• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniel Robertson might have played CF this year, but it was only out of pure necessity. They need to address this in the off season if they don't want Leonys hitting against LHP every game.

Not good but certainly not bad either, an upgrade is certainly possible but I don't see it being in house

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros hire AJ Hinch. Good news for Maddux, Bogar, and Buechele fans.

I don't think that would excite me if Hinch was our next manager. Maybe I am missing something there.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One night without Ranger baseball and I'm lost. Does however reminds me how sorry TV is.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that our High A team is moving back out to the Cal League.

"High Desert is located in the Mojave Desert city of Adelanto, Calif. The combination of elevation (about 3,400 feet) and high winds have made High Desert a difficult spot to develop pitchers. In the last 10 years, the High Desert team ERA never went below 4.95."

Texas Rangers high Class A affiliate headed to Cal League | Dallas Morning News

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small piece from an article on Bogar in the DMN:

Whereas Washington shied away from using young players in important roles, Bogar used the tools his players had to construct the best lineup possible. That resulted in rookies hitting third in 15 of Bogar’s 22 games at the helm. No rookie appeared in the No. 3 spot under Washington. Rougned Odor hit .286 with an .817 OPS for his 53 at-bats in the No. 3 spot in September.

The article:

Was Tim Bogar's managerial audition good enough to earn the Rangers' full-time job? | Dallas Morning News

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that our High A team is moving back out to the Cal League.

"High Desert is located in the Mojave Desert city of Adelanto, Calif. The combination of elevation (about 3,400 feet) and high winds have made High Desert a difficult spot to develop pitchers. In the last 10 years, the High Desert team ERA never went below 4.95."

Texas Rangers high Class A affiliate headed to Cal League | Dallas Morning News

That really is bad news. Saw where Seattle when there had James Paxton and Tijuan Walker go from low A to AA because they did not want them pitching at High Desert. It was also nice having low A and high A relatively close to each other.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whereas Washington shied away from using young players in important roles, Bogar used the tools his players had to construct the best lineup possible. That resulted in rookies hitting third in 15 of Bogar’s 22 games at the helm. No rookie appeared in the No. 3 spot under Washington. Rougned Odor hit .286 with an .817 OPS for his 53 at-bats in the No. 3 spot in September.

The article:

Was Tim Bogar's managerial audition good enough to earn the Rangers' full-time job? | Dallas Morning News

until this season we were competitive right to the end so experimenting with rookies and batting order could have hurt our chances. this season we didn't have any choice but to experiment

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until this season we were competitive right to the end so experimenting with rookies and batting order could have hurt our chances. this season we didn't have any choice but to experiment

Yeah, leaving Michael young in the middle of the order in 2012 really bolstered our chances at winning the division. :rollseyes:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The article:

I am so glad that we will have a different manager to start the 2015 season than we did to start the last few seasons. I don't know what was more frustrating, having Wash for a manager or having all of the Wash apologists refuse to acknowledge that he was a bad manager.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis gets an 8.5 million raise next year. Holland gets a $2 million raise. Matt Harrison gets a $5 million raise. Beltre gets a $1 million raise. Leonys Martin gets a $1 million raise.

Rios made $12.8 million this year and they have to spend $1 million to buy him out so the net savings from him is $11.5 million. They will save the $2 million Cotts made this year. They could probably be expected to save roughly $2 million based on not having as many minimum salary players coming through here because of injuries. They will probably also spend an additional $5 million on players due for arbitration.

There is also the savings they get from players they traded off this season. We spent about $4 million on Soria that we won't have to spend next year. We spent almost $1 million on Frasor this year that we won't have to spend next season.

That adds up to about $22.5 million in raises coming and about $20.5 million in savings coming. Therefore they are already spending $2 million more next year than this year. They have stated that salary should remain about the same or even possibly go down next year. A couple of these figures are estimates, but either way you look at it we are not going to have much at all to spend this offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis gets an 8.5 million raise next year. Holland gets a $2 million raise. Matt Harrison gets a $5 million raise. Beltre gets a $1 million raise. Leonys Martin gets a $1 million raise.

Rios made $12.8 million this year and they have to spend $1 million to buy him out so the net savings from him is $11.5 million. They will save the $2 million Cotts made this year. They could probably be expected to save roughly $2 million based on not having as many minimum salary players coming through here because of injuries. They will probably also spend an additional $5 million on players due for arbitration.

There is also the savings they get from players they traded off this season. We spent about $4 million on Soria that we won't have to spend next year. We spent almost $1 million on Frasor this year that we won't have to spend next season.

That adds up to about $22.5 million in raises coming and about $20.5 million in savings coming. Therefore they are already spending $2 million more next year than this year. They have stated that salary should remain about the same or even possibly go down next year. A couple of these figures are estimates, but either way you look at it we are not going to have much at all to spend this offseason.

Not without unloading some money somewhere. If we're going to add a couple pitchers it will most likely be through trade. I still think Cincy might be a good match.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just realized how much I love baseball...I watched more than 100 games of this awful season...what the fuck is wrong with me?

Couldn't watch as many this season due to hectic work schedule but I guess it kind of worked out since the season was a disaster.

But what's worse is before this organization got good and watching 150+ games a season like I was when there was absolutely no hope whatsoever.

Baseball is the great game and it's a talkin sport. Simple as that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not without unloading some money somewhere. If we're going to add a couple pitchers it will most likely be through trade. I still think Cincy might be a good match.

I have heard Latos name mentioned. If we trade for him he is due an arbitration raise from his $7.5 million he made last year. So he will probably make at least 8.5 million next year. That is a lot to add for a team wanting to keep the same budget.

Where can they unload significant salary? With Profar hurt Elvis is staying. Prince can't be traded. Choo would be very difficult to trade until it is proven he has recovered from his two injuries. Beltre isn't going anywhere.