• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM just made a catch I serious doubt Prince gets a glove on......

But it's been a long 2nd.........4-0 with 2 outs

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM really ripped that one.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince is looking good. Getting lift on the ball again and hitting some scorchers. He and Beltre's timing are just a touch off, but should be good to go by opening day. My projections are as follows.

CF: Martin
SS: Andrus
RF: Choo
3B: Beltre
1B: Fielder
DH: Moreland
C: Chirinos
LF: Rua
2b: Odor

Could possibly slide Rua in behind Fielder and move every one down a slot

Holland
Gallardo
Lewis
Detweiler
Martinez

Thanks! Great to hear Prince is looking good and hitting the ball hard again. I think him and the rotation are key to us having any sort of success this season. I never worry about Beltre, seems like he always starts slow.

I gotta admit that rotation scares the crap out of me. The only guy I really have that much confidence in is Holland and he still has an up and down history. He's not an Ace either of course. I love Lewis but in the regular season he is more of a work horse (which you need) more than anything else. I'm hoping to be surprised by Gallardo and Detweiler. Like I said, I could be wrong though, I haven't followed that closely this Spring so my 2 cents my not be worth much here. What are you thoughts on the rotation?

I'm pretty excited about Rua and Odor this season. I can see Odor working his way up the lineup some as the season progresses. It looks like he has had a great spring. Really hope Choo comes around as well, would love to see him get his OBP up and work his way back into the lead off spot- which is why I think we favored him over Nelly (well at least us here but I figure the font office too).

I think the lineup I would like to see would be:

1. Choo (L) (assuming he get his his OBP up)
2. Andrus (R)
3. Fielder (L)
4. Beltre (R)
5. Rua/Moreland (R/L)
6. Moreland/Rua (L/R)
7. Odor (L)
8. Chirinos (R)
9. Martin (L)

Would even like to see Odor in the 2 hole but then all the lefties would be bunched.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks! Great to hear Prince is looking good and hitting the ball hard again. I think him and the rotation are key to us having any sort of success this season. I never worry about Beltre, seems like he always starts slow.

I gotta admit that rotation scares the crap out of me. The only guy I really have that much confidence in is Holland and he still has an up and down history. He's not an Ace either of course. I love Lewis but in the regular season he is more of a work horse (which you need) more than anything else. I'm hoping to be surprised by Gallardo and Detweiler. Like I said, I could be wrong though, I haven't followed that closely this Spring so my 2 cents my not be worth much here. What are you thoughts on the rotation?

I'm pretty excited about Rua and Odor this season. I can see Odor working his way up the lineup some as the season progresses. It looks like he has had a great spring. Really hope Choo comes around as well, would love to see him get his OBP up and work his way back into the lead off spot- which is why I think we favored him over Nelly (well at least us here but I figure the font office too).

I think the lineup I would like to see would be:

1. Choo (L) (assuming he get his his OBP up)
2. Andrus (R)
3. Fielder (L)
4. Beltre (R)
5. Rua/Moreland (R/L)
6. Moreland/Rua (L/R)
7. Odor (L)
8. Chirinos (R)
9. Martin (L)

Would even like to see Odor in the 2 hole but then all the lefties would be bunched.

They've stated that they want Choo in a spot that more suited to a guy that's a run producer, and hopefully Martin can bump his OBP to the 340s at least (.325 last year), and that way they can maximize both players talents... so it really depends on Martin

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've stated that they want Choo in a spot that more suited to a guy that's a run producer, and hopefully Martin can bump his OBP to the 340s at least (.325 last year), and that way they can maximize both players talents... so it really depends on Martin

Has Choo every really been that guy in his MLB career, if so has he had any success at it? If he hasn't, it doesn't seem like a good idea to try and change that now if you ask me (and no one is). He already struggled some last season and I sort of wonder if it had something to do with him being moved around some due to our injuries, could be wrong of course. All I know is I was pumped to get him as our lead off guy last season and disappointed it didn't pan out... especially because of my feeling about Nelly but I won't start that again.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Choo every really been that guy in his MLB career, if so has he had any success at it? If he hasn't, it doesn't seem like a good idea to try and change that now if you ask me (and no one is). He already struggled some last season and I sort of wonder if it had something to do with him being moved around some due to our injuries, could be wrong of course. All I know is I was pumped to get him as our lead off guy last season and disappointed it didn't pan out... especially because of my feeling about Nelly but I won't start that again.
In the past he has flashed more power when not in the lead off role.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2008-2012 w/ Cleveland so not including the last 2 seasons he was primarily a leadoff hitter which would suppress RBI numbers, not sure how much he led off with Cleveland either

