• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Daniels: Ryan Rua could be Texas Rangers outfield solution and other notes | Dallas Morning News

"Asked about the Rangers left field situation, Daniels said he could envision Ryan Rua, who hit .295 with a .740 OPS in 105 at-bats after a late-season callup, being a significant part of the Rangers’ attempt to fill the void in left field. Daniels said calling Rua a “platoon player,” might be “selling him short.”
“He’s a good athlete,” Daniels said. “He learned left field on the fly last year and he played it well. We have moved him around and haven’t really given him a chance to settle into a position. But I think he could be at least average out there.”

"Daniels said the Rangers do consider Mitch Moreland to be part of the mix in left field, though to what extent he could not say. Obviously, if Moreland is in the mix, it’s very possible a platoon of some type does develop between the left-handed hitting Moreland and the right-handed hitting Rua. How Moreland moves on his surgically-repaired ankle is also going to play a role in that. Daniels also said the Rangers have not given up on Michael Choice."

"Left-hander Matt Harrison is doing remarkably well in his attempted comeback from multiple back surgeries, but Daniels stopped short of saying he expected Harrison to ever pitch again.
“There is just not a track record this kind of situation,” Daniels said. “He feels good. [Dr. Andrew Dossett] says he looks good. I’m cautiously optimistic. I hope for him – and for us – that he pitches again.”

"On the possibility of right-hander and former first-round draft choice Alex “Chi-Chi” Gonzalez competing for a rotation spot in spring training in 2015: “He could be a piece for us,” said Daniels. “If you polled our development guys and our scouts, I think you would hear his name a lot as somebody who has taken a step up.”
Gonzalez went a combined 12-6 with a 2.66 ERA at Class A and Double-A in his second season in professional baseball in 2014. He does not have to be put on the 40-man roster this winter, but is likely to get an invitation to major league spring training as a non-roster player."

I would really hate to see Rua platoon with Moreland. Moreland's speed would be a great hinderance in LF but more importantly I would not want to short circuit Rua by having him face mostly LHers. If we do not fill the LF void in the off season Rua really needs the opportunity to be the primary LF regardless of who is pitching.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would really hate to see Rua platoon with Moreland. Moreland's speed would be a great hinderance in LF but more importantly I would not want to short circuit Rua by having him face mostly LHers. If we do not fill the LF void in the off season Rua really needs the opportunity to be the primary LF regardless of who is pitching.

I have mixed emotions on platooning.

But I feel this about having young OF doing so. How are we ever going to cultivate or even know if he's ever going to be able to hit full time if we platoon him?

And he looked like he adapted quite well to LF once he got a few games under his belt. To me, there's little doubt he'll be considerably better than MM defensively.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9m9 minutes ago Amateur scouting director Kip Fagg and a group of #Rangers scouts in Guatemala today to watch 19-year-old Cuban Yoan Moncada work out.

Moncada stepped up to the country’s 18U national league in 2012, where he again led the league in batting average, OBP and slugging by hitting .434/.543/.648 in 152 plate appearances with a league-best 20 steals in 24 tries.

Could he be Beltre's replacement at 3rd? He's 6', 210 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres are listening to trade offers for Ian Kennedy, Andrew Cashner and Tyson Ross, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports ([ame="[MEDIA=twitter]532584189347258369[/MEDIA]"]Twitter[/ame] [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]532584215112851457[/MEDIA]"]links[/ame]). The team would look for hitting in return, though you’d suspect the asking prices would vary given the levels of team control — Kennedy is a free agent after the 2015 season, Cashner after 2016 and Ross after 2017. Rosenthal speculates that the Braves, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Indians, Rangers and Royals could fit as possible trade partners for San Diego.

C'mon JD. Go get Cashner!

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres are listening to trade offers for Ian Kennedy, Andrew Cashner and Tyson Ross, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter links). The team would look for hitting in return, though you’d suspect the asking prices would vary given the levels of team control — Kennedy is a free agent after the 2015 season, Cashner after 2016 and Ross after 2017. Rosenthal speculates that the Braves, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Indians, Rangers and Royals could fit as possible trade partners for San Diego.

C'mon JD. Go get Cashner!
Doesn't look like anything done soon. Probably during winter meeting. Hopefully JD laying groundwork.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers are close to a four-year deal with Victor Martinez, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter link). Martinez is represented by Octagon.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed emotions on platooning.

But I feel this about having young OF doing so. How are we ever going to cultivate or even know if he's ever going to be able to hit full time if we platoon him?

And he looked like he adapted quite well to LF once he got a few games under his belt. To me, there's little doubt he'll be considerably better than MM defensively.

I am not big on platooning either. Moreland is a bench player anyway. I want to see Rua get the chance to bat against righties and lefties. Wash loved to platoon younger players. I hope Banister is not as big of a fan of platooning.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cashner is a very good pitcher, but he would only be under team control for 2 years. Then he becomes a free agent and makes the big bucks and says adios. Also, I think Rua would be an add on. They would want a higher rated prospect or two to head up the offer.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Kluber of the Cleveland Indians was named the American League's top pitcher, winning his first Cy Young Award.

Kluber captured 17 first-place votes and 169 points, narrowly edging out Felix Hernandez of the Mariners who earned the other 13 first-place votes and 159 points. White Sox LHP Chris Sale finished third with 78 points.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Kluber of the Cleveland Indians was named the American League's top pitcher, winning his first Cy Young Award.

Kluber captured 17 first-place votes and 169 points, narrowly edging out Felix Hernandez of the Mariners who earned the other 13 first-place votes and 159 points. White Sox LHP Chris Sale finished third with 78 points.
Good for Corey. And for Clayton as well.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenta Maeda is pitching against some MLB All Stars on MLB Network if anyone is interested. He's one that I thought we should keep our eye on earlier in the year.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I called him as a dark horse back in June. Damn I was right.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moncada has yet to be unblocked by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control or Major League Baseball, so the timeline for his arrival on the free agent market is uncertain, but the timing of his arrival is critical. If Moncada isn’t declared a free agent until next year’s signing period (the current signing period runs through June 15, 2015), the Angels, Yankees and Red Sox would not be able to sign him, as the penalties they’ve incurred prevent them from signing a player for more than $300K in the next two signing periods. If he’s declared a free agent in the current signing period, the Rangers and Cubs, who exceeded their bonus pool in the 2013-14 signing period, would not be able to sign him