in the order and his thick headed philosophy on his lineups. He reminded me of the guy that plays the sane lotto numbers every week for the simple reason that, those are his lotto numbers. Not to mention when Elvis did get a day off from the field, it was Young and his range that was equal to large rock stepping in rather than Profar who is supposed to be an elite defender. And if Elvis got an entire day off, guess who was hitting second? You guessed it. GIDPMY. Not mention his tendency to sit a young guy on the bench right as he was heating up.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst thing about that season was even when the days Wash would give MY off, I would bet that 98 or 99% of those days, Wash would bring MY on late in the game to pinch hit which drove me nuts.

There were times I felt Wash wasn't managing Texas Rangers and just managing the like Texas Michael Young's. Wash being stubborn was beyond ridiculous.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest problem with Wash misusing MY was having Young hit cleanup in the postseason in 2011.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew he wouldn't be able to stay away for to long. He loves the game to much. I'm glad he's back.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's already reports about OAK trading Samardija and Donaldson this off-season. I dount Josh is traded because he doesn't hit FA until 2018, but it's funny anyways. I have a feeling they might be fighting for 3rd place next year.