162 game averages

21 HRs 89 RBIs .291 AVG, .384 OBP, .471 SLG, .855 OPS

Seems like a pretty good run producer when given the chance, including 2010: 22, 90, .300, .401, .484 in 144 games

In 2009 he batted mostly cleanup (85 games) with a .917 OPS, followed by a .812 OPS in 49 games batting 3rd

2010, mostly 3rd 105 games with a .881 OPS

He was hurt in 2011

2012 is the first year he was primarily a leadoff hitter with 99 games there (.881 OPS)

Last edited:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008-2012 w/ Cleveland so not including the last 2 seasons he was primarily a leadoff hitter which would suppress RBI numbers, not sure how much he led off with Cleveland either

162 game averages

21 HRs 89 RBIs .291 AVG, .384 OBP, .471 SLG, .855 OPS

Seems like a pretty good run producer when given the chance, including 2010: 22, 90, .300, .401, .484 in 144 games

In 2009 he batted mostly cleanup (85 games) with a .917 OPS, followed by a .812 OPS in 49 games batting 3rd

2010, mostly 3rd 105 games with a .881 OPS

He was hurt in 2011

2012 is the first year he was primarily a leadoff hitter with 99 games there (.881 OPS)

Good info, thanks jta. That does give much more confidence in the decision.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would like for one of the veterans(Ludwick or Schierholtz) to be the backup on the big league roster and let both Smolinski and Peguero go to Round Rock and play everyday. This might be the best minor league depth we have had in the OF in quite some time.

I have no desire to see Ludwick play for the Rangers. I am tired of players on the downhill slide stinking it up for the Rangers. I am more intrigued with Nate if I have to make a choice between the two. Not sure what playing Smolinski everyday at AAA does for him or us as he had no problem

Something to think about with Odor. The article states he was rushed from AA to the majors. But he finished the 2013 season with 134 ABs at Frisco followed with 129 ABs at Frisco to start 2014 then was called up. He actually had about 1/2 a season at AA. If you look at it from that perspective then you can see that there could be something really special with this guy as he keeps learning and maturing. His defense is erratic at times but he will get there. Love his confidence.

On Fujikawa, not much has been said about him but he has done a nice job this ST. We really need for him to come up big for us in the pen as I do not have a good feeling about the bullpen as a whole.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in and out of the game after the first 2/3 innings last night.

But I swear, the umpiring sure looked "uneven" at best to me. The strike zone wasn't the same for both teams and I thought both MM and Johnson were both safe on the basepaths.

Not bitching b/c it's ST for everyone, including the umps too.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're overreacting. Plenty of time to make a decision on the DL.
The gist of the article was that by the time the season starts Choo might have to DH. I am saying that if he is still hurt by Opening Day then he should be on the DL. Shut him down and get him completely well instead of letting him swing the bat with a bad arm. There is still plenty of time to put him on the DL, but I do think he should be put there if he is not ready by Opening Day. It wouldn't be a bad idea to not allow him to play in exhibition games until they are sure so if he was placed on the DL it could be done retroactive a few days.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in and out of the game after the first 2/3 innings last night.

But I swear, the umpiring sure looked "uneven" at best to me. The strike zone wasn't the same for both teams and I thought both MM and Johnson were both safe on the basepaths.

Not bitching b/c it's ST for everyone, including the umps too.

You couldn't be any worse than that whiny bitch Scioscia throwing his hands up with that stupid Archie Bunker look on his face the other day. That still irks me that he fucked up Bannister's attempt to see Claudio in a lefty matchup situation by pinching for a right handed hitter like it was a regular season game. He's such a bitch.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like today's lineup. Only switch I might make... would be Choo/Fielder.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't be any worse than that whiny bitch Scioscia throwing his hands up with that stupid Archie Bunker look on his face the other day. That still irks me that he fucked up Bannister's attempt to see Claudio in a lefty matchup situation by pinching for a right handed hitter like it was a regular season game. He's such a bitch.

Well, hopefully not anyway.

That SOB also forced Bannister to remove Detwiler last night too. Jeff wanted to see him go one more inning. I forget the exact circumstances, and there was a blurb (DMN today) about it. Can't put my finger on it at the moment.

WTF is he thinking?